Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2023 Training Camp Hero
With 12 grueling days left until the 2023 Bengals training camp begins, who do you feel will be this years training camp darling that seemingly everyone is pulling for to make the team?

I'm not talking about the drafted players that we all expect to make the roster, I'm asking who is that UDFA who you feel could shine bright enough to possibly displace someone for a spot on the 53? For me, I expect that player to be Shaka Heyward.

He's got the physical tools to hang in the NFL, along with that Heyward bloodline and Duke Univ. smarts to make those end of camp cuts a harder decision to make.

There's my pick, who you got, and why?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(07-14-2023, 01:35 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: With 12 grueling days left until the 2023 Bengals training camp begins, who do you feel will be this years training camp darling that seemingly everyone is pulling for to make the team?

I'm not talking about the drafted players that we all expect to make the roster, I'm asking who is that UDFA who you feel could shine bright enough to possibly displace someone for a spot on the 53?  For me, I expect that player to be Shaka Heyward.

He's got the physical tools to hang in the NFL, along with that Heyward bloodline and Duke Univ. smarts to make those end of camp cuts a harder decision to make.

There's my pick, who you got, and why?

I don't even remember his name, but the new Guard we picked up.
Reply/Quote
(07-14-2023, 01:39 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I don't even remember his name, but the new Guard we picked up.

Don’t know if this is your guy but he’s my pick.
https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/news/potential-interior-offensive-line-upgrade-may-already-be-on-bengals-roster
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
I've been hearing good things on this Joe Burrow guy Cool

Seriously, I'll go with Ben Brown as well
Reply/Quote
Jaxon Kirkland the Guard out of Washington on Offense and that DT out of Chattanooga on Defense (forgot his name).

His stats are insane from college, he could be that pass rushing 3-tech we desperately need to push this D over the top.
Reply/Quote
(07-14-2023, 01:56 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Don’t know if this is your guy but he’s my pick.
https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/news/potential-interior-offensive-line-upgrade-may-already-be-on-bengals-roster

Ben Brown was added last year, so unfortunately he doesn't count as a 2023 UDFA.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(07-14-2023, 02:55 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Ben Brown was added last year, so unfortunately he doesn't count as a 2023 UDFA.

I’m sorry the headline was 2023 training camp hero. So I guess I missed the restrictions.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
Kirkland is who I was thinking about....
Reply/Quote
Kirkland is the easy answer (for me at least), but Imma go with Christian Trahan, TE out of Houston.

He did a lot of different spots in college and showed some ability both as a blocker and receiver, so I think he could make noise in camp and preseason with some occasional nice blocks and catches. Heck, with the lack of depth at TE, I'm not even ruling out he may push for TE3 spot if he does well enough.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(07-14-2023, 02:16 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Jaxon Kirkland the Guard out of Washington on Offense and that DT out of Chattanooga on Defense (forgot his name).

His stats are insane from college, he could be that pass rushing 3-tech we desperately need to push this D over the top.

Devonsha Maxwell. I think he'll go to the practice squad if not poached this year. I do not think he can beat out Carter or Tufele for a roster spot. But, he could always surprise me. 
Reply/Quote
(07-14-2023, 03:48 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Kirkland is the easy answer (for me at least), but Imma go with Christian Trahan, TE out of Houston.

He did a lot of different spots in college and showed some ability both as a blocker and receiver, so I think he could make noise in camp and preseason with some occasional nice blocks and catches. Heck, with the lack of depth at TE, I'm not even ruling out he may push for TE3 spot if he does well enough.

I considered choosing him as well, but that 5.2 speed isn't going to do much for him in the passing game.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
The punter we drafted....
Reply/Quote
(07-14-2023, 03:48 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Kirkland is the easy answer (for me at least), but Imma go with Christian Trahan, TE out of Houston.

Good call on Trahan. You are right, with the lack of depth at TE and Irv Smith Jr always having trouble staying healthy Trahan 
could have an opportunity here if he plays well. I have no faith in Drew Sample or Asiasi being the answers at TE at all.

(07-14-2023, 03:54 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Devonsha Maxwell. I think he'll go to the practice squad if not poached this year. I do not think he can beat out Carter or Tufele for a roster spot. But, he could always surprise me. 

Thanks Sled. Yes, Devonsha Maxwell is the name. Expecting Carter to improve a ton this Offseason so you are probably right and 
Maxwell will end up going to the PS. Carter did gain like 20 pounds of muscle this Offseason, either way, having a pass rushing DT 
that can collapse the middle of the pocket might be the thing we need more than anything on Defense.

I consider Tufele more of a run stopper, not a pass rushing 3-tech like Carter and Maxwell are.
Reply/Quote
(07-14-2023, 04:20 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I considered choosing him as well, but that 5.2 speed isn't going to do much for him in the passing game.

I thought you may have been joking but wow, he ran a 5.28. Only 11 reps of 225. A 24 inch vertical jump. That's tough. 
Reply/Quote
(07-14-2023, 02:16 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Jaxon Kirkland the Guard out of Washington on Offense and that DT out of Chattanooga on Defense (forgot his name).

That's the guy I think ? OG Kirkland

Saw a write up on him back around draft time. They were really singing his praises.
Reply/Quote
I'll play the odds and say Jacob Saylor or Shedrick Jackson lol.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(07-14-2023, 05:17 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: I thought you may have been joking but wow, he ran a 5.28. Only 11 reps of 225. A 24 inch vertical jump. That's tough. 

That will make a guy go undrafted.

But as we all know, the numbers are only part of the equation, if Trahan is good on the field that is all that matters.

I remember watching a few Houston games and him standing out in a good way.

(07-14-2023, 05:30 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: That's the guy I think ? OG Kirkland

Saw a write up on him back around draft time. They were really singing his praises.

Yeah, Kirkland not being Drafted was a major surprise to me. He was really good every time I watched the Huskies, there was 
Kirkland making a great block in the run game and holding up in pass protection. He looked like the best OL on Washington IMO.

No surprise they were singing his praises to me, guy is big, has good feet, good hands and can move.

(07-14-2023, 05:50 PM)Synric Wrote: I'll play the odds and say Jacob Saylor or Shedrick Jackson lol.

Shedrick Jackson sure can move. Crazy fast. Definitely could be the TC hero. Best bloodline of the bunch.
Reply/Quote
(07-14-2023, 01:35 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I'm not talking about the drafted players that we all expect to make the roster, I'm asking who is that UDFA who you feel could shine bright enough to possibly displace someone for a spot on the 53?  

(07-14-2023, 04:41 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: The punter we drafted....

uuuhhmmm....
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote

Man I hope you're right about both these dudes - especially Maxwell.   We need a dominant 3 technique, and I want Carter or Maxwell to step into that role at a dominant level.  That would truly be the missing element of this defense to propel us into the top five defenses.

Would love both interior men to pan out
Reply/Quote
(07-14-2023, 04:41 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: The punter we drafted....

The OP says which UDFA, not drafted player.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote