Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
2020 Winning Season
(01-17-2020, 03:00 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: FYI: Considering you picked us to go to the AFC Championship this past season I'm going to take any of your future predictions with a grain of salt.

They can buy tickets and go just like everyone else.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2020, 07:11 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Last Place Schedule + NFC East.. Should help add a few wins for sure.

We played a last place schedule last year too. It turned out to be the toughest schedule in the league.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2020, 09:13 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Yeah yeah, 2 and 14 blah blah blah.... many of those games were one score games that one or two plays could have turned into wins. We draft Burrow, get AJ back on the field, get Jonah in at Left Tackle, the line play is vastly improved from the start of last season. We not only have the #1 pick, we have the #1 pick in every round. I expect we'll get some gems in the draft this year. Add to that, Taylor has finally figured out how to use Mixon. I can very easily see 9 or 10 wins.

yeah yeah yeah, No one CARES about how many points you get beat by, you are just someone who enjoys mediocrity. Its ok, at least you have SOMETHING to hang your hat on!!! Yawn

Reply/Quote
(01-17-2020, 01:24 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: So Burrow as great as most say we should have a great chance at winning season. Dalton came in helped flip a four win team to a 9  win team.  Burrow expected to be great , I expect to see that success out of the gate.

Setting yourself up for a big disappoint already....
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2020, 01:24 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: So Burrow as great as most say we should have a great chance at winning season. Dalton came in helped flip a four win team to a 9  win team.  Burrow expected to be great , I expect to see that success out of the gate.

Right, because he's going to have the exact same quality of coaches and teammates that Dalton had when he came in.

Solid points. Mellow

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2020, 09:07 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Right, because he's going to have the exact same quality of coaches and teammates that Dalton had when he came in.

Solid points. 
We were 4 and 12 with pretty much the same coaches and players then we get Dalton and Green and start winning ..so now a expected big upgrade at QB should give us a solid case at a winning record.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2020, 07:16 PM)scorp1974 Wrote: Still will have no o-line to protect him.  If AJ goes we wont have any weapons either...just like this year.

No O-line at all huh? That is a little bit of an exaggeration... Sarcasm
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2020, 03:41 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: I don't think they have a choice. With ADs & Glenns salary coming off the books they're looking at roughly 85 mil in space. No way they're able to spend all that on with who they have left to sign, even with the normal "10 mil for rollover every year" they like to do.
The CBA expires after this season, so they can't "rollover" any $$$...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
The only thing I hate worse than Pittsburgh football...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

SLIM--gone, but never forgotten...

Original Bengals message boards
Rep Points: 4726

Reply/Quote
(01-17-2020, 03:00 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: FYI: Considering you picked us to go to the AFC Championship this past season I'm going to take any of your future predictions with a grain of salt.

C'mon man, it's not nice to throw past errors in people's faces.  Fellow posters, just like the Bengals organization, are always worthy of another shot to get it right.  ThumbsUp

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2020, 12:10 AM)RASCAL Wrote: yeah yeah yeah, No one CARES about how many points you get beat by, you are just someone who enjoys mediocrity. Its ok, at least you have SOMETHING to hang your hat on!!! Yawn

Have always liked you Rascal but he made some good points. But these coaches really need to improve in every aspect even when 
we Draft Joe Burrow, he will need help and it cannot only be players. The coaching last season leaves more than lots to be desired.

Tons needs to be done. But Drafting Burrow and not setting him up to succeed could do the same thing as firing Marv and bringing 
in another HC and new coaches if not done right. At least Marv WAS MEDIOCRE!!!

Zac was not even close to that last season.

We will see if it keeps on improving though, later in the season there was a better team playing more like the one in Seattle the 
opening day. Was just weird to me how they didn't improve until the last half of the season. Study up Taylor and Company...

You guys have tons to learn from.
Reply/Quote

Sounds a lot like last season. Gone is the tired old Marv and in is the young McVay coat-tails-hanger-oner who should improve the team by default. 'Cept it didn't turn out that way at all.

I do hope you are right, but I'm prepared for this coaching staff and front office to just f' it all up. My solution is to just turn on the Buckeyes and watch better football.

Reply/Quote
(01-22-2020, 10:52 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Have always liked you Rascal but he made some good points. But these coaches really need to improve in every aspect even when 
we Draft Joe Burrow, he will need help and it cannot only be players. The coaching last season leaves more than lots to be desired.

Tons needs to be done. But Drafting Burrow and not setting him up to succeed could do the same thing as firing Marv and bringing 
in another HC and new coaches if not done right. At least Marv WAS MEDIOCRE!!!

Zac was not even close to that last season.

We will see if it keeps on improving though, later in the season there was a better team playing more like the one in Seattle the 
opening day. Was just weird to me how they didn't improve until the last half of the season. Study up Taylor and Company...

You guys have tons to learn from
Same here Nate. But we all know that losing, at least to me by however many points is still a LOSS! and it counts against you NOT for you! Playing better, for gods sake they couldn't play any worse! so yeah they improve but I will NEVER hang my hat on that!

Reply/Quote
(01-23-2020, 01:54 PM)RASCAL Wrote: Same here Nate. But we all know that losing, at least to me by however many points is still a LOSS! and it counts against you NOT for you! Playing better, for gods sake they couldn't play any worse! so yeah they improve but I will NEVER hang my hat on that!

I getcha, me neither.

Need to start winning games, this is what we all can hang our hat on.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2020, 11:48 PM)jason Wrote: We played a last place schedule last year too. It turned out to be the toughest schedule in the league.

well last place just accounts for 2 of the 16 games...    We made some of those teams look better than they are too.
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2020, 09:36 PM)JSR18 Wrote: The CBA expires after this season, so they can't "rollover" any $$$...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

if a new deal isn't in place at least...  (that also allows the rollover.)
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2020, 03:37 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: if a new deal isn't in place at least...  (that also allows the rollover.)

WhoDey2 True. However, I can't see them already having a new CBA until the old one expires (after the 2020 season)... 
The only thing I hate worse than Pittsburgh football...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

SLIM--gone, but never forgotten...

Original Bengals message boards
Rep Points: 4726

Reply/Quote
(01-17-2020, 03:00 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: FYI: Considering you picked us to go to the AFC Championship this past season I'm going to take any of your future predictions with a grain of salt.

Go big or go home.... Hilarious Burrow's Bengals bring home no less than 10 wins this year.
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2020, 10:15 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: C'mon man, it's not nice to throw past errors in people's faces.  Fellow posters, just like the Bengals organization, are always worthy of another shot to get it right.  ThumbsUp

I've always said the team motto should be, "Well, there's always NEXT season...wink wink!" Don't forget to wink....or at least get a chunk of crud in your eye at a bad time.. ThumbsUp
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(01-26-2020, 02:17 AM)grampahol Wrote: I've always said the team motto should be, "Well, there's always NEXT season...wink wink!" Don't forget to wink....or at least get a chunk of crud in your eye at a bad time.. ThumbsUp

Or, posters can just wallow in negativity and pessimism. Some  remind me of Randy Quad in the Major League movies... A few wins and you'll be jumping right back on board.
Reply/Quote

I don't find that to be an unfair expectation, at all.  Unlike many, who are quick to point to the OL being in an absolute free fall for over half of last season, and the lack of a top shelf receiving weapon, I actually think that the team could be ready to get back on the upswing of things.

If things go as they are *supposed* to, the OL could actually be average or better with the emergence of Jonah Williams, and the addition of one single veteran free agent, and adding a quality prospect or two from the draft.  Fred Johnson could turn out to be a very smart late season pickup by the Bengals, freeing up the need to draft a Tackle for other areas of concern.  Of course, the receiver situation hinges on how they handle the AJ Green contract offer, but Tyler Boyd is going to continue to be his productive self, and Auden Tate got a good year of development under his belt.  Either way with AJ Green, I'm not as worried about WR, as they are fairly easy to come by in this day and age.

In my opinion, the team needs to refocus the offense on establishing a strong rushing attack, and utilizing the TEs and RBs more in the passing attack, than simply trying to push the ball downfield to the WRs.

Defensively, the team needs leadership at LB.  Someone to step up and be the face and voice of the front seven, likely the addition of a proven veteran will provide this much more than even drafting the best rookie or anyone on the existing roster.  The secondary also needs a strong voice to step up, one like we had in Reggie Nelson, and Terrance Newman before him, and Chris Crocker before him.  Someone on the field to call the shots, set the tone, and be that physical example for the others to play by.  Right now our secondary is simply a "collection of talented players", that appears to have no cohesiveness when it comes to performing as an orchestrated unit.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote