Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NJ Gov. Chris Christie Signs Law Punishing Boycotts of Israel
http://www.alternet.org/news-amp-politics/dangerous-precedent-free-speech-nj-gov-chris-christie-signs-law-punishing-boycotts?src=newsletter1062207

Quote:New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie has signed bipartisan-backed legislation that will punish groups that endorse a boycott of Israel in protest of its violations of Palestinian human rights. Christie, who is one of the most outspoken supporters of far-right Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump, signed the bill on Tuesday.

It requires the New Jersey government to identify companies that support a boycott of Israel, raising fears that it would create a “blacklist” of institutions that back the growing Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions, or BDS, movement.

Under the new law, the State Investment Council, which manages more than $80 billion in pension assets, is legally obligated to divest from these blacklisted companies.

Legal groups say the legislation is likely unconstitutional.

The state branch of the American Civil Liberties Union, or ACLU, blasted the legislation as “a dangerous precedent for New Jerseyans’ free speech.” It warned that the bills, S1923/A925, raise “serious constitutional concerns.”

“The ACLU-NJ strongly opposed this blacklist bill, and we now strongly oppose this blacklist law,” said Alexander Shalom, a senior staff attorney at the civil liberties group, in a statement.

“This legislation requires the state to punish companies because of the beliefs people there hold rather than any action they have taken,” he explained.

Shalom added, “Now, the New Jersey government will be authorized to open investigations into people’s speech and beliefs to tell whether a company’s choice not to do business with Israel was based on political beliefs or other reasons, and to punish companies based on what they find.”

Civil liberties groups have been monitoring the wave of anti-BDS legislation that has grown across the country, with the support of pro-Israel groups. The language in many of the bills is often very similar to that used in materials created by pro-Israel organizations.

There is a largely bipartisan consensus in support of these potentially unconstitutional bills, coming from both sides of the aisle. Gov. Christie is a hard-line Republican, but New Jersey’s Democrat-led legislature passed the bill by a sizeable majority in June.

Legal advocacy group Palestine Legal, which has been closely watching the government’s anti-BDS trend, slammed New Jersey’s new law.

Rahul Saksena, a staff attorney at Palestine Legal, told Salon the legislation “will require the state of New Jersey to investigate political viewpoints and withhold investments from companies based on those political viewpoints. In doing so, it will unconstitutionally punish and chill First Amendment-protected activity.”

“The right to speak out and to engage in robust debate about important political issues — including through boycotts — is a cornerstone of democracy and is enshrined in our Constitution,” he said.

Saksena added, “It’s alarming that Governor Christie has so eagerly trampled on this right.”

Christie stood by his decision. While signing the bill on Tuesday, he said, “Israel is the beacon of democracy in a region that is constantly in turmoil.” The governor noted that New Jersey does $1.3 billion in trade with Israel every year, and called it the U.S.’s “one, true and best friend.”

Supporters of the BDS movement say otherwise. Since 1967, Israel has maintained a military occupation of Palestinian territories, in blatant violation of international law. Moreover, hundreds of thousands of Israeli settlers continue to illegally colonize the occupied Palestinian West Bank.

In periodic wars, the Israeli military has killed thousands of Palestinians. And Israeli occupation forces, as the U.S. State Department has recognized, use excessive force against and torture Palestinian civilians, including children; destroy Palestinians’ property; and impose “severe restrictions” on their freedom.

Even within Israel, Palestinian citizens face extreme forms of institutionalized discrimination. Israeli rights group Adalah has documented more than 50 laws, enacted since the country was founded in 1948, that “directly or indirectly discriminate against Palestinian citizens of Israel in all areas of life.”

Supporters says the BDS movement is the only way to pressure Israel to cease violating Palestinian human rights and abide by international law.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Private parties can do whatever they want regarding doing business with companies that support boycotts of Israel.

Sate governments can not.

What if the State of New Jersey "blacklisted" all companies that provided birth control insurance coverage for their employees?
For the record, anyone that likes to call things fascist around here, this is a fascist law. It is authoritarian and nationalistic (the U.S. ties with Israel being seen as infallible).
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(08-21-2016, 02:17 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: For the record, anyone that likes to call things fascist around here, this is a fascist law. It is authoritarian and nationalistic (the U.S. ties with Israel being seen as infallible).

Borderline treasonous is what it is. Placing the interests of a foreign government above that of American citizens and their private market. But you're right it's very authoritarian.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Just to be sure that someone mentions it--it was a bi-partisan bill.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

(08-21-2016, 02:30 PM)McC Wrote: Just to be sure that someone mentions it--it was a bi-partisan bill.

Gotta cash in on them easy Christian votes.
(08-21-2016, 02:30 PM)McC Wrote: Just to be sure that someone mentions it--it was a bi-partisan bill.

So everyone is wrong.  Good point.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Anyone who knows anything about "Jersey" is not the least bit surprised by the passage of a pro Israel anything.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

(08-21-2016, 03:34 PM)McC Wrote: Anyone who knows anything about "Jersey" is not the least bit surprised by the passage of a pro Israel anything.
I thought they were all Italian.
Ninja

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk
(08-21-2016, 03:42 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: I thought they were all Italian.
Ninja

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

NJ is the suburbs of NYC.  Do the math.

Get the conversation back on track.
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
(08-21-2016, 08:16 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: Get the conversation back on track.

Is this an attempt at fat boy  christie-like authoritarian rule?
(08-21-2016, 02:17 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: For the record, anyone that likes to call things fascist around here, this is a fascist law. It is authoritarian and nationalistic (the U.S. ties with Israel being seen as infallible).

I dont see how this is nationalistic. 

I consider myself a nationalist utilitarian. And i dont come close to supporting this.

Even more evidence we need to move towards tri-partisan government.
(08-21-2016, 06:20 PM)McC Wrote: NJ is the suburbs of NYC.  Do the math.

So, It has something to do with what Jesse Jackson described ?
[Image: quote-that-s-all-hymie-wants-to-talk-abo...-56-32.jpg]

Anyway... this is a terrible piece of legislation and I'm extremely happy to see the ACLU on top of it.
(08-22-2016, 12:21 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: I dont see how this is nationalistic. 

I consider myself a nationalist utilitarian. And i dont come close to supporting this.

There are many different types of nationalism, and not all of them bad. Zionism in itself is a form of nationalism. But, perhaps more importantly, is the viewpoint of some people with regards to Zionism and tying it to the US identity. The reason I included that is because this law takes that approach as it smacks down free speech to express disdain not just for Israeli actions, but the US support thereof as well.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR