Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
2nd Qtr / Prevent D
Rivers went for 264 and 2 TDs in the 2nd qtr.. I noticed we went to a 3 down lineman Prevent defense and this was when it all went wrong. You have to pressure Rivers or this happens. It was his biggest quarter in his career. That's telling. I would just like to know who made the call to go prevent? Zack or Lou? It was our undoing...
Reply/Quote
This has been an issue since long before coach Lou, sadly. But him keeping it alive is sickening. I never want to see the prevent again unless we are up 3 TDs with 2 minutes left in the 4th.
Reply/Quote
I imagine it was Lou but yeah that was the turning point. The Colts are already a difficult team to pass rush but only sending three is a death sentence.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
We lost a Super Bowl going prevent D.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
To further emphasize your point, Philip Rivers gets extremely skittish every time he’s pressured and we saw that today. He gets “happy feet” and he doesn’t run very well. Even a little pressure rattled him.
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2020, 11:34 PM)Goalpost Wrote: We lost a Super Bowl going prevent D.

...against Joe Montana, Jerry Rice, and John Taylor.
Reply/Quote
It's tradition....
Reply/Quote
Lou.should have crowded the LOS and kept the oline guessing on.who.to.pick.up. Kinda like how the Ravens did to.us.
But he is clueless too
Reply/Quote
For a looooooong time now, Ive watched the prevent D prevent us from winning games we shouldve won. I think thats what prevent really means at this point. Im over it and have been for 15 years at least. In today's game you have to play to win. When we got a 21 point lead we should've blitzed the hell out of Rivers. But nope, our cheesy cuddly coaches decided to be anti-smart and prevent us from winning instead.

I would love to see about 60,000 fans write letters saying something like "if you ever run tha stupid defense again, we are all quitting our fandom." There is nothing more stupid than watching the Bengals run the prevent. Even back when our D was good, our prevent was horrible. Maybe it was useful in the 1950's but it sucks now.
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2020, 01:20 AM)bengaloo Wrote: For a looooooong time now, Ive watched the prevent D prevent us from winning games we shouldve won. I think thats what prevent really means at this point. Im over it and have been for 15 years at least. In today's game you have to play to win. When we got a 21 point lead we should've blitzed the hell out of Rivers. But nope, our cheesy cuddly coaches decided to be anti-smart and prevent us from winning instead.

I would love to see about 60,000 fans write letters saying something like "if you ever run tha stupid defense again, we are all quitting our fandom." There is nothing more stupid than watching the Bengals run the prevent. Even back when our D was good, our prevent was horrible. Maybe it was useful in the 1950's but it sucks now.

I think that's a big part of it. It's basically useless in today's game.
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2020, 01:20 AM)bengaloo Wrote: For a looooooong time now, Ive watched the prevent D prevent us from winning games we shouldve won. I think thats what prevent really means at this point. Im over it and have been for 15 years at least. In today's game you have to play to win. When we got a 21 point lead we should've blitzed the hell out of Rivers. But nope, our cheesy cuddly coaches decided to be anti-smart and prevent us from winning instead.

It's especially frustrating when you consider that we had back to back three in outs playing in your face press coverage.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
Our base D seems to be good. Prevent D is absolutely hideous thoughts?
Reply/Quote
Do you know of any “good” prevent defenses?
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
There's an old saying about prevent defenses. All they do is prevent your team from winning.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
A prevent defense prevents field goals but allows touchdowns.
Reply/Quote
My first thought was,is he deliberately trying to lose us this game? Maybe he wants Zacs job? After it fails repeatedly he just stays with it?!?! Ugh,sometimes you need to make adjustments? Wow.This coaching staff has lost it.
Reply/Quote
To play a prevent effectively you are sacrificing yardage for time. Opposition scores quickly way to much so we are not very effective running it. Mahomes could get the ball at his own 12 with 40 seconds and 3 timeouts against our D and Mahomes getting a TD would be a slight favorite FG is pretty much a guarantee
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2020, 09:07 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: There's an old saying about prevent defenses.  All they do is prevent your team from winning.

:andy: :andy: :andy:
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2020, 09:03 AM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: Do you know of any “good” prevent defenses?

No, I do not.. It just made me think because I watch all the Zacks press conferences and He literally just said last week "when a team gets a 2 score lead, the defense will pin their ears back and blitz continously.. We got injured D lineman everywhere and this guy just puts 3 down lineman and no blitzing.. It mad no sense of course Rivers is gonna rip us apart..
Reply/Quote
Prevent D has been a major problem with this team for 18 years now
Reply/Quote