Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2nd Debate Scoreboard
(06-28-2019, 11:31 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: Right now, based upon clips and what I've read, the one I'm coming closest to supporting is Harris. That's tough for me to say because even though she is on the very edge of the range, she is still a Boomer and I have been saying since 2016 that I won't back a Boomer running for the White House. Call it ageist if you want, I'm just tired of Boomers ***** things up and think it's time for Gen X to get a shot before Millennials start taking over (since we can officially run for POTUS now).

She's in that weird not quite a boomer, not quite a Gen X area. She probably identifies more with Gen X-ers the same way someone born in 1981 identifies with them more than Millennials. 
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(06-28-2019, 11:31 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: Right now, based upon clips and what I've read, the one I'm coming closest to supporting is Harris. That's tough for me to say because even though she is on the very edge of the range, she is still a Boomer and I have been saying since 2016 that I won't back a Boomer running for the White House. Call it ageist if you want, I'm just tired of Boomers ***** things up and think it's time for Gen X to get a shot before Millennials start taking over (since we can officially run for POTUS now).

Woooow. Black don't crack indeed. I thought she was in her early 40s!
(06-28-2019, 11:48 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: She's in that weird not quite a boomer, not quite a Gen X area. She probably identifies more with Gen X-ers the same way someone born in 1981 identifies with them more than Millennials. 

I get that; as a Millennial with Boomer parents I'm one of those edge types even though I was born in '85. Her parents were of the Silent Generation, so it could go either way for her.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(06-28-2019, 11:44 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote:
I think calling the detailed policy proposals of the other candidates "superficial fixes" that don't address paying for healthcare is an incredibly silly statement and one made by someone completely out of their depth

In her flowery words and can do attitude, there's little substance in all of it that's relevant to what is needed. The fact that we have an qualified president who cannot speak well and is not empathetic doesn't mean we need an unqualified one who speaks well and is empathetic. 

Agree. Not disputing any of this.   It would be disturbing if a month from now she had double digit support.

Still, unqualified empathetic is better than unqualified sociopathic.
So far I'm on the Harris and Buttigieg trains.

I like Booker, and don't dislike Warren, but I don't know how they'd hold up in the general election.

Ready for Biden and Bernie to be gone.
Really wish someone would have called out Swalwell for wanting to nuke his own citizens. Missed opportunities
[Image: 85d8232ebbf088d606250ddec1641e7b.jpg]
(06-28-2019, 11:49 PM)Aquapod770 Wrote: Really wish someone would have called out Swalwell for wanting to nuke his own citizens. Missed opportunities

I think calling out Swalwell is a waste of breath.

That said, what are you referring to? I don't remember much of what he had to say.
(06-29-2019, 03:00 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I think calling out Swalwell is a waste of breath.

That said, what are you referring to? I don't remember much of what he had to say.

He tweeted in response to someone saying confiscating guns would lead to a war with "it would be a short war. The government has nukes". He back tracked and said it was a joke, which it probably was, but still a really bad joke. Joking about nuking your own citizens (especially ones with differing political views) is a really really bad look for someone who wants to be Commander and Chief. 
[Image: 85d8232ebbf088d606250ddec1641e7b.jpg]
(06-29-2019, 11:13 AM)Aquapod770 Wrote: He tweeted in response to someone saying confiscating guns would lead to a war with "it would be a short war. The government has nukes". He back tracked and said it was a joke, which it probably was, but still a really bad joke. Joking about nuking your own citizens (especially ones with differing political views) is a really really bad look for someone who wants to be Commander and Chief. 

Oh okay. I thought it was something he said during the debate.

And that is a bad joke. I think making jokes as a politician is just not a good idea. Trump does it all the time. "I want to be president for more than two terms. ha ha ha. I'm joking. But I bet those fake news people will report what I said verbatim!"

Swalwell has no chance regardless, so it's whatever.
What is a Boomer ? A baby boomer ? Being born in 1964 doesn't make you a boomer ?

BTW, I'm not amercian but I think I already stated that I was impressed with Mrs Harris way before the debate.

And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

(07-03-2019, 09:37 AM)Arturo Bandini Wrote: What is a Boomer ? A baby boomer ? Being born in 1964 doesn't make you a boomer ?

BTW, I'm not amercian but I think I already stated that I was impressed with Mrs Harris way before the debate.

Yes, a Baby Boomer. The generations are difficult to define. Putting hard lines on birth years isn't really effective, as it has a lot to do with how you experienced life during your formative years. The generation of your parents also plays a huge factor. Anyway, the cutoff for Boomers is generally the mid-'60s, so she is right on the line, there, to be in Generation X. But her parents are of the Silent Generation, which moves her a little more into the Boomer category.

Regardless, I'd like to see someone solidly from Generation X on the ballot. I'm a bit tired of folks running things that don't understand how growing up in the post-Vietnam era is different than what they experienced, because that changes the approach to a lot of things.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(07-03-2019, 09:50 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: Yes, a Baby Boomer. The generations are difficult to define. Putting hard lines on birth years isn't really effective, as it has a lot to do with how you experienced life during your formative years. The generation of your parents also plays a huge factor. Anyway, the cutoff for Boomers is generally the mid-'60s, so she is right on the line, there, to be in Generation X. But her parents are of the Silent Generation, which moves her a little more into the Boomer category.

Regardless, I'd like to see someone solidly from Generation X on the ballot. I'm a bit tired of folks running things that don't understand how growing up in the post-Vietnam era is different than what they experienced, because that changes the approach to a lot of things.

We didn't have the same baby booms Big Grin

In Europe, it is 1945-1950.

And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

(07-04-2019, 01:44 PM)Arturo Bandini Wrote: We didn't have the same baby booms Big Grin

In Europe, it is 1945-1950.

The WWII generation of European males stopped having sex after 1950. But Americans kept going.

I'm clearly a US Boomer, born in '51 to a father who was a WWII veteran. 

Anyone born on Jan.1, 1965, or after, is a Gen Xer.  That's when the next generation officially started, so Harris, born in '64, still counts as a boomer.