Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
2020 Success is Now Up to the Coaches
Okay, Bengaldom!  This has been a most successful offseason, don't you think?  Cincinnati, after decades of treating free agency like a virus they were trying to avoid, finally got in the game and crushed it.  Adding DJ Reader, Josh Bynes, Trae Waynes, Shaun Sims, Mackensie Alexander, and Von Bell on defense and adding Xavier Su'a-Filo and Isaiah Prince on offense were all great moves -- and then what happened with this year's draft class was simply amazing in combination.

The Bengals should be a vastly improved team in 2020 if -- and only if -- the coaches and coordinators can come up with offensive and defensive playbooks which leverage this team's recently increased talent level.

I'm not worried about the defense at all, to tell the truth.  Lou Anarumo has morphed the defense from a 4-3 base to a 3-4-ish hybrid with lots of edge rushers.  Facing Lamar Jackson twice a year has forced his hand somewhat; I understand this.  Lou also no doubt saw the Bengals' inability to cover opposing tight ends and the linebackers selected in the draft should help with coverage in space.  The secondary will look completely different as well which will be a relief for us all.  Lou finally has the players on board to make his ideal defensive playbook come to life.

Zac Taylor and Brian Callahan are the wild cards, however.  Dusting off last year's offensive playbook combined with atrocious play calling will be a recipe for disaster.  Drawing as much as possible from LSU's offensive scheme will be the best route toward assuring Joe Burrow will be a success in the NFL; it's much more promising to develop the Cincinnati offense around what Burrow can do vice fitting him into an existing system.  That was the difference between Joe's 2018 season and his 2019 season at LSU.

Also, it's time to ditch the "throw it 55 times a game" philosophy.  Jim Turner has a few months to turn this revamped offensive line into run blocking beasts.  A good offense in the NFL is balanced these days and during late season playoff runs in the AFC North a clock-chewing run game can make all the difference in the world.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2020, 12:36 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Okay, Bengaldom!  This has been a most successful offseason, don't you think?  Cincinnati, after decades of treating free agency like a virus they were trying to avoid, finally got in the game and crushed it.  Adding DJ Reader, Josh Bynes, Trae Waynes, Shaun Sims, Mackensie Alexander, and Von Bell on defense and adding Xavier Su'a-Filo and Isaiah Prince on offense were all great moves -- and then what happened with this year's draft class was simply amazing in combination.

The Bengals should be a vastly improved team in 2020 if -- and only if -- the coaches and coordinators can come up with offensive and defensive playbooks which leverage this team's recently increased talent level.

I'm not worried about the defense at all, to tell the truth.  Lou Anarumo has morphed the defense from a 4-3 base to a 3-4-ish hybrid with lots of edge rushers.  Facing Lamar Jackson twice a year has forced his hand somewhat; I understand this.  Lou also no doubt saw the Bengals' inability to cover opposing tight ends and the linebackers selected in the draft should help with coverage in space.  The secondary will look completely different as well which will be a relief for us all.  Lou finally has the players on board to make his ideal defensive playbook come to life.

Zac Taylor and Brian Callahan are the wild cards, however.  Dusting off last year's offensive playbook combined with atrocious play calling will be a recipe for disaster.  Drawing as much as possible from LSU's offensive scheme will be the best route toward assuring Joe Burrow will be a success in the NFL; it's much more promising to develop the Cincinnati offense around what Burrow can do vice fitting him into an existing system.  That was the difference between Joe's 2018 season and his 2019 season at LSU.

Also, it's time to ditch the "throw it 55 times a game" philosophy.  Jim Turner has a few months to turn this revamped offensive line into run blocking beasts.  A good offense in the NFL is balanced these days and during late season playoff runs in the AFC North a clock-chewing run game can make all the difference in the world.

I think you might be little disappointed on that one.  
Reply/Quote
The two coaching areas I’m most concerned with are Jim Turner coaching up less talented guys and ZT’s play calling.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2020, 12:36 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Okay, Bengaldom!  This has been a most successful offseason, don't you think?  Cincinnati, after decades of treating free agency like a virus they were trying to avoid, finally got in the game and crushed it.  Adding DJ Reader, Josh Bynes, Trae Waynes, Shaun Sims, Mackensie Alexander, and Von Bell on defense and adding Xavier Su'a-Filo and Isaiah Prince on offense were all great moves -- and then what happened with this year's draft class was simply amazing in combination.

I don't think you draft one of the most prolific passing QB's to ever come out of college and draft a Dynamic WR to an already loaded roster to pass less.  Why in the world would you want to pass less with Burrow than Dalton?  

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2020, 01:11 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: The two coaching areas I’m most concerned with are Jim Turner coaching up less talented guys and ZT’s play calling.

I think all things considered he did a good job last year.  Jordan improved considering he's a 4th round pick starting at LG in his rookie season.  Jonah Williams was out the whole year.  Fred Johnson played really well considering he stepped in late and showed lots of promise.  Remember they didn't go into the offseason last year thinking their starting LG was retiring and while we can all harp on how bad Hart is.  He was actually better last year which means he was at least coached better.  I actually Believe Adeniji may be the starting Right Guard this year,  Every season in college he improved and he had a new coach every season, so getting him in with a pro coaching staff should be positive. 

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2020, 01:15 PM)Okeana Wrote: I don't think you draft one of the most prolific passing QB's to ever come out of college and draft a Dynamic WR to an already loaded roster to pass less.  Why in the world would you want to pass less with Burrow than Dalton?  

"There are three things which can happen when you pass the ball; two of them bad."  -  Woody Hayes

Let's be specific about exactly what makes Joe Burrow prolific.  It wasn't how many passes he threw; it was how many he completed.  I'm looking at the LSU 2019 game statistics and Burrow only threw more than 40 passes three times all season and in two cases he only threw 24.  However, he went 21/24 both times.
Reply/Quote
Agreed on the general point that the coaching is the thing that will make or break us now. We have all the pieces.

I think one reason we were passing so much is we were always behind. My hope is that the defense has improved while the offense will be putting up more points on average. That should lead to a more balanced approach.

Reply/Quote
I'll be the one to come out with the opinion that; Our rapidly assembled coaching staff that was at a time disadvantage compared to most other coaching staffs, didn't take too kindly to massive defeat last season. They were not only late in being assembled, but for a variety of reasons, were essentially forced to go to war "with the army they had". Zac Taylor, having had a season and now a full compliment of roster building opportunity, has developed his plan to take the Bengals to the top of the league.

Coaches are competitive individuals, as much so as the athletes themselves. I feel comfortable in assuming that Taylor and the staff were all likely quite embarrassed by last year's product, and have all vowed to never wind up in that situation again.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2020, 03:02 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I'll be the one to come out with the opinion that;  Our rapidly assembled coaching staff that was at a time disadvantage compared to most other coaching staffs, didn't take too kindly to massive defeat last season.  They were not only late in being assembled, but for a variety of reasons, were essentially forced to go to war "with the army they had".  Zac Taylor, having had a season and now a full compliment of roster building opportunity, has developed his plan to take the Bengals to the top of the league.

Coaches are competitive individuals, as much so as the athletes themselves.  I feel comfortable in assuming that Taylor and the staff were all likely quite embarrassed by last year's product, and have all vowed to never wind up in that situation again.

Very well said, as always.

IMO, they got a few things done last year, even as dismal as the results were.

They knew what they were trying to do wasn't working.  Over the bye, they revamped the running game and stayed devoted to making it work, even at times continuing to run when they were way behind.  They operated with a long view approach in that regard.  I have confidence that that will carry over.

They also found out who would still be all in even as bad as things were.  They never lost their locker room and the team played hard through it all.

And they found out what they didn't have in Finley by playing him when their season was already down the crapper.

So, the season turned out badly but it was not entirely fruitless.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(04-27-2020, 03:02 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I'll be the one to come out with the opinion that;  Our rapidly assembled coaching staff that was at a time disadvantage compared to most other coaching staffs, didn't take too kindly to massive defeat last season.  They were not only late in being assembled, but for a variety of reasons, were essentially forced to go to war "with the army they had".  Zac Taylor, having had a season and now a full compliment of roster building opportunity, has developed his plan to take the Bengals to the top of the league.

Coaches are competitive individuals, as much so as the athletes themselves.  I feel comfortable in assuming that Taylor and the staff were all likely quite embarrassed by last year's product, and have all vowed to never wind up in that situation again.

I'm most impressed by the job they did working with what they had. More to the point, I think they did a great job in evaluating what they had over the course of the season. 

Obviously, they were not impressed with the quality of defensive talent. They weren't afraid to let some of them go, and they went out and got 4 new starters in free agency, then drafted 3 LBs and a DE. They signed another Edge and another LB as UDFAs. We could have as many as 6 new starters in 2020. 

Bynes
Bell
Alexander
Waynes 
Morgan
Davis-Gaither

Not sure what's going to happen with Bailey. I hope they can not re-sign Bynes next year. Pratt, Bailey, Morgan, and Davis-Gaither would be a formidable young group. 

I don't what I'm more excited about. Burrow or this young D? 
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2020, 03:26 PM)BURROWorBUST Wrote: I'm most impressed by the job they did working with what they had. More to the point, I think they did a great job in evaluating what they had over the course of the season. 

Obviously, they were not impressed with the quality of defensive talent. They weren't afraid to let some of them go, and they went out and got 4 new starters in free agency, then drafted 3 LBs and a DE. They signed another Edge and another LB as UDFAs. We could have as many as 6 new starters in 2020. 

Bynes
Bell
Alexander
Waynes 
Morgan
Davis-Gaither

Not sure what's going to happen with Bailey. I hope they can not re-sign Bynes next year. Pratt, Bailey, Morgan, and Davis-Gaither would be a formidable young group. 

I think that you may have meant as many as 7 new starters.  (DJ Reader)  ThumbsUp

But yes, they definitely had a concrete plan at the onset of this mission.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote

Well lets be frank.. Coaches always have the spot light but we also know many many players across the NFL do not pan out where coaches, draft experts expect them.. Zero of our rookies have played a down.. if Burrow does not do well I would not just blame coaches... It is easy to be an armchair QB but we have no idea of how certain plays called should have turned out etc.

This is not a one way street.. success will come from Coaches improving and molding the team and players playing to the level we either drafted them or expect the veterans to perform...
Reply/Quote

Nice thread and post FIK. Completely agree, this Offseason combined with the way the players didn't quit on Zac last year after
such a terrible stretch gives me hope. Also love hearing how our players are reaching out to our newly Drafted players. With all 
the guys we picked being stand up individuals and Captains for their respected teams I think this is the best way to build a 
Championship caliber roster.

We need to adapt this Offense to what Burrow ran at LSU and I think it will go very smooth. This is my one question is I just 
don't want to see Taylor or whoever is calling the plays (Callahan) holding him back. This is Burrow's team now, let him run it
and study the playbook and the film and prepare like he did at LSU.

No more of those plays where the QB is in the Shotgun in 4th and 1 and having the QB run it please. Even though Burrow might
be able to pull it off, the play calling was atrocious last year in many games. I still remember Zac saying he gave Dalton a 
selection of plays to pick from and Dalton had the call as to what play it was in the end. Hope this is the case and it wasn't all on
Taylor just having terrible plays to pick from.
Reply/Quote
I'm very anxious to see what ZT and co. put on the field this season. I'd be lying if I said I'm not at all worried but I'm willing to see what they come back with year two with more of their guys.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2020, 03:26 PM)BURROWorBUST Wrote: I'm most impressed by the job they did working with what they had. More to the point, I think they did a great job in evaluating what they had over the course of the season. 

READER
Bynes
Bell
Alexander
Waynes 
Morgan   LOGAN WILSON
Davis-Gaither

Morgan?? I think you meant to say Wilson.

And, I'll also reiterate Reader as probably the most important starter? Lol Rock On
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2020, 05:25 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I'm very anxious to see what ZT and co. put on the field this season. I'd be lying if I said I'm not at all worried but I'm willing to see what they come back with year two with more of their guys.

Having had a belly full of some of the players they let go, and now upon looking at what types of players they brought in to fill those spots, my optimism is growing by the minute.

Offensively, I think that you're going to see a team that always looks to establish the run, coupled with a well engineered passing attack.  It doesn't have to elaborate or exotic, just well executed.  Our skill position players have the talent to min their individual matchups.

Defensively, after seeing the players brought in?  I'm so excited!  I believe that we're going to see some stone cold run stuffing, aggressive pass rushing, and ball hawking defenders in pass coverage.  (I know, it'll take a while to get used to.)  But, by a mid-season we should see a unit that has gotten familiar with and built trust in one another, developing into a formidable squad.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2020, 05:37 PM)JerseyDD09 Wrote: Morgan?? I think you meant to say Wilson.

And, I'll also reiterate Reader as probably the most important starter? Lol Rock On

Thanks for the edit. WTF was I thinking? 
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2020, 01:11 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: The two coaching areas I’m most concerned with are Jim Turner coaching up less talented guys and ZT’s play calling.

Yeah the two coaching concerns I have are on offense and defense. Special teams should be solid overall tho.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
Isaiah Prince wasn't an offseason add. He was a waiver claim last December after Miami cut him. Played in 4 games and started 2 for Miami as a rookie 6th round pick last year and got cut in December. He was on our team for like 5 games I think but was never on the game day roster.? Either way I know he was a part of our team last year.
Reply/Quote
While I like the thread, I still believe more moves will be made.

1) AJ/Mixon extensions.
2) Andy decision. If he is waived or signs a smaller contract, I cannot believe we don't use some of that cap room to help the team.
3) We are #1 in line for cuts/waivers. Good players always get let go for one reason or another (see Dalton, Andy). We should think about adding a couple.
Reply/Quote