Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2024 Bengals Free Agency/Roster Thread
Allright, the off-season is here a lot sooner than we all expected a year ago.

The first step in figuring out where you want to go is knowing where you are. To that end, here is a list of our signed players for next year:

I. 2024 Bengals Signed Players

A. Offense = 14

QB (1): Burrow (IR)
RB (3): Mixon; C. Brown, Evans
WR (3): Chase; Iosivas, C. Jones
TE (0):
OT (3): O. Brown; Carman, D. Smith
OG (2): Cappa, Volson
C (2): Karras, T. Hill

B. Defense = 21

DE (5): Hendrickson, Hubbard, C. Sample, Murphy, Ossai.
DT/NT (4): BJ Hill, Tufele, Bell, Maxwell (IR/PS).
LB (3): Wilson, Pratt; Harper
CB (5): CTB, Turner, Hilton; Ivey (IR), J. Davis.
S (4): Battle, D. Hill; Scott, Anderson (IR)

C. Special Teams = 2/3

PK (1): McPherson
P (1): Robbins
LS (0):
PR (1): C. Jones
KR (1): C. Brown
-----------------

Or, if you like to look at it from the other side, here is a list of FAs. UFA unless otherwise noted:
-------------

II. 2024 Free Agent List

A. Offense = 13

Higgins (WR2), Boyd (WR3), J. Williams (RT), D. Sample (TE), Browning (QB2, ERFA), Irwin (WR4, RFA), I. Smith (TE2), T. Hudson (TE3, RFA), Wilcox (TE4), T. Williams (RB2/KR1), Ford (OT3), Scharping (OG3/C3-2), McCarron (QB3).

B. Defense = 6

Reader (NT), Awuzie (CB), Tupou (NT2), ADG (LB3), Bailey (LB4), Bachie (LB5).

C. Special Teams = 2.

Adomitis (LS, ERFA), T. Williams (KR1).
-----------------

III. Overview

I realize most will likely think the D is more problematic than the O, but numerically, we have more holes of offense. Now, you can certainly have bodies but still need upgrades, but not having any bodies is worse.

I will certainly do a position group by position group breakdown later, but just broad strokes here.

Point #1: We have lots of cap room

Spotrac has it at $70 mil. Functionally less, as that counts only 38 signed players. Nor does it account for Chase's extension. But it is still 6th in the league. We can go FA route to fill a need or two if we want to.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cap/2024/

2. We will act like a SB contender.

For me this means while we won't necessarily try to retain all our big time FAs (Reader, Higgins, Jonah, Boyd, Chido), we will try to bring back some of them (most likely Higgins & Reader). Similarly, while we could cut a high paid vet to free up cap space (BJ Hill, Hubbard, Cappa, Mixon, Wilson, Pratt) I would be surprised if we do more than 1. This ain't a rebuild. I think the FO thinks we are a contender.

3. WR & DT/NT are the primary areas that need addressed.

Be it re-signing our own guys, FA, or draft. But we also have other pressing needs.

4. Pressing needs: RT, maybe CB.

RT for sure. Turner looked good early but Ivey's injury and DJ's play late would make a good corner hard to pass up.

5. TE, LB depth, P jump out too.

We have no TEs signed. Though there should not be a huge market for Sample or Wilcox. Hudson is an RFA.

Pratt & Wilson were not great. ADG, Bailey & Bachie are FAs. Maybe time for some LB competition?

Gimmee a P who can boom late in the draft. Kid from Iowa.

6. Not averse to: IOL upgrades, a big RB, more S help.

7. Low priority: QB, PK, DE.

Browning is ERFA, so he should be back
--------

Have at it.
Reply/Quote
RT then DT are the biggest needs. RT I would probably address in round 1 because I think there will be a couple of good players available
I did not realize how many open spots there are on offense. Would for sure bring Hudson and one of the other TEs back. Hudson was pretty good once he got playing time and it would be good to have a back up who already knows the system.
I would also love to see them sign a good veteran Guard and make Volson a back up.

I think they could bring Chido back but they are going to be relying on the young guys to step up next season - that’s why they used all of those draft picks on them over the past couple of years.
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2024, 09:18 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Point #1: We have lots of cap room

Spotrac has it at $70 mil. Functionally less, as that counts only 38 signed players. Nor does it account for Chase's extension. But it is still 6th in the league. We can go FA route to fill a need or two if we want to.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cap/2024/

Chris Rolling is reporting on Bengals Wire (USA Today) via Spotrac that the Bengals currently have $60M.  Either way, that money shrinks fast when you consider they have 15 spots to fill, plus all the other cash put asides.

Edit: I see that through your link that they are indeed showing just under $70M, I wonder if Rolling made a typo?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2024, 03:02 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Chris Rolling is reporting on Bengals Wire (USA Today) via Spotrac that the Bengals currently have $60M.  Either way, that money shrinks fast when you consider they have 15 spots to fill, plus all the other cash put asides.

Edit: I see that through your link that they are indeed showing just under $70M, I wonder if Rolling made a typo?

I think Rolling is taken into account restricted FA and future contract guys(aka practice squad). 
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2024, 07:44 PM)J24 Wrote: I think Rolling is taken into account restricted FA and future contract guys(aka practice squad). 

You may be right, he did mention that did not account for paying a new draft class, so that had me curious.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2024, 07:46 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: You may be right, he did mention that did not account for paying a new draft class, so that had me curious.

Cap space and effective cap space are 2 different things.

Effective cap space is the projected cap space a team will have after accounting for 51 players and it's rookie class.

For instance, Overthecap has the Bengals at around 68m in cap space, but only 54m in effective cap space. 

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space

Here's another look at effective cap space...

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-teams-2024-offseason-resources-cap-space-2024-nfl-draft
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2024, 08:22 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Cap space and effective cap space are 2 different things.

Effective cap space is the projected cap space a team will have after accounting for 51 players and it's rookie class.

For instance, Overthecap has the Bengals at around 68m in cap space, but only 54m in effective cap space. 

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space

Here's another look at effective cap space...

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-teams-2024-offseason-resources-cap-space-2024-nfl-draft

Thanks, that's a great chart.  Bengals appear to be in pretty good shape.  Sucks to be a fan of the Saints, Dolphins or Browns by that Chart's metrics.  

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I will do a slight uodate with the future's guys, Cochran signing, and the fact I think Hudson is an UFA not a RFA.

Functional cap space is around $55. That is you min vets and draft class filling in most of the open roster spots.

Still, we squeeze the belt to free up a bit more (Scott & Carman could yield $3 mil, Mixon, etc).

But if you take my route & bring back Tee & Reader, that is likely $30-$35 mil.That leaves you $20-$25 to play with: new FA's, Jonah, Boyd, Chido.
Reply/Quote
I do not believe for a second that the FO/staff are gonna give up on Dax Hill, Turner, and Murphy. I expect the first two to be starters next year and Murphy to improve.

Therefore, I do not think we throw big money or a 1st rounder at DE or CB or S.

Now, with Chido a FA and Ivey out, we are gonna need another CB or two somehow. And Scott was bad and Anderson hurt. S depth should be in play.

But I think NT/DT, WR, and RT are the big three at the moment. Then TE & CB. Then S. Though a S could help at corner as well, as Dax can play some slot, but I ain't miving him if it means Scott playing.

1st order of business: bring back Tee & Reader.

2nd order of business: try and sign a difference maker with the $20-$25 mil we have left after that. I would prioritize DT (Wilkins, Jones, Madubuike) but landing them is a longshot. The FA S class is deep, so we could get a bargain, but I seriously doubt we give up on Hill. Ditto spending big on DE having just picked Murphy. Ditto CB with Turner. I'd go TE next (Schultz) but we seem philosophically opposed to spend on TE's (but not RBs). FA OT class is weak and draft class really strong. Which leads me back to Chido & Boyd.

3rd order of business: try to snatch up as many of our cheap FA's as possible: Adomitis, Browning should be easy (ERFA's). Then D. Sample, Irwin, Ford, Scharping, Tupou, T. Williams, Bailey, & Bachie. ADG & Hudson could be pricier, but I really want Hudson back.

4th: draft time. See what holes are left. OT Rd1, then it will depend on how FA went. I prefer Fuaga or Latham to Mims. Don't forget, we COULD take a LT, too. OBJ can play on the right.
Reply/Quote
Looks like we are in a pretty good spot to add a RT and a DT in FA. Thanks Ike. Wink
Reply/Quote
There are a few guys in FA I wouldn't mind targeting to cover RT.
There are a few WRs and TEs too, at least as a 1-2 year stopgap.

Who are some solid-or-better run-stuffing NTs hitting FA other than Reader?
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-17-2024, 05:15 PM)ochocincos Wrote: There are a few guys in FA I wouldn't mind targeting to cover RT.
There are a few WRs and TEs too, at least as a 1-2 year stopgap.

Who are some solid-or-better run-stuffing NTs hitting FA other than Reader?

Agreed. Tyrod Smith or Trent Brown at RT would be nice. Again, IDK if Dallas/NE let them get away, or if they wanna sign someplace they might not start if we take a plug & olay RT (Latham, Fuaga). But it would REALLY open up the draft. A falling Newton or Bowers. We could take a corner (Wiggins, DeJean, Kool-Aid). We could trade back for an extra Day 2 pick and take a guy like Guyton. 
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2024, 04:43 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Agreed. Tyrod Smith or Trent Brown at RT would be nice. Again, IDK if Dallas/NE let them get away, or if they wanna sign someplace they might not start if we take a plug & olay RT (Latham, Fuaga). But it would REALLY open up the draft. A falling Newton or Bowers. We could take a corner (Wiggins, DeJean, Kool-Aid). We could trade back for an extra Day 2 pick and take a guy like Guyton. 

Why on Earth would Trent Brown want to play for the Patriots given the rebuild they're going through?
I would have to think he'd LOVE to play on the Bengals over the Patriots at this point.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote