Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
24 Hours With Zac Taylor
By ANDY BENOIT 
July 25, 2019

CINCINNATI — To many NFL fans and media, Zac Taylor is one of the most mysterious new head coaches in recent memory. Going from assistant wide receivers coach for the Rams in 2017 to head coach of the Bengals in ’19 represents—approximately—a 12-rung jump in power. But the 36-year-old Taylor is not utterly inexperienced; he has coached NFL quarterbacks for five years and called plays briefly for the Dolphins at the end of 2015 and for the University of Cincinnati in ’16. Still, there’s little book on the man tasked with reshaping the Bengals. To learn more about him, we followed him around on the job for a day at OTAs.

FULL ARTICLE
Reply/Quote
That was a fun read. Oh, by the way, my name is Doug. I took care of it! Cool

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-25-2019, 04:02 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: That was a fun read. Oh, by the way, my name is Doug. I took care of it! Cool

It was definitely an interesting read and I'm really excited about the things Taylor is doing.

I hate to bring up anything Marvin in a thread about Taylor, but from the article...

'Like any head coach, there are several changes Taylor wants to implement, but he doesn’t want to bombard management with all of them at once. One thing he has asked for are practice clocks. For 16 years, the Bengals ran practice without any visible clocks on the field. No one ever knew how much time remained in a given session; Lewis would monitor his watch and yell to begin and end drills.'

Given all the issues the Bengals have had with clock management over the years, I hope they've installed clocks everywhere!! Mellow
Reply/Quote
Love the article. Lot's I could say, but maybe my favorite part was where he thought he'd lost his morning's work and did not lose it.

I know I would have.

Hopefully a harbinger of a mentally tough coach to come.
Reply/Quote
Clocks...OMG...no wonder they sucked at time management. I like that he doesn't get flustered when things aren't going his way. He sounds extremely methodical but also willing to change things if it doesn't seem to be working. It will be fun (hopefully) watching him mature as a head coach

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
Loved the Shaggy part.

Reply/Quote
This guy spilled all the beans with the playbook detail. Hope no DC's read that article.

Nice find tho.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
Nice read Holic, thanks for posting.

Nice to read they're practicing late game clock management plays that has been way to big a bad issue here for years.
Reply/Quote
your best NFL coaches evolve and grow as coaches.
Lewis refused to evolve
Reply/Quote
I get a good feeling from ZT. At this point, it's not based on anything more than the vibe I get from him. He strikes me as a guy with good ideas who has his shit together. The job is not too big for him. I like pretty much everything I hear about how he does things. He's very organized and detail oriented. And he lives and breathes football.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(07-26-2019, 12:00 AM)McC Wrote: I get a good feeling from ZT.  At this point, it's not based on anything more than the vibe I get from him.  He strikes me as a guy with good ideas who has his shit together.  The job is not too big for him.  I like pretty much everything I hear about how he does things.  He's very organized and detail oriented.  And he lives and breathes football.

I got the same feeling watching video clips of him right after the hire--things that were already out there from past years. Just his demeanor and approach. Lot of good stuff in this article, though i'd rather they didn't explain what certain plays were from their verbiage...it was only a couple of them so it's not like anyone is going to know what they're doing. 

Overall, a lot of negativity with certain hires aside, the approach and planning look to be a welcome change from how things had been done with the previous regime. It will certainly be a shot of excitement if these changes are evident on the field when the balls start flying. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2019, 12:00 AM)McC Wrote: I get a good feeling from ZT.  At this point, it's not based on anything more than the vibe I get from him.  He strikes me as a guy with good ideas who has his shit together.  The job is not too big for him.  I like pretty much everything I hear about how he does things.  He's very organized and detail oriented.  And he lives and breathes football.

As do I

This team may flop like a fish this season, who knows ? But I can't help but think he's already got us headed in the right direction, a modern NFL direction.

At this point how well this team does this season is difficult to say. But more importantly I think we'll see a new confidence, a new spirit, a different drive, and a better attitude. Which will ultimately lead to winning.
Reply/Quote
(07-25-2019, 04:39 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: It was definitely an interesting read and I'm really excited about the things Taylor is doing.

I hate to bring up anything Marvin in a thread about Taylor, but from the article...

'Like any head coach, there are several changes Taylor wants to implement, but he doesn’t want to bombard management with all of them at once. One thing he has asked for are practice clocks. For 16 years, the Bengals ran practice without any visible clocks on the field. No one ever knew how much time remained in a given session; Lewis would monitor his watch and yell to begin and end drills.'

Given all the issues the Bengals have had with clock management over the years, I hope they've installed clocks everywhere!! Mellow

installing clocks is one thing but who is gonna manage them?

they need breaks too and batteries.
Reply/Quote
(07-25-2019, 11:40 PM)impactplaya Wrote: your best NFL coaches evolve and grow as coaches.
Lewis refused to evolve

cause he uses head and shoulders...

(if you get that reference you mind is as broken as mine)
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2019, 06:12 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: cause he uses head and shoulders...

(if you get that reference you mind is as broken as mine)

Lol I think they brought that movie to netflix a few months back.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
'Most of the Bengals’ plays come from Los Angeles, where McVay already established their names and backstories. “But I can’t bring myself to use Rams verbiage, we want to establish our own verbiage here in Cincy,” Taylor says.'

A few months ago, people were like: Taylor will come up with his own plays and not copy the Rams.
Reply/Quote
'The former Cincinnati Bearcat offensive lineman, who is affable and always one step ahead, gets his marching orders before Taylor has his daily meeting with Bengals owner Mike Brown, Executive Vice President Katie Blackburn, VP of Player Personnel Paul Brown Jr., Vice President Troy Blackburn and Director of Player Personnel Duke Tobin.'

I wonder how many other coaches meet with the owner and VP's of a team daily?
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2019, 10:19 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: 'The former Cincinnati Bearcat offensive lineman, who is affable and always one step ahead, gets his marching orders before Taylor has his daily meeting with Bengals owner Mike Brown, Executive Vice President Katie Blackburn, VP of Player Personnel Paul Brown Jr., Vice President Troy Blackburn and Director of Player Personnel Duke Tobin.'

That doesn’t concern me that they meet everyday. In fact, with all the changes that have been made, and so many more that needs made, I applaud it. Just wish he was meeting with people who were, well, smarter.

Reply/Quote
(07-27-2019, 08:47 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: That doesn’t concern me that they meet everyday. In fact, with all the changes that have been made, and so many more that needs made, I applaud it. Just wish he was meeting with people who were, well, smarter.

Yes - I agree with that all.

I want fresh, innovative ideas. I just hope they don't stifle him.
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2019, 10:19 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: 'The former Cincinnati Bearcat offensive lineman, who is affable and always one step ahead, gets his marching orders before Taylor has his daily meeting with Bengals owner Mike Brown, Executive Vice President Katie Blackburn, VP of Player Personnel Paul Brown Jr., Vice President Troy Blackburn and Director of Player Personnel Duke Tobin.'

Jason Garrett for certain, but I'm positive there are more.

Especially during the offseason, as this was.  Plans need to be adjusted daily as to who is and is not going to make the training camp roster.
Reply/Quote