Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
25 million
As much as this stinks, almost every team has overpriced, underperforming vets.

What hurts us is the commitment to the wrong guys. There are positions in this league that age a lot more gracefully. But a DT and DE? Those guys fall off dramatically when they reach 30-31.

It’s just bad football business. Which is the sort of football business we do.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2020, 08:46 PM)Bengalitis Wrote: Many fans here still think like Marvin. They want to keep aging, non-productive players.

I want a gif of your signature. When it happened I immediately thought of waterboy

https://memes.yarn.co/yarn-clip/547637e6-0f4e-45da-8a2c-a49a5312c549
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2020, 08:46 PM)Bengalitis Wrote: Many fans here still think like Marvin. They want to keep aging, non-productive players.

Agree. Gotta cut them loose. Not like they took us to 3SBs.

(10-18-2020, 08:52 PM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: As much as this stinks, almost every team has overpriced, underperforming vets.

What hurts us is the commitment to the wrong guys. There are positions in this league that age a lot more gracefully. But a DT and DE? Those guys fall off dramatically when they reach 30-31.

It’s just bad football business. Which is the sort of football business we do.

Yep. Nailed it. It’s gonna take a few years to clean this roster. But we’ve got some good youngens developing nicely.

Reply/Quote
(10-18-2020, 08:51 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I don't know how you set his market price at that amount, even if you value him greatly.

I can get on board with definitely wanting to keep him. (I love Gio, and I'm glad he's here.) Like I said though, I just don't get how they determined that was his worth.  It's like they didn't bother looking at any other RB contracts to set their offer.

His agent had to have been over the moon when it came through.  It's an unbelievable amount for a RB that hasn't hit 500 yards rushing since 2015. 

It's not that I see his market value as that amount.  It's that the team recognizes their own ineptitude in picking up another back to displace him, at a lower cost.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2020, 08:29 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: What are we paying Mixon to get three yards a carry?

Too much.

Reply/Quote
(10-18-2020, 07:57 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: 25 million and change. That’s how much we’re paying Geno and Dunlap. If your highest paid players give you virtually nothing you’re not going to win many games. Today was a clear cut case of our lack of pass rush costing us a game. The ease in which Rivers sat back and carved us up was embarrassing.

I love both those guys. Two of my favorite Bengals of all time, but I sincerely hope we move on from all these aging players (AJ too) next season. Can’t tie that much money up in over-the-hill players that aren’t producing anymore.

I fear Mike Brown being loyal to a fault will cost us several years of Burrow’s rookie contract.

Don't worry, I'm sure this offseason you'll get your wish. Been thinking that for a few weeks now, and after this game i'm positive of it. 

I'd had some hope we might be able to trade Dunlap at the deadline, but given his lousy play and contract that's going to be almost impossible. And flat out impossible for Geno. 

Lots of vets are going to get cut in the offseason due to the lower salary cap, making it a buyer's market. And we'll have more cap space than most other teams. I think we'll do in free agency. Despite how crappy this year is turning out, I always thought our next window doesn't open up until 2021 anyway, and I still think we're one good offseason from becoming competitive. 
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2020, 08:43 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I won't criticize them over Gio's contract.  When it appeared that Mixon was having foot issues, he was right there.  None of the other backs that we've had around in the past few years have been able to come close to unseating him as the RB2 and Change of Pace, 3rd down blocking back.

Although, when the camera focused on him after his TD, with that pron stache, he kinda put me in mind of Lamont Sanford.   Ninja

I like Gio, but that's way too much for insurance that barely touches the field. Agree to disagree. If you're going to pay the man that much, he should be contributing more than 4 carries in the first 4 weeks.

Tbh, I feel like he really could contribute if we ran more instead of passing 40 times per game and putting all the pressure on a young QB behind a bad line.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
And the Joe Mixon hate is inexplicable. Joe Mixon is an excellent back. I don’t normally advocate for big contracts for running back, but I was happy we gave Mixon what he wanted.

Reply/Quote
(10-18-2020, 08:22 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Imagine paying a guy more than 20 starting backs in the league to use him the way we do.

Gio Bernard had 4 carries on the season going into todays game.  4.

Un-freakin-believable.

(10-18-2020, 10:43 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I like Gio, but that's way too much for insurance that barely touches the field. Agree to disagree. If you're going to pay the man that much, he should be contributing more than 4 carries in the first 4 weeks.

Tbh, I feel like he really could contribute if we ran more instead of passing 40 times per game and putting all the pressure on a young QB behind a bad line.

I think both backs are being overpaid, but that's just me. I wanted to comment earlier but passed. Didn't want to take the thread off topic....

Ts, perhaps if the Bengals had a more diversified OC both backs would be used more effectively.  I look around the league and continually watch other teams use their second and even third backs with success. I thought that perhaps the coaches were going to do something akin to that when they dished out those two contracts. Sadly, that has not been the case.

Joe seemed to thrive in an offense that allowed him to check it down to Edwards-Helaire. Perhaps more two back sets could be beneficial... Call me crazy.
Reply/Quote
Just saw this screenshot of IG on Twitter. Seems dunlap doesn't like the defensive system currently being ran. Or at least his role as an OLB. 

Attached Files Image(s)

Reply/Quote
(10-18-2020, 11:26 PM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: And the Joe Mixon hate is inexplicable. Joe Mixon is an excellent back. I don’t normally advocate for big contracts for running back, but I was happy we gave Mixon what he wanted.

Is there Mixon hate? Seems more like frustration/disappointment. I don’t see him getting the Bobby Hart treatment or anything close to it.

Reply/Quote
(10-19-2020, 12:08 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Is there Mixon hate? Seems more like frustration/disappointment. I don’t see him getting the Bobby Hart treatment or anything close to it.

Maybe “hate” is a bit strong, but there are a lot of people here who are less than satisfied.

Reply/Quote
(10-18-2020, 11:57 PM)MasonDT70 Wrote: Just saw this screenshot of IG on Twitter. Seems dunlap doesn't like the defensive system currently being ran. Or at least his role as an OLB. 

Can’t see the screen shot, what’s it say?
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2020, 12:16 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Can’t see the screen shot, what’s it say?
I'll try to paraphrase real quick. 

Bengals account talking about bates being a beast, dunlap replied he should be in mvp race, fan replied to dunlap basically saying  the dline didn't get any pressure on rivers. Dunlap replies well I'm an OLB now with a bunch of laughing emojis and I'm guessing a whatever emoji.

I'm bad with emojis and social media as I rarely use it so hopefully that explains it enough. Its 100% possible I'm reading way too much into what he's saying.
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2020, 12:21 AM)MasonDT70 Wrote: I'll try to paraphrase real quick. 

Bengals account talking about bates being a beast, dunlap replied he should be in mvp race, fan replied to dunlap basically saying  the dline didn't get any pressure on rivers. Dunlap replies well I'm an OLB now with a bunch of laughing emojis and I'm guessing a whatever emoji.

I'm bad with emojis and social media as I rarely use it so hopefully that explains it enough. Its 100% possible I'm reading way too much into what he's saying.

Nah that explains it, basically indicating he feels the scheme is a joke. Can’t say I disagree with him there but he hasn’t gotten pressure whether in a stance or standing up.
Reply/Quote
How about we stop playing a 3-4?.... dunlap is not an olb.
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2020, 08:45 PM)BengalChris Wrote: The sent Whit and Zietler packing and see still see the effects of those mistakes on the OL.

Yeah, too bad the front office doers not have the gift of 20/20 hindsight that all the fans use to bash them.

In 2017 Geno had had 29 sacks and 67 QB hits over the previous three seasons.  He was one of the top 2 DTs in the league and we had NO young DT ready to take over his spot.  If the Bengals had NOT re-signed him fans would have crucified Brown. 
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2020, 08:45 PM)BengalChris Wrote: This is what happens when several of the front office's draft picks turn bust over several years. This just saps the depth out of the team and means there's no one is there to replacing aging stars.

The sent Whit and Zietler packing and see still see the effects of those mistakes on the OL.

(10-19-2020, 09:43 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Yeah, too bad the front office doers not have the gift of 20/20 hindsight that all the fans use to bash them.

In 2017 Geno had had 29 sacks and 67 QB hits over the previous three seasons.  He was one of the top 2 DTs in the league and we had NO young DT ready to take over his spot.  If the Bengals had NOT re-signed him fans would have crucified Brown. 

I believe my point was exactly the lack of young quality DTs to take over due to poor drafting.

You don't need hindsight when you draft quality players in the first few rounds. Those 2nd and 3rd rounds busts along the DL and the 1st and 2nd round busts on the OL sure are putting the squeeze on the Bengals.

I had no problem with the team re-signing Atkins or Dunlap. I'm not certain the problems are not coaching related.

Reply/Quote
(10-19-2020, 06:32 AM)Jpoore Wrote: How about we stop playing a 3-4?....  dunlap is not an olb.

Are you kidding? This board has been screaming for them to switch to a 3-4 for as long as I can remember. 
Reply/Quote
Least Green is working himself back into above average status

Dunlap and Atkins are done. Last year was the year to trade them
-Housh
Reply/Quote