Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
2020 Weekly QB index Burrow 22
(10-17-2020, 08:03 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: If the debate was Burrow versus Herbert, the answer is Burrow.

But that is not the debate. The debate is Burrow vs Herbert and 2 other first round guys. What if it is Herbert a RT and a WR...  

My arguement was never Burrow wasn't the best of the QBs my arguement was and is... he will not have enough support to succeed here in the short term. The team needs a lot of players. I saw a chance to get multiple holes filled and a comparable talent.

If they spend on the OL like they just did on defense we’ll be fine. Can’t keep waiting on draft picks anyway.

Right now we have a 1st round LT (good but there will be growing pains), a 4th round LG (shouldn’t be starting), an undrafted Center (serviceable), a 2nd round FA at RG (injured - backups are all terrible), and a 7th round RT (inconsistent to say the least needs upgraded).

Even a few high draft picks would take time to fix that mess. If we don’t bring in some starting quality FA’s (like Conklin not XSF) it’s going to be ugly for the near future anyway.

The draft is not the only way to fill holes. As we’re seeing with our now top 10 defense. If you truly want extra picks start trading guys like Geno, Dunlap, Ross, etc.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(10-17-2020, 04:16 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: You’re assuming Herbert would look like a franchise QB in Cincinnati. I’m not so sure considering he’d have ZT calling his plays, and an OL that is historically bad. And no LA’s is not as bad. Even their backups would be an upgrade at most spots on ours.

Taking Burrow was absolutely 100% the right thing to do. Herbert has some warts to his game (decision making being the big one), and they’d only be magnified here. Burrow has at least shown he can give us a chance in most games. I’m not sure every rookie QB would be able to do that given the circumstances (bad coaching, terrible OL, 2 of the top 3 WR’s being benched a 5 games into the season, etc).

I agree the semi worry on Herbert in College was at times Ints but he also had a lot of upside and it why he was picked early also.. the same semi worry with Burrow has been was his great jump in 1 year how much was of that jump was contributed to the players around him.. still too early to tell how it will all play out.. both overall have played well as rookies though I would say Herbert has exceeded early expectations  so far.
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2020, 08:30 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: If they spend on the OL like they just did on defense we’ll be fine. Can’t keep waiting on draft picks anyway.

Right now we have a 1st round LT (good but there will be growing pains), a 4th round LG (shouldn’t be starting), an undrafted Center (serviceable), a 2nd round FA at RG (injured - backups are all terrible), and a 7th round RT (inconsistent to say the least needs upgraded).

Even a few high draft picks would take time to fix that mess. If we don’t bring in some starting quality FA’s (like Conklin not XSF) it’s going to be ugly for the near future anyway.

The draft is not the only way to fill holes. As we’re seeing with our now top 10 defense. If you truly want extra picks start trading guys like Geno, Dunlap, Ross, etc.

Right

The window that we'll have Burrow on his rookie deal will come and go in an instant ! The time is now to start being proactive and kicking ass and taking names. 

We need like 3 starting Olinemen. Another top WR, AJ and Ross are history. We need a couple Dlinemen. A CB wouldn't hurt nor would another LBer. 

They need to pile up draft picks and pull the trigger on a couple top notch free agents this coming off season. Lets hope MB has learnt his lesson on nickel and diming.
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2020, 08:39 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Right

The window that we'll have Burrow on his rookie deal will come and go in an instant ! The time is now to start being proactive and kicking ass and taking names. 

We need like 3 starting Olinemen. Another top WR, AJ and Ross are history. We need a couple Dlinemen. A CB wouldn't hurt nor would another LBer. 

They need to pile up draft picks and pull the trigger on a couple top notch free agents this coming off season. Lets hope MB has learnt his lesson on nickel and diming.

Yep, just watched the Ravens game. As I said, my server got turned off last week so I couldn't even watch the game until now.

The O-line will NOT win in this Division especially. They at least helped the D last FA and it has shown here and there but we need to
protect our future. We need at least 3 O-lineman to protect Burrow. Jordan, Redmond and Hart were just outclassed against the Ravens.

Burrow had no chance. 

Our Defense played pretty damn good though after watching the game. Good FA and great Draft we had IMO.

Burrow, Higgins, Wilson, ADG look like were just great picks. Wilson could of had 2 INTS in that game and ADG could of had another.

Covington looks to be a good pickup as does McKensie and Bledsoe. Lou just might be a decent coach, but it sure looks like the
Offense needs overhauled, starting with Taylor and Turner.
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2020, 06:02 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: This list is pretty subjective.  Their ranking certainly isn't gospel.  Nor does it factor in what we all know is hurting him; a terrible OL, a poor running game, questionable play calling, and a lack of weapons (No WR1, sub-par TE)

To each their own, but the last thing I'm concerned with is a weekly QB rankings list during a QB's rookie year.

What I am concerned with is a few things: How does a QB handle pressure.  How is his accuracy and touch.  How is his decision making.

I think Burrow has performed pretty well in all of the above.  He's made a handful of mistakes, but all things considered, he's done incredibly well for a rookie.

Whether he's ranked 22nd, or 17th, 12th, I really don't care.  Rankings mean little to nothing right now in his career.

Yup

5 games into their rookie seasons these rankings mean way less than nothing ! It's only guys with a axe to grind that are going on about this stuff already, it's comical.
Reply/Quote
Yes we get it. You have a major hard on for herbert.

What I don't understand is why you're so dead set on seeing burrow fail and why you are allowed to post in jungle noise given you're clearly not a fan of the team.
Reply/Quote
I don't remember anyone jumping up and down and saying pick Herbert, Tua or any other QB over Burrow. I thought we all agreed, Joe was the right pick based on his massive 2019 college year at LSU.

In my case, I still love Joe Burrow, but I will be critical because I don't care if our starting QB is a rookie or a 5 year vet, our QB will always get more scrutiny than any other position player. To say Joe has shown the accuracy (especially over 20 yards) when given time to throw he did in college is not true. To ignore how bad our OL protected him against the Ravens after being adequate the week prior can't be overlooked either. No QB is going to have a good day when the OL is letting defenders get free shots on their QB almost every play. So, no doubt the game killed his QB rating overall.

I wish our front office would have made a better decision in the off season in 2020. They decided to franchise Green and pay him like 18 million dollars. They could have found 2 o3 vet OL for 18 million dollars and probably a vet receiver especially if you factor in money saved by cutting OL who have not performed well. Guys like Price could have been traded and we would get nothing of draft value, but we would gain cap dollars for example to spend elsewhere.

It baffles the mind to watch our OL the past 3 years and for our FO to see how bad they are in pas protection. Joe Burrow deserves a great OL, he is working under maybe the worst OL in the NFL, just as AD did before him.

Yet, Joe takes his vicious hits, gets up and looks more determined. That is the part of Joe Burrow I love the most over any 2020 NFL draft eligible QB's. He is a winner, his team mates know it and he knows it.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2020, 08:39 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I agree the semi worry on Herbert in College was at times Ints but he also had a lot of upside and it why he was picked early also...

The worry with Justin Herbert coming out of Oregon was the intermediate range throws. Oregons offense asked him to throw alot of screens and passes to the outside near the line of scrimmage. He threw a screen play on 1/4th of his passes while in college. He also was very accurate throwing deep on play action and allowing players to run under it. So far Herbert is still up and down on those intermediate range throws but has continued to be accurate on his deep play actions for big plays.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(10-18-2020, 11:36 AM)Synric Wrote: The worry with Justin Herbert coming out of Oregon was the intermediate range throws. Oregons offense asked him to throw alot of screens and passes to the outside near the line of scrimmage. He threw a screen play on 1/4th of his passes while in college. He also was very accurate throwing deep on play action and allowing players to run under it. So far Herbert is still up and down on those intermediate range throws but has continued to be accurate on his deep play actions for big plays.

Well he completed over 70% so hitting it seems pretty well across the sprectrum but tends to be higher risk throws at times for reward..
Reply/Quote