Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
***2024 NFL DRAFT THREAD***
FWIW i do think getting these 2 DTs means SOMETHING regarding a BJ Hill cut and i slyly suggested to its possibility before draft time.

Makes sense

7M is a lot for a guy who may now be a backup DT

But I’ll also say it kinda works against us to cut him if it’s not for the specific purpose of getting a big money guy in a trade

Also BJ is really good so cutting him would almost be stupid just to save money
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2024, 01:01 AM)Housh Wrote: FWIW i do think getting these 2 DTs means SOMETHING regarding a BJ Hill cut and i slyly suggested to its possibility before draft time.

Makes sense

But I’ll also say it kinda works against us to cut him if it’s not for the specific purpose of getting a big money guy in a trade

BJ Hill isn't getting cut.

Bengals lost DJ Reader & Josh Tupou... Adding in Zach Carter and Jay Tufele makes a 3rd DT on day 3 not crazy.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2024, 12:55 AM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: How many super bowl victors have had a starting "true NT" over the past decade? Im genuinely curious. Conference winners? It seems like leather helmet era type of logic that you need a NT. If you have a Casey Hampton or a Vince Wilfork OK but those guys are rare. 

I don't see Burton as being that high reward tbh. He was graded as a 4th rounder, not that fast, small. His own coach went on and on about his lack of control. He smacked a woman with cameras all around. That sounds like a real...imbecile. A shit for brains. A genuine stupid person. Begging for Stanley Wilson or Adam Jones 2.0

Geez...

Every winning team has a true NT in the rotation and none of them are pass rushers. Vince Wilfork was special, Reader isnt that special.  But NTs are prominent for short yardage and obvious run situations.  Expecting any pass rush from NTs makes no sense. 

Burton ran 4.43, he is way better than Wilson and Franklin when it comes to route tree and YAC.  He could unlock this offense up the seam. Of course he was a shit for brains. But he says TJ has worked with him on maturity and we need to trust the locker room, Burrow & Chase, in particular, not to mention Troy Walters.

There are many here reading some blurbs here and there with zero real research whatsoever.  I get it, but it is truly lazy.

Reply/Quote
(04-27-2024, 01:01 AM)Housh Wrote: FWIW i do think getting these 2 DTs means SOMETHING regarding a BJ Hill cut and i slyly suggested to its possibility before draft time.

Makes sense

I think it makes less than zero sense. We are really going with only one proven veteran, Zach Carter, and 2 rookies?  

It is preposterous.

Reply/Quote
(04-27-2024, 01:08 AM)casear2727 Wrote: I think it makes less than zero sense. We are really going with only one proven veteran, Zach Carter, and 2 rookies?  

It is preposterous.

Yeah, I don't see BJ going anywhere. This team is pushing for another Super Bowl run. They just added depth/rotation, with an eye to the future. 

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
We've retooled the interior DL. Hill and Rankins are the pass rushing 3T rotation and Jenkins and Jackson are the run stopping NT rotation. When they go 5 man front expect it to be Hill, Rankins and Jenkins. This is a much more athletic interior than we had and it has the interior pass rush we used to have with Ogunjobi restored.

Can't complain about this drafty so far - like Free Agency it feels targeted towards our need areas. I still expect Estime tomorrow if he is on the board when they come up.
Reply/Quote
How we feelin', we alright? I was a bit surprised by the names (especially Jenkins and Burton) but not the positions. So I'm good. Really excited for tomorrow. If we wanted a TE, there'll be a plethora to choose from. I'm glad someone reached on Reiman... and I'm glad it wasn't us! Likewise for the RBs. I was never really a Corum-Lloyd-Brooks fan and they're all out of the way.

Long way to go but solid progress has been made already imo.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2024, 01:19 AM)tms Wrote: How we feelin', we alright? I was a bit surprised by the names (especially Jenkins and Burton) but not the positions. So I'm good. Really excited for tomorrow. If we wanted a TE, there'll be a plethora to choose from. I'm glad someone reached on Reiman... and I'm glad it wasn't us! Likewise for the RBs. I was never really a Corum-Lloyd-Brooks fan and they're all out of the way.

Long way to go but solid progress has been made already imo.

Im liking the positions picked and the players picked.

This may be our best draft in a whlile if these later rounds ball out. Still 2-3 TEs I like that would give me A grades if we got them with the next pick
-Housh
Reply/Quote
I think as far as Zac drafts the burrow Higgins draft was obviously amazing but a bit top heavy.
The Chase draft was definitely top heavy.
I thought last year was our best mid round draft as I liked the top 5 picks—but players need to develop like Turner.

This draft could end up being our best draft though. Love the first 4 picks and very important positions to secure.
Of course getting burrow and Higgins alone makes that our best draft probably ever, but this draft in 2024 is extremely important in terms of achieving sustained success and winning super bowls.
I like what they are doing and think this draft could end up being a home run and catalyst to multiple super bowls.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2024, 01:12 AM)Joelist Wrote: We've retooled the interior DL. Hill and Rankins are the pass rushing 3T rotation and Jenkins and Jackson are the run stopping NT rotation. When they go 5 man front expect it to be Hill, Rankins and Jenkins. This is a much more athletic interior than we had and it has the interior pass rush we used to have with Ogunjobi restored.

Can't complain about this drafty so far - like Free Agency it feels targeted towards our need areas. I still expect Estime tomorrow if he is on the board when they come up.

Im not sure how soon Jackson will be ready this season.   Hopefully he can develop.

Reply/Quote
(04-27-2024, 12:14 AM)Au165 Wrote: Welp now I’m curious what the plan is haha. Thats a lot of DT depth now.

We needed at least 2. We got two. 

Jackson is gonna the NT type. 

Rankins is the pass rushing 3T. 

Hill will do a little bit of both. 

Jenkins will too,,but leaning more towards run stopping. 

Carter & Tufele + will battle for the 5th spot + whomever we might pick up later (another oure NT or bring Tupou back).
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2024, 12:19 AM)Speedy Thomas Wrote: Man I love this draft.

Now tomorrow:  RB, TE, CB, IOL, LB, and for God's sake a punter.

This is where I am at. 

CB & IOL would be my highest priority. But TE or RB could sneak in there. LB & P later. 
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2024, 12:23 AM)Synric Wrote: Carter and Tufele on the other hand...

Bengals fans should not be surprised if they draft another NT on Day 3.

The guy from the Bearcats, with one of the 7ths.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
I will admit the Burton pick scares me a bit. I'd have went with Wilson or McCaffery, but there is more upside with Burton.

FWIW, Battle played with him for a year. I would hope we asked him at some point in the process.

Wilson & McCaffery are pure slot guys. If Burton hits, he has WR2/Higgins insurance potential.

My grades:
#18: Mims: A
#49: Jenkins: B+
#80: Burton: C (big swing: high ceiling low floor)
#97: Jackson: B

75% trenches I love. Two guys who are run stoppers on D plus a big swing at WR.

I'd also note that there are some good FA CBs out there (Gilmore, Nelson, etc). IOL too (Risner, C. Williams). Those would be my two highest priorities, draft wise.

But if we ink a FA, we could shift to TE or RB.

For #112:
CB: Tampa, Hart, Jackson, Brownlee
OG: Mahogany, McCormick
OC: Van-Pran, Bortolini
TE: Stover, Johnson, Sanders
RB: Wright, Allen, Estime

And for goodness sakes, we are not cutting BJ Hill.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2024, 02:05 AM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: I will admit the Burton pick scares me a bit. I'd have went with Wilson or McCaffery, but there is more upside with Burton.

FWIW, Battle played with him for two years. I would hope we asked him at some point in the process.

Wilson & McCaffery are pure slot guys. If Burton hits, he has WR2/Higgins insurance potential.

My grades:

I'd also note that there are some good FA CBs out there (Gilmore, Nelson, etc). IOL too (Risner, C. Williams). Those would be my two highest priorities, draft wise.

For #112:

Burton likely makes the biggest impact this season.  Jackson is defitniely a C or below for me.

Reply/Quote
(04-27-2024, 02:05 AM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: I will admit the Burton pick scares me a bit. I'd have went with Wilson or McCaffery, but there is more upside with Burton.

FWIW, Battle played with him for a year. I would hope we asked him at some point in the process.

My grades:

For #112:

Just tacking onto free agency a little.....with this year's FA haul, and the draft this far, the Bengals are quietly having a helluva off-season.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
I seriously want them to draft UC's Dee Wiggins in the 7th if he makes it there. And I want them to give him #85.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2024, 02:07 AM)casear2727 Wrote: Burton likely makes the biggest impact this season.  Jackson is defitniely a C or below for me.

I agree Burton makes the most impact this year. I don’t know anything about Jackson. Not expecting 5 sacks, I just want someone to slow the rush down. We will go 1-5 in the division if we can’t stop Chubb and Jackson/Henry
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2024, 09:45 AM)Ell Prez Wrote: I agree Burton makes the most impact this year. I don’t know anything about Jackson. Not expecting 5 sacks, I just want someone to slow the rush down. We will go 1-5 in the division if we can’t stop Chubb and Jackson/Henry

Steelers might be looking to run heavy as well with a combo of Fields/Harris.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2024, 09:45 AM)Ell Prez Wrote: I agree Burton makes the most impact this year. I don’t know anything about Jackson. Not expecting 5 sacks, I just want someone to slow the rush down. We will go 1-5 in the division if we can’t stop Chubb and Jackson/Henry

I caution high expectations for Jackson this year.  He may come on later in the season but I expect he needs some real development.  

Reply/Quote