Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2022 WR Class - SPEED
This year's NFL draft WR class can be defined by one word - SPEED!

9 WRs ran a sub-4.40, which breaks the record that was set a few years ago, which was 7 WRs.
Tyquan Thornton ran an official 4.28, the fastest among the WRs.

Some of my guys I've mocked previously are included in the list of sub-4.40:
Calvin Austin III, WR Memphis - 4.32
Velus Jones, WR Tennessee - 4.31
Alec Pierce, WR Cincinnati - 4.33

Christian Watson from NDSU, at 6'4" 208 lbs, ran a 4.36. He's one of the very few WRs to ever get a 10.0 RAS.

Another relative stat is that while this is the fastest group of WRs in Combine history, it's also the smallest.
The average weight of the prospects is 196 lbs.

The TE group, on the other hand, was rather disappointing from an athletic standpoint. Some guys really stood out though. Jelani Woods, Dan Bellinger, and Chigoziem Okonkwo. Okonkwo was the fastest (by far), but Woods was arguably the best when you compare to his size (6'7", 259 lb).
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Certainly worth looking at the class in the later rounds to find a Boyd replacement down the road or a possible Higgins replacement if he decides to move onto a place where he can be the #1 target.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
I was hoping the Bengals would target Wan'Dale Robinson too, but his arm length measured 27". PFF guys said there was only 3 receivers in the league sub 30" arms and 27" was the shortest arm length ever measured at the combine. That's concerning.
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2022, 10:37 AM)Burreaux Wrote: I was hoping the Bengals would target Wan'Dale Robinson too, but his arm length measured 27". PFF guys said there was only 3 receivers in the league sub 30" arms and 27" was the shortest arm length ever measured at the combine. That's concerning.

With some QBs, you need to have WRs with a huge catch radius.  However, Joe Burrow could place the ball right on the hands of a T-Rex in a meteor shower.  Ninja

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2022, 10:37 AM)Burreaux Wrote: I was hoping the Bengals would target Wan'Dale Robinson too, but his arm length measured 27". PFF guys said there was only 3 receivers in the league sub 30" arms and 27" was the shortest arm length ever measured at the combine. That's concerning.

I'm not as concerned about Robinson, personally.
Robinson is going to play exclusively in the slot, and his skill set was never going to be about high pointing the ball.
His game is going to be short-to-intermediate routes and then get YAC.
He'll also take some snaps rushing and also in the flat for sure.

With any player that has physical limitations, it's about finding ways to get them the ball. But if you're expecting a tall, big slot receiver or outside receiver who's going to out-jump or box out defenders, you went after the wrong player.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Kevin Austin out of Notre Dame had one of the best testing days. He might have only ran a 4.43 but he had a 39 inch vert 11' broad 4.15 short shuttle (2nd) and was the top performer in the 3 cone with a 6.71. He measures as explosive and quick.

Apparently he hasn't played much college football but did this year and got better and better as the year went on.. late 6th or early 7th as a developmental receiver/special teams.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(03-04-2022, 11:02 AM)Synric Wrote: Kevin Austin out of Notre Dame had one of the best testing days. He might have only ran a 4.43 but he had a 39 inch vert 11' broad 4.15 short shuttle (2nd) and was the top performer in the 3 cone with a 6.71. He measures as explosive and quick.

Apparently he hasn't played much college football but did this year and got better and better as the year went on.. late 6th or early 7th as a developmental receiver/special teams.

I thought Alec Pierce did real well too.
Along with the 4.33, he had a 4.28 shuttle, 40.5" vert, and 10'9" broad.
All of that at 6'3", 211 lb.
I think he could jump into Rd 2 now given he also has solid tape.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-04-2022, 10:53 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I'm not as concerned about Robinson, personally.
Robinson is going to play exclusively in the slot, and his skill set was never going to be about high pointing the ball.
His game is going to be short-to-intermediate routes and then get YAC.
He'll also take some snaps rushing and also in the flat for sure.

With any player that has physical limitations, it's about finding ways to get them the ball. But if you're expecting a tall, big slot receiver or outside receiver who's going to out-jump or box out defenders, you went after the wrong player.

I understand what you’re saying. I had some of the same thoughts and tried to tell myself that Wan’Dale would be able to separate enough that it wouldn’t matter. He’s so dynamic and seems to catch everything thrown his way, but it’s still concerning. He’s not always going to get separation. Go watch some film on Skyy Moore. He would be nasty in the slot.
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2022, 11:15 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I thought Alec Pierce did real well too.
Along with the 4.33, he had a 4.28 shuttle, 40.5" vert, and 10'9" broad.
All of that at 6'3", 211 lb.
I think he could jump into Rd 2 now given he also has solid tape.

Pierce's 4.33 holding even after they adjusted a bunch of other times was one of my biggest surprises. He didn't seem to play that fast when I watched UC but he was impressive nonetheless. 
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2022, 11:57 AM)Au165 Wrote: Pierce's 4.33 holding even after they adjusted a bunch of other times was one of my biggest surprises. He didn't seem to play that fast when I watched UC but he was impressive nonetheless. 

I knew he was athletic, but I never thought he was that fast either.
Maybe it's just the way he moves on the field that makes it seem he doesn't.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-04-2022, 11:54 AM)Burreaux Wrote: I understand what you’re saying. I had some of the same thoughts and tried to tell myself that Wan’Dale would be able to separate enough that it wouldn’t matter. He’s so dynamic and seems to catch everything thrown his way, but it’s still concerning. He’s not always going to get separation. Go watch some film on Skyy Moore. He would be nasty in the slot.

I've watched Skyy Moore already.
I personally think Robinson could be better though.
Maybe it's Power 5 bias, but Robinson put up 1445 yards from scrimmage on 111 touches in the strongest conference in NCAA.
About the only thing I think that could result in Moore being better than Robinson in the NFL is size.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-04-2022, 10:47 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: With some QBs, you need to have WRs with a huge catch radius.  However, Joe Burrow could place the ball right on the hands of a T-Rex in a meteor shower.  Ninja

I heard his accuracy is so good he can circumcise a fly from 40 yards with the football. While it’s in flight.
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2022, 11:57 AM)Au165 Wrote: Pierce's 4.33 holding even after they adjusted a bunch of other times was one of my biggest surprises. He didn't seem to play that fast when I watched UC but he was impressive nonetheless. 

I appreciate you sharing this because I was also surprised with his time after seeing him play with UC. He was already identified as a player with good to increasing draft stock and his time probably only helped his draft status.
Reply/Quote
So maybe draft a receiver in the mid rounds? Would be pretty interesting if they drafted receiver in 3 straight drafts then get Araiza in the 5th or 6th to replace Huber if he wants to retire.
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2022, 01:30 PM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: So maybe draft a receiver in the mid rounds? Would be pretty interesting if they drafted receiver in 3 straight drafts then get Araiza in the 5th or 6th to replace Huber if he wants to retire.

It would be a good idea to draft two given how barren the depth chart looks.  We need a WR4 to groom to replace Boyd or Higgins in a couple of years and a late round developmental guy.  
Reply/Quote
Most people seem to ignore it, but WR is a fairly decent need for us. After Chase, Higgins and Boyd we have nothing,
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2022, 02:04 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Most people seem to ignore it, but WR is a fairly decent need for us. After Chase, Higgins and Boyd we have nothing,

Correct, it is likely we take one on day 3. They will most likely keep standby Morgan as an RFA I am guessing but I doubt they bring back Tate or any other FA WRs.
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2022, 02:19 PM)Au165 Wrote: Correct, it is likely we take one on day 3. They will most likely keep standby Morgan as an RFA I am guessing but I doubt they bring back Tate or any other FA WRs.

They need a guy that can develop as an inside/outside receiver... and run blocking is very important in the wide zone for a receiver. 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
We now have the reported official times. Updating the OP to reflect.
Note that only 9 WRs under 4.40 official, but that's still the Combine record.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-04-2022, 12:20 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I knew he was athletic, but I never thought he was that fast either.
Maybe it's just the way he moves on the field that makes it seem he doesn't.

Maybe it's because of Ridder's arm strength too.
Reply/Quote