Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2020 NFL Triplets Ranking - Bengals get some respect
Triplets meaning the QB, #1 WR and #1 RB, which for the Bengals is Burrow, Green and Mixon.

Bengals come in at #19. And they are placed ahead of New England (26), LA Rams (24) and Indy (23).

https://www.nfl.com/news/2020-nfl-triplets-rankings-chiefs-overtake-saints-at-no-1

Quote:19. Cincinnati Bengals Score: 63

Quarterback: Joe Burrow -- Rank: 28 (One game: 29 | 2020 prod.: 25)

Running back: Joe Mixon -- Rank: 8

Pass catcher: A.J. Green -- Rank: 13

Burrow played the position at a historically great level last year at LSU. And while the lack of rookie camps and preseason games will presumably hinder the rate at which he adjusts to NFL speed, the No. 1 overall pick has an extremely talented cast of weapons (and an improved O-line) to lean on. None are more important, though, than A.J. Green. The seven-time Pro Bowler, finally healthy after missing 23 games over the past two seasons (including all 16 last year), is a Hall of Fame talent who's about two full season's short of Hall of Fame numbers. His ability to elevate Burrow and rookie wideout Tee Higgins will ripple through the entire unit, giving dual-threat back Joe Mixon the complementary passing game he's so desperately needed since entering the league in 2017. This triplet could make me look real stupid by season's end, especially with 2019 first-round tackle Jonah Williams set to make his debut.

Burrow was ranked 28th, I presume since he's yet to do anything in the NFL. He's ranked ahead of Dwayne Haskins (T30), Sam Darnold (29), Mitch Tribisky (T30) [although I don't believe Tribisky is going to be the Bears starting QB - it'll be Nick Foles] and Tyrod Taylor (T30).

In looking through some of the ranking I was puzzled by the Browns who were placed at #11 with Odell Beckham Jr ranked 7 and Mayfield 19. That's a little too much love for those two head cases who I suspect will predictably implode.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
First line of that article says that it's an arbitrary stat, so I guess take it for entertainment value. I wonder where the authors predictions from the previous year ended up performing?
Confucius say, he who go to bed with itchy butt wake up with smelly finger.
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2020, 11:35 AM)WestCoastBengalsFan Wrote: First line of that article says that it's an arbitrary stat, so I guess take it for entertainment value. I wonder where the authors predictions from the previous year ended up performing?

I believe it's all for entertainment value.

Reply/Quote
The low ranking for Burrow pulls down Cincy, but does anyone really expect him (even outside of Cincy) to perform less than the likes of Garappolo, Cousins, Carr, Mayfield, Tannehill, or Kyler Murray? Those guys have had solid (Dalton-like) careers to this point. Murray is a great athlete and runner of the ball, but I seriously doubt he will be lighting up teams with his arm.

If you rank Burrow ahead (or at least at the same point) of those QBs, you will likely have the Bengals ranked right around 12-15, or mid-pack. This is where I think, as a triplet group, they would belong.

What makes the Bengals special on the offensive side of the ball is the next tier or players: John Ross, Tyler Boyd, CJ Uzomah, Gio Bernard, Tee Higgings, and Auden Tate. With all the attention being paid to Mixon and Green, those players will be huge contributors and Burrow is the guy to distribute the ball.

One thing that seems to be unanimously forgotten about Burrow is his ability to run. Not just move the pocket but the guy is more mobile than any QB I listed earlier except Murray.
Reply/Quote