Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2022 Election Results Thread
(11-13-2022, 02:52 AM)guyofthetiger Wrote: I guess the Senate is going to be controlled by the Dems with 50 senators and the VP. The House is still slim. I would say the next 2 years are pretty much stalemate years. People must like inflation and higher taxes.

I didn't know we here in Canada were governed by your country as well...
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
https://www.yahoo.com/now/yellen-regrets-deeming-inflation-transitory-132811535.html

My problem with the inflation story is that our Treasury Secretary initially called it transitory. It couldn't have been further from the truth.
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2022, 01:21 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Yeah, the GOP will get the majority there barring some fairly major shakeups, but still...another big flop by the GOP to gain so few seats relatively speaking.  If you would have offered a republican a slim house majority and not controlling the senate prior to the midterms, I doubt they'd have taken that deal.

The GOP has faced red flags and sobering truths in 2016 despite a win, 2018, 2020, and now 2022.  They've been unwilling to face facts and make the changes, rather they've allowed a narrative to be spun that despite a narrow win and 3 losses to their party they are in fact winning each time by a lot.  They've managed to convince a lot of voters that their current course of action is the most effective and safe one there is.

Kind of like those Japanese citizens in WWII who cheered the empire's victories after '43, 

without considering why each 'victory' was closer to Japan.
Reply/Quote
(11-14-2022, 02:18 PM)Dill Wrote: Kind of like those Japanese citizens in WWII who cheered the empire's victories after '43, 

without considering why each 'victory' was closer to Japan.

I was thinking more like the line parents have to toe (tow?) when they are attempting to convince their kids that Santa is real, but also that just because Santa is real it doesn't mean he's going to bring them a bunch of things that mom and dad couldn't likely afford...makes sense, right?

I recall being aroudn 5 years old and buying in on Santa and then asking why we can't just ask for all sorts of stuff if it's magically given to us and my mom said something along the lines of "Unless you're really poor you have to leave Santa a check."

Trump is the same way.  You need his followers to believe he's magical and all powerful, but you also have to find a way to convince them it may be time to stop relying upon his magic so much without admitting his magic isn't real.  I can't believe we are talking about a voter base that is well beyond childhood with this stuff.

Midterm related - Trump in heels™ Kari Lake is looking down the barrel of a loss and I can't see her graciously admitting defeat. Looks like Trump is letting people know it was rigged...

[Image: FhiVTXAUoAAtEjd?format=jpg&name=small]
Reply/Quote
(11-14-2022, 02:52 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I was thinking more like the line parents have to toe (tow?) when they are attempting to convince their kids that Santa is real, but also that just because Santa is real it doesn't mean he's going to bring them a bunch of things that mom and dad couldn't likely afford...makes sense, right?

I recall being aroudn 5 years old and buying in on Santa and then asking why we can't just ask for all sorts of stuff if it's magically given to us and my mom said something along the lines of "Unless you're really poor you have to leave Santa a check."

Trump is the same way.  You need his followers to believe he's magical and all powerful, but you also have to find a way to convince them it may be time to stop relying upon his magic so much without admitting his magic isn't real.  I can't believe we are talking about a voter base that is well beyond childhood with this stuff.

Midterm related - Trump in heels™ Kari Lake is looking down the barrel of a loss and I can't see her graciously admitting defeat. Looks like Trump is letting people know it was rigged...

[Image: FhiVTXAUoAAtEjd?format=jpg&name=small]
She actually benefitted from the mail-in ballots.  The gap closed a fair bit when these votes started to be counted.  Trump never lets a the truth get in the way of a good tantrum.
Reply/Quote
Katie Hobbs has officially won the governorship of Arizona. Democrats have now flipped three governor seats while Republicans have only flipped one. Lake, Hobbs’ opponent, was another Trump backed selection and she will join the extensive list of those who lost. Trump backed candidates did very poorly in this election cycle.
Reply/Quote
Kari Lake's "concession" tweet. Somehow I don't think she meant it the way it came across

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(11-15-2022, 11:11 AM)pally Wrote: Kari Lake's "concession" tweet.  Somehow I don't think she meant it the way it came across

Ironically, she is right. I mean, she insulted McCain Republicans at one of her rallies. What in the world made her think that would do her any good? 
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2022, 11:34 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: Ironically, she is right. I mean, she insulted McCain Republicans at one of her rallies. What in the world made her think that would do her any good? 

Unfortunately, that's all they have. Those MAGA people only have hate and insults to share. People don't vote for them for what they propose but because they go for the people they hate.

And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

Reply/Quote
(11-15-2022, 11:34 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: Ironically, she is right. I mean, she insulted McCain Republicans at one of her rallies. What in the world made her think that would do her any good? 

I assume she and Mastriano believe Trump legitimately won in AZ and PA because they followed his playbook and shoved his endorsement in the faces of the voters.  That's all I can think of.  Trump insulted McCain and he won AZ, so she just did the same thing and she won it, too.

Go figure Trump in heels lost a popular vote in a state Trump not in heels lost, too.  The GOPs has to break out of this mindset that being Trump or acting like him is the key to victory.  Are democrats this delusional?  Do they run candidates in red states like Florida and Ohio and say

"You'll love me...I'm just like Joe Biden!"
BOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!
"Oh shut up, you know he won this state.  You all voted for him but it was rigged.  Shut up."

Hobbs is a crap candidate who won this one by default, though.  AZ did elect Mark Kelly to a second term by around 5 points though, so they clearly put more support behind democrat candidates who offer more than simply not being a Trumper.
Reply/Quote
(11-14-2022, 11:33 AM)Goalpost Wrote: https://www.yahoo.com/now/yellen-regrets-deeming-inflation-transitory-132811535.html

My problem with the inflation story is that our Treasury Secretary initially called it transitory.  It couldn't have been further from the truth.

I mean, I don't think they have crystal balls.
Here comes another potential whopper.
https://www.cnbc.com/2022/11/16/chemical-industry-warns-rail-strike-will-hit-gdp-stoke-inflation.html
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2022, 12:44 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Well, the GOP is trying to argue that someone who signs that at the age of 18 is too naïve and stupid to understand what he/she is doing.  Anywho, I'll pay off my loans as I always planned to, but I guess I could also say that if the government offered to bail out my business I'd be too cool to take that handout, too.  People want stuff from the government, so pushing that makes more sense than pushing stuff people don't want.

[Image: 315be31f890dcf0bdb0c663574ea2434.jpg]
[Image: 4540978331_3e8fe35323.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(11-22-2022, 06:56 AM)BengalYankee Wrote: [Image: 315be31f890dcf0bdb0c663574ea2434.jpg]

Nice sentiment. 
Reply/Quote
(11-22-2022, 09:02 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Nice sentiment. 

It's a great line. But since I was a kid, I was always like "Great, I can volunteer to join the military, fight in a war, and if I survive and have medical problems etc, but I better not ask my country to take care of me when I get back!" Lol 
I used to be jmccracky. Or Cracky for short.
Reply/Quote