Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
2024 Election Issues for the middle class
(06-12-2023, 11:37 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: Yup. The culture wars are the real issue people seem to be voting on right now. Abortion, LGBTQ issues, guns, crime, etc. That stuff is what gets people to the polls.

The WV Healthcare system is one of the worst and most expensive in the country this is forcing teachers to leave the state in flocks. We are having trouble finding teachers to just teach basic classes let alone AP or technical classes which help kids apply for better higher education. WV does have ok roads and really nice rest stops though... some of the best rest stops in the country lol.

Honestly I have a really hard time caring about a lot of the culture issues.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-12-2023, 01:14 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Well, the key is perception.  To a lot of people "voting republican" is the first and last step to fixing the economy.  Economics is a phd-level discipline, so logically we dumbass voters have been given some simple rules.  Republican good economy, democrat bad economy.  Ain't we lucky?

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSCKlNSXP8GDMd0lNqRTce...Q&usqp=CAU]
[Image: 4540978331_3e8fe35323.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(06-12-2023, 02:34 PM)BengalYankee Wrote: [Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSCKlNSXP8GDMd0lNqRTce...Q&usqp=CAU]

But his BJs.
Reply/Quote
(06-12-2023, 02:53 PM)Nately120 Wrote: But his BJs.

Shut your dirty mouth this is a Family Forum. Pissed

[Image: 18395b82de86b1ed6e4a948e2bbe923d.jpg]
[Image: 4540978331_3e8fe35323.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(06-12-2023, 01:00 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Reaction to the #metoo movement further made me realize that men prefer to tell women what they are afraid of rather than listen to their actual views on things. 

Ladies, you aren't afraid of your domestic partners that are most likely to harm or kill you, you're really scared of strangers on the NYC subway assuming you've ever even been to NYC much less live there.  Buy this gun from me and I assure you that you won't be staring down the barrel of it while standing in your own kitchen.  You'll be using it to shoot some vague Hollywood-driven perception of a faceless and 100% nefarious henchman.

Oh crap, I'm white knighting now.  I'm just a cynic, ignore me.

Stranger killings are relatively rare in the scope of murders, but women are still scared of being assaulted by strangers.  If you listen to them, they will tell you that.  My wife has zero fear of me, but she has fear of being assaulted by a stranger.  My daughter calls me on the phone from Charlotte when she has to walk somewhere at night or waiting outside for an Uber.  I don't mention the obvious, but I guess it's comforting.  They make the Uber driver tell them who they are there to pick up.   At least she has pepper spray.  
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(06-12-2023, 04:56 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Stranger killings are relatively rare in the scope of murders, but women are still scared of being assaulted by strangers.  If you listen to them, they will tell you that.  My wife has zero fear of me, but she has fear of being assaulted by a stranger.  My daughter calls me on the phone from Charlotte when she has to walk somewhere at night or waiting outside for an Uber.  I don't mention the obvious, but I guess it's comforting.  They make the Uber driver tell them who they are there to pick up.   At least she has pepper spray.  

I hear ya, I didn't mean to say women aren't afraid of strangers so much as that vague sort of "Don't worry about me, worry about some unknown stranger out there" mindset.  It really sucks that women have to accept that we as a society are so dangerous for them.  I recall talking to a woman I knew years ago and she said when she jogs she puts a cheap wedding band looking ring on her finger so potential assailants will notice it and assume she has a husband who will notice and care if she goes missing, etc.

It's a real luxury as a man to not have to think about that stuff.
Reply/Quote
(06-12-2023, 02:11 PM)Synric Wrote: The WV Healthcare system is one of the worst and most expensive in the country this is forcing teachers to leave the state in flocks. We are having trouble finding teachers to just teach basic classes let alone AP or technical classes which help kids apply for better higher education. WV does have ok roads and really nice rest stops though... some of the best rest stops in the country lol.

Being as I spend a fair amount of time in West Virginia and am in a neighboring county, I get it. The problem is that the politicians will focus on those culture war issues because solving the real problems means people have less to be mad about.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(06-12-2023, 05:43 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I hear ya, I didn't mean to say women aren't afraid of strangers so much as that vague sort of "Don't worry about me, worry about some unknown stranger out there" mindset.  It really sucks that women have to accept that we as a society are so dangerous for them.  I recall talking to a woman I knew years ago and she said when she jogs she puts a cheap wedding band looking ring on her finger so potential assailants will notice it and assume she has a husband who will notice and care if she goes missing, etc.

It's a real luxury as a man to not have to think about that stuff.

I don’t think the wedding ring truck will do much, but it sucks they have to think up things like that. I try to do my part. Walking down the same sidewalk maybe cross the street or drop back. Things like that.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(06-12-2023, 02:11 PM)Synric Wrote: The WV Healthcare system is one of the worst and most expensive in the country this is forcing teachers to leave the state in flocks. We are having trouble finding teachers to just teach basic classes let alone AP or technical classes which help kids apply for better higher education. WV does have ok roads and really nice rest stops though... some of the best rest stops in the country lol.

They are super proud of that Tamarac rest stop. They advertise it for miles and miles. LOL Really pretty down that way though.

Reply/Quote
(06-12-2023, 07:43 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I don’t think the wedding ring truck will do much, but it sucks they have to think up things like that. I try to do my part. Walking down the same sidewalk maybe cross the street or drop back. Things like that.

I think the mindset is more along the lines that it shows she is the possession of a man and a man will not likely take kindly to you messing with his stuff.  Again, cynical. 

(06-12-2023, 07:48 PM)michaelsean Wrote: They are super proud of that Tamarac rest stop. They advertise it for miles and miles. LOL  Really pretty down that way though.

I have to admit, that rest stop coffee machine that dispenses the overpriced cappuccino and has the hand of playing cards on the cup is one of my favorite chintzy things to make a big deal out of.  I wanna make a rock opera about about those machines. 
Reply/Quote
Women are raised from babyhood to fear strangers. It is pounded into them. Some of that hysteria comes from the gun industry trying to push gun ownership and carry on every person. Gotta have a gun to protect against evil strangers. Sadly, women should be told they are more likely to be physically injured by someone they know and perhaps even love than a stranger. But hey, the threat of violence or even actual violence perpetrated by that person in the woman's life isn't enough to get his weapons away from him thus putting the woman in even more serious danger. Another flaw in the "protect the women" chorus.

Everyone should be wary when in isolated situations that place them in a vulnerable position

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(06-13-2023, 10:36 AM)pally Wrote: Women are raised from babyhood to fear strangers. It is pounded into them.  Some of that hysteria comes from the gun industry trying to push gun ownership and carry on every person.  Gotta have a gun to protect against evil strangers.  Sadly, women should be told they are more likely to be physically injured by someone they know and perhaps even love than a stranger.  But hey, the threat of violence or even actual violence perpetrated by that person in the woman's life isn't enough to get his weapons away from him thus putting the woman in even more serious danger.  Another flaw in the "protect the women" chorus.

Everyone should be wary when in isolated situations that place them in a vulnerable position

I can only repeat what the women in my life tell me.  I don't tell them they are being ridiculous.  I try not to minimize other people's fears, especially to sneak in a little political jab. Yes all people should be cautious, but men aren't subject to would be rapists, and other predators who want the path of least resistance. Nobody is going to grab me from behind leaving work, rape me in my car and then murder me as like happened to a waitress right near the OSU campus when my daughter was a student there.

Reply/Quote
(06-13-2023, 10:51 AM)michaelsean Wrote: I can only repeat what the women in my life tell me.  I don't tell them they are being ridiculous.  I try not to minimize other people's fears, especially to sneak in a little political jab.  Yes all people should be cautious, but men aren't subject to would be rapists, and other predators who want the path of least resistance.  Nobody is going to grab me from behind leaving work, rape me in my car and then murder me as like happened to a waitress right near the OSU campus when my daughter was a student there.

As a woman, I take precautions every day.  I watch where I park, where I walk.  I lock my doors and avoid certain areas after dark.  I avoid being isolated. I guard my drinks when out in a public restaurant or bar.  

Just because in most cases the fear is overblown doesn't mean that I think common sense shouldn't prevail in all cases

Reply/Quote
(06-13-2023, 11:03 AM)pally Wrote: As a woman, I take precautions every day.  I watch where I park, where I walk.  I lock my doors and avoid certain areas after dark.  I avoid being isolated. I guard my drinks when out in a public restaurant or bar.  

Just because in most cases the fear is overblown doesn't mean that I think common sense shouldn't prevail in all cases

Yes it can be overblown just like we are all terrified our children are going to be snatched, but I don’t know what it’s like so I follow their lead.

PS. My wife bought drink covers for my daughter that she saw on Shark Tank. Don’t know if she uses them though.

Reply/Quote
(06-12-2023, 11:21 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: My guess is you do not live paycheck to paycheck. Most people vote for the person they feel will help them financially the most. Biden needs to figure out a way to insure the middle class are doing better in 2024 than they were under Trump.

I have yet to see a poll trusting Biden with the economy over Trump.

As far as polls, I think you see Biden (and Harris) are underwater with independents and overall.

The public will not give Biden a pass post Pandemic to not show energy by campaigning from his basement. Even Democrats fear Biden's mental and physical capabilities are getting worse, not better.

The is a major lack of enthusiasm for Joe Biden in 2024, even in his own party.

It's very easy to pick out who has money and who doesn't on these forums.

The ones with money are not affected by the horrible policies/agenda and are free to see and argue things from an emotional point of view.
Reply/Quote
(06-13-2023, 12:57 PM)Mickeypoo Wrote: It's very easy to pick out who has money and who doesn't on these forums.

The ones with money are not affected by the horrible policies/agenda and are free to see and argue things from an emotional point of view.

I feel like I'm at the carnival...how much money do you think I have?
Reply/Quote
(06-13-2023, 12:57 PM)Mickeypoo Wrote: It's very easy to pick out who has money and who doesn't on these forums.

or maybe they do live paycheck to paycheck but have the ability to remove their personal circumstances from the argument.  Usually, it is the people most affected by an issue who argue with their emotions versus using logic and critical thinking skills.

People should never make assumptions about others when they only know them via their written posts. You really have no idea of their personal circumstances. Frankly, some may actually believe the opposite of what they post but are either looking for drama or are playing devil's advocate.

Reply/Quote
(06-13-2023, 01:06 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I feel like I'm at the carnival...how much money do you think I have?

I never said you were being emotional.

As far as the carnival, I listed some of the attractions going on in Miami in the other thread.
Reply/Quote
(06-13-2023, 01:10 PM)pally Wrote: or maybe they do live paycheck to paycheck but have the ability to remove their personal circumstances from the argument.  Usually, it is the people most affected by an issue who argue with their emotions versus using logic and critical thinking skills.

People should never make assumptions about others when they only know them via their written posts. You really have no idea of their personal circumstances. Frankly, some may actually believe the opposite of what they post but are either looking for drama or are playing devil's advocate.

Then you’re told you’re voting against your own self-interest. I’ve been told that many a time.

Reply/Quote
(06-13-2023, 01:15 PM)Mickeypoo Wrote: I never said you were being emotional.

As far as the carnival, I listed some of the attractions going on in Miami in the other thread.

The carnival thing was a joke about "guess my wealth" in a "guess my weight" sort of manner. 
Reply/Quote