Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2023 Draft Class looking good after rookie season
According to Chad Reuter of NFL.com this class earns a B+ grade after their first season. The article seems to echo the same sentiments that many of us have expressed on here, regarding last year's rookie class.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/bengals-draft-class-earns-high-grade-after-debut-season/ar-BB1ilNJH?ocid=msedgntp&pc=U531&cvid=da9479ba27374650959c0d03f72ef7c3&ei=25

Quote:After its debut season led by first-rounder Myles Murphy, the Cincinnati Bengals draft class returns pretty rave reviews.

It was far from perfect, but looking at the draft class over the long term, it looks like Duke Tobin and Co. might have a hit.

That's the consensus from NFL.com's Chad Reuter, who gives the draft class a "B+" grade after the season and especially liked the Day 2 showings:

On the other hand, the Bengals needed both Day 2 picks to step into big roles right away, thanks to veteran departures in the secondary last offseason. Battle was thrown into the fire in the second half of the year and acquitted himself nicely, making plays against the run and pass. Turner's athleticism was obvious, and he did not shy from contact, but the rookie gave up three touchdowns in the final four games and missed several tackles through the season, according to Pro Football Focus. He'll need to clean things up in Year 2 to be an above-average NFL starter.

That's a good summary -- DJ Turner and Jordan Battle had their obvious mistakes, but both appear to be starters for the secondary from here.

Same story with Murphy, who didn't break into the rotation in a notable way until late in the season, yet showed some serious signs he can be an every-down contributor.

Wideouts Charlie Jones and Andrei Iosivas, as well as running back Chase Brown, also suggested in small sample sizes that they could have bigger roles as soon as next year.

Meaning, if things keep trending this way, the draft grade could actually improve in future years, which would be nothing but a good thing for a team that wants to keep its contention window open as long as possible.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Yeah, if Turner ended how he started, the draft would have been seen as much better than it currently is viewed.

Everyone else either improved as the year went on or contributed the same from Day 1 and weren't a liability.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2024, 10:30 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Yeah, if Turner ended how he started, the draft would have been seen as much better than it currently is viewed.

Everyone else either improved as the year went on or contributed the same from Day 1 and weren't a liability.
**Brad Robbins laughs maniacally, twisting his Monopoly Guy Mustache while sitting on the Ruler of the Jungle Throne and petting a bald cat**
Reply/Quote
Naw, I read right here that Miles Murphy is a bum..... Ninja
Reply/Quote
Robbins sucked. Everyone else was at least fine or good. Battle was great.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2024, 12:35 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Robbins sucked. Everyone else was at least fine or good. Battle was great.

Turner was pretty bad.

Reply/Quote
(02-16-2024, 12:43 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Turner was pretty bad.

This was Turner's and Hill's first real playing time in the league.
I would expect them to get better, but I will admit I was somewhat disappointed they didn't continue their early-season momentum, as both were playing well the first half of the year.

Did we overhype the Michigan secondary from the past few years?
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-16-2024, 12:43 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Turner was pretty bad.

Turner played ok for a rookie second round pick at a difficult position.

It's wild to me that some folks are down on Turner, but people were raving about CTB last year.  Their PFF grades and Passer Rating Allowed When Targeted were not that much different when we compare rookie years, and Turner did not have the security of a stable, veteran S pair behind him.  
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2024, 10:10 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: According to Chad Reuter of NFL.com this class earns a B+ grade after their first season. The article seems to echo the same sentiments that many of us have expressed on here, regarding last year's rookie class.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/bengals-draft-class-earns-high-grade-after-debut-season/ar-BB1ilNJH?ocid=msedgntp&pc=U531&cvid=da9479ba27374650959c0d03f72ef7c3&ei=25

Yes, it was a good Draft class alright besides Robbins who is a pretty bad Punter. Murphy started showing his athleticism and even some 
moves late in the season and got a lot of pressures for a rookie not getting a lot of snaps. Turner plays hard and has to adjust to how WR's
play him and learns to be more instinctive in his 2nd year. Battle was a stud late, he is a great tackler and has good instincts and is smart.

Chuck Sizzle didn't get a lot of opportunities but he had a nice Punt Return for a TD against the Ravens and had a big play against the
Chiefs if I remember right. Iosivas could be good if he learns to hold onto the ball through contact better, good size, speed combination.

Chase Brown shown some blazing speed and he can get up to speed fast which helps the OL not have to hold their blocks very long. Love
me some Chase Brown who is also a good pass catching RB out of the backfield. I like DJ Ivey too who I didn't initially like as the last pick
of the Draft with some TE's still available but Poison Ivey shown some good things.
Reply/Quote
Turner hit the rookie wall as the season went on IMO. That being said, Id love for this team to sign a quality vet CB in free agency. Bring Chido back on a friendly deal.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
We need a star outta this next draft

Not a guy that takes 3 years to get up to speed. We need most likely a defensive interior lineman to come right out and make plays

That’s the one thing separating us from the Chiefs. They got Pacheco and McDuffie coming right in balling out. We had CTB but he’s just not there yet even if he finished healthy. Still gets beat on plays he should stop.

We could really use a good linebacker too who can persuade us to get back into more 4-3 looks instead of 4-2. I love Pratt and Wilson but they aren’t enough to sustain our defense
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2024, 08:23 PM)Housh Wrote: We need a star outta this next draft

Not a guy that takes 3 years to get up to speed. We need most likely a defensive interior lineman to come right out and make plays

That’s the one thing separating us from the Chiefs. They got Pacheco and McDuffie coming right in balling out. We had CTB but he’s just not there yet even if he finished healthy. Still gets beat on plays he should stop.

We could really use a good linebacker too who can persuade us to get back into more 4-3 looks instead of 4-2. I love Pratt and Wilson but they aren’t enough to sustain our defense

Out of last year's draft they got two first year starters and 3 other guys that look ready to take a big step forward.  That is by and large a good draft.  As for going back to 3 LBs as the base set, I wouldn't bet my house on it.  Even run first teams like the Ravens and Browns have enough weapons to recognize a 7 man box.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2024, 01:41 PM)Whatever Wrote: Turner played ok for a rookie second round pick at a difficult position.

It's wild to me that some folks are down on Turner, but people were raving about CTB last year.  Their PFF grades and Passer Rating Allowed When Targeted were not that much different when we compare rookie years, and Turner did not have the security of a stable, veteran S pair behind him.  

Maybe it’s just an eye test thing, but CTB looked better his first season to me. And he seemed to improve as the season went on. He was one of our highest graded players in the Buffalo playoff game for example

Whereas Turner was the opposite. Teams definitely started picking on him later in the season.. Anyway, I felt much better about penciling CTB in as a starter the next season than I currently do about Turner.

Reply/Quote
(02-16-2024, 09:38 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Maybe it’s just an eye test thing, but CTB looked better his first season to me. And he seemed to improve as the season went on. He was one of our highest graded players in the Buffalo playoff game for example

Whereas Turner was the opposite. Teams definitely started picking on him later in the season.. Anyway, I felt much better about penciling CTB in as a starter the next season than I currently do about Turner.

CTB had the benefit of coming into a team with one of the best Safety duos in the league, it wasn't just by chance that he got off to a good start to his career.  Then, after losing both of said best Safety duo members, CTB was left to be the leader of the crew as a second year player.  So, it was only natural that there were miscommunications  in the secondary.  I remember reading that CTB is the one who called for the secondary to meet this offseason to go over film and work on communication.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2024, 09:52 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: CTB had the benefit of coming into a team with one of the best Safety duos in the league, it wasn't just by chance that he got off to a good start to his career.  Then, after losing both of said best Safety duo members, CTB was left to be the leader of the crew as a second year player.  So, it was only natural that there were miscommunications  in the secondary.  I remember reading that CTB is the one who called for the secondary to meet this offseason to go over film and work on communication.

The circumstances were obviously different for CTB and Turner in their rookie seasons. It’s still kind of scary to basically just have to “hope” he improves in his 2nd year. I’d feel much better if he had shown a little more down the stretch.

Reply/Quote
(02-16-2024, 10:10 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: According to Chad Reuter of NFL.com this class earns a B+ grade after their first season. The article seems to echo the same sentiments that many of us have expressed on here, regarding last year's rookie class.

I think that B+ is generous. I’d feel better if Chase Brown was a likely starter but he’s not. I’d be pleased if Charlie Jones allowed us to move on from Tyler Boyd …. that’s not likely. I’d be pleased if Myles Murphy forged a 3 man rotation at DE. Not likely. I’d be more pleased if DJ Turner was ready to start at the other corner. I think top to bottom is the strength. No misses. But Pro Bowlers? Not convinced there. Most will start so that’s a good thing.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(02-16-2024, 10:22 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: I think that B+ is generous. I’d feel better if Chase Brown was a likely starter but he’s not. I’d be pleased if Charlie Jones allowed us to move on from Tyler Boyd …. that’s not likely. I’d be pleased if Myles Murphy forged a 3 man rotation at DE. Not likely. I’d be more pleased if DJ Turner was ready to start at the other corner. I think top to bottom is the strength. No misses. But Pro Bowlers? Not convinced there. Most will start so that’s a good thing.

Agreed. I said it the day the draft was over, on this board. It was an okay draft. A bunch of serviceable guys who will play but not a single stud or pro bowler type of player.

I remember reading you need like 7 pro bowlers to win a SB. We have chase, Burrow, Hendrickson. We need 4 more studs. Battle, Murphy, Tuner, Jones ain’t it. We need to get 1 stud in the draft (extremely hard) and 2 in FA.

Don’t give Tee the money, give it to one of the FA DT who could be available, and get an edge or CB in fa. Draft RT round 1. Sign a cheaper wr, sing a TE. Team improved.
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2024, 12:04 PM)Ell Prez Wrote: Agreed. I said it the day the draft was over, on this board. It was an okay draft. A bunch of serviceable guys who will play but not a single stud or pro bowler type of player.

I remember reading you need like 7 pro bowlers to win a SB. We have chase, Burrow, Hendrickson. We need 4 more studs. Battle, Murphy, Tuner, Jones ain’t it. We need to get 1 stud in the draft (extremely hard) and 2 in FA.

Don’t give Tee the money, give it to one of the FA DT who could be available, and get an edge or CB in fa. Draft RT round 1. Sign a cheaper wr, sing a TE. Team improved.

SF has Bosa, Trent Williams, McCaffery, Kittle, Samuel, and Fred Warner. They had 9 pro bowlers. They have the best roster in the NFL but not a top QB. KC has Mahomes, Kelce, Chris Jones, Creed Humphrey, Snead, and Trey Smith. I’d say we need more than Joe, Trey, Chase, & Tee. Although the defense struggled our problem is will and always is our poor OL. Who knows the real crux of the issues…. talent, development, scheme, or Pollack. But it’s our nemesis of winning a SB. We beat the Bills & SF easily. SF had their full defense healthy and we scored 31. Our OL issues are more than Pollack. It’s a great way to build a team with low priced starters while spending money on QB, Edge, LT, & WR. We are poor there. We’ve just been piss poor in OL drafts
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
I look at it as a class that has the potential to have several solid contributors. Perhaps no true stars but guys that are above average. If you get a class with say 5 solid contributors that's a grand slam. Typically, there's perhaps 2 maybe 3?

Where we've basically been missing the boat these last several years is the 1st round supposed to be studs.
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2024, 01:47 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I look at it as a class that has the potential to have several solid contributors. Perhaps no true stars but guys that are above average. If you get a class with say 5 solid contributors that's a grand slam. Typically, there's perhaps 2 maybe 3?

Where we've basically been missing the boat these last several years is the 1st round supposed to be studs.

I still think Murphy and even DJ Turner can be tops soon with their talent. Murphy was just extremely raw and needed to develop some
moves and learn to use his hands better to shed blocks, but he is extremely talented, great quicks, strength and is smart. DJ Turner had a 
rough year as a rookie but a lot of Corners do in the NFL, Turner has elite speed and fluid hips, the things you just cannot teach at Corner.
Reply/Quote