Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2022 Off Line Roster
You only get 10 spots on your team for lineman before you start trying to hide draft picks on the practice squad.

Possible 2022 Roster:
• Tre Hopkins (C, G)
• Riley Reiff (RT, G)
• Quinton Spain (LG)
• Jonah Williams (LT)
• Jackson Carmen (RG)
• D'Ante Smith (LT)
• Isiah Prince (RT)
• Terron Armstead (LT) Signed Free Agent
• Tyler Linderbaum © 32nd pick
Keep current player or draft a tackle project

Starting Lineup could be
Armstead (LT), Spain (LG), Linderbaum ©, Reiff (RG), Williams (RT)

That should fix the line for a few years.
Reply/Quote
I think Linderbaum is gone by the time our turn to pick comes around.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(02-13-2022, 11:01 AM)Interceptor Wrote: I think Linderbaum is gone by the time our turn to pick comes around.

I know. I am just hoping he falls to us. Some mocks have him falling to us.
If not, we keep Tre Hopkins and Trey Hill.
Reply/Quote
Not sure Reif will get re-signed. He might hang them up, or we might go in a different direction as he once again ended a season injured. That is why he was available in the first place. When he is healthy, he is good, but he is tough to rely on. With that said, I'm cool with him coming back as a depth mentor, but I don't know that he would go for it.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-13-2022, 11:39 AM)jfkbengals Wrote: Not sure Reif will get re-signed.  He might hang them up, or we might go in a different direction as he once again ended a season injured.  That is why he was available in the first place.  When he is healthy, he is good, but he is tough to rely on.  With that said, I'm cool with him coming back as a depth mentor, but I don't know that he would go for it.

He will come back and he has said in the past he is willing to switch to guard. 
He will be happy to win this Super Bowl but ecstatic to play and win next years Super Bowl with this team.
Reply/Quote
(02-13-2022, 11:01 AM)Interceptor Wrote: I think Linderbaum is gone by the time our turn to pick comes around.

WalterFootball has him mocked to Pitt on one and Titans on the other.  Both have us drafting the Ohio State tackle.
Reply/Quote
(02-13-2022, 11:59 AM)jfkbengals Wrote: WalterFootball has him mocked to Pitt on one and Titans on the other.  Both have us drafting the Ohio State tackle.

Daniel Jeremiah on NFL network's mock draft has Linderbaum dropping to us.
Either Linderbaum or a Tackle will fall to us at 32.
Reply/Quote
(02-13-2022, 10:48 AM)SuperBowlBound! Wrote: You only get 10 spots on your team for lineman before you start trying to hide draft picks on the practice squad.

Possible 2022 Roster:
• Tre Hopkins (C, G)
• Riley Reiff (RT, G)
• Quinton Spain (LG)
• Jonah Williams (LT)
• Jackson Carmen (RG)
• D'Ante Smith (LT)
• Isiah Prince (RT)

Starting Lineup could be

Don;t trust Reiff, age, end of year injury played ok but short term fix at what $$.. need to go after two FA oline signing and 1st round pick to replace hopkins and reiff and battle for guard position
Reply/Quote
(02-13-2022, 11:59 AM)jfkbengals Wrote: WalterFootball has him mocked to Pitt on one and Titans on the other.  Both have us drafting the Ohio State tackle.

I was looking at Green and Ikwone. But I don't know if Green is making himself eligible or Ikwone will already be taken. 
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote

I've seen his position in mock drafts range WILDLY from 32 all the way up to, like, the Giants' pick at #5.

I will say that, back in 2012, we really wanted David DeCastro at 21, but we told ourselves all off season that there was no way he'd be there.

Come draft day and the son of a gun was sitting right there waiting for us.

We ended up trading down (It netted us a 3rd round pick that we used on Brandon Thompson, so basically a wasted trade down), but he was there. He lasted until 24 and he was considered, at the time, one of the best guard prospects in the class and in the last few years.

Interior Linemen just tend to slip in the draft. Probably for the same reason teams like the Bengals never give guards and centers big money. They're considered "less important" positions; essentially you throw players in there that can't play OT due to physical limitations. You can see this in action when we took a LT in the 2nd round who we knew was not athletic enough to play tackle and just hoped he would pick up the complexities of the guard position in his rookie year (spoiler alert: he did not).

There are exceptions like Quenton Nelson and Alijah Vera-Tucker who go in the top 10 to top 15 picks at guard but, generally, the first guard is taken in the late first round or early second round each year.

Overall, since 1976, the average draft position of the first guard taken in the NFL is around pick 25, late in the first round (There weren't always 32 teams, so the average may be a slot or two off, but this was just done with quick math).

And center actually has an even worse draft history with only one center going in the top 15 since 1993 in Steve Everitt (and he was the only one since 1976).

Overall, since 1976, the average draft position of the first center taken in the NFL is around pick 37, early in the 2nd round (There weren't always 32 teams, so the average may be a slot or two off, but this was just done with quick math).

If Linderbaum is still there around 24, I would hope we trade up, but obviously we don't really do that. So let's just hope the devaluing of the position continues and we get our guy at 32 haha.

He isn't a perfect center prospect, after all. He's undersized at only about 290 lbs and may struggle with larger nose tackles in the NFL. 

I do think he's a perfect fit for our offense though, which is why he's my number one target in this draft class.
Reply/Quote
(02-13-2022, 12:30 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Don;t trust Reiff, age, end of year injury played ok but short term fix at what $$.. need to go after two FA oline signing and 1st round pick to replace hopkins and reiff and battle for guard position

We just cant afford to sign too many free agents and still keep our free agents like Spain, Uzomah, Ogunjobi and Bates.
I don't think Reiff will cost as much as a top line FA. I think we will keep Tre Hopkins to avoid dead cap space.
We will need to trust Frank Pollack and his opinion of the long term success will be for Trey Hill, Jackson Carmen, Isiah Prince and Hakeem Adenji are. If he feels like they will develop into starting lineman we may save cap space.
Reply/Quote
(02-13-2022, 12:39 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I've seen his position in mock drafts range WILDLY from 32 all the way up to, like, the Giants' pick at #5.

I will say that, back in 2012, we really wanted David DeCastro at 21, but we told ourselves all off season that there was no way he'd be there.

Come draft day and the son of a gun was sitting right there waiting for us.

We ended up trading down (It netted us a 3rd round pick that we used on Brandon Thompson, so basically a wasted trade down), but he was there. He lasted until 24 and he was considered, at the time, one of the best guard prospects in the class and in the last few years.

Interior Linemen just tend to slip in the draft. Probably for the same reason teams like the Bengals never give guards and centers big money. They're considered "less important" positions; essentially you throw players in there that can't play OT due to physical limitations. You can see this in action when we took a LT in the 2nd round who we knew was not athletic enough to play tackle and just hoped he would pick up the complexities of the guard position in his rookie year (spoiler alert: he did not).

There are exceptions like Quenton Nelson and Alijah Vera-Tucker who go in the top 10 to top 15 picks at guard but, generally, the first guard is taken in the late first round or early second round each year.

Overall, since 1976, the average draft position of the first guard taken in the NFL is around pick 25, late in the first round (There weren't always 32 teams, so the average may be a slot or two off, but this was just done with quick math).

And center actually has an even worse draft history with only one center going in the top 15 since 1993 in Steve Everitt (and he was the only one since 1976).

Overall, since 1976, the average draft position of the first center taken in the NFL is around pick 37, early in the 2nd round (There weren't always 32 teams, so the average may be a slot or two off, but this was just done with quick math).

If Linderbaum is still there around 24, I would hope we trade up, but obviously we don't really do that. So let's just hope the devaluing of the position continues and we get our guy at 32 haha.

He isn't a perfect center prospect, after all. He's undersized at only about 290 lbs and may struggle with larger nose tackles in the NFL. 

I do think he's a perfect fit for our offense though, which is why he's my number one target in this draft class.

Very interesting thanks for taking the time to research.

If you look at our team we re actually pretty solid especially if we sign some of FA and additional 1 or 2 free agents. 
With that being said it affords the opportunity to trade up in the draft a little to land a coveted draft pick.

Winning the Super Bowl will put us in a position we have never been in before.
Free Agents will be calling to see if we may want them.
It will sure be interesting to watch this off season.
Reply/Quote
(02-13-2022, 10:48 AM)SuperBowlBound! Wrote: You only get 10 spots on your team for lineman before you start trying to hide draft picks on the practice squad.

Possible 2022 Roster:
• Tre Hopkins (C, G)
• Riley Reiff (RT, G)
• Quinton Spain (LG)
• Jonah Williams (LT)
• Jackson Carmen (RG)
• D'Ante Smith (LT)
• Isiah Prince (RT)

Starting Lineup could be

I highly doubt they shift Jonah Williams at this point.
I think it's more likely they sign a FA to cover one (or both) of the right side spots.

They'll have up to 4 OL spots to replace:
Fred Johnson (highly likely gone)
XSF (highly likely gone)
Riley Reiff (potentially gone)
Quinton Spain (lowest chance of being gone)

As such, I think the OL could break down like this:
  • Williams
  • Hopkins
  • Carman
  • Adeniji
  • Smith
  • Spain
  • Vet OT (Morgan Moses my pref)
  • OT draft pick
  • IOL draft pick
  • Hill/Prince/late draft pick

If Linderbaum somehow fell to the Bengals, I'm snagging him up instantly and putting him at C. Hopkins is cheap enough that he could be kept even with Linderbaum, potentially putting him back at RG like Pollack did with him in 2018. As much as people were frustrated with Hopkins back in 2018 at RG, he was a good pass blocker there.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-13-2022, 12:23 PM)SuperBowlBound! Wrote: Daniel Jeremiah on NFL network's mock draft has Linderbaum dropping to us.
Either Linderbaum or a Tackle will fall to us at 32.

And give me neither of them.  We need to do our damage in free agency when it comes to the line.  We have a 3 year window here and we need proven guys, we can't roll the dice on a rookie at those spots.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 12:35 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: And give me neither of them.  We need to do our damage in free agency when it comes to the line.  We have a 3 year window here and we need proven guys, we can't roll the dice on a rookie at those spots.

The knee jerk reaction after the Super Bowl is get rid of everyone and get Free Agents and that may not be the wrong answer. If it was up to me I would not resign Quinton Spain or Riley Reiff. I don't think Adenji or Trey Hopkins are the long term answers for our line. It appears Jonah Williams needs to move to Right Tackle.

I wish I knew more about Offensive Line play and player development. I think we have to rely/trust Pollack to be able to evaluate the current Offensive lineman we have on roster. Hopefully, he has enough experience to judge how lineman develop during their careers. He may know how big of a leap it is for a 2 year lineman in his 3rd year. I look at it and think that if you cannot win at least 50% of your run blocking assignments I don't know how another year makes you better at that. I will trust their judgement.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 12:35 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: And give me neither of them.  We need to do our damage in free agency when it comes to the line.  We have a 3 year window here and we need proven guys, we can't roll the dice on a rookie at those spots.

Would you be ok with allowing some defensive starter positions to get filled with the draft?
Because that may have to happen if wanting to really solidify the OL in FA.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
This oline has 99 problems and Jonah at LT ain't one.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote

Is Cordy Glenn still available?

WTS, I agree with going hard at FA. Schreff will probably reset the OG market, but I wouldn't be mad. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(02-15-2022, 12:15 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Is Cordy Glenn still available?

WTS, I agree with going hard at FA. Schreff will probably reset the OG market, but I wouldn't be mad. 

I wouldn't be mad if we landed Scherff, but we can get a quality RG and C for what Scherff will get.  After some thought, I am now leaning more towards getting 4 B tier OL than a couple of A tier guys and praying Hopkins rebounds and/or young guys step up.  

The good news is every upcoming FA OL that watched the SB is thinking "No way the Bengals lose that game if they had me in the lineup."
Reply/Quote
(02-13-2022, 12:30 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Don;t trust Reiff, age, end of year injury played ok but short term fix at what $$.. need to go after two FA oline signing and 1st round pick to replace hopkins and reiff and battle for guard position

Agreed on not trusting Reiff.

Expecting a 34-year-old OT who hasn't played a full season since 2015 (6 straight seasons of being hurt) to suddenly stay healthy is a foolish bet.

(02-13-2022, 12:51 PM)SuperBowlBound! Wrote: We just cant afford to sign too many free agents and still keep our free agents like Spain, Uzomah, Ogunjobi and Bates.
I don't think Reiff will cost as much as a top line FA. I think we will keep Tre Hopkins to avoid dead cap space.
We will need to trust Frank Pollack and his opinion of the long term success will be for Trey Hill, Jackson Carmen, Isiah Prince and Hakeem Adenji are. If he feels like they will develop into starting lineman we may save cap space.

So you want at least 4/5ths of the OL to stay the same? Again? After watching Burrow get battered for the second straight year? 

They already did the "trust Frank Pollack" thing for 2021. 4 of the 5 starting OL who were in the game Burrow got his knee destroyed in 2020 continued to be starters for the 2021 playoffs that saw him get pummeled. 

That's insanity. 

(02-15-2022, 01:00 AM)Whatever Wrote: I wouldn't be mad if we landed Scherff, but we can get a quality RG and C for what Scherff will get.  After some thought, I am now leaning more towards getting 4 B tier OL than a couple of A tier guys and praying Hopkins rebounds and/or young guys step up.  

The good news is every upcoming FA OL that watched the SB is thinking "No way the Bengals lose that game if they had me in the lineup."

I would. Dude can't stay healthy. He's missed multiple games each of the last 5 years, and at least 5 games missed in each of the last 4 years. He's only played 43 out of his last 81 games and now he's heading into his age 31 season. He won't get MORE durable in his 30s and all those injuries will add up to shorten careers anyway.

That seems like a poor plan. Reiff wasn't the answer and he was a B guy. XSF was C+. A large pile of mediocrity is still just mediocrity. Go out there and fix the problem with proper talent and go win a Super Bowl. Get me 3 A tier guys and a 1st rounder to go with Jonah, protect Burrow, and lets roll over the NFL for the next couple years.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote