Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2020 Official Bengals Message Board Mock Draft Round 2 Summary
33.Bengals select Chase Claypool, WR Notre Dame
34.Colts select Jordan Love, QB Utah St.
35.Lions select Neville Gallimore, DL Oklahoma
36.Giants select Grant Delpit, S LSU
37.Chargers select Jonathan Taylor, RB Wisconsin
38.Panthers select Patrick Queen, LB LSU
39.Dolphins select Laviska Shenault, WR Colorado
40.Texans select Ross Blacklock, DL TCU
41.Browns select Antoine Winfield Jr., S Minnesota
42.Jaguar select Austin Jackson, T USC
43.Bears select Noah Igbinoghene, CB Cal
44.Colts select Denzel Mims, WR Baylor
45.Buccaneers select Isaiah Wilson, T Georgia
46.Broncos select Bryce Hall, CB Virginia
47.Falcons select Jordan Elliott, DT Missouri
48.Jets select Brandon Aiyuk, WR Arizona St.
49.Steelers select Tee Higgins, WR Clemson
50.Bears select Ashtyn Davis, S Cal
51.Cowboys select Jaylon Johnson, CB Utah
52.Rams select Terrell Lewis, EDGE, Alabama
53.Eagles select KJ Hamler, WR Penn St.
54.Bills select Ezra Cleveland, T Boise St.
55.Ravens select Michael Pittman Jr., WR USC
56.Dolphins select Julien Okwara, EDGE Notre Dame
57.Rams select Prince Tega Wanagho, T Auburn
58.Vikings select Justin Madubuike, DL Texas A&M
59.Seahawks select Jeremy Chinn, S S.Illinois
60.Ravens select Josh Uche, EDGE, Michigan
61.Titans select JK Dobbins, RB Ohio St.
62.Packers select Tyler Biadasz, OL Wisconsin
63.Chiefs select Damon Arnette, CB Ohio St.
64.Seahawks select Clyde Edwards-Helaire, RB LSU
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Man I would hate to see the Ravens get Pittman.

Reply/Quote
Chase Claypool? Woof.
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2020, 08:20 AM)Schmitbuck Wrote: Chase Claypool? Woof.

With Higgins, Mims, and Shenault still on the board.....I like the WR pick but I would have pimp walked to the podium with Tee Higgins name in hand!

The Bengals drafter also traded and has a second third round pick, imo he could’ve waited for the first pick in the third and still got Claypool if that’s his guy.
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2020, 08:20 AM)Schmitbuck Wrote: Chase Claypool? Woof.

Well, after they Bill Obrien-ed away AJ for a bag of chips, they had to do something.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(04-15-2020, 01:50 PM)ShowMeUrTDs Wrote: With Higgins, Mims, and Shenault still on the board.....I like the WR pick but I would have pimp walked to the podium with Tee Higgins name in hand!

The Bengals drafter also traded and has a second third round pick, imo he could’ve waited for the first pick in the third and still got Claypool if that’s his guy.

Lol, I knew that wouldn't be a popular pick.

I like Higgins, but he completely bombed his pro day.  I have as a late 2nd-early 3rd.

Shenault has way too many injury flags for me to want him at 33 with this WR class.  We've just been burned too many times with injury prone draft picks from early in the draft.

The thing that put Claypool over Mims was his size and physicality.  AFCN DB's aren't going to be able to bully him around.  He's also a nasty run blocker.

With 12 WR"s going in the first 2 rounds, no way I think he'd be there in 3.
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2020, 02:20 PM)McC Wrote: Well, after they Bill Obrien-ed away AJ for a bag of chips, they had to do something.

Lol, I knew that wouldn't be popular, either, but you also have to be realistic.  AJ is a soon to be 32 year old WR who hasn't played in a year and half, missed 29 of the last 64 games, has 1 1000 yard season in his last 4, and has a one year deal paying him $18 mil.  I'm not convinced an extension gets done after last year, either.
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2020, 03:31 PM)Whatever Wrote: Lol, I knew that wouldn't be popular, either, but you also have to be realistic.  AJ is a soon to be 32 year old WR who hasn't played in a year and half, missed 29 of the last 64 games, has 1 1000 yard season in his last 4, and has a one year deal paying him $18 mil.  I'm not convinced an extension gets done after last year, either.

Sure, giving him away for a late third round pick and then having to count on a rookie so our offense doesn't look like last year is an utterly brilliant plan.

Bill Obrien called and gave it a thumbs up.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(04-15-2020, 03:39 PM)McC Wrote: Sure, giving him away for a late third round pick and then having to count on a rookie so our offense doesn't look like last year is an utterly brilliant plan.

Bill Obrien called and gave it a thumbs up.

Well, the past 2 years our plan was hope AJ stays healthy.  It hasn't worked out so well.  Everyone gets old.  At this rate, the over/under on his availability is 4 games based on the past 2years.  
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2020, 03:55 PM)Whatever Wrote: Well, the past 2 years our plan was hope AJ stays healthy.  It hasn't worked out so well.  Everyone gets old.  At this rate, the over/under on his availability is 4 games based on the past 2years.  

According to whom?

He's 32 but look how much rest he's had the past two years.

I just thank Jeebus that, in the real world, such an abysmal and one sided trade will not happen and the Bengals will not allow themselves to be bent over like that.

Reply/Quote
I can get behind the Chase Claypool pick I wouldn't do it over Denzel Mims because I think he showed more polish in Mobile but Chase is a future X receiver that is on the ascend.... Its that third round pick I'm worried about Whatever lol.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(04-15-2020, 04:04 PM)McC Wrote: According to whom?

He's 32 but look how much rest he's had the past two years.

I just thank Jeebus that, in the real world, such an abysmal and one sided trade will not happen and the Bengals will not allow themselves to be bent over like that.

AJ has played 9 games the past two years.  So an average of 4.5 games a year.

Put it another way, John Ross has played more games the last 3 years than AJ.

You keep likening this to the Hopkins trade, but AJ isn't comparable to Hopkins.  Hopkins is only 27, in his prime, and is only 300 yards or so behind AJ for career receiving yards.  He also had a long term deal and has only missed 2 games his entire career.  AJ has nowhere near the value of DHop.
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2020, 04:43 PM)Whatever Wrote: AJ has played 9 games the past two years.  So an average of 4.5 games a year.

Put it another way, John Ross has played more games the last 3 years than AJ.

You keep likening this to the Hopkins trade, but AJ isn't comparable to Hopkins.  Hopkins is only 27, in his prime, and is only 300 yards or so behind AJ for career receiving yards.  He also had a long term deal and has only missed 2 games his entire career.  AJ has nowhere near the value of DHop.

The past CAN be a predictor of the future.  But that doesn't mean it always is.

The whole story, to me, is that AJ's greatest value to the Bengals is being a Bengal and not as GB's path to the SB.

I wasn't comparing AJ to Hopkins.  I was using that as an example of utterly awful trades.

It would be wrong for the Bengals to pay AJ 18 mil for the year, but somehow the Packers would want to?  Give me a break.

Mike Brown will not allow himself to be hosed like that.  Thank God.

We'll just agree to disagree because you will never convince me that trade would ever be anything but moronic.

The Bengals baked a nice cake in the off season.  Please don't stop it into dust with such an epically stupid move.

Reply/Quote
(04-15-2020, 04:56 PM)McC Wrote: The past CAN be a predictor of the future.  But that doesn't mean it always is.

The whole story, to me, is that AJ's greatest value to the Bengals is being a Bengal and not as GB's path to the SB.

I wasn't comparing AJ to Hopkins.  I was using that as an example of utterly awful trades.

It would be wrong for the Bengals to pay AJ 18 mil for the year, but somehow the Packers would want to?  Give me a break.

Mike Brown will not allow himself to be hosed like that.  Thank God.

We'll just agree to disagree because you will never convince me that trade would ever be anything but moronic.

The Bengals baked a nice cake in the off season.  Please don't stop it into dust with such an epically stupid move.

The past isn't a predictor all of the time, but you can apply that logic to anything.  I could just as easily argue that AJ will stay healthy all year and perform worse than Damion Willis last year because the past is not always a predictor of the future.  You look at all the available data and make the best decision based on that.  Every personnel decision every team makes is based on the past.

How so?  The Bengals are in a rebuilding year.  This team isn't close to a SB run.  AJ is in a contract year and it very much seems like no extension is going to happen.  In sports, when a team is rebuilding, they trade aging players with expiring contracts for prospects, draft picks, and cap space to spend on FA's and resign their young players.  Why is AJ Green different?

AJ Green is currently the 4th highest paid WR in the league.  What are the odds AJ is Top 5 in receiving yards this year?  He hasn't even been in the Top 10 since 2015.  What are the odds he misses a significant number of games?  A lot higher.  He has a minimally low chance of producing to a level befitting his contract based on his career production and injury history.  Dumping bad contracts for draft picks is never "idiotic" or "moronic."  I am assuming GB is assuming the risk because they are hoping he can stay healthy enough and produce enough to help put them over the top.  I'm pretty certain they don't expect him to play up to his deal, but they are close.  We are not.

What good teams do is get out from under aging vets on big contracts before they hit the wall.  They either cut them, renegotiate a pay cut, trade them, or let them walk in FA.  That's why Tom Brady is now a Buccaneer.  AJ arguably has already hit the wall.

We can certainly agree to disagree, but when you use terms like "moronic", "idiotic", and "stupid" combined with "you will never convince me", it seems pretty obvious that your objections are based more on an emotional attachment to AJ than any kind of sound logic.  I hope AJ finds the fountain of youth, can stay healthy, signs a new deal, plays like '11-15 AJ until he retires in his 40's as a Bengal with a fistful of SB rings, but it's just not realistic.  
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2020, 03:26 PM)Whatever Wrote: Lol, I knew that wouldn't be a popular pick.

I like Higgins, but he completely bombed his pro day.  I have as a late 2nd-early 3rd.

Shenault has way too many injury flags for me to want him at 33 with this WR class.  We've just been burned too many times with injury prone draft picks from early in the draft.

The thing that put Claypool over Mims was his size and physicality.  AFCN DB's aren't going to be able to bully him around.  He's also a nasty run blocker.

With 12 WR"s going in the first 2 rounds, no way I think he'd be there in 3.

Pro days don’t mean anything look at his game tape! Higgins is faster and has better hands than Claypool, he snatches the ball out of the air while Claypool often let’s the ball come in close to his body. I like Claypool, I just think that pick Higgins is way better, most experts have it ranked that way too.

GL on the next pick, I do think WR is of big importance tho and could even justify taking two this draft.
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2020, 07:12 PM)Whatever Wrote: The past isn't a predictor all of the time, but you can apply that logic to anything.  I could just as easily argue that AJ will stay healthy all year and perform worse than Damion Willis last year because the past is not always a predictor of the future.  You look at all the available data and make the best decision based on that.  Every personnel decision every team makes is based on the past.

How so?  The Bengals are in a rebuilding year.  This team isn't close to a SB run.  AJ is in a contract year and it very much seems like no extension is going to happen.  In sports, when a team is rebuilding, they trade aging players with expiring contracts for prospects, draft picks, and cap space to spend on FA's and resign their young players.  Why is AJ Green different?

AJ Green is currently the 4th highest paid WR in the league.  What are the odds AJ is Top 5 in receiving yards this year?  He hasn't even been in the Top 10 since 2015.  What are the odds he misses a significant number of games?  A lot higher.  He has a minimally low chance of producing to a level befitting his contract based on his career production and injury history.  Dumping bad contracts for draft picks is never "idiotic" or "moronic."  I am assuming GB is assuming the risk because they are hoping he can stay healthy enough and produce enough to help put them over the top.  I'm pretty certain they don't expect him to play up to his deal, but they are close.  We are not.

What good teams do is get out from under aging vets on big contracts before they hit the wall.  They either cut them, renegotiate a pay cut, trade them, or let them walk in FA.  That's why Tom Brady is now a Buccaneer.  AJ arguably has already hit the wall.

We can certainly agree to disagree, but when you use terms like "moronic", "idiotic", and "stupid" combined with "you will never convince me", it seems pretty obvious that your objections are based more on an emotional attachment to AJ than any kind of sound logic.  I hope AJ finds the fountain of youth, can stay healthy, signs a new deal, plays like '11-15 AJ until he retires in his 40's as a Bengal with a fistful of SB rings, but it's just not realistic.  
I completely disagree.  The opinion is based on how morose the offense looked without him last year, how the HC and the OC both went into how much they want him and the rookie QB also said he wants him.

And your whole scenario is based on the utterly misguided notion that Mike Brown would allow himself to be hosed out of his best player for what basically amounts to a fourth round pick.

Therefore, my opinion is based on available evidence and it seems yours is based purely on your own conjecture.

Reply/Quote
(04-17-2020, 06:34 PM)ShowMeUrTDs Wrote: Pro days don’t mean anything look at his game tape! Higgins is faster and has better hands than Claypool, he snatches the ball out of the air while Claypool often let’s the ball come in close to his body. I like Claypool, I just think that pick Higgins is way better, most experts have it ranked that way too.

GL on the next pick, I do think WR is of big importance tho and could even justify taking two this draft.

I’m basically of this opinion, also. I wouldn’t say pro days don’t mean anything, but game tape is more important. Also, I wouldn’t say Higgins bombed his pro day. But, I’ve watched Higgins play much more than Claypool. Ultimately, time will tell who is the better pro . . . maybe.
Reply/Quote
Just to chime in... I felt guilty getting AJ for the Packers for basically a 4th round pick. But hey, that's probably his value right now--which is why trading him now would be a bad move in my opinion. If we are to trade him (or any player), it should be when their value is high. With Dalton it's different. We need the cap space and have a better player to replace him. With AJ, there is no better player to replace him. We can afford to pay him. He makes our team better. Dalton doesn't make our team better if we have Burrow.

From the Packers perspective, they are getting a great deal. This move could propel them to a Super Bowl if AJ stays healthy--and he probably will. He's had ample time to heal and get even stronger. He'll come back extraordinarily hungry. Burrow and AJ would be a great combo, as would Rodgers and AJ.

On Claypool... I really like Claypool. He's new to the position, which you have to keep in mind. But he's a good route runner, and will only get better. Athletically he's extraordinary. He's fast. He's big. He can jump. He can catch. He can get better at boxing out and playing the ball in the air. But he's been getting better year after year, despite poor QB play. He's great after the catch. He's the best blocking WR in the draft. He's a much better blocker than the tight end out of Notre Dame. In my opinion he's a first round talent. You put him with a good QB like Brees or Rodgers or Burrow, etc... he'll grab 10 TDs. No problem. I would compare him physically to Mike Evans. He's a great chess piece, and a player on the rise. If the Bengals take a WR at 33 I'd want Claypool. I'd prefer they go with a linebacker or offensive lineman--hold onto AJ, grab a wideout a little later. But if the best player on the board is a wideout, go for it.
Reply/Quote
(04-17-2020, 08:28 PM)Bengalstripes18 Wrote: Just to chime in... I felt guilty getting AJ for the Packers for basically a 4th round pick. But hey, that's probably his value right now--which is why trading him now would be a bad move in my opinion. If we are to trade him (or any player), it should be when their value is high. With Dalton it's different. We need the cap space and have a better player to replace him. With AJ, there is no better player to replace him. We can afford to pay him. He makes our team better. Dalton doesn't make our team better if we have Burrow.

From the Packers perspective, they are getting a great deal. This move could propel them to a Super Bowl if AJ stays healthy--and he probably will. He's had ample time to heal and get even stronger. He'll come back extraordinarily hungry. Burrow and AJ would be a great combo, as would Rodgers and AJ.

On Claypool... I really like Claypool. He's new to the position, which you have to keep in mind. But he's a good route runner, and will only get better. Athletically he's extraordinary. He's fast. He's big. He can jump. He can catch. He can get better at boxing out and playing the ball in the air. But he's been getting better year after year, despite poor QB play. He's great after the catch. He's the best blocking WR in the draft. He's a much better blocker than the tight end out of Notre Dame. In my opinion he's a first round talent. You put him with a good QB like Brees or Rodgers or Burrow, etc... he'll grab 10 TDs. No problem. I would compare him physically to Mike Evans. He's a great chess piece, and a player on the rise. If the Bengals take a WR at 33 I'd want Claypool. I'd prefer they go with a linebacker or offensive lineman--hold onto AJ, grab a wideout a little later. But if the best player on the board is a wideout, go for it.
I'd have no problem with keeping AJ AND taking Claypool at 33.  Would help in the now and in the future.

Reply/Quote
We take Patrick Queen if he's there.
Reply/Quote