Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2022 IR and Practice Squad Rules
2 of the best things the NFL has done recently was to allow for a larger practice squad with game-day elevation from the squad. And to allow a shorter-term IR that allows players to return for the season. For once they aren't going to screw around with a good thing

The 2022 practice squad can have up to 16 players signed to it. 10 must be rookies or 2nd-year players. Last season the initial unvested players on the PS were all final cuts from the team itself. The other 6 positions may be vested veterans. As much as some would like to see him on the 53, I can see Quinton Spain filling one of those spots. I can also see Larry Ogunjobi being signed too. It will be a long way from that $48 million contract the Bears took back but it will be a job and a chance to show he can still play.

Players can be elevated 3 times during the season up from last season's 2 non-COVID elevations. Anything after that will require signing them to the 53 and clearing waivers before returning them to the PS

Short-Term IR will now require the player to miss at least 4 games a change from last year's 3 weeks. A player may use short-term IR twice in a season whereas last season a 2nd stint on the IR was season-ending. Finally, short-term IR may only be used 8 times during the season a change from last season's unlimited number. I'm sure they've been tracking the statistics so this is a good balance between using and abusing the process

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote