Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2020 Salary Cap After Dalton cut
(05-04-2020, 02:07 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: 1. Hell no
2. No

We don't need another CB and keep that prima donna away from this team; he still plays the run like a beast, but he is overrated to death.

As you mentioned, the funds should go towards extensions and front-loading some guaranteed money, since there is no cap rollover.

LOL.  I think he was referring to Jason Peters, the OT.  If it's Marcus, I'm right there with you..
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2020, 01:36 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I don' really see any free agents I would want to take a chance on, and the only extension I want is Mixon.

Mixon will be the easiest to work out a deal because he is only due to make $1.2 million this year.  We would not have to pay him like elite RBs.  I'm guessing he would gladly sign a 4 year $32 million deal.  That would be the 7th highest average salary for a RB which I think is about his value right now.  But best of all for Mixon he could get like $10 million in his pocket today as a signing bonus.    

I know RBs wear out quickly, but we could give him a 4 year extension and he would still just turn 27 a month before the final season of the deal.

I have a feeling Mixon could have a huge year and be a lot more expensive to re-sign next offseason.  And I don't by the myth that talent at RB does not help a team win.

I think William Jackson will have a bounce back year, but he is too big of a mystery to give a long term extension.

I love AJ, but it would be crazy to give him a long term deal without seeing if he can still play.  Even health WRs decline at his age.  We have no idea what he will look like on the field.  

I still have high hopes for Lawson.  I think he might benefit a lot to the switch to 3-4.  Even when he did not get a lot of sacks he was still getting "hurries".  But, again, I am not willing to give him a big long term extension without seeing another season.

I love Mixon, but my fear is the same one I have with any running back. They are high on the injury and end/alter career list. My fear is eating a whole bunch of dead money. So, I like the idea of extending Mixon, but for limited guaranteed money. 

As for AJ, yes he is a risk too due to age and recent issues. But again, I would love to see a 3 year team friendly deal with only 22 to 24 million guaranteed over the 3 years. That would lower our cap in 2020 as well. and give us more money.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
That's insane that Hart makes 4 times more than Mixon.

Reply/Quote
(05-04-2020, 02:07 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: 1. Hell no
2. No

We don't need another CB and keep that prima donna away from this team; he still plays the run like a beast, but he is overrated to death.

As you mentioned, the funds should go towards extensions and front-loading some guaranteed money, since there is no cap rollover.

My bad for the confusion, I just assumed all knew we need an OT so it is Jason Peters.

I edited my post.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2020, 02:10 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: We should probably roll it over to next year. 

I think the new CBA has some pules limiting roll over but I am too damn lazy to look it up.

Anyone else hear about this?
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2020, 02:23 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: My bad for the confusion, I just assumed all knew we need an OT so it is Jason Peters.

No problem.

$17 million will buy a lot of peters.

Wink
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2020, 02:23 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I think the new CBA has some pules limiting roll over but I am too damn lazy to look it up.

Anyone else hear about this?

I cannot seem to find anything about that in the new CBA.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2020, 02:15 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Yeah, he could possibly get that much next year IF both he and his O-line stays healthy. And he has only played a full 16 games ONCE so far.

He is only due to make $1.2 million this year.  I am sure he would rather have a $40 million contract than a $30 million contract, but is the gamble worth it when he could end up with only $1.2 million?  No way I would pass up $10 million guaranteed to take that risk.

He'll get paid by someone. It happens every year a team over pays for RBs. And Mixon knows this is most likely his last big pay day so he'll want that extra 10 million in guaranteed money.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2020, 02:22 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: That's insane that Hart makes 4 times more than Mixon.

And yet some people still want to shit talk Mixon for not “honoring his contract” or whatever. In no world should Hart be making that much more than Mixon.

Reply/Quote
(05-04-2020, 04:15 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: And yet some people still want to shit talk Mixon for not “honoring his contract” or whatever. In no world should Hart be making that much more than Mixon.

Not right, but that's the deal that the players agreed to.
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2020, 11:02 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Spotrac shows is with almost 26 million dollars after we pay all the rookies.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cincinnati-bengals/cap/

CINCINNATI BENGALS CAP TOTALS

Why not add a guy like Clowney? We have more money han both Seattle and Tenn. who supposed to be the front runners

How should we spend the Dalton savings in 2020
I think they've spent plenty on the defense. Is it fixed-no. It is vastly improved on paper and should be on the field.

I think whatever is left should be spent shoring up the Offensive line, so its not so offensive this year..

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
The only thing I hate worse than Pittsburgh football...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

SLIM--gone, but never forgotten...

Original Bengals message boards
Rep Points: 4726

Reply/Quote
(05-04-2020, 12:29 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: TY

But can we all agree we now have extra money we can spend right now.

How would you spend it? If you think it is 15 million, how would you spend it? If you think it is more, same question.

It is obvious different sites use different methods for the cap, otherwise they would all have the same exact numbers.

I use Spotrac. I have found using this has been accurate as team like the Ravens who it says have no money always seem to find money and sign guys with no cap money????

My question is realistically how much more are the Bengals willing to spend? If any? They are some significant number under the cap but have spent a bunch of money on signing bonuses and I assume those are paid within a small amount of time of signing. The actual expenditures for this season as I understand it is currently 63 million in signing bonuses + 125 million in salaries + 22 million in other bonuses for around 210 million if I am looking at it correctly and then practice squad etc etc. Feel free to correct me on this if I am looking at it wrong.

The reason I bring this up is with AJ and Jackson since their salaries are already high and for this season an extension doesn't effect this years budget but a Mixon extension almost assuredly would have a significant signing bonus (my guess is somewhere around 8M) which would have to be part of this seasons budget as I understand it.

I wouldn't extend AJ for a myriad of reasons. Health, age, etc etc. Also, the 2019 draft was WR loaded and dulled the free agent WR market quite a bit in my opinion for that position. Early big boards have another loaded wide receiver class as 15 of the top 95 on it are wideouts including a bunch more outside the top 100 which could further allow for some value in the free agent market.

For Mixon, I am thinking 8M signing bonus and 3 years/18M to make his cap number 8M for the next 3 seasons. He basically gets 3/26 in this scenario. They can cut Gio also and save a lot of space. I honestly don't think Mixon would go for that but given his lack of leverage he might.

Jackson III is the toughest one for me. Cincinnati didn't draft a cornerback. His production dropped way off last season but 2 of the 3 seasons he turned in was good. Maybe he isn't a fit for the new staff I don't know. I have no idea what an extension would encompass. Spotrac has 3/18M as his comp but no way is he doing that in my opinion. That Waynes' contract makes it a tougher negotiation also. With the overall defense trending to be better on the other levels, it should help the cornerbacks also so maybe he has a bounce back season.

I wouldn't mind extending Tupua to a cheaper deal as a solid rotational piece. He actually graded as the 26th best interior player last season in 465 snaps and has improved a lot. His value is muted by being a solid run stuffer only for the most part so he wouldn't cost a ton but there is value in that. Maybe add a couple of seasons around 3 to 3.5M to help solidify the defensive line moving forward.

Lawson may want more than he is worth given his ability vs health and actual production. I would wait and see on him honestly.

As far as outside free agents, there isn't a ton there that moves the needle. Wouldn't mind bringing a few veterans on minimum contract non guaranteed to add some competition in a few spots. As examples Matt Moore, Ty Montgomery
Reply/Quote