Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2nd round WRs should they get Sewell
I like the idea of Dyami Brown in the 2nd, especially if NFL teams view him the same way Chris Simms does. He's the vertical threat that we're missing.

There's also Elijah Moore, Rondale Moore, Amon-Ra St. Brown, D'Wayne Eskridge, Tutu Atwell and Anthony Schwartz would all fill that vertical threat role that we've been missing but they each have their own variety of issues, many of them being size issues (the Bengals don't typically draft sub-6'0" WRs).
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2021, 11:50 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I have compiled a short list of WRs that could be available when the Bengals select in Rd 2.  Feel free to add anyone that you like at that spot.  

In no particular order:

Rashod Bateman-  With him just reportedly running a 4.39 in his Pro Day, there is a very good chance the versatile Bateman would be selected in the first round.  If he is there in Rd 2, I really like him.  Great size (6'2" and 215 lbs) and an excellent route runner.  

Kadarius Toney- Likely a slot WR, and not a huge catch radius, Toney will have his fans because of his incredible speed and change-of-direction ability.  He's only 5'10 (if that) but a solid 195 lbs.  Many have him as a first rounder, but I do not.  However, with Rodale Moore measuring in at just 5'7", he could move up on someone's boards that was previously in love with Moore.

Anthony Schwardz- Another blazer, but a bit taller than Toney at 6'0".  Crazy speed, but didn't get to showcase a full route tree at Auburn with Gus's high school offense.  A solid hands-catcher, better than Toney, IMHO.  He's ony about 185 lbs, but has been pretty healthy in his career in the SEC.  I view him a bit like Moore and Toney...but I like him the best of the three.  I wish he would have played at the Senior Bowl.  I think if he would have demonstrated the ability to run all the routes and have excellent adaptation of what is required, it could have vaulted him up draft boards.  

Terrace Marshall-  LSU was so loaded at WR that is is amazing that he was able to compile 23 TDs in the last two seasons.  He is a long strider with really good long speed.  Could play X or slot, but was used a lot in the slot at LSU.  (Note:  People said the same thing about Jefferson and he did incredibly well playing outside in Minnesota).  Fits the mold of a Bengal's 2nd round WR as he has great upside and isn't a finished product.  They also tend to like bigger WRs and the failure of Ross is only likely to further entrench them in the camp of a player like Marshall or Bateman.

Nico Collins- Hampered production from horrible QB play, when he did get his hands on the ball it was typically a big play.  A big, strong WR at 6'4" and 220 lbs, his main weapon is his physicality.  Contested catches are his forte.  That being said, he ran a 4.43 and had a surprising 6.71 in the three cone drill.  I didn't see that coming as I felt like his change of direction was a weakness, not a strength.  More of that Michigan stupid offense?  I feel for this guy because had he played at a team like Ohio State (not trying to homer here) or a team with even a decent QB, he would have been a first round pick.  Big WRs like him are not common and some team that has a need for a guaranteed chain mover will be all over him.  I am not certain how much he fits the Bengals, as I would really still prefer a Marshall or Bateman over him, but I don't see the difference being tremendous and any of those three would be strong options in Rd 2 should they be there for the Bengals.

D'Wayne Eskridge- I know, I know...it is the wacky- MAC in me, but what this guy showed at the Senior Bowl has to put him on this list.  No, I don't see him as a great fit for the Bengals...he is another Moore, Toney, etc-type that has crazy change of direction ability and he's got a chip on his shoulder toughness that I love about him. If somehow he slips to the 4th round, I am all over him, even though we already have Tyler Boyd in the slot.  He's only 5'9" but he's a solid 190 lbs and tough as nails.  I will be pissed if this guy ends up in that state to the east.  He has run a 4.33 before, and ran a 4.38 on his pro day in cold weather.  He feels he is a 4.29 guy.  His team needed help at CB so he split time at WR and still had a whopping 784 yards on just 34 receptions.  He returns and covers kicks as well.  A real Swiss-Army Knife.  I love this kid and I generally don't like shorter WRs, but he is like Adam Jones without the issues but for offense.  Love him.  

My wish is still to go with Chase and get a developmental tackle like Carman or Leatherwood in Rd 2 to start at RG and try to develop as an OT down the road, if I had to choose a WR to pair with the first round selection of Sewell, I would go Marshall, Bateman, and Collins in that order.  The reason I like Marshall is he did it against the best defenses and in just 7 games in 2020 with a tremendous drop-off in QB talent compared to 2019, he still hauled in 48 receptions for 731 yards and 10 TDs.

Thoughts?  Additions?

Bateman or Marshall in the 2nd for me.
Reply/Quote
I like Marshall but I think there will be a lot of quality WRs in the 2nd round to choose from but will not matter if we don;t take care of business in 1st round so draft Sewell or Slater to be honest or it does not matter as much what WR/TE we draft since Burrow will continue to struggle under pressure.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2021, 11:50 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I have compiled a short list of WRs that could be available when the Bengals select in Rd 2.  Feel free to add anyone that you like at that spot.  

In no particular order:

Rashod Bateman-  With him just reportedly running a 4.39 in his Pro Day, there is a very good chance the versatile Bateman would be selected in the first round.  If he is there in Rd 2, I really like him.  Great size (6'2" and 215 lbs) and an excellent route runner.  

Kadarius Toney- Likely a slot WR, and not a huge catch radius, Toney will have his fans because of his incredible speed and change-of-direction ability.  He's only 5'10 (if that) but a solid 195 lbs.  Many have him as a first rounder, but I do not.  However, with Rodale Moore measuring in at just 5'7", he could move up on someone's boards that was previously in love with Moore.

Anthony Schwardz- Another blazer, but a bit taller than Toney at 6'0".  Crazy speed, but didn't get to showcase a full route tree at Auburn with Gus's high school offense.  A solid hands-catcher, better than Toney, IMHO.  He's ony about 185 lbs, but has been pretty healthy in his career in the SEC.  I view him a bit like Moore and Toney...but I like him the best of the three.  I wish he would have played at the Senior Bowl.  I think if he would have demonstrated the ability to run all the routes and have excellent adaptation of what is required, it could have vaulted him up draft boards.  

Terrace Marshall-  LSU was so loaded at WR that is is amazing that he was able to compile 23 TDs in the last two seasons.  He is a long strider with really good long speed.  Could play X or slot, but was used a lot in the slot at LSU.  (Note:  People said the same thing about Jefferson and he did incredibly well playing outside in Minnesota).  Fits the mold of a Bengal's 2nd round WR as he has great upside and isn't a finished product.  They also tend to like bigger WRs and the failure of Ross is only likely to further entrench them in the camp of a player like Marshall or Bateman.

Nico Collins- Hampered production from horrible QB play, when he did get his hands on the ball it was typically a big play.  A big, strong WR at 6'4" and 220 lbs, his main weapon is his physicality.  Contested catches are his forte.  That being said, he ran a 4.43 and had a surprising 6.71 in the three cone drill.  I didn't see that coming as I felt like his change of direction was a weakness, not a strength.  More of that Michigan stupid offense?  I feel for this guy because had he played at a team like Ohio State (not trying to homer here) or a team with even a decent QB, he would have been a first round pick.  Big WRs like him are not common and some team that has a need for a guaranteed chain mover will be all over him.  I am not certain how much he fits the Bengals, as I would really still prefer a Marshall or Bateman over him, but I don't see the difference being tremendous and any of those three would be strong options in Rd 2 should they be there for the Bengals.

D'Wayne Eskridge- I know, I know...it is the wacky- MAC in me, but what this guy showed at the Senior Bowl has to put him on this list.  No, I don't see him as a great fit for the Bengals...he is another Moore, Toney, etc-type that has crazy change of direction ability and he's got a chip on his shoulder toughness that I love about him. If somehow he slips to the 4th round, I am all over him, even though we already have Tyler Boyd in the slot.  He's only 5'9" but he's a solid 190 lbs and tough as nails.  I will be pissed if this guy ends up in that state to the east.  He has run a 4.33 before, and ran a 4.38 on his pro day in cold weather.  He feels he is a 4.29 guy.  His team needed help at CB so he split time at WR and still had a whopping 784 yards on just 34 receptions.  He returns and covers kicks as well.  A real Swiss-Army Knife.  I love this kid and I generally don't like shorter WRs, but he is like Adam Jones without the issues but for offense.  Love him.  

My wish is still to go with Chase and get a developmental tackle like Carman or Leatherwood in Rd 2 to start at RG and try to develop as an OT down the road, if I had to choose a WR to pair with the first round selection of Sewell, I would go Marshall, Bateman, and Collins in that order.  The reason I like Marshall is he did it against the best defenses and in just 7 games in 2020 with a tremendous drop-off in QB talent compared to 2019, he still hauled in 48 receptions for 731 yards and 10 TDs.

Thoughts?  Additions?

It might be high for some but I'd be fine with Tylan Wallace in the 2nd.
Reply/Quote

In no particular order:

Thoughts?  Additions?

I'd have in (order) Bateman, Toney, Marshall, Collins, Dyami Brown (not mentioned) as the options. Knowing the Bengals prefer WRs who are 6' or taller on the outside, I can't put Eskridge, Elijah Moore (not mentioned), or Rondale Moore (not mentioned) on the list until the third round. Schwartz is a Day 3 guy to me.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-28-2021, 02:48 PM)Fulcher_33 Wrote: Dyami Brown UNC. If we actually wait till rd 3 for WR I would look at Brown. He has got some of the best releases of any receiver in this draft class, he also has a career depth of target of 17.1 (Bateman 13.7 as a comparison). He was asked to get vertical often in UNCs offense but he can win underneath and intermediate as well.

And he ran a 4.44 (yeah Im quoting myself, what of it?  Hilarious )
Reply/Quote
Lots of good WR's in the 2nd and 3rd if we take Sewell in the first.

I really like Tylan Wallace in the 2nd and Jaelon Darden in the 3rd. Both are explosive which is what we need. Tylan goes up
for the ball very well and has better size than Darden, but Darden just breaks ankles with his ability to make Defenders miss.

Both I think will be special players in the NFL.

Love Eskridge too.

Thinking we take Chase or Pitts in the first though. So O-line and D-line will be where we are looking in the 2nd through 4th.
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2021, 11:20 AM)Fulcher_33 Wrote: I wouldn't be worried about that. They play in the ACC and played a similar schedule to that of Clemson, do we have concerns about Clemson players being drafted due to their competition? 

Actually, I have had that very concern.  Especially with their linemen. 
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2021, 10:25 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Actually, I have had that very concern.  Especially with their linemen. 

Well you might be the first. I've never heard any scouts discuss Clemson players as prospects and mention concerns about competition levels.
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2021, 10:25 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Actually, I have had that very concern.  Especially with their linemen. 

ACC has had some of the best pass rushers as a conference for quite a while. So the OL in the conference go against some pretty good competition.
I would argue the Big 10 is overrated when it comes to their linemen aside from the clear elite like the Bosas and Young.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-29-2021, 07:13 PM)Fulcher_33 Wrote: And he ran a 4.44 (yeah Im quoting myself, what of it?  Hilarious )

Dyami Brown ran a 4.46 and a 4.50 making him a high 4.4 to low 4.5 guy which isnt to say he isnt fast. His Pro Shuttle was a 4.06 which measures an insane burst which is what you see off the line, out of his breaks, and the stem.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(03-30-2021, 02:53 PM)Synric Wrote: Dyami Brown ran a 4.46 and a 4.50 making him a high 4.4 to low 4.5 guy which isnt to say he isnt fast. His Pro Shuttle was a 4.06 which measures an insane burst which is what you see off the line, out of his breaks, and the stem.
Yeah definitely a solid prospect 
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2021, 10:51 AM)Fulcher_33 Wrote: Well you might be the first. I've never heard any scouts discuss Clemson players as prospects and mention concerns about competition levels.

I guarantee you EVERY NFL GM breaks down the successes vs. competition for every snap.  Clemson had some stud Defensive linemen, yes.  How many times were they playing from behind?  How many times were they just pinning their ears back and pass rushing with zero regard for run defense?  

The quality of the opponents Clemson plays in their league is pathetic.  If I am looking at a OT/G like Jackson Carmen, I am watching very closely how he fared against the very few quality opponents he faced.  
Reply/Quote
I’d rather pass on a wr in 2 and grab a guard or edge rusher. I think we can get a wr later. If I had to go this route though I’d take Bateman

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2021, 09:58 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I guarantee you EVERY NFL GM breaks down the successes vs. competition for every snap.  Clemson had some stud Defensive linemen, yes.  How many times were they playing from behind?  How many times were they just pinning their ears back and pass rushing with zero regard for run defense?  

The quality of the opponents Clemson plays in their league is pathetic.  If I am looking at a OT/G like Jackson Carmen, I am watching very closely how he fared against the very few quality opponents he faced.  

1. For the DL quote, that could be said about alot of programs then. How many times did Alabama play from behind? Their DL just pinning their ears back with zero regard for the run. Yet do scouts have concerns about them and state anything about level of competition??? Smirk (no not comparing SEC w/ ACC).

2.the ACC is NOT the MAC nor is it the SEC but to sit here and say there is concerns about the level of competition is ridiculous with how many Clemson, FSU players have been selected over the last 10 years in the first rd without ever hearing anyone say, well the level of competition is poor during their draft process. Same could be said for Florida St players, etc... yet you do NOT hear people talk about that during the draft process on evaluating their tape.

We can agree to disagree!
Reply/Quote