Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 5 Average
2020 Presidential Election
(09-10-2019, 04:30 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Whataboutisim is great fun. 

Indeed.  Which IMO is why you posted the story in the first place...

(09-10-2019, 04:30 PM)bfine32 Wrote: As to credit for the apology: None is given; as IMO she lied in her apology

Whoa!  Didn't know we had a mind reader/insider in our midsts!

(09-10-2019, 04:30 PM)bfine32 Wrote: and blamed others for being accepting of the word. She should have been forthright in her apology, unless we are to believe that she heard every word in the question except for that one word and was chuckling at another word in the question

BS.  You want to give Trump "credit" every time he changes his mind on some dumb thing.  You're simply playing partisan politics.

(09-10-2019, 04:30 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I would love for Biden to mention in the next debate to Khamala: "I'm not saying you find mocking the mentally handicapped funny, but....."

I'm sure you would.

Just like you "loved" seeing Trump's mocking of, well...anyone.  I'm sure.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(09-10-2019, 05:10 PM)GMDino Wrote: 1. Indeed.  Which IMO is why you posted the story in the first place...

2. Whoa!  Didn't know we had a mind reader/insider in our midsts!

3. BS.  You want to give Trump "credit" every time he changes his mind on some dumb thing.  You're simply playing partisan politics.

4. I'm sure you would.

Just like you "loved" seeing Trump's mocking of, well...anyone.  I'm sure.
Let's not attack me personally; it'll get me banned again. 

1. I posted the story because it was of interest, in was in the appropriate thread, and I know of at least one forum member that detests the use of the word.

2. You do realize that IMO stands for "In My Opinion" don't you. No mind reading involved; simply an opinion and no need for the insult

3. What was that you said about mind reading?

4. Not sure what that has to do with what I typed, but it has more to do with the dynamic of Kamala going with the "I'm not saying you're a racist, but..." line in the 1st debate.

5. I do not like to see Trump mocking "anyone". 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(09-09-2019, 10:13 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Kamala Harris laughs at a slur that is offensive to disabled people and stated it was "Well said. Well said"

https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/07/politics/kamala-harris-trump-questioner-offensive-remark/index.html

When called out on it she took the morale high-group and stated "She didn't hear it". She must say "Well said. Well said" to everything she doesn't hear.

It's sad that adults still use that word and that a candidate would treat it as normal. I'm glad she apologized and hopefully she uses it as a learning experience, but it certainly rubs me the wrong way. People should know that it's easier to apologize for using or normalizing the offensive word rather than doubling down on it. 

Hopefully there won't be any future incidents that turn disabilities into a joke. 
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

I know I voiced my displeasure over how the DNC shafted Bernie in 2016. I must say it pales in comparison to what the GOP is pulling in 2020:
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/arizona-gop-cancels-2020-presidential-primary/

Quote:Arizona Republicans told state election officials Monday they're scrapping their 2020 primary, joining GOP leaders in three other states that are forgoing a presidential nominating contest as President Trump seeks re-election.

Longshot candidates challenging Mr. Trump for the Republican nomination have objected to the moves in Nevada, South Carolina and Kansas to skip GOP primaries or caucuses next year.

It makes me sick to my stomach and I very well may be looking for a central-leaning Dem. Go Mayor Pete!!

(09-11-2019, 06:32 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I know I voiced my displeasure over how the DNC shafted Bernie in 2016. I must say it pales in comparison to what the GOP is pulling in 2020:

It makes me sick to my stomach and I very well may be looking for a central-leaning Dem. Go Mayor Pete!!

I wonder if any backlash will hurt the Arizona GOP in the tight Senate race.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

So what's it going to be tonight: 3rd Debate or Thursday Night Football?

(09-12-2019, 05:07 PM)bfine32 Wrote: So what's it going to be tonight: 3rd Debate or Thursday Night Football?

Can't you do both? One does not need to see the candidates, and one does not need to hear the commentators.

- I am curious whether the moderation remains the same. "Candidate x, candidate y has said something very nasty about you. Please respond to said candidate in a manner that is harsh enough to allow for an "how awful, this is a circular firing squad" analysis."
(09-11-2019, 06:32 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I know I voiced my displeasure over how the DNC shafted Bernie in 2016. I must say it pales in comparison to what the GOP is pulling in 2020:

I like that Mayor Pete is even remotely appealing to you bfine.  My allegiance has drifted to Yang, but I'll be right back behind Pete if when he's booted.
(09-12-2019, 06:31 PM)Vas Deferens Wrote: I like that Mayor Pete is even remotely appealing to you bfine.  My allegiance has drifted to Yang, but I'll be right back behind Pete if when he's booted.

Pete was a Soldier. That carries weight with me. Plus when he seemed stunned when asked his thoughts on Bernie's idea that folks serving time in Prison should be allowed to vote. 

As to Yang. I like him as well. His biggest "problem" is he actually answers the question asked. I feel his pain.

Yang just offered $1000 a month to 10 folks watching. Just go to his site and tell him how you will spend it to make your community better.

Beto with a mandatory gun confiscation plan getting loud cheering and applause.

I can't see how that would ever go well. Also I am sure they aren't going to be cheering when they see news of police busting down doors of people (including minorities) and shooting them as they refuse to turn them in.

"They don't want to take your guns away." is officially no longer a line allowed to be used.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
(09-12-2019, 10:19 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Beto with a mandatory gun confiscation plan getting loud cheering and applause.

I can't see how that would ever go well. Also I am sure they aren't going to be cheering when they see news of police busting down doors of people (including minorities) and shooting them as they refuse to turn them in.

"They don't want to take your guns away." is officially no longer a line allowed to be used.

In watched the debate for a minute until I realized the theme was "Trump's the Devil" (I get plenty of that in this forum). Hell Castro tried to talk about competing Dem plans and was told by the candidates. "Stop dividing our house". Castro tried to remind them that they are competing for the nomination, but they were not having it. He moved up a notch in my book; not that it matters.

I have a feeling we'll be reopening crying shelters in a couple years and I'm not sure I'm as amused by it as I once was.

(09-12-2019, 10:56 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Castro tried to remind them that they are competing for the nomination, but they were not having it. He moved up a notch in my book; not that it matters.

His attack on Biden was absolutely cringeworthy though.
(09-12-2019, 10:56 PM)bfine32 Wrote: In watched the debate for a minute until I realized the theme was "Trump's the Devil" (I get plenty of that in this forum). Hell Castro tried to talk about competing Dem plans and was told by the candidates. "Stop dividing our house". Castro tried to remind them that they are competing for the nomination, but they were not having it. He moved up a notch in my book; not that it matters.

I have a feeling we'll be reopening crying shelters in a couple years and I'm not sure I'm as amused by it as I once was.

Castro got called out for the personal attack.  That is what the dividing our house comment was about.  If Castro can't make his point without being personally insulting then he doesn't have a point to make.

The 2 candidates that have stood out consistently throughout all 3 debates were Pete Buttigieg and Elizabeth Warren.  He isn't getting the credit because he hasn't had that so-called one line viral moment

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Didn't love Pete's response to Yang's opening remarks / offer. Is it a bit of a gimmick? Yes. But he's just trying to get more people to go to the site and get a better understanding of what the freedom dividend attempts to achieve. He knows he isnt going to get enough time on stage to explain something so foreign to the rest of the candidates, this is his best opportunity and I applaud him for playing the game.

Also. I'm completely done with Biden. He doesn't have the mental acuity to perform at this level. His incessant rhetorical tick of numbering his points as the hamster-wheel talking-point-query goes on his mind is embarrassing. Becomes infuriating when he moves on from "Second" to "Number 2"
(09-12-2019, 10:19 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Beto with a mandatory gun confiscation plan getting loud cheering and applause.

This surprises me from Texas Democrats, but then also doesn't surprise me because of what has been happening. I stepped away from our local committee in part because of the bullshit surround guns. Because I have other issues that garner my attention that Republicans are on the wrong side of in my book I still support more progressive candidates, but I am getting very frustrated with the party's approach to firearms on a larger scale. In Virginia we still aren't going as extreme as Beto did or what you see in California, but the arguments being made for things that even I could agree with (I am what the Molon Labe types would call a "Fudd," after all) are intellectually dishonest.

In all seriousness, though, that moment from Beto will probably cause a ton of Democrats in rural and southern areas to vote against him.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(09-13-2019, 10:07 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: This surprises me from Texas Democrats, but then also doesn't surprise me because of what has been happening. I stepped away from our local committee in part because of the bullshit surround guns. Because I have other issues that garner my attention that Republicans are on the wrong side of in my book I still support more progressive candidates, but I am getting very frustrated with the party's approach to firearms on a larger scale. In Virginia we still aren't going as extreme as Beto did or what you see in California, but the arguments being made for things that even I could agree with (I am what the Molon Labe types would call a "Fudd," after all) are intellectually dishonest.

In all seriousness, though, that moment from Beto will probably cause a ton of Democrats in rural and southern areas to vote against him.

He might as well bow out now.  Even if you believe confiscation is on the table, you don't talk about it and you start with a buyback program first.  

I'm just concerned with a flood of 'confiscation eligible' firearms onto the black market should a law be written and what a concentration of firepower like that would do in the inner cities. 
I just don't see the government ACTUALLY, forcibly "taking your guns" any more than I see Mexico actually paying for a wall or of there being a GOP healthcare plan ever.

It's talk for votes.  In this case in the primary.  The idea will stop with Betto.
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(09-13-2019, 10:33 AM)GMDino Wrote: I just don't see the government ACTUALLY, forcibly "taking your guns" any more than I see Mexico actually paying for a wall or of there being a GOP healthcare plan ever.

It's talk for votes.  In this case in the primary.  The idea will stop with Betto.

I would tend to agree. However, anyone who talks about it shouldn't get votes. Like it or not, it is a civil liberty that there is an individual right to gun ownership. Democrats have been tending to treat this issue as Republicans treat abortion. Find any way possible to skirt around the constitutional limitations in place on the government. It's wrong for abortion, it's wrong for gun rights. In both instances, the side doing it thinks they are doing it to save lives but really they are pushing to restrict the liberty of the citizens of the country in a way contrary to the ideals of the nation.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(09-13-2019, 09:46 AM)pally Wrote: Castro got called out for the personal attack.  That is what the dividing our house comment was about.  If Castro can't make his point without being personally insulting then he doesn't have a point to make.

The 2 candidates that have stood out consistently throughout all 3 debates were Pete Buttigieg and Elizabeth Warren.  He isn't getting the credit because he hasn't had that so-called one line viral moment

The only thing that stands out about Warren is her refusal to answer direct questions. Biden challenged her to explain how she planned to pay for medicare for all...nothing.....The moderator asked her to explain how she was going to pay for medicare for all.........nothing.....The moderator asked her more specifically do you play on raising taxes on the middle class....nothing. Her rhetoric probably does well with the demographic that prefers ideas over answers, but there's going to come a time that the ones that are targeted to pay for her plan will want an honest answer.

At least Bernie (who I think has gone completely off the rails,but he did write the "Damn Bill") has said he's going to pay for it by raising taxes on the middle class. It probably comes as a surprise to no one that I prefer Biden's more conservative approach to healthcare for all.

I also liked the way every candidate was trying to get Obama's support. Michelle better watch her back, Harris is coming for her man.

They really need to quit wasting the other candidate's time and just eliminate the debate field to Joe-Liz-Bernie.No one else gets to say bumpkis.