Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2020, the year of the scout?
Will 2020 be the year that the front office finally caves and hires a scouting department commensurate with their NFL peers? The last several drafts have been uninspiring, and the team’s unwillingness to use FA to sign difference-making talent has led to the current hole the team finds itself in. In the grand scheme of things, scouting/player development personnel are a cheap expenditure. For the price of a C-D list free agent the team could hire another 5-10 personnel to help unearth talent and fill out the roster. This would serve the dual purpose of lessening the burden of the coaching staff.

Thoughts?
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2020, 05:08 PM)t3r3e3 Wrote: Will 2020 be the year that the front office finally caves and hires a scouting department commensurate with their NFL peers?  The last several drafts have been uninspiring, and the team’s unwillingness to use FA to sign difference-making talent has led to the current hole the team finds itself in.  In the grand scheme of things, scouting/player development personnel are a cheap expenditure.  For the price of a C-D list free agent the team could hire another 5-10 personnel to help unearth talent and fill out the roster.  This would serve the dual purpose of lessening the burden of the coaching staff.

Thoughts?

I think you are preaching to the choir on this board with this one.

Unfortunately, Mike Brown lives in a bubble where new ideas aren't allowed in. Only ideas originating from within the bubble have any validity to the guy.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
Mike already has a Scout lined up...

[Image: hqdefault.jpg]

...right next to the Lumina.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
[Image: th?id=OIP.HxfsXfRiqt1yfUJpuXSePQAAAA&pid...=300&h=300]
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2020, 06:23 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: [Image: th?id=OIP.HxfsXfRiqt1yfUJpuXSePQAAAA&pid...=300&h=300]

Lord knows we're overdue.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2020, 06:23 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: [Image: th?id=OIP.HxfsXfRiqt1yfUJpuXSePQAAAA&pid...=300&h=300]

Clemson is probably due for another title...
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote

Well that's gonna be in my head for at least an hour.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2020, 09:58 PM)jason Wrote: Well that's gonna be in my head for at least an hour.

Hilarious Wink
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2020, 09:58 PM)jason Wrote: Well that's gonna be in my head for at least an hour.

Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2020, 05:08 PM)t3r3e3 Wrote: Will 2020 be the year that the front office finally caves and hires a scouting department commensurate with their NFL peers? The last several drafts have been uninspiring, and the team’s unwillingness to use FA to sign difference-making talent has led to the current hole the team finds itself in. In the grand scheme of things, scouting/player development personnel are a cheap expenditure. For the price of a C-D list free agent the team could hire another 5-10 personnel to help unearth talent and fill out the roster. This would serve the dual purpose of lessening the burden of the coaching staff.

Thoughts?

Is it April 1st or January 1st?
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote

Well 2022 is the Year of the Tiger so

2020 we draft Joe Burrow and go 8-8
2021 we return to the playoffs
2022 Super Bowl!

I can dig it ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2020, 02:07 AM)Brandon00151 Wrote: Well 2022 is the Year of the Tiger so

2020 we draft Joe Burrow and go 8-8
2021 we return to the playoffs
2022 Super Bowl!

I can dig it ThumbsUp
Even if we did cave and get a scouting department, you want your scouts to see all of the small school guys and find sleepers, which is easier now with how big the internet is, but you still want to get some in-person looks and whatever, and, even if the internet was enough right now, the scouting department wouldn't be big enough or have enough time to go through all players' profiles and game-tapes to find and evaluate talent.
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2020, 05:08 PM)t3r3e3 Wrote: Will 2020 be the year that the front office finally caves and hires a scouting department commensurate with their NFL peers?  The last several drafts have been uninspiring, and the team’s unwillingness to use FA to sign difference-making talent has led to the current hole the team finds itself in.  In the grand scheme of things, scouting/player development personnel are a cheap expenditure.  For the price of a C-D list free agent the team could hire another 5-10 personnel to help unearth talent and fill out the roster.  This would serve the dual purpose of lessening the burden of the coaching staff.

Thoughts?

the coaches help scout.. And we have the largest coaching staff we have ever had.
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2020, 01:32 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: the coaches help scout.. And we have the largest coaching staff we have ever had.

And the coaches are so so good as well lol. Doesn't help much when crappy coaches are helping the understaffed crappy scouts. 

The competitive teams have better coaches and far more scouts and more staff overall in the management of player personnel. It really is that simple. Until we do the same, we are at a significant disadvantage, likely insurmountable disadvantage. 
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
(01-02-2020, 01:32 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: the coaches help scout.. And we have the largest coaching staff we have ever had.

Because Mike Brown is cheap.  Coaches don't have time between preparing for games and coaching their own players to properly scout college players.
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2020, 05:15 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Because Mike Brown is cheap.  Coaches don't have time between preparing for games and coaching their own players to properly scout college players.
based on their product on the field it didnt seem they spent much time on those things like preparing for games or coaching their players.
So they should have had plenty of time to scout.  Plus they have 4 months to go review all the candiates
Reply/Quote
#FireDukeTobin
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote