Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2024 $5 Fast Food Meal
Kind of shocked to see the value meal wars hitting $5 in 2024.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/mcdonalds-5-value-meal-hits-menus-as-the-golden-arches-looks-to-bring-customers-back-212318264.html

"On Tuesday, the Golden Arches rolled out its $5 meal deal, which includes the choice of a McDouble burger or McChicken sandwich, in addition to a four-piece chicken McNuggets, small fries, and a small soft drink."

"McDonald's is not alone; other chains are jumping in on the value craze too."

"In early April, KFC (YUM) introduced a $4.99 meal that offers two pieces of chicken, a side of mashed potatoes and gravy, and a biscuit. In late May, Burger King (QSR) brought back its $5 Your Way Meal, which includes the choice of a Chicken Jr., Whopper Jr., or Bacon Cheeseburger, fries, nuggets, and a drink."

Thanks Biden ?  LMAO
Reply/Quote
(06-26-2024, 03:15 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Kind of shocked to see the value meal wars hitting $5 in 2024.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/mcdonalds-5-value-meal-hits-menus-as-the-golden-arches-looks-to-bring-customers-back-212318264.html

"On Tuesday, the Golden Arches rolled out its $5 meal deal, which includes the choice of a McDouble burger or McChicken sandwich, in addition to a four-piece chicken McNuggets, small fries, and a small soft drink."

"McDonald's is not alone; other chains are jumping in on the value craze too."

"In early April, KFC (YUM) introduced a $4.99 meal that offers two pieces of chicken, a side of mashed potatoes and gravy, and a biscuit. In late May, Burger King (QSR) brought back its $5 Your Way Meal, which includes the choice of a Chicken Jr., Whopper Jr., or Bacon Cheeseburger, fries, nuggets, and a drink."

Thanks Biden ?  LMAO

Let's not forget the mass closings of Red Lobsters, Hooters, and Rubio's Coastal Grill across the nation.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/food/2024/06/24/hooters-closing-restaurants/74198060007/

Thanks Biden?  

It is good to see fast food panicking and reducing the cost of their garbage meals. Poor people need a better way to get fat, can't just be everyone who is earning above the median income scarfing down Micky D's! Diabetes for all. I did not see any healthy choices listed on any of those $5 menus. Are they targeting the poor to make them less healthy via poor eating choices?        Ninja

https://www.statista.com/statistics/237141/us-obesity-by-annual-income/

Now if healthy food and regular groceries were to drop to pre-Biden levels, that would be something to celebrate. Some light hearted teasing, but food options for lower income families is a big issue that has a major impact on their overall health, as we see with obesity leading to so many other issues, like chronic pain, diabetes, mobility issues, feelings of self respect/worth, and the ability to fit into a peer group and take part in physical activities.

Some SNAP reform would be nice too, but that is a topic for another thread...
Reply/Quote
(06-26-2024, 07:42 AM)FormerlyBengalRugby Wrote: It is good to see fast food panicking and reducing the cost of their garbage meals. Poor people need a better way to get fat, can't just be everyone who is earning above the median income scarfing down Micky D's! Diabetes for all. I did not see any healthy choices listed on any of those $5 menus. Are they targeting the poor to make them less healthy via poor eating choices?        Ninja

They must be in cahoots with big pharma, gotta keep the cost of medical services from dropping.  Ninja
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Sad 
(06-26-2024, 07:42 AM)FormerlyBengalRugby Wrote: Let's not forget the mass closings of Red Lobsters, Hooters, and Rubio's Coastal Grill across the nation.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/food/2024/06/24/hooters-closing-restaurants/74198060007/

Thanks Biden?  

It is good to see fast food panicking and reducing the cost of their garbage meals. Poor people need a better way to get fat, can't just be everyone who is earning above the median income scarfing down Micky D's! Diabetes for all. I did not see any healthy choices listed on any of those $5 menus. Are they targeting the poor to make them less healthy via poor eating choices?        Ninja

Now if healthy food and regular groceries were to drop to pre-Biden levels, that would be something to celebrate. Some light hearted teasing, but food options for lower income families is a big issue that has a major impact on their overall health, as we see with obesity leading to so many other issues, like chronic pain, diabetes, mobility issues, feelings of self respect/worth, and the ability to fit into a peer group and take part in physical activities.

Red Lobster’s closing has to do with pour mgmt. They were forced to pay top dollar for shrimp harvested by the parent branch of the owning conglomerate. Then forced to prominently feature that same shrimp(ie endless shrimp)in most of their menu limiting variety. They put non restauranteurs in charge who cut staff leading to severe service issues. In other words, in the search for more corporate profit, the company forced the restaurant to buy overpriced product putting money in their other pocket and screwed up service. And now they have a bled dry restaurant being sold for pennies.

Hooters is going the way of Applebees, TGI Fridays and many other restaurants of that style. The menu and atmosphere failed to keep up with current times as tastes have changed. It’s part of the lifecycle. Fast food restaurants last, casual restaurants, even chains, come and go.

And I know you don’t want to hear this, but fresh food is highly dependent on climate. Every sector is under pressure by changes in climate driving costs up. It would have risen regardless of who was president. Drought, rising temperatures, rising sea temperatures, natural disasters, funguses, viruses, land loss are all impacting food production world wide

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(06-26-2024, 08:10 AM)pally Wrote: Red Lobster’s closing has to do with pour mgmt. They were forced to pay top dollar for shrimp harvested by the parent branch of the owning conglomerate.  Then forced to prominently feature that same shrimp(ie endless shrimp)in most of their menu limiting variety.    They put non restauranteurs in charge who cut staff leading to severe service issues. In other words, in the search for more corporate profit, the company forced the restaurant to buy overpriced product putting money in their other pocket and screwed up service. And now they have a bled dry restaurant being sold for pennies.

Hooters is going the way of Applebees, TGI Fridays and many other restaurants of that style.  The menu and atmosphere failed to keep up with current times as tastes have changed.  It’s part of the lifecycle.  Fast food restaurants last, casual restaurants, even chains, come and go.

And I know you don’t want to hear this, but fresh food is highly dependent on climate.  Every sector is under pressure by changes in climate driving costs up.  It would have risen regardless of who was president.  Drought, rising temperatures, rising sea temperatures, natural disasters, funguses, viruses, land loss are all impacting food production world wide

So $5 dollar meals appear, Joe gets some odd credit, but restaurants close nationally, then it has nothing to do with him...

Fresh food is about making the options available at a similar or better cost than substitutions. That is why seniors and lower income families are given tokens to use at farmers markets, and the markets are moving to areas accessible to them. In addition, programs are out there for carryout's to be able to provide fresh fruits and vegetables to those in need. 

I have yet to meet an actual famer who blames half of the excuses you are giving, but that's the boots on the ground, not wild guesses and talking points. I work with multiple farmers markets as well and hear very little of that as well, as their prices have barely moved compared to grocery stores.

There was a study done than showed a direct correlation between the density of fast food restaurants, I believe they used Subway, and obesity rates in the given population. I see cheap fast food as predatory to the population for multiple reasons and would like to see them barred from setting up within a certain distance from schools.
Reply/Quote
(06-26-2024, 08:24 AM)FormerlyBengalRugby Wrote: So $5 dollar meals appear, Joe gets some odd credit, but restaurants close nationally, then it has nothing to do with him...

Fresh food is about making the options available at a similar or better cost than substitutions. That is why seniors and lower income families are given tokens to use at farmers markets, and the markets are moving to areas accessible to them. In addition, programs are out there for carryout's to be able to provide fresh fruits and vegetables to those in need. 

I have yet to meet an actual famer who blames half of the excuses you are giving, but that's the boots on the ground, not wild guesses and talking points. I work with multiple farmers markets as well and hear very little of that as well, as their prices have barely moved compared to grocery stores.

There was a study done than showed a direct correlation between the density of fast food restaurants, I believe they used Subway, and obesity rates in the given population. I see cheap fast food as predatory to the population for multiple reasons and would like to see them barred from setting up within a certain distance from schools.

I didn't give anyone credit for the $5.00 menus.  Those came about because restaurants raised their prices too much just as other corporate-owned retailers have.  They pushed prices to the point that consumers pushed back...just as they intended.

Small farmer markets are a teeny tiny slice of the food supply utilized by an even smaller slice of the food market.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
If they come at the king (Wendy’s $5 Biggie Bag) they best not miss.
Reply/Quote
(06-26-2024, 08:10 AM)pally Wrote: Red Lobster’s closing has to do with pour mgmt. They were forced to pay top dollar for shrimp harvested by the parent branch of the owning conglomerate.  Then forced to prominently feature that same shrimp(ie endless shrimp)in most of their menu limiting variety.    They put non restauranteurs in charge who cut staff leading to severe service issues. In other words, in the search for more corporate profit, the company forced the restaurant to buy overpriced product putting money in their other pocket and screwed up service. And now they have a bled dry restaurant being sold for pennies.

Hooters is going the way of Applebees, TGI Fridays and many other restaurants of that style.  The menu and atmosphere failed to keep up with current times as tastes have changed.  It’s part of the lifecycle.  Fast food restaurants last, casual restaurants, even chains, come and go.

And I know you don’t want to hear this, but fresh food is highly dependent on climate.  Every sector is under pressure by changes in climate driving costs up.  It would have risen regardless of who was president.  Drought, rising temperatures, rising sea temperatures, natural disasters, funguses, viruses, land loss are all impacting food production world wide

Climate has always played in role in food production, which included the fresh ingredients used by every restaurant and grocery store. It is not because of climate change (no unfunded study ever has said climate change impacted food growth). I say unfunded as you give a scientist money to find issues with climate change, they will find issues to continue to get research dollars.

The US has major strides in climate control. Other countries have not. The technology was not used 100"s of years ago for climate indicators, so truth be known they had no reliable base. Thus, we could be better than 150 years ago, but we have no idea.

I am for doing realistic things to make sure the climate improves. I am not for fear mongering by Gore, AOC and others who say the end of the world will come if not changed now. Gore said Ice would be the issue, we long passed his prediction. Now, it is heat. It seems those who want to get rich from fear mongering like Gore will say anything to get rich including getting so called experts to validate their claims. Can it be better? Absolutely, but only if the entire world agrees to do what the US did over 20 years ago to reduce emissions.

As a nation, our air quality has never been better. Our water has never been cleaner. The cities like Flint are still having issues, though billions were ear marked for them to fix their major water quality issues, yes in the infrastructure bill.

Droughts, Eartquakes and Hurricanes have existed forever. There is no controlling God's plan for the climate.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(06-26-2024, 08:34 AM)pally Wrote: I didn't give anyone credit for the $5.00 menus.  Those came about because restaurants raised their prices too much just as other corporate-owned retailers have.  They pushed prices to the point that consumers pushed back...just as they intended.

Small farmer markets are a teeny tiny slice of the food supply utilized by an even smaller slice of the food market.

You don't like the facts, so you disregard the source. 

The consumers are not pushing back. It is the fast food industry ensuring there is a price point for everyone, and people are following suit for that same bite of the pie of the lower income brackets.

In fact, McDonalds is switching its breakfast equipment to churn breakfast food out faster now with less labor needed, which will add to the unemployment line.

But keep telling me you do not know about the food industry, without telling me you do not know about the food industry...
Reply/Quote
(06-26-2024, 08:34 AM)pally Wrote: I didn't give anyone credit for the $5.00 menus.  Those came about because restaurants raised their prices too much just as other corporate-owned retailers have.  They pushed prices to the point that consumers pushed back...just as they intended.

In the County that I live in, there are many farmer's markets as well as some meat markets/butcher shops and even stores/lunch counters owned by those same family farms. It is the same in the surrounding Counties in this region, as well. 

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(06-26-2024, 07:42 AM)FormerlyBengalRugby Wrote: Let's not forget the mass closings of Red Lobsters, Hooters, and Rubio's Coastal Grill across the nation.

Thanks Biden?  

I’ll call Biden up and see if I can get him to drop the price on organic produce next. I know he was busy celebrating after he dropped the price on the McDonalds value meal so it might be awhile. I heard he was considering lowering the price of bacon and gas since it is an election year too.
Reply/Quote
(06-26-2024, 08:21 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: I’ll call Biden up and see if I can get him to drop the price on organic produce next. I know he was busy celebrating after he dropped the price on the McDonalds value meal so it might be awhile. I heard he was considering lowering the price of bacon and gas since it is an election year too.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(06-26-2024, 10:00 AM)StoneTheCrow Wrote: If they come at the king (Wendy’s $5 Biggie Bag) they best not miss.

Sick
Reply/Quote
(Yesterday, 03:04 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Sick

[Image: donald-trump-wrong.gif]
Reply/Quote
(06-26-2024, 10:00 AM)StoneTheCrow Wrote: If they come at the king (Wendy’s $5 Biggie Bag) they best not miss.

Wendy's biggie bag is the best bargain on the market right now, especially since you can go into the app and upgrade the drink and fries to large for just a dollar each and it lets you pick a frosty for the drink.

On top of that, the app also often has deals like a free Dave's Single, free drink (if you want a frosty + a coke), free chili or free small frosty with any purchase that you can stack with the biggie bag and your rewards (like an additional 4 nuggets for 200 points).

You can eat an entire day's worth of food for just 7 dollars haha.
Reply/Quote
I wonder what comes in a 5 dollar meal at McDs in California? Half a hamburger with a happy meal sized fry? hahaha
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(Today, 09:38 AM)Millhouse Wrote: I wonder what comes in a 5 dollar meal at McDs in California? Half a hamburger with a happy meal sized fry? hahaha

I live in PA and the minimum wage here is $7.50 and we still have dollar menus and we don't have touch screens or kiosks and when you walk into a fast food place you'd swear you stepped back into 1979.  Just kidding.
Reply/Quote