Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2022 Cap is 208 million
"The league and the NFL Players Association have agreed to a salary cap ceiling of $208.2 million for 2022, NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reported Wednesday. Pelissero noted that there is not currently an agreed to cap floor and that the final cap figure will not be set until next February."

Why is this important now? The GM's and FO's as well as players can make fact based decisions on contracts. This is a hug increase so a team like the Bengals does not have to worry about carry over in 2021 to 2022, so hopefully Bengals are not done with off seasons adds via trade (Ertz) or FA's who may be available after June 1 cuts or training camp cuts.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
I am getting more and more behind the idea of giving Morgan Moses a three-year deal with an out after two years. I would love the line to go:

Williams- Reiff- Hopkins- Carman- Moses

A proven commodity that will allow time to bring guys like Smith along the right way (see Jordan, Mike for the wrong way...not really his fault)
Reply/Quote
Hopefully we throw some Bates' way.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(05-26-2021, 07:34 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Hopefully we throw some Bates' way.

Only person in the secondary that might actually catch it if they did.

Ninja

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2021, 07:14 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: I am getting more and more behind the idea of giving Morgan Moses a three-year deal with an out after two years.  I would love the line to go:

A proven commodity that will allow time to bring guys like Smith along the right way (see Jordan, Mike for the wrong way...not really his fault)

I would have no issue giving Moses a one  year 3.5 million prove it deal. But, I still think Ertz should be added via trade also to help pass and run game. Ertz is a 3 down TE that be in 1 TE set or 2 TE sets to run or pass or 3 TE sets to run.

We have the cash to do both and add a LB or defensive starter via FA

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
Bengals still have over $23 million in cap space for this season.

3rd most in the league.
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2021, 04:19 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: "The league and the NFL Players Association have agreed to a salary cap ceiling of $208.2 million for 2022, NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reported Wednesday. Pelissero noted that there is not currently an agreed to cap floor and that the final cap figure will not be set until next February."

Why is this important now? The GM's and FO's as well as players can make fact based decisions on contracts. This is a hug increase so a team like the Bengals does not have to worry about carry over in 2021 to 2022, so hopefully Bengals are not done with off seasons adds via trade (Ertz) or FA's who may be available after June 1 cuts or training camp cuts.

That's not the way I interpret that.

The way I interpret is the highest they can set the cap is $208.2 mill, but they could decide to go with a lower number (e.g. $200 mill).
Teams will still be able to roll over any unused cap they have in 2021 into 2022 to increase their available cap, as they've always been able to do.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(05-26-2021, 08:07 PM)ochocincos Wrote: That's not the way I interpret that.

The way I interpret is the highest they can set the cap is $208.2 mill, but they could decide to go with a lower number (e.g. $200 mill).
Teams will still be able to roll over any unused cap they have in 2021 into 2022 to increase their available cap, as they've always been able to do.

My point is why we would we need to roll over anything, we get an extra 26+ million versus 2021 cap in 2022. Plenty to sign our great player to extensions so for once, spend the money and no roll over is my hope.

Reply/Quote
(05-27-2021, 08:59 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: My point is why we would we need to roll over anything, we get an extra 26+ million versus 2021 cap in 2022. Plenty to sign our great player to extensions so for once, spend the money and no roll over is my hope.

Bates and Hubbard should both get extensions.  Spending our money on locking up our own players instead of bringing in new ones won't make the team better this year, but it would be the best move for the long run.

Especially since Reiff and Ogunjobi are both here on just one-year deals.  Ogunjobi is just 26 and could be a key player we want to re-sign to a long term deal next year.  Reiff is getting older but if he plays well we may also need to re-sign him next season.  I am afraid we may still have some major holes in our O-line.
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2021, 07:54 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I would have no issue giving Moses a one  year 3.5 million prove it deal. But, I still think Ertz should be added via trade also to help pass and run game. Ertz is a 3 down TE that be in 1 TE set or 2 TE sets to run or pass or 3 TE sets to run.

We have the cash to do both and add a LB or defensive starter via FA

Moses isn't going to come here for less than half what he would have been paid had he stayed in Wash.  Or anywhere else for that matter.  I don't see Ertz as a big need with Uzo, Sample, and Moss.  
Reply/Quote
(05-27-2021, 08:59 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: My point is why we would we need to roll over anything, we get an extra 26+ million versus 2021 cap in 2022. Plenty to sign our great player to extensions so for once, spend the money and no roll over is my hope.

There aren't a lot of good players left to sign at this point.
They could roll over what they have left and go even more into FA next year (although they probably wouldn't).
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(05-27-2021, 09:29 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Moses isn't going to come here for less than half what he would have been paid had he stayed in Wash.  Or anywhere else for that matter.  I don't see Ertz as a big need with Uzo, Sample, and Moss.  

I actually read (sorry did not save link) he could be signed for 3 to 4 million on one year prove it deal. Cap space is at  premium in 2021, I think we could get Geno back for 3 to 4 million also on one year deal.  

We don't have a 3 down TE as our starter, disagree and thin Ertz would be a huge upgrade. Uzomah is an average at best blocker and decent receiving TE, Sample is a good blocker and average receiver at best and Moss has done nothing in the NFL, but appears to be a better blocker than receiver.

Reply/Quote
(05-27-2021, 10:05 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I actually read (sorry did not save link) he could be signed for 3 to 4 million on one year prove it deal. Cap space is at  premium in 2021, I think we could get Geno back for 3 to 4 million also on one year deal.  

We don't have a 3 down TE as our starter, disagree and thin Ertz would be a huge upgrade. Uzomah is an average at best blocker and decent receiving TE, Sample is a good blocker and average receiver at best and Moss has done nothing in the NFL, but appears to be a better blocker than receiver.

Ertz would be an upgrade, but he probably doesn't have more than a couple years left with good production.
Most TEs start falling off when they're in their early 30's.
I'd take Ertz and drop Uzomah.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(05-27-2021, 09:17 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Bates and Hubbard should both get extensions.

Agreed & I suspect this will be the Bengals priority. I'd imagine Bates first and then Hubbard. It looks like Allen and Huber are also up for new contracts. They aren't getting the big deals, but I'd speculate the Bengals might have interest in keeping them around.
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2021, 07:14 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: I am getting more and more behind the idea of giving Morgan Moses a three-year deal with an out after two years.  I would love the line to go:

This would be a brilliant move
Reply/Quote
(05-27-2021, 09:17 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Bates and Hubbard should both get extensions.  Spending our money on locking up our own players instead of bringing in new ones won't make the team better this year, but it would be the best move for the long run.

Especially since Reiff and Ogunjobi are both here on just one-year deals.  Ogunjobi is just 26 and could be a key player we want to re-sign to a long term deal next year.  Reiff is getting older but if he plays well we may also need to re-sign him next season.  I am afraid we may still have some major holes in our O-line.

I agree, it'd be wise to at least get Bates locked up to a good extension.
Traditionally, the Bengals haven't given a ton of money in the current year toward an extension (typically no more than $3-5 mill), but they could give more this year if they wanted.

Given how good Bates has been, he's going to get $14+ mill a year from someone.
Hubbard is more in the $10 mill a year range, IMO.
If he steps up this year, I could see someone giving him $12 mill a year.

I think it's smart to consider re-signing Ogunjobi and/or Reiff before the start of FA next year, depending on how they do this season.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Bates is getting props as a team leader & his play on the field has been great. It would be nice if they proactively gave him a long term deal.
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2021, 08:00 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Bengals still have over $23 million in cap space for this season.

3rd most in the league.

Plenty of money to trade for Julio. Just run exclusively nothing but 4 WR sets.   Ninja

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(05-27-2021, 10:05 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I actually read (sorry did not save link) he could be signed for 3 to 4 million on one year prove it deal. Cap space is at  premium in 2021, I think we could get Geno back for 3 to 4 million also on one year deal.  

Ertz is a name that had a really good career, but is 30 years old, and coming off a 36 reception season (off 72 targets!).  I don't see him as an upgrade at this point over Uzo or Sample.  
Reply/Quote
(05-28-2021, 08:27 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Ertz is a name that had a really good career, but is 30 years old, and coming off a 36 reception season (off 72 targets!).  I don't see him as an upgrade at this point over Uzo or Sample.  

Uzomah was hurt and it appears you ignore his 2020 stats, Ertz has one bad year (Uzomah has never had a great year and never known to be able to block well, yet you see no upgrade. A healthy 30 year old Ertz is better than a younger Uzomah, in experience and talent/

I respect your opinion, bit strongly disagree and will wager  whomever Ertz plays for in 2021. he will put up better PFF rankings in both run and pass plays against any of our TE's.

Reply/Quote