Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2020 WR draft class set to be elite
I saw someone mention on Twitter the other day that if your team needs a WR or RB, the 2020 draft is "for you."
I just found an article from TheDraftNetwork written this past December that backs up the claim on WRs.
Quote:this year's class might not even be able to hold a candle to what we have coming in 2020.
https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/the-2020-wr-class-could-truly-be-historic

The Bengals have both Boyd and Green hitting FA after this year (if not extended) and John Ross entering his 3rd year. The Bengals might be smart to look to this upcoming draft class for a replacement rather than investing in all three of these guys.

Your thoughts on next year's WR class?
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2019, 12:38 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I saw someone mention on Twitter the other day that if your team needs a WR or RB, the 2020 draft is "for you."
I just found an article from TheDraftNetwork written this past December that backs up the claim on WRs.
https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/the-2020-wr-class-could-truly-be-historic

The Bengals have both Boyd and Green hitting FA after this year (if not extended) and John Ross entering his 3rd year. The Bengals might be smart to look to this upcoming draft class for a replacement rather than investing in all three of these guys.

Your thoughts on next year's WR class?

This may explain why the team waited in 2019 and WR was not a priority. I see no way Green is not franchised if they do not come up with a contract. I also would be shocked if they let Boyd walk, but 1 of the 2 will be back one way or another.

The OT group is also loaded. Looks like 2020 is an offensive first draft.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
They didn't even mention Tamorrion Terry from FSU. With a capable offense around him he will explode and come out early.
Reply/Quote
ceedee lamb is the truth

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
I think we extend Green but I wouldn't be against the idea of getting some of that elite talent that falls to the 2nd round. Or just do whatever your boards tell you I suppose. We could use more depth at the position but likely will have needs elsewhere as well depending on what happens this year (ILB. CB. DT. RT, ...QB?).

Reply/Quote
(05-05-2019, 10:44 PM)bonesaw Wrote: They didn't even mention Tamorrion Terry from FSU. With a capable offense around him he will explode and come out early.

I hope he doesn’t leave after this year. I think we need him for one more to finish the Taggart turn around.
Reply/Quote
I'd love to get one of the 6'4 guys that can go deep because I just think about teams having to keep one safety on him and one over AJ because then Mixon would just eat them alive.

I know a rookie won't be as good as him, but I'm thinking of the rookie being our Randy Moss and AJ being our Chris Carter, except AJ's a lot better and they never had a back as good as Mixon is.

I understand that Andy doesn't have Culpepper's arm (deep ball), but I still think he could be very dangerous with a combo like that.
Reply/Quote
(06-19-2019, 12:33 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: I'd love to get one of the 6'4 guys that can go deep because I just think about teams having to keep one safety on him and one over AJ because then Mixon would just eat them alive.  

I know a rookie won't be as good as him, but I'm thinking of the rookie being our Randy Moss and AJ being our Chris Carter, except AJ's a lot better and they never had a back as good as Mixon is.

I understand that Andy doesn't have Culpepper's arm (deep ball), but I still think he could be very dangerous with a combo like that.

I could see a WR taken in Rd 1 next year if Ross doesn't blossom this year and/or Boyd or Green not extended.
I think it's less likely that they would take one if Boyd and Green stay and Ross becomes what he was drafted for.
With that said, adding an elite pass catcher in the 1st round to go along with Green, Boyd, and Ross could really be something special for the 2020 season.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
The Bengals already have their search team scouring the college ranks for the best player who will be injured on opening day 2020.. and of course the rest of the season as well.. and just because it's supposed to be expected to be a boom year for offense the Bengals will win the division so they draft lower than normal and the rest of the division picks before us.. .. Me pessimistic? NEVER! 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(06-21-2019, 10:30 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I could see a WR taken in Rd 1 next year if Ross doesn't blossom this year and/or Boyd or Green not extended.
I think it's less likely that they would take one if Boyd and Green stay and Ross becomes what he was drafted for.
With that said, adding an elite pass catcher in the 1st round to go along with Green, Boyd, and Ross could really be something special for the 2020 season.

With a terrible O line and pathetic LB corps picking WR in 1 is questionable. Tons of talent in 2020 draft though.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
(07-13-2019, 05:55 PM)t3r3e3 Wrote: With a terrible O line and pathetic LB corps picking WR in 1 is questionable.  Tons of talent in 2020 draft though.

I agree, with such a plethora of talent at WR there should be good players to be found at the position all throughout the draft.  They went OT, TE, and LB at the top of this latest draft.  My intuition tells me that they will probably want to go DL or CB early in next year's draft, as teams will be grabbing them early, with such a deep pool at WR and RB.

On a side note, that is a fantastic picture in your avatar.  Where was that taken?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(06-19-2019, 12:33 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: I'd love to get one of the 6'4 guys that can go deep because I just think about teams having to keep one safety on him and one over AJ because then Mixon would just eat them alive.

I like AJ Green as much as the next guy, but Chris Carter's in the Hall of Fame. You're also short changing Robert Smith. He rushed for 1,500 yards in his final season... That's only around 200 fewer than Mixon has for his career.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Hate to say this, but do not be surprise if the Bengals select QB in round 1 next year. They need another OT and backer and yes, WR. But if the WR position group is elite, it means someone good will be there in rounds 2-5.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(07-18-2019, 08:52 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Hate to say this, but do not be surprise if the Bengals select QB in round 1 next year.  They need another OT and backer and yes, WR.  But if the WR position group is elite, it means someone good will be there in rounds 2-5.

There wouldn't (or shouldn't) be a surprise if QB is selected in Rd 1. There's a decent group of QBs expected to declare for the 2020 draft, but all have some sort of concern.

Justin Herbert - Ideal measurables who will have 4 years of production but needs to display a better sense of pressure and avoid it.

Tua Tagovailoa - Was in contention for the Heisman and is extremely accurate, but he plays for Alabama (who hasn't produced good NFL QBs) and is shorter than preferred.

Jake Fromm - Has good pocket presence, overall passing ability, and slightly taller than Tua, but he still isn't the preferred 6'3"+ and isn't great at driving the ball downfield. He'd fit into more of a short-to-intermediate passing attack that has a good run game.

KJ Costello - Has the height teams would prefer, a big arm, played in a pro style offense, and will have played 2+ seasons. He probably needs a little more bulk, as he's 6'5" but only 215 lbs. He also isn't the most mobile guy. People view him as more of the prototypical pocket passer.

Jacob Eason - There's a lot of hype around this guy because he has good size and was the starting QB for Georgia before he got hurt and the team chose to then stick with Fromm once Eason was healthy again. Eason hasn't really played since 2016 and he only had a 55% completion percentage, but people seem to love his skill set. His biggest question mark is what will he do now that he's at Washington and fully healthy?

I'll be interested to see what type of QB Zac Taylor would go for. We'll be able to better determine that once we see his offensive scheme this season. If it's Mike Brown picking a QB, I'd bet the selection would be one of the taller QBs.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(07-19-2019, 09:52 AM)ochocincos Wrote: There wouldn't (or shouldn't) be a surprise if QB is selected in Rd 1. There's a decent group of QBs expected to declare for the 2020 draft, but all have some sort of concern.

Justin Herbert - Ideal measurables who will have 4 years of production but needs to display a better sense of pressure and avoid it.

Tua Tagovailoa - Was in contention for the Heisman and is extremely accurate, but he plays for Alabama (who hasn't produced good NFL QBs) and is shorter than preferred.

Jake Fromm - Has good pocket presence, overall passing ability, and slightly taller than Tua, but he still isn't the preferred 6'3"+ and isn't great at driving the ball downfield. He'd fit into more of a short-to-intermediate passing attack that has a good run game.

KJ Costello - Has the height teams would prefer, a big arm, played in a pro style offense, and will have played 2+ seasons. He probably needs a little more bulk, as he's 6'5" but only 215 lbs. He also isn't the most mobile guy. People view him as more of the prototypical pocket passer.

Jacob Eason - There's a lot of hype around this guy because he has good size and was the starting QB for Georgia before he got hurt and the team chose to then stick with Fromm once Eason was healthy again. Eason hasn't really played since 2016 and he only had a 55% completion percentage, but people seem to love his skill set. His biggest question mark is what will he do now that he's at Washington and fully healthy?

I'll be interested to see what type of QB Zac Taylor would go for. We'll be able to better determine that once we see his offensive scheme this season. If it's Mike Brown picking a QB, I'd bet the selection would be one of the taller QBs.
Given the State of the O-Line, the QB should be mobile.  Can you start a new thread for QB and update over this next year?  Thanks
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
Well, maybe it is time to grab an elite WR next draft... Ninja
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
(07-18-2019, 08:52 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Hate to say this, but do not be surprise if the Bengals select QB in round 1 next year.  They need another OT and backer and yes, WR.  But if the WR position group is elite, it means someone good will be there in rounds 2-5.

(07-19-2019, 06:57 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Given the State of the O-Line, the QB should be mobile.  Can you start a new thread for QB and update over this next year?  Thanks

Honestly Ill be upset if they don't take a QB next year in 1 if we pick early and have an elite prospect on the board.

We have 2 solid prospects on the Oline with Williams and Price, Hopefully atleast one more guy works out whether thats Glenn, Westerman, or someone else. I think during the offseason we will be comfortable keeping atleast 3 guys on the Oline. That leaves 2 spots open which can be filled in rounds 2-4.

If we pick early enough to get the QB prospect we want I hope the draft will go something like :

1. QB
2-4 RT/OG/LB/WR - Picking where ever the best value is.

It would also help if we had guys like Ross or Pratt show they belong, as well as getting atleast 1 quality FA at RT/OG/LB/WR but that probably wont happen.

Point is if we see a guy we think can be a franchise QB then we better take him and not keep waiting in favor of taking an OT or LB. QBs is the most important spot on the field and if we have to we can sit him a year behind Andy to have another year to fix the Oline but we cannot keep passing on guys at QB.
Reply/Quote