Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
McPherson on new kick off rules
https://www.bengals.com/news/money-mac-adjusts-to-new-kickoff-rule-joe-burrow-flashes-varied-offense

This will be one of the biggest unknowns going into the new season. Luckily every team is in the same boat. It will all be a matter of who figures it out best

Quote: McPherson is certain he can adjust, even though on Tuesday he attacked kickoffs the exact opposite of the way he's done it his entire life. Now, instead of booming, he's shortened his stride and chipping it inside the 5 to the corners.
"It's definitely interesting. It brings a lot of placement into play. It's all touch. It feels weird for me," McPherson said. "I'm used to kicking it as high as I can, as hard as I can. Now I have to throw it inside to the 5-yard line in specific areas. It's definitely an adjustment. You have to play the wind a lot more now." "You're kind of taking the aggressive swing away and really just three stepping (the kickoff) and hitting it like a field goal approach to it," McPherson said.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(05-29-2024, 12:40 PM)pally Wrote: https://www.bengals.com/news/money-mac-adjusts-to-new-kickoff-rule-joe-burrow-flashes-varied-offense

This will be one of the biggest unknowns going into the new season.  Luckily every team is in the same boat.  It will all be a matter of who figures it out best

Like you said, every team is in the same boat and, luckily, it looks like Money Mac is up to the challenge and is excelling at trying to make it work.

My question is, if they're trying to eliminate hits and make for less returns, why give the other team the ball further up the field if they kick a touchback, thus making it more beneficial to have the other team return it?

Cinci doesn't seem too windy to impact his kicks, although it does tend to be windier along the river near the stadium.

Just glad we have Mac working hard to get it right!
Reply/Quote
(05-29-2024, 12:55 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Like you said, every team is in the same boat and, luckily, it looks like Money Mac is up to the challenge and is excelling at trying to make it work.

My question is, if they're trying to eliminate hits and make for less returns, why give the other team the ball further up the field if they kick a touchback, thus making it more beneficial to have the other team return it?

Cinci doesn't seem too windy to impact his kicks, although it does tend to be windier along the river near the stadium.

I still dont understand how the onside kick works now
from what I see, that would be what I tried almost every time now based on where they are kicking from
Reply/Quote
(05-29-2024, 04:07 PM)kalibengal Wrote: I still dont understand how the onside kick works now
from what I see, that would be what I tried almost every time now based on where they are kicking from

I know but I think they can only do it twice and if they're trailing.

I agree if it weren't that you can only do it twice.

There was a college coach I had read about a while back that did the math and kicked an onside kick every time because the benefits outweighed kicking it deep every time, so it would be even more beneficial with the new rules.

I might be wrong because who the hell knows with all these stupid rule changes.
Reply/Quote
(05-29-2024, 04:07 PM)kalibengal Wrote: I still dont understand how the onside kick works now

You can only onside in the fourth now if trailing and it is the old rules in term of ball placement and spacing.
Reply/Quote
(05-29-2024, 04:42 PM)Au165 Wrote: You can only onside in the fourth now if trailing and it is the old rules in term of ball placement and spacing.

yep and they brought back the ability to overload one side
Reply/Quote
(05-29-2024, 12:55 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Like you said, every team is in the same boat and, luckily, it looks like Money Mac is up to the challenge and is excelling at trying to make it work.

My understanding is they want to see teams trying to return it, instead of all the touchbacks. 
Reply/Quote

They will still kick off from their own 35 yard line. Only the coverage will be upfield.

Teams will have to declare an onside kick is coming and it will revert to the current formation.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote