Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
2020 and Beyond Optimistic Look
Well, soon as the Brown family gets back from a ski trip to the Alps after the draft and free agents have all been gobbled up I'm sure they'll do everything they can to build a little shed in their backyard for their new skis. The only question is will they get a decent shed made of quality materials or go the cheap route from Home Depot..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-28-2020, 11:26 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Agree

We all need to temper our expectations for rookies, huge transition from college to pro

DK Metcalf had no problem as a 2nd Rd Rookie Draft Pick as did Deebo Samuel, lets be honest Drew did nothing in his rookie year
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2020, 09:28 AM)corpjet Wrote: DK Metcalf had no problem as a 2nd Rd Rookie Draft Pick as did Deebo Samuel, lets be honest Drew did nothing in his rookie year

Agreed. It seems like Bengals fans always come up with "receivers always take a while to develop" when talking about our receivers ... whereas the rest of the league realizes that many receivers can be highly productive early.
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2020, 09:31 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Sample was drafted as a blocking TE, yet you only evaluate and dump pm him for receiving. Ge also got hurt early in game 9 and missed 7 games. Do rookies get better each game with experience or worse?

My point being you may be jumping the gun calling a rookie who played just over half the season a bust. Seems a bit rushed and harsh,

No, he was drafted to be a TE who didn't need to leave the field.

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2019/5/10/18531365/bengals-draft-2019-drew-sample-washington-huskies-football

Quote:Regardless, Mike Potts, the Bengals’ college scouting director, feels the like Cincinnati found a player who has yet to play his best football.

“Drew is a lot more well-rounded than just a run-blocking tight end,” Potts told Paul Dehner Jr. of the Cincinnati Enquirer. “Run blocking is the best thing that he does but what kept coming up in our draft meetings was do we want a guy that tested better that can take the top off the coverage or really stretch the seam and maybe you get two or three big plays a game out of that guy but you feel like you have to take him off the field in certain instances. We always talk about playtime percentages. Maybe that guy only ends up playing 30-40 percent of the snaps. Whereas, this guy, if you want to be in 11 or 12 personnel, whatever you want to be in, he conceivably doesn’t need to come off the field because he’s not a liability in the pass game.”

If you want to evaluate his play, evaluate against what the Bengals brain trust thought they were drafting, which is stated above. Of course, no one else seems to have thought that about Sample.

People questioned this pick right away and this was the Bengals answer. Of course, he turned out to be nothing like what the Bengals brain trust convinced themselves he would be.

Reply/Quote
(01-31-2020, 11:13 AM)PV Bengal Wrote: Agreed. It seems like Bengals fans always come up with "receivers always take a while to develop" when talking about our receivers ... whereas the rest of the league realizes that many receivers can be highly productive early.

Well in fairness they DO take time to develop. Don't believe me? Just wait til you see how good DK Metcalf is in 3 years. Having said that; I don't have the same expectations for Sample.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2020, 09:31 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Sample was drafted as a blocking TE, yet you only evaluate and dump pm him for receiving. Ge also got hurt early in game 9 and missed 7 games. Do rookies get better each game with experience or worse?

My point being you may be jumping the gun calling a rookie who played just over half the season a bust. Seems a bit rushed and harsh,

It’s absolute lunacy to burn a 2nd round pick on a TE who is best described as a blocking TE. Blocking TE’s are late round draft picks. There’s a reason this team has fallen off of a cliff in recent seasons. It’s run by low IQ football minds when compared to the rest of the league. Who, I turn, have made largely questionable draft choices over the past 3-4 drafts.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2020, 06:26 PM)corpjet Wrote: Duke Tobin had some good drafts but recently he/they have missed the boat.....and honestly should be gone........too many misses as of late......for a team that lives and dies by the draft we can't afford early round misses....

Look at Billy Price, John Ross, Cedric O, Drew Sample, Fisher........these pics hurt us.....bad.......

I'm not confident in his/their later round selections of evaluating talent anymore

exactly, how does this guy still have a job? Thats an ugly track record of botched high picks that set his team back a decade. 
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2020, 11:57 PM)grampahol Wrote: Well, soon as the Brown family gets back from a ski trip to the Alps after the draft and free agents have all been gobbled up I'm sure they'll do everything they can to build a little shed in their backyard for their new skis. The only question is will they get a decent shed made of quality materials or go the cheap route from Home Depot..

I think you meant to say "Perfect North Slopes". They only went somewhere nice before because the Bengals had already traveled to the UK for the game so the Bengals (and thus the league/us) subsidized the majority of their vacation expense. No way Mikey B is footing the whole bill to travel to the Alps from Cincinnati. Perfect North Slopes and then some Wendy's for dinner.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2020, 02:28 PM)jason Wrote: Well in fairness they DO take time to develop. Don't believe me? Just wait til you see how good DK Metcalf is in 3 years. Having said that; I don't have the same expectations for Sample.

DK Metcalf (64th overall pick, 1 year experience): 58 catches/900 yards (15.5 AVG)/7 TD

John Ross (9th overall pick, 3 years experience): 49 catches/716 yards (14.6 AVG)/10 TD
Drew Sample (52nd overall pick, 1 year experience): 5 catches/30 yards (6.0 AVG)/0 TD

Cry

Being a Bengals fan is a rough path...

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Metcalf is a stud. I’ll give Pistons credit, he was all about us taking him. Wish we would have.

Reply/Quote
(02-02-2020, 12:16 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Metcalf is a stud. I’ll give Pistons credit, he was all about us taking him. Wish we would have.

Results may have been different here.

Reply/Quote
(02-02-2020, 12:20 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Results may have been different here.

Idk, Chad, TJ, AJ, Boyd...one thing we usually do pretty well is WR’s.

Reply/Quote
Time to get this thread back on track. I started it because at the time because almost every thread was negative it appeared. So, plenty of threads to voice pessimism so please go to those to be negative. I would appreciate efforts to derail this thread,

This is the best draft position we have had since the Palmer draft over 15 years ago, not only #1 pick, but every round.
We also may have a shot at trading and get another draft pick or 2 if we unload AD via trade.
As important, we may be able to save a net about 8 million at the QB position to use on FA's in 2020.

My point is we have a lot of headwinds in 2020 and I think the FO knows they have to be better than they have been in the past in all areas of the off season process.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2020, 09:28 AM)corpjet Wrote: DK Metcalf had no problem as a 2nd Rd Rookie Draft Pick as did Deebo Samuel, lets be honest Drew did nothing in his rookie year

(01-31-2020, 11:13 AM)PV Bengal Wrote: Agreed. It seems like Bengals fans always come up with "receivers always take a while to develop" when talking about our receivers ... whereas the rest of the league realizes that many receivers can be highly productive early.

(02-02-2020, 11:35 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: DK Metcalf (64th overall pick, 1 year experience): 58 catches/900 yards (15.5 AVG)/7 TD

John Ross (9th overall pick, 3 years experience): 49 catches/716 yards (14.6 AVG)/10 TD
Drew Sample (52nd overall pick, 1 year experience): 5 catches/30 yards (6.0 AVG)/0 TD

Cry

Being a Bengals fan is a rough path...

Let's be honest.  With the benefit of hindsight it is easy to us teh picks of 31 teams to fond one better than one single team.

You all want to pint out how brilliant Seattle was for taking Metcalf, but none of you mention that they wasted their first round pick on a DE that was healthy but only had 3 tackles in 11 games.

And you want to talk about how WRs for every other team perform well as rookies but ignore that the New England Patriots first round pick WR only had 105 yards in 8 games.

And, finally, anyone who judges a player by his rookie season does not know much about thre NFL.  Drew Sample may be a bust, but none of us know yet.  If you disagree I can post dozens of examples to prove you wrong.  Funny thing is that amny of the people here who squeal about taking Sample in the second round were also saying calling for us to draft Mack Wilson 3 rounds higher than every NFL team had him rated.

The Bengals do need to draft better, but trying to look smart by using hindsight and cherry picking is just silly.
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2020, 12:49 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Time to get this thread back on track. I started it because at the time because almost every thread was negative it appeared. So, plenty of threads to voice pessimism so please go to those to be negative. I would appreciate efforts to derail this thread,

This is the best draft position we have had since the Palmer draft over 15 years ago, not only #1 pick, but every round.
We also may have a shot at trading and get another draft pick or 2  if we unload AD via trade.
As important, we may be able to save a net about 8 million at the QB position to use on FA's in 2020.

My point is we have a lot of headwinds in 2020 and I think the FO knows they have to be better than they have been in the past in all areas of the off season process.

Couldn't be in a better position to improve this team with all the first picks in every round and the amount of dough we will have to 
spend especially if we unload the salaries of a few players. Dalton, Glenn, Kirkpartick etc. Just don't tag AJ is all I ask, if we want him
back, need to give him an incentive laden contract for multiple years. With the CBA ending Mikey will HAVE to spend money this year and with us bringing in Burrow I actually expect it for once.
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2020, 12:20 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Results may have been different here.

Nah... He's a player. He slipped die to too much thinking and evaluation. Seattle got a steal.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote