Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2021 FA
There is a seller's market (player) and a buyer's market (team) and in 2021 it will shake out to be the biggest (cheapest) buyer's market ever in my opinion. Players are getting dumped due to cap constraints already and it will only increase as we get close to March 17.

I hope our Bengals use their money wisely. I hope they cut some players who do not have a lot of dead cap money:

Geno - loved him but overpaid so needs to restructure or get cut
Gio - Overpaid based on projected 2021 RB salaries for back ups, heck he made more than our starting OG's in 2020 which makes no sense
Finney
Some say Hart, I say he is paid like a good backup RT so make him one by bringing in someone better in FA or draft.

There are more we can cut to go after OT's, centers, or guards in FA.

Time to be smart and build the team with good football players who only were cut for cap reasons and take advantage of teams who did a poor job managing the 2021 and 2022 cap.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2021, 11:24 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: There is a seller's market (player) and a buyer's market (team) and in 2021 it will shake out to be the biggest (cheapest) buyer's market ever in my opinion. Players are getting dumped due to cap constraints already and it will only increase as we get close to March 17.

I hope our Bengals use their money wisely. I hope they cut some players who do not have a lot of dead cap money:

Geno - loved him but overpaid so needs to restructure or get cut
Gio - Overpaid based on projected 2021 RB salaries for back ups, heck he made more than our starting OG's in 2020 which makes no sense
Finney
Some say Hart, I say he is paid like a good backup RT so make him one by bringing in someone better in FA or draft.

There are more we can cut to go after OT's, centers, or guards in FA.

Time to be smart and build the team with good football players who only were cut for cap reasons and take advantage of teams who did a poor job managing the 2021 and 2022 cap.

Shouldn't Uzomah be added to the list?
He currently is the 11th highest-paid TE based on APY, and is coming off an Achilles injury.
Moving on from him would free up $5.3 mill in cap.

I don't have faith he'll be a 600+ yard guy, which is the threshold for top 12 receiving yards by TEs in 2020.
You willing to spend that much based on what you saw for 2 games of 2020?
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-04-2021, 01:09 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Shouldn't Uzomah be added to the list?
He currently is the 11th highest-paid TE based on APY, and is coming off an Achilles injury.

I don't have faith he'll be a 600+ yard guy, which is the threshold for top 12 receiving yards by TEs in 2020.

Uzomah is a tough case. I would understand the decision if they went in either direction. He had some good plays with Burrow in the very short time he was healthy last season and we know Burrow loves his TEs. But he is definitely overpaid.

I would prefer if we could cut him and then re-sign him for his market value though. But I don't think that happens very often.
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2021, 01:09 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Shouldn't Uzomah be added to the list?

Uzomah was definitely a player I was thinking of when I said others, I just think we can get better players for less money at some positions. I think DT (Geno), Backup RB (Gio) and Uzomah are definitely on the list, but there are others as well.

Why not free up 20 to 30 million to add to FA pool?

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
Agree with your takes Luvnit. Geno and Gio both need to restructure if they are going to stick around. Don't see it with
Geno, but he should as he did literally nothing last season. Gio played very well on the other hand but we cannot afford
to keep both Mixon and Gio with what is currently being paid out IMO.

Cut Finney and Hart is my opinion, Hart is being paid too much for a backup.

Also on the cut Uzomah train. Free up the dough so we can hit FA hard and free up the Draft.
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2021, 03:04 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Agree with your takes Luvnit. Geno and Gio both need to restructure if they are going to stick around. Don't see it with
Geno, but he should as he did literally nothing last season. Gio played very well on the other hand but we cannot afford

Also on the cut Uzomah train. Free up the dough so we can hit FA hard and free up the Draft.

If ever there was a time to restructure contracts, this is that time.

I think a guy like Geno and Uzomah, and Gio are smart enough to see the amount of guys getting cut right now. The market is going to be flooded with players, so this should give the team a chance to keep a lot of these guys to prevent creating new holes, while being able to say to them, hey we don't want to release you we'd like to work out a new deal.

The player gets another year of security added to the end of their contract, and the Bengals get the cap number down in the present time. Maybe you end up giving them a little more then what the others on the market are getting so they are interested in the deal, but it still provides cap relief for the team. Becomes a win/win situation. More cap space without creating new holes as both Uzomah and Gio are very useful players, and Geno, if healthy can still be a force I believe.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(03-04-2021, 05:17 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: If ever there was a time to restructure contracts, this is that time.

I think a guy like Geno and Uzomah, and Gio are smart enough to see the amount of guys getting cut right now. The market is going to be flooded with players, so this should give the team a chance to keep a lot of these guys to prevent creating new holes, while being able to say to them, hey we don't want to release you we'd like to work out a new deal.

The player gets another year of security added to the end of their contract, and the Bengals get the cap number down in the present time. Maybe you end up giving them a little more then what the others on the market are getting so they are interested in the deal, but it still provides cap relief for the team. Becomes a win/win situation. More cap space without creating new holes as both Uzomah and Gio are very useful players, and Geno, if healthy can still be a force I believe.

You know it Murdock, hoping we restructure the most, especially with Gio as he is so good at picking up the blitz.

Could be right about Geno, he didn't look in shape or healthy last Offseason. We all know he is a hard working sumbitch.

Maybe he just needed another Offseason to return to being said force and tossing Guards around again...

But at a cheaper price, he has to prove something after last year, that was sad.
Reply/Quote
We currently have the 5th most cap space in the NFL
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(03-04-2021, 05:22 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: You know it Murdock, hoping we restructure the most, especially with Gio as he is so good at picking up the blitz.

Could be right about Geno, he didn't look in shape or healthy last Offseason. We all know he is a hard working sumbitch.

Maybe he just needed another Offseason to return to being said force and tossing Guards around again...

But at a cheaper price, he has to prove something after last year, that was sad.

I like restructure first for some, but Geno is risky. He could be AJ Green 2.0. But, if he wants to take a huge pay cut or pay cut with incentives (like snaps played per game), then he shares his injury risk and aging with the team.

Reply/Quote
(03-04-2021, 05:26 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I like restructure first for some, but Geno is risky. He could be AJ Green 2.0. But, if he wants to take a huge pay cut or pay cut with incentives (like snaps played per game), then he shares his injury risk and aging with the team.

I agree, but after what he shown last season (nothing) he should know he wouldn't have his normal FA interest.

He HAS to restructure to stick around after last season. Paying the guy way too much to do nothing.

You are right though, even restructuring with Geno is risky.
Reply/Quote
Geno needs to be cut period, he's shown nothing in 2 years and that salary can be used for someone else!! OTOH, they usually don't restructure deals, but this is a different year and the 2 that come to mind are Uzomeh/Gio. I would try to drop their current salaries @30% with signing bonuses to free up some cash for FA.

Gio-3.5 new salary
Uzomeh- 4.2 new salary

-this gives us another 3 million or so for FA, or to use on extentions Hubbard/Bates
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2021, 06:41 PM)schroomytunes Wrote: Geno needs to be cut period, he's shown nothing in 2 years and that salary can be used for someone else!! OTOH, they usually don't restructure deals, but this is a different year and the 2 that come to mind are Uzomeh/Gio. I would try to drop their current salaries @30% with signing bonuses to free up some cash for FA.

Gio-3.5 new salary
Uzomeh- 4.2 new salary

-this gives us another 3 million or so for FA, or to use on extentions Hubbard/Bates

Sounds good to me.
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2021, 05:22 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: You know it Murdock, hoping we restructure the most, especially with Gio as he is so good at picking up the blitz.

Bengals don't restructure.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-04-2021, 07:46 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Bengals don't restructure.

Just gonna have to cut them all then...
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2021, 05:25 PM)bfine32 Wrote: We currently have the 5th most cap space in the NFL

They do, but does not mean in a cap strapped year for others we don't dive into contracts of those who have not played to the level of their contract so we can create more cap space to pay guys like Lawson who deserve a better contract based on production.

We can't have enough money in my opinion in 2021 if we are going to get some great players at a decent price.

Reply/Quote
(03-04-2021, 03:04 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Agree with your takes Luvnit. Geno and Gio both need to restructure if they are going to stick around. Don't see it with

And then we can possibly draft Pitts or Yeboah to take his spot ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote