Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2020 Draft Needs
Hey
Please list Bengals 2020 draft needs for upcoming draft by position group. I am curious.
My list in order:

QB
OL
LB
OL
WR
LB
TE

If Baun or Queen are there at #33, you can swap OL & LB in the order. I also think DE is a significant need but cannot fit all needs on one draft...
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Great thread. This is a good exercise. I'm with you in rounds 1-3.

There are a couple of top ranked OTs and Guards/Centers who could very well fall to 33, and they're more likely to be there than one of the top LBs. I think Oline has to take precedence this year at the 33rd pick. So, unless Baun or Queen falls to 33, we go Oline. If we get Baun or Queen, then I think we have to look Oline in 3.

If we take an OT in 2, then we should target either Shane Lemieux or (preferably in my view) Solomon Kindley IF they fall to the 4th round.

If we take an OG (i.e., Cesar Ruiz or Lloyd Cushenberry) in round 2, then Ben Bartch might be the only OT who might possibly fall to 4 who'd be worth taking. Otherwise, I think there'll be more value at WR in the 4th than at Oline.

I'd be fine with LB in 3, especially if Malik Harrison is still there. Harrison has enough speed for what we're doing on D, I believe. I think he can be a 3 down ILB. I think/hope Bynes is a 1 year stop gap. If we take Harrison, I hope he's ready to start. If he's not there, then we can double dip in the 3rd and 6th at OLB, I'd love to team up a couple of Carolina boys (Davis-Gaither & Strnad).

QB   Joe Burrow, QB LSU
OT   Josh Jones , OT Houston
LB   Willie Gay, LB, Miss State
WR Van Jefferson, WR, FLorida
OL Yasir Durant, IOL, Missouri
LB Justin Strnad OLB Wake Forest
WR Jauan Jennings , WR Tennessee

EDIT: I added players, based on what I posted here last night using TDN Mock Simulator. 

ADMISSION: I changed my 5th Round pick from WR to IOL when I read a little more about Durant. He played OT in college, but seems like a better fit at Guard in the NFL. 
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
For me, I'll go this route:

1) QB (Burrow, LSU)

2) OL (Ruiz, Michigan)

3) LB (Dye,Oregon)

4) WR (Gandy-Golden, Liberty)

5) DE/Edge ( Garvin-Miami.Fla)

6) OL (McKivitz, West Virginia)

7) LB/S (Muse, Clemson)
Reply/Quote
Here's my list in order with the round that I would first consider addressing that position in the draft:

1. QB. (1)
2. LB (3-4)
3. TE (3-4)
4. WR (2-3)
5. RT (2-3)
6. IOL (3)
Reply/Quote
1. QB
2. LB
3. WR
4. OT
5. OG
6. TE
7. LB

Reply/Quote
(04-01-2020, 08:47 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Hey
Please list Bengals 2020 draft needs for upcoming draft by position group.  I am curious.  
My list in order:

QB
OL
LB
OL
WR
LB
TE

If Baun or Queen are there at #33, you can swap OL & LB in the order.  I also think DE is a significant need but cannot fit all needs on one draft...

From a pure need standpoint...

#1.OG-There is not a worse position group on this team.  XSF is a serviceable starter, but Jordan, Price, and Redmond are all brutally bad.  I don't know that Price could start in the XFL, he's so bad.  Redmond has had his opportunities and shown that he's not even backup quality.  Jordan has upside, but last year did nothing to inspire confidence.

#2.RB-Mixon is in a contract year and history shows us that RB's tend to hold out into the regular season in contract years and it's also a mistake to sign RB's for significant money.  Gio cannot handle the load if Mixon gets hurt or holds out, and he's shown signs of slowing down.  Williams didn't earn a single snap on offense after an underwhelming preseason and Anderson is always hurt.

#3.LB-Bynes is a solid add, but he's only on a one year deal.  Pratt improved down the stretch, but it's woefully thin behind him with guys like Evans and Nickerson.  They need depth, and a quality starter would be a big upgrade.  We look ok in nickel on paper, but base is very dicey.

#4.WR-AJ, Ross, and Tate have missed a combined 47 games over the last 2 years.  Green and Ross are also in contract years.  Erickson has been underwhelming as a position player and guys like Willis, Morgan, and Thomas have proven to be nothing but ST's guys to this point.

#5.QB-At the time of this writing, Dalton is still under contract and is a serviceable starter.  However, he's also in a contract year and Finley looked terrible.  Make no mistake, Burrow is and should be the pick at #1, but if we're talking need based purely on talent pool and availability, other spots are more dire.

#6.TE-Uzomah is frankly overpaid and very mediocre.  Sample hardly played before getting injured last year and Schreck and Carter are your typical bubble TE's.  

#7.OT-Williams by all rights should solidify the LT spot.  Hart is by no means great or even good, but he's serviceable.  Fred Johnson showed a lot of promise last year and Isaiah Prince is a guy with some tools that never put it together in college.
Reply/Quote
(04-02-2020, 03:24 AM)BURROWorBUST Wrote: Great thread. This is a good exercise. I'm with you in rounds 1-3.

There are a couple of top ranked OTs and Guards/Centers who could very well fall to 33, and they're more likely to be there than one of the top LBs. I think Oline has to take precedence this year at the 33rd pick. So, unless Baun or Queen falls to 33, we go Oline. If we get Baun or Queen, then I think we have to look Oline in 3.

If we take an OT in 2, then we should target either Shane Lemieux or (preferably in my view) Solomon Kindley IF they fall to the 4th round.

If we take an OG (i.e., Cesar Ruiz or Lloyd Cushenberry) in round 2, then Ben Bartch might be the only OT who might possibly fall to 4 who'd be worth taking. Otherwise, I think there'll be more value at WR in the 4th than at Oline.

I'd be fine with LB in 3, especially if Malik Harrison is still there. Harrison has enough speed for what we're doing on D, I believe. I think he can be a 3 down ILB. I think/hope Bynes is a 1 year stop gap. If we take Harrison, I hope he's ready to start. If he's not there, then we can double dip in the 3rd and 6th at OLB, I'd love to team up a couple of Carolina boys (Davis-Gaither & Strnad).

QB   Joe Burrow, QB LSU
OT   Josh Jones , OT Houston
LB   Willie Gay, LB, Miss State
WR Van Jefferson, WR, FLorida
OL Yasir Durant, IOL, Missouri
LB Justin Strnad OLB Wake Forest
WR Jauan Jennings , WR Tennessee

EDIT: I added players, based on what I posted here last night using TDN Mock Simulator. 

ADMISSION: I changed my 5th Round pick from WR to IOL when I read a little more about Durant. He played OT in college, but seems like a better fit at Guard in the NFL. 
WhoDey2 I read somewhere that Josh Jones got arrested recently. His stock could plummet...Just a FYI... 
The only thing I hate worse than Pittsburgh football...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

SLIM--gone, but never forgotten...

Original Bengals message boards
Rep Points: 4726

Reply/Quote
You might be thinking of Jon Jones, the UFC fighter.
Reply/Quote
Biggest needs
1.) QB- Andy needs a change of scenery and Finley is terrible. Its the most important position in football.
Early RD target- Joe Burrow ,middle RD target- Jake Fromm Georgia Sleeper- Tyler Huntley Utah. Trade target Derek Carr LV

2.) LB- we need one that can play all three downs. It's the biggest problem they have had for the past three seasons. It's been time to address it.

Early RD- Patrick Queen LSU MRD Gay  Sleeper- logan Wilson Wyoming. Trade Targets Deion Jones ATL or Lavante David TB
3.) CB- William Jackson is in his contract season + Alexander only signed a one year deal. We're looking at the possibility of losing two starters there at that position.

Early RD Bryce Hall Virginia  middle-Troy Pride Notre Dame Late- AJ Green Oklahoma ST. 
Trade Target- N/A
4.) 3T- 3T is the most important position on defense you need somebody that can give penetration up the middle giggidy and collapse the pocket on a consistent basis. We have been spoiled with Geno this past decade but we should be on the lookout for a new one.
Early RD Ross Blayock TCU,Middle RD Khali Davis Nebraska, Sleeper- Garrett Marino UAB Trade N/A

5.) RT- Bobby Hart sucks do I need to go on.
Early-Andrew  Thomas Georgia, Middle Peart UConn, late Bartch St Johns  trade- Trent Williams WSH
6.) WR- Both AJ and Ross will be free agents at end of season
Early- Justin Jefferson LSU, Middle KJ Hill Ohio ST, late Gabriel Davis UCF trade Target N/A
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
We need 3 starters and a few guys high in the rotation still, but the draft is not the only answer. They should be ready to trade or have a deal in place with a FA as opposed to "Sample" the overdrafting menu..

1. QB-Need and solution =Burrow is a lock

2. LB-Need: ILB with coverage skills

Solution: When the pick comes up (2nd, 3rd or 4th) if this player is near BPA then take him. One underrated solution we have to consider is if this is not the scenario then they trade a 4th or 5th for a descent vet LB. If another team takes a LB that is too high of value to pass on, that team may trade a league average guy or even just to clean up cap room. In a 3-4 variation, they'll need a capable 3 man rotation inside. Pratt improved, Bynes is a solid band-aid and Evans was inconsistent. Since any of these guys can be leaped by a high pick, you'd love to plug and play a true 3 down type that can cover and not get pushes around. There is a chance that they play more 3 safety looks, but they'll need better LB play no matter what they run.

3. T/G-Need: A starter

Solution: I love the change in FO philosophy but another change that needs to happen is not settling for banking on young players being dependable starters before they earn it. They have AT LEAST one need of a starting OL. Many of us have speculated that they're content with Hart at RT, but you can't bank on him and one of the pups at LG to start. One or the other but not both. To solve this need, you either:

-take the BPA in the 2nd or 3rd to start, either at guard or tackle
-sign a vet like Peters, Beachum or Person
-trade for a vet like Trent Williams or another capable starter

Doing this drops the need, so you can pick one by the late-mid rounds instead of by the 3rd. This is the best proactive move, to guard against passing on a blue chip corner, TE, DE, etc.. because you're affraid of there being a run on tackles so you take a mid-late 3rd grade tackle or guard because you didn't plan well. Bottom line is we are counting on too much to act like we don't have to be agressive to fix the OL.

4. OLB: Rush type? Only they truly know

Solution: It's polarizing how the defensive depth chart will really look in this 3-4 variation, this is a wildcard need that may even affect need #2. Some of you may, but I don't think they'll use Carlos in the Elephant/rush LB/whatever role, but true DE instead. That means you likely have Hubbard in this role, and the other spot is up for grabs. Maybe they platoon Lawson to keep him fresh behind both OLB's, maybe they run safety heavy with Williams and Bell BOTH at SS with Bates in CF. For this reason, a guy like Baun that can hold his own in short coverage, play the run and rush fits very well. I don't like targeting picks though, so at the least they need to have another player they can play on the outside with better coverage skills than Hubbard and Lawson.

5. WR

Solution: Though a receiving TE may be the bigger need fit, there is too much talent in the draft at WR and AJ is on an expiring deal. They're going to have to take advantage of this and get Burrow a future starting WR with one of those mid round picks. Boyd, Ross and Erickson are slot types with the first two able to play outside. They can afford to not be picky with type here, but an outside WR with average speed is a guy you need to round out the depth chart.

You can argue for these positions, but if they have to scrape the FA market or let guys battle I think they're ok.

TE: I think they'll play one TE at a time with as much WR talent as they'll have. Uzomah is a fringe starter, Sample the blocker and button hook type, but they could use a receiving type to push for the 3rd TE spot.

DE: Philosophy here again. If Geno and Dunlap are 3-4 DE's, then Glasgow, Wren and Brown only need a mid-late pick or cheap vet. If They're just moving the other DE spot around (Hubbard/Lawson) then I still don't see as big of a need above the top 5 needs listed.

S: This is the one I had issues over. I think they see Bates with Wilson behind him as a true CF, again SS may be a different position than what some of us are planning for. If they're running a safety heavy defense, don't be surprised if they don't draft a mid round CF type to push Bates or a 3rd player that can play SS if they see it as an actual strategy.

Another OL: I'm hoping for an actual starter with one spot, so I'll settle for another backup to groom anywhere on the line really.
Reply/Quote
Qb
ILB
Olb/edge
Oline
Safety
Wr
Tight end
Corner
Dline
Reply/Quote
It was an uphill battle from the jump, trying to fix this team in one offseason that is. But I think they're making a good run at it. With all the D acquired in free agency it's a pretty safe bet it's gonna be an O heavy draft.

1. QB - Burrow for sure

2. WR/LB - Whoever they have rated higher at these two positions you snatch them up.

3. WR/LB - whatever we got in round 2 take the other here.

We need another LB pretty bad and i just don't trust AJ and Ross to stay on the field and produce.

4. OG/OT - best Olineman available

5. OG/OT - best Olineman available

6. WR

7. BPA
Reply/Quote