0 0%
OTHER
3.23%
3 3.23%
Total 93 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2024 1st Round Draft Pick (Board Selection)
A few of the message board draftniks have done a mock 1st RD draft up to pick 18:
http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-Round-1-Board-Picks

For pick 18 I'm asking the MB to list their favorite for those who remain. A couple of MB members have provided a write up on their favs and I've taken some others from National pundits.

We're going to do this is 2 phases (much like a “war room”). We're going to whittle a Top 10 down to four and then vote again.

So in this thread vote for your top 3 (poll allows multiple votes). If you vote “OTHER” gimme a name. 

TRADE BACK IS NOT AVAILABLE 

BYRON MURPHY/ DT/UT (submitted by Nate)
[Image: usatsi_21933115.jpg]

A run stopper that can also rush the passer and can be elite at both. This is Byron Murphy, he can play NT which he did more than Sweat at Texas regardless of his playing weight it was his assignment for most of the time and he was a better run stopper than Sweat and a much better penetrator as a pass rusher.

Byron Murphy kills 2 birds with 1 stone.

N.FL.COM PAGE: https://www.nfl.com/prospects/byron-murphy-ii/32004d55-5252-6628-1a87-66e20cb9aefc

AMARIUS MIMS/OT/UG (submitted by Okeana)
[Image: EGF6WQPBI2Z2CSQACBSI4NHCWI.JPG]
Mims is one of the few prospects we have brought in for visit after talking with him. He has the physical traits to be a dominant tackle in the NFL. He carries his weight very well and is a knee bender, not a waist bender. When he played against dominant college competition like Ohio State, he won his reps against a guy who gave Olu and Alt lots of issues. While he only started 8 games, he played more than that and his tape is really good.

Some will say they are scared of hamstring issues after having tightrope surgery, but  Mims doesn't have to be rushed into year 1 play. I think he's very diverse and well balanced; he can play at RT or LT. He could move in to LG if needed giving that diversity in play.

NFL.COM PAGE:https://www.nfl.com/prospects/amarius-mims/32004d49-4d57-4524-e183-7486e766def2

GRAHAM BARTON/OL/DUKE (submitted by bfine)
[Image: 716x384.jpg]

If I told you the Bengals could draft a young Zack Martin at pick 19 in the 2024 NFL Draft; what would you say? Much like Zack, GB played the majority of his NFL career at LT and did well. Lack of length caused Zack to move inside and looks to do the same for GB. I see Martin as GB's ceiling and Joe Thuney as his floor.

Does GB has the sizzle that many of the sexy monsters have? No. Can the guys play all five positions along the Oline? Yes. Just like Zack Martin, GB is a strong, athletic, intelligent olineman. 2 words I never want to hear together are Pollack and raw. GB's been doing this since 4th grade

NFL.COM PAGE: https://www.nfl.com/prospects/graham-barton/32004241-5276-8688-5a6e-aadc714bdd3c

BRIAN THOMAS JR/WR/LSU (submitted by BR Scouting Staff)
[Image: brian-thomas-jr.jpg]

Brian Thomas Jr. is a juiced-up 6'4" receiver with serious potential as a vertical threat and a yards-after-the-catch weapon.
Thomas' athletic ability shows up as soon as the ball is snapped. He explodes off the line of scrimmage, rarely stuttering his feet and wasting time. Thomas understands how to mix up his releases while always getting upfield and threatening defensive backs.
As a route-runner, Thomas is a mixed bag, but there are things to work with. He is at his best on simple one-cut routes that let him attack the middle of the field, such as digs and slants.

NFL.COM PAGE: https://www.nfl.com/prospects/brian-thomas-jr/32005448-4f41-9793-7e94-7811f8a76eb2

JC LATHAM/OT/BAMA (submitted by pff)
[Image: resize?url=https%3A%2F%2Fdxbhsrqyrr690.c...height=300]

Latham is in the mold of an offensive lineman who does not come around often. He will be just 21 during his rookie season, yet he has two years of starting experience in the SEC.

Despite drawing 18 penalties over the past two years and having room to improve in some anticipation parts of the position, Latham is a first-round trench player due to his rare combination of size, speed and refinement.

NFL.COM PAGE: https://www.nfl.com/prospects/jc-latham/32004c41-5405-9109-f911-a29e9cf30811

JER'ZHAN “JERRY” NEWTON/DT./LLI (submitted by Draftbuzz)
[Image: y71sd5fmdutajzrbpuf5.jpg]

Despite being on the smaller side for a defensive lineman, stands out for his dynamic play at Illinois. His ability to hold his ground against the run, coupled with his agility, makes him a versatile defender. Newton isn't just about brute strength; his mobility allows him to move, making plays all along the line.

Newton shines in his pass-rushing role, where his quick hands and diverse skill set come into play. He's adept at using a variety of techniques to get past blockers, combining agility with elite flexibility for a player of his size. This makes him a consistent threat in the backfield and an outstanding interior rusher.

NFL.COM PAGE: https://www.nfl.com/prospects/jer-zhan-newton/32004e45-5771-4885-82c7-4990610c7ce7

NATE WIGGINS/CB/CLEM (submitted by Athlon Sports)
[Image: Nate-Wiggins-2-e1702485574549.jpg?w=1000...600&crop=1]

If height and length are your thing when it comes to corner prospects, Wiggins is your guy. His tall frame and impressive wingspan give him a clear advantage when it comes to making plays on the ball and not getting beat on jump-balls. He’s also got elite ball skills that make him a big-play threat every time a pass comes his way. Wiggins is fluid coming in and out of his breaks and can close on the ball faster than most taller corners.

NFL.COM PAGE: https://www.nfl.com/prospects/nate-wiggins/32005749-4718-7116-94fb-5c2bafb73cf5

LAIATU LATU/ED/UCLA (submitted by Draft Network)
[Image: 12141642.jpg]

Latu is a two-lane rusher that can attack the outside and inside rush paths. He has adequate dip and bend to corner offensive tackles and close onto the quarterback. His pass-rush plan is calculated and intelligent using leverage to create opportunities to counter good pass sets by opponents. 
As a run defender, Latu is effective against opposing tight ends. He uses the stack-and-shed method to create and maintain separation before working toward the ball carrier.

NFL.COM PAGE: https://www.nfl.com/prospects/laiatu-latu/32004c41-5472-6759-478e-3fedff810c53

ADONAI “AD” MITCHELL/WR/UT (nominated by Synric/Report by Chris Plum)
[Image: Adonai_Mitchell_TD_DSC05600_poU1M.jpg]

He has good size for an outside receiver with great athletic traits. Mitchell has the speed to stretch the defense vertically or pick up chunk yardage in run-after-catch situations. He also has the ability to sink his hips and change directions suddenly, allowing him to move like a much smaller receiver.

Mitchell is also a willing blocker for his teammates. He was used as a blocker on the perimeter for off-tackle runs, wide receiver sweeps, and screens. He was also used tight to the offensive line in short-yardage situations. He has enough strength to effectively block most cornerbacks and smaller safeties, as well as the toughness to work to sustain his blocks for as long as possible.

NFL.COM PAGE: https://www.nfl.com/prospects/adonai-mitchell/32004d49-5405-6120-269b-4e222571d8ba
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
My top 3

Murphy - DT Texas I think he is the best 3 down DT in the draft. (I am also assuming Tee is staying)

Brian Thomas Jr. WR LSU - He would create a 3 headed monster for us at WR, Chase and Higgins can both play in the slot as can Gesicki

Best OT on the board - If Fashanu is available, he jumps to #1 on my board. If not, I like Mims with my 3rd choice at pick #18.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
Do Jerry Newton belong on the board? :P

Reply/Quote
I think Ill be happy with just about any pick at 18 but for me I went with my top 3:

1) Brian Thomas-WR- (LSU)- I think we all know this offense relies on WR's and getting him in the 1st Rd keeps JoeB surrounded by weapons and pressures the opposing defenses, especially with Higgins a question mark. possible trade during the draft?

2) Amarius Mims-RT (UGA)- obvious need at RT, could be a starter at any time, but with Trent Brown there no need to rush early. big massive body for the offense.

3) Jer'zhan Newton- DT (Illini)- versatile D lineman, can add pressure in the backfield as well as hold his own against the run, much needed asset on the Dline.
Reply/Quote
Great job Bfine, I voted for Byron Murphy obviously, but would be happy with Mims, Barton, Thomas Jr, Fautanu, AD Mitchell,
Latham, Latu, Verse and of course Bowers. Newton I heard has some injury issues right now so he is falling, same with JPJ.

BTW, this is the Bengals 1st round pick so obviously it is Bengals related and if this was in JN it actually might get a lot more
votes instead of us having to go on JN and tell everyone to go to the Draft forum, just sayin'.
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2024, 08:47 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Great job Bfine, I voted for Byron Murphy obviously, but would be happy with Mims, Barton, Thomas Jr, Fautanu, AD Mitchell,
Latham, Latu, Verse and of course Bowers. Newton I heard has some injury issues right now so he is falling, same with JPJ.

BTW, this is the Bengals 1st round pick so obviously it is Bengals related and if this was in JN it actually might get a lot more
votes instead of us having to go on JN and tell everyone to go to the Draft forum, just sayin'.

I didn't even realize it got moved from JN. I shoulda made another thread about Tee Higgins. 

The Mods:

[Image: Screen-Shot-2018-08-14-at-11.08.55-AM.png]

Reply/Quote
I'm going with Mims. He is one of the freakiest athletes in the 2024 NFL Draft, and the only reason why he won’t go as a top-10 pick is because of his lack of experience.
Reply/Quote
In order

Latham
Other - JPJ
Murphy
Reply/Quote
Have to stop in here and pimp my boy Graham Barton. The dude has 39 starts at the college level and has done well every year. Some like JPJ at the interior, but there are legit health concerns and only has 1-year as a starter. GB is strong, mean, athletic, and smart. Read scouting reports and you'll see only weakness is arm length; that's why he's moving inside, just like Zack Martin and Joe Thuney.

Reply/Quote
I took the guy with short arms
Reply/Quote
Just to pimp my guy, Jackson Powers-Johnson, obviously he has one of the best football names in the draft.

He is young having just turned 21 in January. And in his short successful CFB career has already started a big time college football game at DT and won the Rimington Trophy awarded to the best center in the nation.

I know it’s just high school, but holy shit his high school career write up is comically attractive if you are looking for an impactful football player to add to your team.

https://goducks.com/sports/football/roster/jackson-powers-johnson/16144

Consensus four-star recruit and a top-5 center nationally by 247Sports (No. 1), ESPN (No. 2) the 247 composite (No. 2) and Rivals (No. 5) … A top-200 player nationally by 247Sports (No. 182), ESPN (No. 189) and the 247 composite (No. 189) … Consensus top center from Utah while ranking in the top six among all players from the state by 247Sports (No. 2), the 247 composite (No. 3), ESPN (No. 3) and Rivals (No. 6) … A SI second-team All-American … Named a PrepStar Top 350 All-American … Selected to play in the 2021 Under Armour All-American Game and the 2021 Polynesian Bowl … A four-year letterman and three-year team captain … Two-time first team all-state pick, three-time first-team All-6A Region 4 selection and one-time second-team All-6A Region 4 pick … Helped team to three straight state championships, including back-to-back 6A state championships in 2019 and 2020 and a 5A state title in 2018 … Team finished the 2017 season as the state runner-up … In four years, helped Corner Canyon to a 51-1 record … Played on both sides of the ball finishing career with 124 tackles (42 solo), 20.0 tackles for loss, 7.5 sacks, seven hurries, two interceptions, eight passes deflected and a forced fumble … Earned MaxPreps first-team All-Utah honors following senior season after leading Corner Canyon to a 14-0 record, a 6A state football championship and a No. 8 finish in the MaxPreps Top 25 High School Football Rankings … Claimed first-team Deseret News 6A All-State honors as an offensive lineman following senior season … Had 42 tackles (28) solo, 9.0 TFL, 0.5 sacks and four passes deflected … Had multiple tackles in 10 of 11 games … Had a season-high seven tackles (4 solo) and 2.0 TFL in a win vs. Bingham … Finished with five tackles and a TFL in back-to-back wins over Westlake and Skyridge (4 solo in each game) … Had four tackles in two games, three tackles in four games and two tackles twice … Had multiple tackles for loss in two games (vs. Bingham, vs. Lone Peak), while finishing with a TFL in seven of 12 games … Named to Deseret News first-team 6A All-State Team following junior season … On defense, finished season with 49 tackles (34 solo), 8.0 TFL, 4.5 sacks, an interception and two passes deflected … Had a career-high nine tackles (all solo), 2.0 TFL and a sack in a win vs. Skyridge … Finished with eight tackles, a career-best 3.0 TFL and a career-tying best 2.0 sacks in a state playoff semifinal win over Lone Peak … Made five tackles twice, four tackles once, three tackles three times (including state championship win vs. American Fork) and two tackles three times … Had a TFL in four different games including three multi-TFL games … Had sacks in four games … Picked off a pass in win over Syracuse … As a sophomore, named first-team All-Region 7 by the league’s coaches … On defense, finished with 23 tackles (15 solo), 3.0 TFL, 0.5 sacks, four hurries, an interception, two passes deflected and a forced fumble … Had multiple tackles in six games … Finished with a season-high five tackles (4 solo) in state playoff semifinal win over Olympus … Had four tackles (all solo) and a TFL in win vs. Alta … Had two tackles in four different games … Had a TFL in three games and half a sack in one game … Picked off a pass while making two tackles in a win vs. Brighton … As a freshman, named second-team All-Region 7 by the league’s coaches … On defense, had 10 tackles (5 solo), 2.0 TFL and 2.0 sacks … Had a season-high five tackles and a career-best 2.0 sacks in win vs. Riverton … High school coach was Eric Kjar … Lettered three times in baseball and wrestling … Also recruited by BYU, Liberty, Missouri, Nebraska, Utah, Utah State and Washington State.
Reply/Quote
Latham would be my first option but I doubt he's there and I believe Thomas woudn't get past the Jags. The most realistic option would be Murphy who I like the more I study him. Like others have said Murphy played NT at Texas he's good versus the run and can rush. At first I was put off by his size but he's jacked up and strong and those shorter guys are good they get under guys. A rotation of Hill, Rankins, Murphy at DT would be nice and If Myles Murphy takes a step up are D-line would be a strength. I want a long term solution at RT but Mims scares me with only 8 starts plus an injury history on top of getting injured at the combine.
Reply/Quote
Mims, Latham, Newton
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2024, 09:13 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I didn't even realize it got moved from JN. I shoulda made another thread about Tee Higgins. 

The Mods:

[Image: Screen-Shot-2018-08-14-at-11.08.55-AM.png]

Lame lol
Reply/Quote
Sorry didn't get the quick analysis in.

Quick correction Brian Thomas Jr. is 6227 209lbs and Adonai Mitchell is 6222 205lbs (209 at pro day) about half an inch difference in height.

I voted Graham Barton guys isn't getting enough love not alot of guys in this class than can work in space like Barton.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(04-14-2024, 04:46 PM)Synric Wrote: Sorry didn't get the quick analysis in.

Quick correction Brian Thomas Jr. is 6227 209lbs and Adonai Mitchell is 6222 205lbs (209 at pro day) about half an inch difference in height.

I voted Graham Barton guys isn't getting enough love not alot of guys in this class than can work in space like Barton.

Another thing folks don't realize about Barton is his athleticism. 

Of the 1532 OG prospects who've been measured since 1987; GB ranks 3rd in RAS.  

[Image: GKHnxaWXQAAN4o1?format=jpg&name=900x900]

My fear is Pitt jumps us and gets their pivot for the next decade.

WTS, your WVU kid would be a fine consolation prize in the 2nd

Reply/Quote
Newton, Mims, Murphy

We'll see this week when Newton does his workout, but he seems virtually identical to Murphy, but better stats and almost double the snaps.
I actually like Murphy better than Mims, but lack of starts seems Mims only weakness, and the position is more valuable.
Reply/Quote
(04-14-2024, 04:46 PM)Synric Wrote: Sorry didn't get the quick analysis in.

(04-14-2024, 05:11 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Another thing folks don't realize about Barton is his athleticism. 

Of the 1532 OG prospects who've been measured since 1987; GB ranks 3rd in RAS.  

[Image: GKHnxaWXQAAN4o1?format=jpg&name=900x900]

My fear is Pitt jumps us and gets their pivot for the next decade.

WTS, your WVU kid would be a fine consolation prize in the 2nd

I am seriously liking Graham Barton more and more, those are elite RAS scores, wow.  Shocked

Please no on pitt jumping us for him...

(04-14-2024, 05:25 PM)puddycat Wrote: Newton, Mims, Murphy

We'll see this week when Newton does his workout, but he seems virtually identical to Murphy, but better stats and almost double the snaps.
I actually like Murphy better than Mims, but lack of starts seems Mims only weakness, and the position is more valuable.

Newton has some injury thing going on right now, so I have not been thinking of him at 18. Yes, we will see on the workout.

Newton is undersized for a 3-tech, Murphy is small for a Nose Tackle but he is the right size for a 3-tech. Doesn't matter with either though 
from what I have seen. Both can more than handle their own with their strength. Newton's quickness and hands are what stand out about 
him in a great way.
Reply/Quote
Of these options, I would pick Byron Murphy. He has been the clear cut DT1 for a while in my opinion. He would bring that interior pass rushing ability we desperately need and he's incredibly stout against the run. After that, like Nati Bengal, I would take JPJ but since he's not an option, I would look at the other oline prospects.

If I had to guess though, I would say our pick will be either Latham, Mims or Thomas Jr.
Reply/Quote
In order:

Mims, Latham, Murphy.

Taking a WR at #18 is way too high with Highins staying.

We need IOL but I do not love the value at #18 with OT, DT, WR, and CB all better value.

Mitchell or Arnold might have me go CB, but not Wiggins. Too slight.

Latu is a 3-4 guy. Does not fit our scheme.

We need run stoppers more than 3Ts. We have 2 guys who can play 3T (Hill, Rankins). I don't view Murphy nor Newton as Reader replacements. If all the OTs were gone, maybe then. But I'd be looking hard at trade down.

Mims has not played that much, but what he has us excellent. He isn't raw or mistake prone. Plus he'd get a year with Brown here.

Latham is more plug & play and might be the best run blocker in the draft. Penalties concern me a little, but I'd be thrilled with him.
Reply/Quote