Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2023 Mock Two
I was looking through some other mocks that users have posted. Mine is sort of the opposite of *Synric*'s mock (quoted below for reference) which is heavily skill player oriented. That mock may be more accurate to what the Bengals actually do and it also might be a better mock in general. My biases are built into my mock. I prioritized the lines (offensive and defensive) and the corner position. I have said for years I would like the team to keep 7 corners and maybe 26 or 27 on defense total.

So yeah, what might jump out at you is there are no TE picks. There are no RB picks. There isn't even a WR or backup QB. With this mock you would definitely need to pick up some UDFAs after the draft. In fact I'd do that over re-signing Sample or keeping Joe Mixon even with a restructure. That said, this is how I would build the team for present and future success including winning the Super-bowl.

28 Dawand Jones OT Ohio State
60 Tyrique Stevenson CB  Miami (FL)
92 Luke Wypler IOL Ohio State
131 Zacch Pickens DL South Carolina
163 Wanya Morris OT Oklahoma
206 Habakkuk Baldonado EDGE Pittsburgh
246 Carrington Valentine CB Kentucky

One could argue that Dawand Jones is a reach. It isn't crazy to call him third round talent (and he has been mocked there before) but here's the thing: OT is one of those positions that there is demand for and so you are going to have to overpay in terms of draft picks to get one who is even half-way decent. Even if the idea this year is to have Jonah play RT until LC is healthy...this just doesn't feel like a long term plan.

I will add that TEs and RBs in general are undervalued and can be found after the draft is over. I actually prefer blocking TEs and they tend to be more available later on as well. People talk about wanting to be explosive at those positions but to me that is a luxury. Keep Burrow upright and healthy. Have a good defense. The rest is flexible.

By contrast, here are the first four picks *Synric*'s draft: 

(03-24-2023, 06:33 PM)Synric Wrote: 28) Cincinnati Bengals - Jahmyr Gibbs RB, Alabama
60) Luke Musgrave TE, Oregon State - With only two Tight Ends in the First Round I predict a slide for the athletic but in-experienced TE.
92) Tyler Scott WR, Cincinnati - Bengals continue to add speed to their offense. Scott will effect the spacing of defenses and give them another player they can get to ball in space.
*117) Sean Tucker RB, Syracuse - Tucker is a compact explosive running back. He is an instinctual runner but doesn't have much work as a receiver or blocker.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Lol it's funny because if you go with Orlando Brown Jr and Dawand Jones as your bookend tackles you are going to want the YAC guys in my mock draft because those aren't mirror tackles.

I could definitely be talked into a more even split of the two drafts. Mine was mostly to point out different YAC guys in different rounds of the draft class.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote