Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2nd round WRs should they get Sewell
I have compiled a short list of WRs that could be available when the Bengals select in Rd 2.  Feel free to add anyone that you like at that spot.  

In no particular order:

Rashod Bateman-  With him just reportedly running a 4.39 in his Pro Day, there is a very good chance the versatile Bateman would be selected in the first round.  If he is there in Rd 2, I really like him.  Great size (6'2" and 215 lbs) and an excellent route runner.  

Kadarius Toney- Likely a slot WR, and not a huge catch radius, Toney will have his fans because of his incredible speed and change-of-direction ability.  He's only 5'10 (if that) but a solid 195 lbs.  Many have him as a first rounder, but I do not.  However, with Rodale Moore measuring in at just 5'7", he could move up on someone's boards that was previously in love with Moore.

Anthony Schwardz- Another blazer, but a bit taller than Toney at 6'0".  Crazy speed, but didn't get to showcase a full route tree at Auburn with Gus's high school offense.  A solid hands-catcher, better than Toney, IMHO.  He's ony about 185 lbs, but has been pretty healthy in his career in the SEC.  I view him a bit like Moore and Toney...but I like him the best of the three.  I wish he would have played at the Senior Bowl.  I think if he would have demonstrated the ability to run all the routes and have excellent adaptation of what is required, it could have vaulted him up draft boards.  

Terrace Marshall-  LSU was so loaded at WR that is is amazing that he was able to compile 23 TDs in the last two seasons.  He is a long strider with really good long speed.  Could play X or slot, but was used a lot in the slot at LSU.  (Note:  People said the same thing about Jefferson and he did incredibly well playing outside in Minnesota).  Fits the mold of a Bengal's 2nd round WR as he has great upside and isn't a finished product.  They also tend to like bigger WRs and the failure of Ross is only likely to further entrench them in the camp of a player like Marshall or Bateman.

Nico Collins- Hampered production from horrible QB play, when he did get his hands on the ball it was typically a big play.  A big, strong WR at 6'4" and 220 lbs, his main weapon is his physicality.  Contested catches are his forte.  That being said, he ran a 4.43 and had a surprising 6.71 in the three cone drill.  I didn't see that coming as I felt like his change of direction was a weakness, not a strength.  More of that Michigan stupid offense?  I feel for this guy because had he played at a team like Ohio State (not trying to homer here) or a team with even a decent QB, he would have been a first round pick.  Big WRs like him are not common and some team that has a need for a guaranteed chain mover will be all over him.  I am not certain how much he fits the Bengals, as I would really still prefer a Marshall or Bateman over him, but I don't see the difference being tremendous and any of those three would be strong options in Rd 2 should they be there for the Bengals.

D'Wayne Eskridge- I know, I know...it is the wacky- MAC in me, but what this guy showed at the Senior Bowl has to put him on this list.  No, I don't see him as a great fit for the Bengals...he is another Moore, Toney, etc-type that has crazy change of direction ability and he's got a chip on his shoulder toughness that I love about him. If somehow he slips to the 4th round, I am all over him, even though we already have Tyler Boyd in the slot.  He's only 5'9" but he's a solid 190 lbs and tough as nails.  I will be pissed if this guy ends up in that state to the east.  He has run a 4.33 before, and ran a 4.38 on his pro day in cold weather.  He feels he is a 4.29 guy.  His team needed help at CB so he split time at WR and still had a whopping 784 yards on just 34 receptions.  He returns and covers kicks as well.  A real Swiss-Army Knife.  I love this kid and I generally don't like shorter WRs, but he is like Adam Jones without the issues but for offense.  Love him.  

My wish is still to go with Chase and get a developmental tackle like Carman or Leatherwood in Rd 2 to start at RG and try to develop as an OT down the road, if I had to choose a WR to pair with the first round selection of Sewell, I would go Marshall, Bateman, and Collins in that order.  The reason I like Marshall is he did it against the best defenses and in just 7 games in 2020 with a tremendous drop-off in QB talent compared to 2019, he still hauled in 48 receptions for 731 yards and 10 TDs.

Thoughts?  Additions?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I’m a big fan of taking Amon-Ra St. Brown if he is available here. He honestly reminds me a lot of Boyd. Crisp routes, strong hands with above average athleticism. I like the idea due to his versatility, just like Boyd. Brown can play both slot and Z, just like Boyd, so we would be locking Higgins into the X with state being his backup, and then Boyd/St. Brown rotate in and out of slot/Z. I would personally have Boyd man the slot the majority of the team due to his already displayed success and have St. Brown at Z, but the flexibility is really nice.
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2021, 11:50 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I have compiled a short list of WRs that could be available when the Bengals select in Rd 2.  Feel free to add anyone that you like at that spot.  

In no particular order:

Rashod Bateman-  With him just reportedly running a 4.39 in his Pro Day, there is a very good chance the versatile Bateman would be selected in the first round.  If he is there in Rd 2, I really like him.  Great size (6'2" and 215 lbs) and an excellent route runner.  

Kadarius Toney- Likely a slot WR, and not a huge catch radius, Toney will have his fans because of his incredible speed and change-of-direction ability.  He's only 5'10 (if that) but a solid 195 lbs.  Many have him as a first rounder, but I do not.  However, with Rodale Moore measuring in at just 5'7", he could move up on someone's boards that was previously in love with Moore.

Anthony Schwardz- Another blazer, but a bit taller than Toney at 6'0".  Crazy speed, but didn't get to showcase a full route tree at Auburn with Gus's high school offense.  A solid hands-catcher, better than Toney, IMHO.  He's ony about 185 lbs, but has been pretty healthy in his career in the SEC.  I view him a bit like Moore and Toney...but I like him the best of the three.  I wish he would have played at the Senior Bowl.  I think if he would have demonstrated the ability to run all the routes and have excellent adaptation of what is required, it could have vaulted him up draft boards.  

Terrace Marshall-  LSU was so loaded at WR that is is amazing that he was able to compile 23 TDs in the last two seasons.  He is a long strider with really good long speed.  Could play X or slot, but was used a lot in the slot at LSU.  (Note:  People said the same thing about Jefferson and he did incredibly well playing outside in Minnesota).  Fits the mold of a Bengal's 2nd round WR as he has great upside and isn't a finished product.  They also tend to like bigger WRs and the failure of Ross is only likely to further entrench them in the camp of a player like Marshall or Bateman.

Nico Collins- Hampered production from horrible QB play, when he did get his hands on the ball it was typically a big play.  A big, strong WR at 6'4" and 220 lbs, his main weapon is his physicality.  Contested catches are his forte.  That being said, he ran a 4.43 and had a surprising 6.71 in the three cone drill.  I didn't see that coming as I felt like his change of direction was a weakness, not a strength.  More of that Michigan stupid offense?  I feel for this guy because had he played at a team like Ohio State (not trying to homer here) or a team with even a decent QB, he would have been a first round pick.  Big WRs like him are not common and some team that has a need for a guaranteed chain mover will be all over him.  I am not certain how much he fits the Bengals, as I would really still prefer a Marshall or Bateman over him, but I don't see the difference being tremendous and any of those three would be strong options in Rd 2 should they be there for the Bengals.

D'Wayne Eskridge- I know, I know...it is the wacky- MAC in me, but what this guy showed at the Senior Bowl has to put him on this list.  No, I don't see him as a great fit for the Bengals...he is another Moore, Toney, etc-type that has crazy change of direction ability and he's got a chip on his shoulder toughness that I love about him. If somehow he slips to the 4th round, I am all over him, even though we already have Tyler Boyd in the slot.  He's only 5'9" but he's a solid 190 lbs and tough as nails.  I will be pissed if this guy ends up in that state to the east.  He has run a 4.33 before, and ran a 4.38 on his pro day in cold weather.  He feels he is a 4.29 guy.  His team needed help at CB so he split time at WR and still had a whopping 784 yards on just 34 receptions.  He returns and covers kicks as well.  A real Swiss-Army Knife.  I love this kid and I generally don't like shorter WRs, but he is like Adam Jones without the issues but for offense.  Love him.  

My wish is still to go with Chase and get a developmental tackle like Carman or Leatherwood in Rd 2 to start at RG and try to develop as an OT down the road, if I had to choose a WR to pair with the first round selection of Sewell, I would go Marshall, Bateman, and Collins in that order.  The reason I like Marshall is he did it against the best defenses and in just 7 games in 2020 with a tremendous drop-off in QB talent compared to 2019, he still hauled in 48 receptions for 731 yards and 10 TDs.

Thoughts?  Additions?

Seems like a good list of WR's who will be there in the 2nd to me, but I'm with you on the last part. I'm in favor of taking Chase in the 1st and then a guy like Leatherwood, Mayfield, etc in the 2nd. Depending on who is there of course. I've seen a few mocks where Sewell could go to Atlanta. 
Reply/Quote
Jalen Darden
Reply/Quote
Dyami Brown UNC. If we actually wait till rd 3 for WR I would look at Brown. He has got some of the best releases of any receiver in this draft class, he also has a career depth of target of 17.1 (Bateman 13.7 as a comparison). He was asked to get vertical often in UNCs offense but he can win underneath and intermediate as well.
Reply/Quote
Marshall seems like the type of guy they'd like. He'd could be a solid 2 or 3 and isn't projecting as a straight-up slot guy like a lot of the others.
Reply/Quote
I don't really like any of the 2nd round WRs. None of them seem like a good value, they seem like guys you take in the 2nd round because you need a WR and they're the best left.

Meanwhile there looks like there is going to be a lot of good value OL there at the top of the 2nd. Guys who could have been late 1sts in a less deep year.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
QBs and WRs will fly off the board early in Round 1, because the talent is there, and because from High school to NFL teams are using 4 WR Sets. The days of 2 WR sets are ancient history. So instead I ask, what O Lineman do we take in 3 after we take Chase or Pitts or Heisman Smith of rare talents out of SEC. Why 3 at O Line. This is a rare class of Linebackers per scouts, better than most years. Bengals only have 4 LB's and that is too few, and not all that good. A rich Draft of LBs means we can get a great one if we take one early. Bill Bergey was a round 2 pick LB. WR, LB, and then at top of round 3 there should be a very good Guard, Center or Tackle that would be like a 2nd round because we draft so high at pick 5. I say we get a Great WR, a Great LB and still get a Great Blocker, all by pick 3 in round 5, and that ain't bad. I was all for Sewell until we got Raiff, but now I'm all for WR, then LB, then O Line and still top of round 4 and draft to go for more help at positions.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2021, 03:41 PM)kevin Wrote: QBs and WRs will fly off the board early in Round 1, because the talent is there, and because from High school to NFL teams are using 4 WR Sets.  The days of 2 WR sets are ancient history.  So instead I ask, what O Lineman do we take in 3 after we take Chase or Pitts or Heisman  Smith of rare talents out of SEC.  Why 3 at O Line.  This is a rare class of Linebackers per scouts, better than most years.  Bengals only have 4 LB's and that is too few, and not all that good.  A rich Draft of LBs means we can get a great one if we take one early. Bill Bergey was a round 2 pick LB.  WR, LB, and then at top of round 3 there should be a very good Guard, Center or Tackle that would be like a 2nd round because we draft so high at pick 5.  I say we get a Great WR, a Great LB and still get a Great Blocker, all by pick 3 in round 5, and that ain't bad.  I was all for Sewell until we got Raiff, but now I'm all for WR, then LB, then O Line and still top of round 4 and draft to go for more help at positions.

If we did get a LB I would be all for Jabril Cox. Dude is a beast in coverage (zone or Man). Has good size 6'4 230, and should run well at this pro day.

Since this site LOVES PFF Grades.... last 3 years (2 at NDSU and 1 at LSU) Cox earned coverage grades of 87.4 (2018), 85.2(2019) and 83.5 (2020)
Reply/Quote
I think that the bulk of those guys on the list provided, will be available in later rounds, along with other, just as talented players like Dyami Brown.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I say nab Tee's college teammate Amari Rodgers in the 3rd.
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2021, 01:34 PM)willieFANderson Wrote: Jalen Darden

I love Darden but not in round 2.
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2021, 11:50 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I have compiled a short list of WRs that could be available when the Bengals select in Rd 2.  Feel free to add anyone that you like at that spot.  

In no particular order:

Thoughts?  Additions

Tylan Wallace and Dyami Brown should be added.  I think they will be targeting Smith Marsette later on.
Reply/Quote
Elijah moore will probably be an option in rd 2 as well if we go wr. Depends on who is there but I'd rather double dip on oline rds 1 and 2. Several tackles that could also play guard that are in the late 1 or early 2 convo.
Reply/Quote
Personally if we walk away from the first round with Chase, Sewell, or Pitts I’ll be pretty happy. We know one will be available as Lawrence and bare minimum the 49ers are taking a QB. But if we don’t go Sewell we really need a offensive lineman in the second.
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2021, 06:17 PM)Mark123 Wrote: I say nab Tee's college teammate Amari Rodgers in the 3rd.

Amari Rodgers is a slot WR we already have that covered we need an outside guy with speed to burn. Rodgers does not fit that profile and  wont be drafted that high more than likely anyways.
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2021, 02:48 PM)Fulcher_33 Wrote: Dyami Brown UNC. If we actually wait till rd 3 for WR I would look at Brown. He has got some of the best releases of any receiver in this draft class, he also has a career depth of target of 17.1 (Bateman 13.7 as a comparison). He was asked to get vertical often in UNCs offense but he can win underneath and intermediate as well.

That's a pretty good one.  My only pause is level of competition on defense that he played against, but I love his speed and toughness.  I think he would be a really good option if he is there in Rd 3, but I would want a more polished route runner at the top of round 2.  

I like him, though.  Love his near-instant speed.  
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2021, 07:31 PM)mikey6866 Wrote: Elijah moore will probably be an option in rd 2 as well if we go wr.   Depends on who is there but I'd rather double dip on oline rds 1 and 2.  Several tackles that could also play guard that are in the late 1 or early 2 convo.

I like Moore, but I would rather not use our 2nd round pick on a guy that is going to be best served playing in the slot.  
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2021, 06:17 PM)Mark123 Wrote: I say nab Tee's college teammate Amari Rodgers in the 3rd.

A 5 foot 9, senior wr who had acl surgery in 2020 at the top of the 3rd round, with all the other wrs out there, would be as bad as the sample pick.
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2021, 09:14 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: That's a pretty good one.  My only pause is level of competition on defense that he played against, but I love his speed and toughness.  I think he would be a really good option if he is there in Rd 3, but I would want a more polished route runner at the top of round 2.  

I like him, though.  Love his near-instant speed.  

I wouldn't be worried about that. They play in the ACC and played a similar schedule to that of Clemson, do we have concerns about Clemson players being drafted due to their competition? 
Reply/Quote