Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
2023 Bengals Team Captains
The only change from last year is obviously removing the departed Vonn Bell and changing out Mke Thomas for Mike Hilton. Hilton is the person I would have chosen, from the outside looking in. Glad to see the outside view equals the inside view

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
No ST-specific guy is odd.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2023, 04:52 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: No ST-specific guy is odd.

I do like the list of guys. Only guy I could see not being a captain is Mixon and I kind of feel bad saying that. I wonder with Morgan and Thomas on the PS who will be our main PS guys.
Reply/Quote
Great choice making Hilton a captain. On side note, do we still have an open spot on our practice squad? If so, why?

Are we negotiating with a vet to put on our 53 after week 1? Vets are not guaranteed the entire year unless they are on the roster game 1. It just seems weird to me we have not filled that last spot.

I may way off base, but I could see us after week 1 sign a vet on the 53 and then place the guy on the 53 on the practice squad.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
I thought Mike Thomas gave Tycen Anderson his captain's jersey. I would have liked to see him get a C.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(09-04-2023, 05:46 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I thought Mike Thomas gave Tycen Anderson his captain's jersey. I would have liked to see him get a C.

Anderson earned Mike's spot as the kicker's personal protector...he hasn't earned the C yet. 

Reply/Quote
Jay Morrison talks about the captains and how in 2022, 2 were replaced.  The article includes an interesting quote by Tyler Boyd

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/bengals-name-captains-2023-nfl/

Quote:There is recent precedence for players to have their captainship removed. Tyler Boyd was a captain in 2021 but not last year, when he was replaced by Karras, something the receiver admitted didn’t sit well with him.

“This year it doesn’t bother me as much as it did last year because I went from captain and then wasn’t one,” Boyd said.
“Now this year, I don’t worry about it because I don’t know if this is where I’m gonna be next year. I ain’t trippin’ about it. Last year it did bug me. But at the end of the day, I know my value to the team, and I’m still gonna be out there leading guys. Just because I’m not labeled that don’t mean I can’t be that.”

Jessie Bates who was replaced in 2022 because of his hold out has been selected as a captain by the Falcons

Reply/Quote
That Boyd quote sounds like he knows he’s gone

If you are even entertaining taking a team friendly deal you don’t talk like that

Good for Hilton tho.

I personally don’t feel right with Wilson not being captains but i do really really like rewarding Hilton. Apparently he’s gone above and beyond with helping the young DBs
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2023, 04:42 PM)pally Wrote: The only change from last year is obviously removing the departed Vonn Bell and changing out Mke Thomas for Mike Hilton.  Hilton is the person I would have chosen, from the outside looking in.  Glad to see the outside view equals the inside view

C’mon Pally, everyone knows you are the only true insider on the board.
Wink
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2023, 07:27 PM)Housh Wrote: That Boyd quote sounds like he knows he’s gone

If you are even entertaining taking a team friendly deal you don’t talk like that

Good for Hilton tho.

I personally don’t feel right with Wilson not being captains but i do really really like rewarding Hilton. Apparently he’s gone above and beyond with helping the young DBs

For whatever reason we don't use Boyd to his full abilities. I guess it's understandable with Chase and Higgins. So Boyd is probably an after thought contract wise so he may get too good a deal to pass up compared to what we may be offering. He'll also be 29 this year. Surprising that the captain thing bothered him. But I think that shows his true character a respectable dude.
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2023, 07:53 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: For whatever reason we don't use Boyd to his full abilities. I guess it's understandable with Chase and Higgins. So Boyd is probably an after thought contract wise so he may get too good a deal to pass up compared to what we may be offering. He'll also be 29 this year. Surprising that the captain thing bothered him. But I think that shows his true character a respectable dude.

I don’t think it’s this

He sees alot of double coverage and i think the average fan wouldn’t guess that to be true. The guys talk all the time about how defenses double cover 2 of them all the time and the guy left in one on one coverage is random.

I think that stretch where Burrow was struggling against the cover 2 was because teams shaded Tee and Chase overtop and then bracketed Boyd on the inside. We had no run game at all and that is the only way you can do that consistently against Burrow

Burrow progressed and figured out he just has to take those 4-5 yard passes all game and then we started rolling again. Then the sacks takes targets away from all WRs
-Housh
Reply/Quote
I can't believe I wasn't named a Captain. AGAIN! I'm getting kind of tired of it. Need to send them an angry, ranting email about it.Pissed
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2023, 04:52 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: No ST-specific guy is odd.

Definitely caught me off guard. I can't remember the last time we didn't have a ST captain. 
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
I know they’re on Mixon and he’s a top notch team guy but it was a mild surprise to me. Good list though.
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2023, 06:54 AM)wanga Wrote: I know they’re on Mixon and he’s a top notch team guy but it was a mild surprise to me. Good list though.

He's been a captain for 3 years now.  His teammates love him. While the late-season incidents made news, he was found not guilty in the road incident and he wasn't home at the time of the shooting

Reply/Quote
(09-04-2023, 05:46 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I thought Mike Thomas gave Tycen Anderson his captain's jersey. I would have liked to see him get a C.

He hasn't played an NFL snap yet.....
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2023, 08:08 AM)pally Wrote: He's been a captain for 3 years now.  His teammates love him. While the late-season incidents made news, he was found not guilty in the road incident and he wasn't home at the time of the shooting

Indeed 
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2023, 07:10 PM)pally Wrote: Jay Morrison talks about the captains and how in 2022, 2 were replaced.  The article includes an interesting quote by Tyler Boyd

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/bengals-name-captains-2023-nfl/

Jessie Bates who was replaced in 2022 because of his hold out has been selected as a captain by the Falcons

Boyd makes it sound like he was replaced by coaches or management. The players vote for the Captains they want. They are the ones who know who deserves it. Truth be told, there are many players on this roster who deserve it, and for there to be changes each year only makes sense.
Reply/Quote
There should be no player captains, the coaches are the captains. The QB if anyone, is the default "captain" of the team, at least in offense. Labels need to be gone.
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2023, 01:01 PM)Bengalitis Wrote: There should be no player captains, the coaches are the captains. The QB if anyone, is the default "captain" of the team, at least in offense. Labels need to be gone.

Tell me you don't understand the concept without telling me you don't understand the concept...
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote