Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
***2023 NFL Draft Thread***
(04-28-2023, 10:03 AM)OSUfan Wrote: Why are people focused only on the sack production of Myles Murphy? A DE has far more roles than creating sacks and Murphy is a player that has the traits to excel in all of them.

* The athleticism, strength, and speed to become an outstanding NFL pass rusher.
* The athleticism and strength to stop the run.
* The ability to set the edge for the defense.
* Displays excellent awareness of offensive schemes and does not over pursue allowing rushing lanes.
* Displays the ability to diagnose the offense as the play is unfolding.

This kid is not a one trick pony and fans should be ecstatic to add a player of this caliber to the defensive line. I have seen some comment that we needed pass rush from the interior of the D line so I would have to ask which player the would have selected to fill this perceived need with the 28th selection.

Fans that have legit complaint could be those of Detroit who took Gibbs with the 12th selection. I was a fan of the Gibbs selection but that was at 28 not at 12. How about the Jets taking McDonald at 15? Tampa taking Kancey at 19 is a bit high if you ask me as well. The Bengals did a great job staying true to their board and taking the BPA regardless of position.

FWIW: one comparison I read was Murphy to Bradley Chubb
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2023, 10:03 AM)OSUfan Wrote: Why are people focused only on the sack production of Myles Murphy? A DE has far more roles than creating sacks and Murphy is a player that has the traits to excel in all of them.

* The athleticism, strength, and speed to become an outstanding NFL pass rusher.
* Displays excellent awareness of offensive schemes and does not over pursue allowing rushing lanes.

This kid is not a one trick pony and fans should be ecstatic to add a player of this caliber to the defensive line. I have seen some comment that we needed pass rush from the interior of the D line so I would have to ask which player the would have selected to fill this perceived need with the 28th selection.

Fans that have legit complaint could be those of Detroit who took Gibbs with the 12th selection. I was a fan of the Gibbs selection but that was at 28 not at 12. How about the Jets taking McDonald at 15? Tampa taking Kancey at 19 is a bit high if you ask me as well. The Bengals did a great job staying true to their board and taking the BPA regardless of position.

To be fair, I believe his pressure rating and advanced pressure stats weren't the greatest either. Goodberry had the data on it. 

I do like the pick, though. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote

It's almost like the bengals lost the afc championship in large part due to lack of pass rush. A player who only produced 18 sacks in 3 years next to another 1st round.

Now he has all the tools to develop into a good pass rusher, and that's what bengals are banking on. It's reasonable for people to not be excited about drafting essentially Sam Hubbard in the 1st. Now there weren't many options where there were potentially better value. 

I personally didn't want a TE in the 1st, but it's understandable some people aren't high on the pick. Hope he surpasses all expectations and becomes myles garret 2.0 but his college production just isn't great for all the tools he has. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
In other breaking Draft news.... Will Levis' girlfriend has entered the Transfer Portal.... Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2023, 11:10 AM)MasonDT70 Wrote: It's almost like the bengals lost the afc championship in large part due to lack of pass rush. A player who only produced 18 sacks in 3 years next to another 1st round.

Now he has all the tools to develop into a good pass rusher, and that's what bengals are banking on. It's reasonable for people to not be excited about drafting essentially Sam Hubbard in the 1st. Now there weren't many options where there were potentially better value. 

I personally didn't want a TE in the 1st, but it's understandable some people aren't high on the pick. Hope he surpasses all expectations and becomes myles garret 2.0 but his college production just isn't great for all the tools he has. 

At 28 we aren’t going to get a guy with elite production since they were drafted 15 picks earlier. The fact the Bengals immediately sent their pick to the NFL and didn’t wait for trade offers shows they were excited to get him.
Reply/Quote
Murphy is like the Darnell Washington of Ends in this Draft. Crazy upside without crazy production, Venables leaving Clemson
could be a part of the reason he wasn't as productive as you would of thought he would of been. I think Murphy starts being
very productive with us and adds that other threat as a pass rusher besides Ossai and for the future.

Didn't expect Murphy to be around so obviously thrilled with the pick.
Reply/Quote
So are we now set on the D-line?

Sample, Hubbard, Hendrickson, Ossai, Murphy as the rotational pass rushers

Hill, Reader, Carter, Tufele, Tupou as the more traditional inside guys/run stoppers
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2023, 10:54 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I think the top 5 will be gone before we get our 2nd round pick in. As I said, it will be Smith, Sample (who everyone seemingly hates), Asiasi and whatever rookie. Smith is injury prone. I think re-signing Wilcox would be a smart move simply due to experience. That said, I was not pounding the table for TE, I really thought we would go DT until Mayer was there, and I thought they would snag him. It wasn't the player we drafted that threw me, it was the position. That said, they know what they need more than I do. I'm on board with the pick. That said, they need to get BJ some relief, he's playing too many snaps. Hopefully Carter comes on this year.

Looking at this with some perspective:

* 28 selections prior to the Bengals pick. 
* Steelers hold 2 of them selections and are unlikely to select a TE at either spot so 26 selections.
* Detroit holds 3 of those selections and are unlikely taking more than 1 TE with any of those 3. So 24 selections.
* Packers hold 2 of those selections and are not likely to take 2 TEs so 23 selections.
* Of these 23 selections there are 12 teams that given the odds may possibly select a TE.
* Your projection of 5 TEs being taken would mean that over 41% of those possible selections are going to be TEs. I do not see that as very likely
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2023, 11:57 AM)Goalpost Wrote: So are we now set on the D-line?

Sample, Hubbard, Hendrickson, Ossai, Murphy as the rotational pass rushers

Hill, Reader, Carter, Tufele, Tupou as the more traditional inside guys/run stoppers

Sure wouldn't mind adding a DT like Keeanu Benton for a future Reader replacement or a 3-tech like Karl Brooks in the 3rd or 4th.

(04-28-2023, 11:57 AM)OSUfan Wrote: Looking at this with some perspective:

* 28 selections prior to the Bengals pick. 
* Steelers hold 2 of them selections and are unlikely to select a TE at either spot so 26 selections.
* Detroit holds 3 of those selections and are unlikely taking more than 1 TE with any of those 3. So 24 selections.
* Packers hold 2 of those selections and are not likely to take 2 TEs so 23 selections.
* Of these 23 selections there are 12 teams that given the odds may possibly select a TE.
* Your projection of 5 TEs being taken would mean that over 41% of those possible selections are going to be TEs. I do not see that as very likely

Yeah, I think one of the top 5 TE's will be there at 60 for sure. Hoping it is Washington.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2023, 11:29 AM)Sled21 Wrote: In other breaking Draft news.... Will Levis' girlfriend has entered the Transfer Portal.... Hilarious

I saw one photo of her at the draft, late in the process, with the caption: "Will Levis’ girlfriend wondering if Lukas Van Ness is single."

Yours was even more humorous. A+ quip.
Reply/Quote
Musgrave and Kraft probably have the highest probability of being at pick 60.

Bengals could continue to shock everyone and go WR with Rashee Rice or Marvin Mims lol.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(04-28-2023, 11:34 AM)bengals1969 Wrote: At 28 we aren’t going to get a guy with elite production since they were drafted 15 picks earlier. The fact the Bengals immediately sent their pick to the NFL and didn’t wait for trade offers shows they were excited to get him.

Yeah and I understand that, just you can't blame people for not being thrilled. Nate put it well, Darnell Washington is a good parallel, very good upside just not realized in college. 
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2023, 11:10 AM)MasonDT70 Wrote: It's almost like the bengals lost the afc championship in large part due to lack of pass rush. A player who only produced 18 sacks in 3 years next to another 1st round.

What is comical is that you intentionally are referencing Hubbard. Why are you not referencing Hendrickson? Hendrickson only had a single season in college where he had double digit sacks and let's face it that was playing for Florida Atlantic in Conference USA. So would would these same people be happy about using the selection on the next Hendrickson? Hubbard was never touted as having nearly the athleticism that Hendrickson and Murphy have so you are making a poor comparison.
Reply/Quote
Can we all at least agree that the Lions absolutely fumbled the bag on their draft, though?

I mean Gibbs at 12 when they could have gotten him with their second first round pick at 18? When they already have a good running back room. I mean, yikes.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2023, 12:04 PM)Synric Wrote: Musgrave and Kraft probably have the highest probability of being at pick 60.

Bengals could continue to shock everyone and go WR with Rashee Rice or Marvin Mims lol.

Musgrave is so intreguing to me. He could end up being the best TE in this draft. I think hes more than worth of our second round pick. 
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2023, 12:09 PM)OSUfan Wrote: What is comical is that you intentionally are referencing Hubbard. Why are you not referencing Hendrickson? Hendrickson only had a single season in college where he had double digit sacks and let's face it that was playing for Florida Atlantic in Conference USA. So would would these same people be happy about using the selection on the next Hendrickson? Hubbard was never touted as having nearly the athleticism that Hendrickson and Murphy have so you are making a poor comparison.

Also with Hendrickson is that I don't think it's coincidence that bengals lose their interior rusher from the year prior and he has a downturn in production. Also Hendrickson like Hubbard was a 3rd round pick. You'd hear nearly zero complaints about picking a super athletic pass rusher in the 3rd who didn't put it entirely together in college. 
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2023, 12:14 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Can we all at least agree that the Lions absolutely fumbled the bag on their draft, though?

I mean Gibbs at 12 when they could have gotten him with their second first round pick at 18? When they already have a good running back room. I mean, yikes.

Yes, like the players, not at the picks they drafted them at. 
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2023, 12:55 AM)cinci4life Wrote: Looks like Pitt gets Porter.

Maybe not. They are taking calls for the 32 pick. Guess it's not surprising with Levis still on the board.

Steelers Fielding Calls On No. 32 Pick (profootballrumors.com)
[Image: hFcJI4.png]
Reply/Quote
Excerpts from Paul Dehner from the Athletic

“This wasn’t a scenario we thought was going to play out for us, to be quite honest with you,” Taylor said. “In all of our discussions we had over the previous days, I didn’t think Myles Murphy was gonna be there at 28.”

The 6-foot-5, 275-pound Murphy gives defensive coordinator Lou Anarumo what he coveted most in this draft: another pass rusher who can use both speed and power to affect the quarterback, and do so from outside on the edge or moving inside and overmatching centers and guards.

The Bengals built a roster that has taken them to one Super Bowl and back-to-back AFC Championship Games by getting offensive talent on rookie deals while shelling out big money in free agency on defense. Now comes the pivot, with Joe Burrow, Tee Higgins and Ja’Marr Chase in line for those massive contracts, creating the need to start acquiring talent on rookie deals at the premium defensive positions.

Despite investing so much money in the defensive line, the Bengals ranked just 29th in sacks last year and were 15th in pressure percentage and 23rd in passing yards allowed per game.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(04-28-2023, 12:15 PM)MasonDT70 Wrote: Also with Hendrickson is that I don't think it's coincidence that bengals lose their interior rusher from the year prior and he has a downturn in production. Also Hendrickson like Hubbard was a 3rd round pick. You'd hear nearly zero complaints about picking a super athletic pass rusher in the 3rd who didn't put it entirely together in college. 

So you are now saying that had you known the output of Hendrickson at the NFL level you would not have found him to be worth the 28th selection? Why did we move to round of selection once it is pointed out that Murphy compares more favorably to Hendrickson than to Hubbard? 
Reply/Quote