Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Let that number sink in, because it’s the amount of points the Bengals have allowed per game on average in 2018. That’s awful and Cincinnati is one of the worst scoring defenses in the league. Now sure, playing Carolina and Atlanta can skew the scoring defense statistic because those teams can score a ridiculous amount of points but come on!

Yes, Cincinnati is 3-1 and for that I’m glad, especially with Vontaze Burfict out. But this defense, um, it’s terrible. Coverage on the back end is loose, the linebackers are nowhere to be found, and even the defensive line gets gashed a lot.

This defense may well be a work in progress but I wonder what Teryl Austin has in mind.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
The opposition's ability to convert on 3rd down with relative ease is most troublesome
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2018, 06:31 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: 28.25

Let that number sink in, because it’s the amount of points the Bengals have allowed per game on average in 2018.  That’s awful and Cincinnati is one of the worst scoring defenses in the league.  Now sure, playing Carolina and Atlanta can skew the scoring defense statistic because those teams can score a ridiculous amount of points but come on!  

Yes, Cincinnati is 3-1 and for that I’m glad, especially with Vontaze Burfict out.  But this defense, um, it’s terrible.  Coverage on the back end is loose, the linebackers are nowhere to be found, and even the defensive line gets gashed a lot.

This defense may well be a work in progress but I wonder what Teryl Austin has in mind.

I'd love to see the all 22 film because you can tell the secondary still isn't on the same page there were several blown coverages today !

Tackling was awful at times, lack of effort was a part of that. 

The D line is just baffling ???? I really thought that was gonna be a strength and by and large they're getting abused.

If we're to make any waves this season they have to get a lot better. As in leaps and bounds better.
Reply/Quote
I'm convinced Austin could not call a competent third down play if his life depended on it. It's genuinely sickening.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
I believe as of right now, it's the worst Bengals D I have ever seen. Feel free to correct me.

Reply/Quote
First thing I'd do is find a replacement for Dre Kirkpatrick, this guy is just awful
Reply/Quote
Yep, i've seen enough to be scared of what Austin brings.

We have given up points and yardage , our 3rd down D is horrendous. he should give thanks to Lazor otherwise we are 1-3.

we seem like 3 different units (DL,LB ,DB) who happen to be on same pitch at same time
Reply/Quote
WJ3 Hasn't looked super great either.

I'm interested to see how they do against the Dolphins next week with Burfict back. Hopefully there will be some improvement.
Reply/Quote
It’s bad. 3rd and 7 or 8 and there’s nobody near receivers. They just run to the marker turn around and bingo. Very little QB pressure. No TOs.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
I never understood the hire. Teryl had a great first year as the Lions DC, and then was bad the other three years.

Lions 2017 D: 27th in yards, 21st in scoring
Lions 2016 D: 18th in yards, 13th in scoring
Lions 2015 D: 18th in yards, 23rd in scoring

Now the Bengals can't cover, tackle, get off the field, or catch on defense, but hey... how about that "change"?

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2018, 06:46 PM)Atomic Orange Wrote: I believe as of right now, it's the worst Bengals D I have ever seen. Feel free to correct me.

I gotta think you weren't around for the 90's.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(09-30-2018, 06:46 PM)Atomic Orange Wrote: I believe as of right now, it's the worst Bengals D I have ever seen. Feel free to correct me.

They're in the running without a doubt

Pray Burfict brings it all together
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2018, 06:47 PM)bengals73 Wrote: First thing I'd do is find a replacement for Dre Kirkpatrick, this guy is just awful

Dre K was a liability today. Kinda has been for awhile. He has some fans on here, but I'm not buying his talent. Gotta do something with him. He's really not that good. Just a fast kid with a lot of drama.... And money.

Reply/Quote
(09-30-2018, 06:50 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: WJ3 Hasn't looked super great either.

I'm interested to see how they do against the Dolphins next week with Burfict back. Hopefully there will be some improvement.

I'm thinking this is Austin's doing.... Why is he lining up 15 yards deep.  He so good up close to the line.

Austin sucks and needs fired.
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2018, 06:53 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Dre K was a liability today. Kinda has been for awhile. He has some fans on here, but I'm not buying his talent. Gotta do something with him. He's really not that good. Just a fast kid with a lot of drama.... And money.

Bates was far and away the worst DB out there today.  Kid was routinely lost, got turned around on routes, didn't tackle well, and had numerous miscommunications with WJIII.
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2018, 07:20 PM)Whatever Wrote: Bates was far and away the worst DB out there today.  Kid was routinely lost, got turned around on routes, didn't tackle well, and had numerous miscommunications with WJIII.

I agree, but also seemed Jackson is struggling.

But, Falcons may be the best offense in the NFL, Gio did great, but we also had to throw 41 times with no Mixon. The TOP was lopsided so our defense who continues to play poor 3rd down defense was on the field a long long time
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
Yes, the D is indeed a week link this yr.....
I feel like our LBs don't have enough lead in their butts to stuff people,....aside from P Brown and Burfict. Bates has been puzzling...hes making tackles but non seem impactful.....and I am waiting for our Dline...especially Billings to show up like he did in preseason. Josh Topou actually looks solid and hoping Washington brings something to the mix....otherwise this is not sustainable.
Reply/Quote
Feel like I’m watching a Chuck Bresnahan defense, feel like we have to score every time to win. Funny last year we were last in offense and this year are denfense is terrible and are offense is great. Just having Bufict back won’t fix this mess. Hopefully Austin or the defense guru Marvin figures it out.
Reply/Quote
Not to make excuses, but they've played some very good offensive teams and the rules have been changed dramatically to definitely favor offenses. 
We're far from alone in seeing our defense take steps backwards. 
I'm not a fan of Austin, but I have a hunch that with the return of Burfict we'll at least have a shot of marked improvement IF he can play without attracting the ire of every ref in the games he's in .
At least we know  he's very good at getting players in the right positions presnap . How they do after the snap may be another story, but at least it's something to look forward to. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Burfict will help a bit, I have to think. There are LBs on the field like Nickerson and Evans that probably don't belong there. Tez
may make bad decisions after the whistle, but he's a coach on the field when it comes to knowing where players need to line up, assignments, etc.

As far as the secondary play, I think Austin takes the blame. This playing off of receivers is just not working. Atlanta might have the best receiving corps in the league, but it happened in Carolina as well. Carolina as without Olsen and has zero legitimate deep threats at the position. I'd like to see what 55 brings and perhaps hope that the players are just having issues digesting the scheme change with the new coordinator.

If this kind of play continue throughout the season, I think Austin needs to be sent packing. His scheme wasn't all that great in Detroit and it looks like a disaster so far in Cincinnati.
Reply/Quote