Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2nd round pick
Darrisaw played in an unconventional offense that took the philosophy of a quick hitting pass scheme to an extreme. His pass sets are all shallow and the rushers who he faced never had time to defeat his blocks and get to the QB. It's totally unknown as to whether the guy has the feet to mirror or the grip strength to sustain pass blocks. His technique needs to be rebuilt from the ground up if he's to stay at tackle.
He is undeniably a great mover in space who can pull with the best of them. For me that is not a determinant factor in whether or not he's going to he a good NFL tackle. I'd imagine that most franchises are leery of taking a guy who has no experience with 5 step drops. A lot of lower ranked prospects probably have more sustained pass blocks on film than Darrisaw. He's one of those cases where the pass block metrics are deceptive. 

As to OP: 
There are a lot of DL that I'd like. Basham seems like the most realistic one to fall that I'd be happy with. Ojulari, Phillips, Owusu-Koramoah, or Barmore would be crazy value. I'm not sure what to think of Rousseau at 2 - he may have to transition to 3T. 
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2021, 04:37 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Lawrence is widely viewed as not only the best prospect in this class but the best QB prospect in years. (I know this will get me yelled out around here.)

He is an absolute no brainer of a pick and with the weapons he has there plus the coaching, he might set rookie QB records.

But if you're interjecting the Bengals into this, you have to assume that they finished with the worst record in the NFL last year, so they would need a QB. Whether they had Burrow or not--say he was injured in game 1--you then have a 24yr old QB who has virtually zero NFL experience and i don't think anyone (well, very few) would balk at taking a guy like Lawrence. 

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2021, 07:07 PM)Whatever Wrote: Darisaw makes it to 30 and I'm offering our 2nd and 4th to jump KC.

If the Bengals go Chase and Darrisaw drops, and Eichenberg is there (which by most mocks, he is), i'm taking Eichenberg and then looking for a guard in rd3. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2021, 07:59 PM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: Darrisaw played in an unconventional offense that took the philosophy of a quick hitting pass scheme to an extreme. His pass sets are all shallow and the rushers who he faced never had time to defeat his blocks and get to the QB. It's totally unknown as to whether the guy has the feet to mirror or the grip strength to sustain pass blocks. His technique needs to be rebuilt from the ground up if he's to stay at tackle.
He is undeniably a great mover in space who can pull with the best of them. For me that is not a determinant factor in whether or not he's going to he a good NFL tackle. I'd imagine that most franchises are leery of taking a guy who has no experience with 5 step drops. A lot of lower ranked prospects probably have more sustained pass blocks on film than Darrisaw. He's one of those cases where the pass block metrics are deceptive. 

As to OP: 

There are a lot of DL that I'd like. Basham seems like the most realistic one to fall that I'd be happy with. Ojulari, Phillips, Owusu-Koramoah, or Barmore would be crazy value. I'm not sure what to think of Rousseau at 2 - he may have to transition to 3T. 

Agreed,  When I do mocks I always love them when I can come away with one of them in the 2nd and agree on Basham who I think would be a fantastic addition to our DL rotation and a future 3 down lineman.  Ditto on the rest.   I just really curious what the Bengals are thinking.  

If you end up going Sewell and defense in the second it means you take a WR later and probably sign a free agent or two like Kenny Stills for the time being.  And the team might be better off long term.  I believe these guys are so much more value than the 2nd round WR's at this point and probably the OL prospects but that's closer depending on who is available. 
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2021, 11:52 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: If the Bengals go Chase and Darrisaw drops, and Eichenberg is there (which by most mocks, he is), i'm taking Eichenberg and then looking for a guard in rd3. 

Eichenburg or Owusu?  Ojulari? 
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2021, 10:28 AM)yang Wrote: Eichenburg or Owusu?  Ojulari? 

Well...those guys are LBs that are probably gonna be gone by the time the 1st rd is over.

Soooo...   Nervous

Reply/Quote
(03-31-2021, 03:53 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Well...those guys are LBs that are probably gonna be gone by the time the 1st rd is over.

Soooo...   Nervous

Probably, but I see a lot of mocks with them falling and that's kind of the point.  A big emphasis of our coaches is to get players to bring pressure and both these guys do that.  They are Edge guys with massive upside.   It also provides flexibility in 3-4 looks. 

It seems every draft the Bengals throw us a curveball like this. 
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2021, 05:12 PM)yang Wrote: Probably, but I see a lot of mocks with them falling and that's kind of the point.  A big emphasis of our coaches is to get players to bring pressure and both these guys do that.  They are Edge guys with massive upside.   It also provides flexibility in 3-4 looks. 

It seems every draft the Bengals throw us a curveball like this. 

If they still didn't need so much on offense, i'd agree. I'd rather not see any defensive picks until the 5th round. 4th at the earliest.

Reply/Quote
(03-31-2021, 05:12 PM)yang Wrote: They are Edge guys with massive upside.   It also provides flexibility in 3-4 looks. 

Owusu-Koramoah is more of a DB than an edge imo. He has some of that Derwin James/Honey Badger quality to his game. Watching him man up against WRs and still click and close like a LB is kind of ridiculous.
Reply/Quote
OL Picks in round 2: Teven Jenkins is a rough neck mean dude and can probably play guard and RT. I also think Dickerson would be a studly Center for years and an upgrade over Hopkins.

DB: Asante Samuel

WR: Moore, Marshall
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
They didn't do enough in free agency to allow them to go BPA in the 1st or 2nd. It has to be WR/OL or OL/WR in the first two rounds.
Reply/Quote
DE pretty much has to be the pick here unless we traded back in the first.
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2021, 09:49 AM)RiverRat13 Wrote: They didn't do enough in free agency to allow them to go BPA in the 1st or 2nd. It has to be WR/OL or OL/WR in the first two rounds.

Pretty much. And that sucks cause Basham was my hope for our 2nd pick.

Reply/Quote
(04-01-2021, 09:49 AM)RiverRat13 Wrote: They didn't do enough in free agency to allow them to go BPA in the 1st or 2nd. It has to be WR/OL or OL/WR in the first two rounds.

I disagree. While I expect the top 2 picks to go wr/ol, I can see it turning out differently. If we get Sewell in 1 there may not be a wr worth the 36th pick. An edge rusher may drop that’s a much better value, and still fills a need. A guard at two may be a better value.

And if Pitts or Parsons fell (as an example) do really think they wouldn’t go “bpa”?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(04-01-2021, 10:57 PM)Synric Wrote:

Ofc that dude would wear #69. LOL

Reply/Quote
Hi all,

My first post! Psyched to be here. Thanks for opening your doors, mods. I've been a fan since I was doing the Ickey Shuffle in my diapers and I live in New York. I'm also a huge draftnik- more as a fan than a coach, but I still take it seriously. I got a whole spreadsheet set-up where I track all the major Big Boards and mocks, who I like and don't like, where I can find their tape, etc. It's a hobby, it's fun, and yes I take it way too seriously lol. Now that that's out of the way...

Great question. I think about it myself. Based on today's projections, this draft pool is so stuffed at WR and OL that there really aren't that many others that could fall to us. I mean, Micah Parsons is not dropping to 38, but I guess he's one that I would snag if he were there. Maybe him and Jaycee Horn. Otherwise, it's hard to even conceive of a name that would move me off of a 2nd-round wideout or lineman that we were planning to take there.

And of course, that's assuming they're there. If not, it's prob more likely that we trade back from 38 than that we settle for somebody that might have slipped through the cracks. I just don't know if Mikey will want to force a square peg in a round hole so early.

-

Thanks again for the warm welcome. And I'm pumped Penei's pro-day today! I hope he knocks it out of the park.

Cheers,
Mark
Reply/Quote
(04-02-2021, 01:17 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Ofc that dude would wear #69. LOL

We just so happen to have pick #69. If he is there it is fate and we better pull the trigger
Reply/Quote
(04-02-2021, 01:17 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Ofc that dude would wear #69. LOL

(04-02-2021, 03:23 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: We just so happen to have pick #69. If he is there it is fate and we better pull the trigger

[Image: pCO5tKdP22RC8.gif]

Fueled by satanism, violence, and sodomy, dinosaurs had little chance to survive as a species.

Reply/Quote