Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2nd Half Defense
(10-16-2022, 06:52 PM)TheFan Wrote: I feel like Jay is usually the man with stats. 

Right, but he didn’t say which team it was.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(10-16-2022, 05:45 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: We've played all backup qbs too except Lamar.

The lack of sacks is disturbing...

How many pass attempts did Saints have today? 15? Not like the dline had a chance to pin their ears back once we lost the game script
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2022, 06:52 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Right, but he didn’t say which team it was.

Ahhh I understand now. Sorry, booze brain
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2022, 06:52 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Right, but he didn’t say which team it was.

I think it was the Ravens - the last 6 games of their 2000 season. 
Reply/Quote
Yes,there is room for improvement,but this is a good defense.
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2022, 10:17 PM)ezekiel23 Wrote: Yes,there is room for improvement ,but this is a good defense.

I’d say. Gashed for 228 on the ground today. We sorely miss Reader.

Reply/Quote
(10-16-2022, 05:43 PM)TheCincinnatiKid Wrote: See, I think our defence this year is (in part) some of the best proof you'll see that stats don't mean a ton.

Take today for example. No 2nd half TDs. But they could not get off the field, and as a result, our offence HAD to score 14 points on 3 drives in an entire HALF to win the game (we scored 17, but 14 would've done it). There was very little room for margin for our offence as a result of the defence in the 2nd half today.

Weeks 1-5, I was a 'big defender' of the defence, mostly on the fact that the scoring defence was very good, and points are the aim of the game. But no doubt they did give up game winning drives.

Either way, 0 second half TDs in 6 weeks is pretty amazing a stat, and I do think the defence are a huge reason as to why we're still in the hunt this season. Don't think they did particularly great today, but they largely do the business imo.

Yep. 

They've been thrown on the 5th most times in the league, yet they lead the NFL in comp% against at 56.6 and they're 6th in YPA at 5.8, giving up only 5 TDs to 5 INTs, while only getting 9 sacks on the season (3rd least in the NFL). 

The run D took a hit today but they've still only given up 2 rush TDs, 2nd least in the league.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2022, 05:45 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: We've played all backup qbs too except Lamar.

So which is it? The Bengals D is only doing well because they've played backup QBs, or the Bengals never play well against backup QBs, because the latter is a well-worn narrative around here. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2022, 10:44 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: So which is it? The Bengals D is only doing well because they've played backup QBs, or the Bengals never play well against backup QBs, because the latter is a well-worn narrative around here. 

And if you look at what those teams have done since we played them they almost always had one of their lowest scoring games against us. Even Miami who's on their 3rd string. 
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2022, 10:32 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I’d say. Gashed for 228 on the ground today. We sorely miss Reader.

It's crazy, I've never seen a defense rely on 1 player more to shore up that facet of defense. 
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2022, 12:31 AM)MasonDT70 Wrote: It's crazy, I've never seen a defense rely on 1 player more to shore up that facet of defense. 

He’s a stud.

Reply/Quote
(10-16-2022, 05:36 PM)TheFan Wrote: Through 6 games and an OT our defense has still not given up a touchdown in the 2nd half. I'm not the best at looking up records/stats but I would assume not THAT many teams would be able to claim that in today's offensive NFL.

I understand our defense has struggled to close out games, although much of that could be attributed to the offenses lack of scoring points. Not giving up a touchdown for 13 quarters is impressive nonetheless and if the offensive continues to improve I think we could have another special year.

Beat me to the post...

Yep, I was going to say "One streak ended, another continues", in reference to Dalton's mini streak over the Bengals.

They were giving up a LOT of outside contain on running plays and that will need cleaned up, but it may have been by design.  They believe they have the speed at LB to make those plays, but focus on staying stout in the middle with Reader out.

Also, I think Tufele played a nice game.  Good to see him get some action.  Could end up being a real solid find. 
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2022, 05:49 PM)TheFan Wrote: Getting into a double digit deficit every single game makes it hard for the defense to pin their ears back and get after the QB. 

Don't get me wrong, the defense has been really bad about getting pressure but the 1 game where we actually got a double digit lead the defense got 4 sacks. 

I think teams are taking so much underneath that the ball gets out very quickly.  Teams have seen that when you challenge Cincy downfield it usually doesn't end well.  
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2022, 05:49 PM)TheFan Wrote: Getting into a double digit deficit every single game makes it hard for the defense to pin their ears back and get after the QB. 

Don't get me wrong, the defense has been really bad about getting pressure but the 1 game where we actually got a double digit lead the defense got 4 sacks. 

Taylor and Marvin have both said before:  You have to earn the right to rush the passer.  You get to tee off from all spots when you are way up and certain down and distances.  

They have scarcely had those situations.  

FWIW, I LOVE when they send Hilton or Bell.  Think those plays are more of a weapon than we realize and they don't go to it often.  
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2022, 12:31 AM)MasonDT70 Wrote: It's crazy, I've never seen a defense rely on 1 player more to shore up that facet of defense. 

That is why he is worth the money he earns, he's really good at his job.  Hard to replace a star player with someone off of the bench.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Going by the highlights, one of New Orleans first half TDs was a giveaway because of the punt fumble. On the other one, it looked like four guys missed tackles, but of course they tightened it up in the second half.
Reply/Quote
Next week will be similar to the Saints game. Atlanta loves to run the ball, and Mariota loves to run as well. They have looked pretty decent as well, they beat the 49ers on Sunday. Our defense will have to yet again come to play. I think they will.
It's easy to see the world in black and white. Grey? I don't know what to do with grey.

Reply/Quote
(10-16-2022, 05:45 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: We've played all backup qbs too except Lamar.

Trubisky: Starter
Rush: Backup
Flacco: Backup
Tua: Starter
Lamar: Starter
Andy: Backup (but barring falling off the rails, starter for the rest of the year)

We have not played all backups. Arguably, Tua stays in the game, we blow them out instead of winning by barely 2 scores.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2022, 09:52 AM)Garrus Wrote: Next week will be similar to the Saints game. Atlanta loves to run the ball, and Mariota loves to run as well. They have looked pretty decent as well, they beat the 49ers on Sunday. Our defense will have to yet again come to play. I think they will.

They don't have Patterson anymore though, so they've lost dynamic-ness from their run game.

If either Tupou or Reader (unlikely) plays, I think we'll be ok: they are NOT like the Saints in terms of personnel and have a worse OL to boot.

EDIT* For example, their non-QB runs went 34 for 118, which is 3.4 YPC. They don't have a stud RB like Kamara and they don't have a gadget QB like Hill, thus Mariota's running is a bit more predictable.

Not saying we win 100% of course, but this is a different sitch… and we're at home.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2022, 11:14 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: They don't have Patterson anymore though, so they've lost dynamic-ness from their run game.

If either Tupou or Reader (unlikely) plays, I think we'll be ok: they are NOT like the Saints in terms of personnel and have a worse OL to boot.

EDIT* For example, their non-QB runs went 34 for 118, which is 3.4 YPC. They don't have a stud RB like Kamara and they don't have a gadget QB like Hill, thus Mariota's running is a bit more predictable.

Not saying we win 100% of course, but this is a different sitch… and we're at home.

Yea, should be similar to defending the Ravens which we've done fairly well containing. 
Reply/Quote