Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2020 Republican female/minority candidates
Anyone know anything about this lady

Kelly Ayotte (R-New Hampshire)
Before being elected a senator, Ayotte served as a prosecuting attorney taking on multiple murder cases and even argued a case against Planned Parenthood of Northern New England. During Mitt Romney’s presidential campaign, Sen. Ayotte was mentioned as a potential candidate for vice president. In just six years in the senate, Ayotte has sponsored over 217 bills. She serves on multiple committees including Armed Services, Homeland Security, and Governmental Affairs. In 2013, Newsmax named Kelly Ayotte as the most influential woman in the Republican party.
It’s evident that the Republican party is evolving. Once the party of old, white men, the future of the conservative movement is represented by diverse and energetic people of all genders. It’s undeniable that times are changing in America but it’s important that we don’t forget the values that contributed to our prosperity. Watch out for these names in the years to come.
(11-20-2018, 06:09 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Anyone know anything about this lady

Kelly Ayotte (R-New Hampshire)
Before being elected a senator, Ayotte served as a prosecuting attorney taking on multiple murder cases and even argued a case against Planned Parenthood of Northern New England. During Mitt Romney’s presidential campaign, Sen. Ayotte was mentioned as a potential candidate for vice president. In just six years in the senate, Ayotte has sponsored over 217 bills. She serves on multiple committees including Armed Services, Homeland Security, and Governmental Affairs. In 2013, Newsmax named Kelly Ayotte as the most influential woman in the Republican party.
It’s evident that the Republican party is evolving. Once the party of old, white men, the future of the conservative movement is represented by diverse and energetic people of all genders. It’s undeniable that times are changing in America but it’s important that we don’t forget the values that contributed to our prosperity. Watch out for these names in the years to come.

She had some momentum before the party platform shifted. She's pretty middle of the road on issues (sided with labor on some things, extended benefits to gay spouses, against the minimum wage increase, etc.). Hopefully, she hangs around until it shifts back. 

I googled her, looks like she lost her re-election bid. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
As to the actual OP:

For my government/history folks. Has there ever been a sitting President want to run for re-election but his party nominated someone else?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(11-20-2018, 07:50 PM)bfine32 Wrote: As to the actual OP:

For my government/history folks. Has there ever been a sitting President want to run for re-election but his party nominated someone else?

That is a good question.

I know Truman was not very popular when he ran for re-election, but the party still nominated him.
(11-20-2018, 07:55 PM)fredtoast Wrote: That is a good question.

I know Truman was not very popular when he ran for re-election, but the party still nominated him.

I did a little of my own research. The election of 1912 is quite interesting:

Teddy Roosevelt challenged Incumbent William Taft for the GOP nomination. The GOP gave it to Taft and Teddy ran 3rd party. Teddy finished 2nd in the GE and Taft a distant 3rd. The winner (W. Wilson) only received 42% of the popular vote.  
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(11-20-2018, 07:50 PM)bfine32 Wrote: As to the actual OP:

I think Reagan came pretty close in ‘76.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall