Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
3-13-2021 Weekend Update on Bengals Situation
Please let me put this in one simple post for those this weekend who don't get to go on this site every day.

Bengals passed over 3-9-2021 Franchise Tag, and that is over.

Bengals have 3-15 and 3-16 to negotiate with their own players, On 3-17 they become Free Agents. So they have Monday and Tuesday to sign some of these Bengals, but Wednesday they are on the open market as Free Agents.

The Unrestricted Bengals are :
CB-Alexander
K-Bullock
LB-Bynes
TE-Carter
DT-Covington
DT- Daniels
DT-Hunt
P-Huber
WR-Green
LB-Evans
WR-KR- Erickson
CB-Jackson
DE-LB-Lawson
RB-Perine
G-Redmond
WR-Ross
CB-Sims
C-Spain
WR-Thomas
S-Williams
DT-Williams
S-Wilson

Restricted Free Agent is CB-Brown

Exclusive Rights by Bengals is DE-Bledsoe

In hopes that this doesn't get moved and is a quick index card for weekend fans on here, I will make no comments to who I want to stay and such. Source of this info is Bengals.com and NBC Sports Key Off Season Dates. AS OF NOW, THESE ARE ALL BENGALS PLAYERS, not yelling, highlighting that they are Bengals as of this post.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
I would like most of our free agents back with a few exceptions.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2021, 01:32 AM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: I would like most of our free agents back with a few exceptions.

On this, I will add that Bengals often re-sign some of their players after they hit open market each year. The ones teams aren't rushing out to sign.  Some of these players will probably be back on Bengals, per past history.  Also, Bengals could sign some of these players Monday or Tuesday before they hit the open market on Wednesday.  We do have to factor in that many of these were brought in during Coach Lewis, and often a new Coach has his own system and ideas of what types of players he wants. There are three 1st round picks here, but none of them under Coach Taylor.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
I would like 9 of them back, and I ain't saying which ones. The rest I could care less about.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2021, 02:42 AM)schroomytunes Wrote: I would like 9 of them back, and I ain't saying which ones. The rest I could care less about.

Well, I will say one.  With many weakness to address, why create another one. Huber is probably best punter in Bengals history, and nothing is worse than having punters you can't count on.  At some point in this thing, I hope they retain Huber. We have enough problems without trying out new punters. Again, Huber probably best punter in Bengals history and punter is not an expensive signing. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Huber is 1/9 no doubt. what the hell the other 8:

1) M.Alexander-CB
2) C.Lawson-DE
3) J.Bynes-LB
4) B.Wilson-S/KR
5) C.Carter-TE/ST
6) M.Thomas-WR/ST
7) S.Perine-RB
8) W.Jackson-CB

- I doubt we re-sign both Lawson/Jackson, but one of Jackson/Alexander must be retained. The rest are good backups/Special teamers that fill out a roster. with the draft and FA additions I'm looking forward to getting a better overall roster by elimination of the previous chaff!!
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2021, 04:02 AM)kevin Wrote: Well, I will say one.  With many weakness to address, why create another one. Huber is probably best punter in Bengals history, and nothing is worse than having punters you can't count on.  At some point in this thing, I hope they retain Huber. We have enough problems without trying out new punters. Again, Huber probably best punter in Bengals history and punter is not an expensive signing. 

Yes... And with Zac Taylor at the helm, an excellent punter is even more important. Chances are he'll be punting a lot.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
A team can negotiate and sign their own free agents right now. They are not restricted by the tampering rules. On the 15th they can start talking/negotiating with any free agent’s agent. No signing of outside players can take place or announced until the 17th

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(03-13-2021, 09:45 AM)pally Wrote: A team can negotiate and sign their own free agents right now.  They are not restricted by the tampering rules.  On the 15th they can start talking/negotiating with any free agent’s agent. No signing of outside players can take place or announced until the 17th

In the past, while the teams do not make formal announcements, I don't think players have limitations. It appears starting Sunday and Monday or the 15th and 16th (two days early) signings are leaked by the media. We will start seeing things from other teams and possibly Bengals on outside FA's very soon.

Also, teams have until 4 p.m. Tuesday to cut players to deny them their roster bonus. If Geno, Hopkins and Gio are still a Bengal, likely they will not be cut at all as time to do it is now. The exception is Geno who is cut after June 1st, we can spread his dead money over 2 years versus all in a cap tight 2021 year.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
I completely forgot about Hunt. He'd be dirt cheap, and I wouldn't mind having him back. I don't particularly care for him as a second round pick, but as a depth guy in a hybrid 3-4 I think we could do worse. He held up pretty well after he came on board last year. He's a pretty nice fit as a 3-4 end depth guy, and with the line being as depleted as it is, why not? Covington is another cheaper guy that I like for depth. Solid low ceiling veteran who's cheap.
Reply/Quote
Alexander we must bring back, love this guy. My new favorite Slot corner. Bring back Mackenzie.

Huber, Wilson, Hunt, Bynes and Perine stand out to me as others I would like to extend.

Huber is the best Punter we have ever had and Wilson could be the best KR in the NFL if he gets good blocking.

Margus played well last year at DT, awesome for him to finally pan out, Bynes is a coach on the field.

Perine can carry the load if Mixon goes down and can catch the ball and pick up the blitz most importantly.
Reply/Quote
How about new Defensive Coach, Offensive Coach and Head Coach!
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2021, 06:16 AM)schroomytunes Wrote: Huber is 1/9 no doubt. what the hell the other 8:

1) M.Alexander-CB
2) C.Lawson-DE
3) J.Bynes-LB
4) B.Wilson-S/KR
5) C.Carter-TE/ST
6) M.Thomas-WR/ST
7) S.Perine-RB
8) W.Jackson-CB

- I doubt we re-sign both Lawson/Jackson, but one of Jackson/Alexander must be retained. The rest are good backups/Special teamers that fill out a roster. with the draft and FA additions I'm looking forward to getting a better overall roster by elimination of the previous chaff!!
Reply/Quote
They are 41 million under the cap with Green and Atkins.Let those 2 go,and there is plenty of money to re-sign Lawson and Jackson.Is there not?
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2021, 05:55 PM)bengalsboy Wrote: They are 41 million under the cap with Green and Atkins.Let those 2 go,and there is plenty of money to re-sign Lawson and Jackson.Is there not?

Green is a FA, so he is already gone when you look at the 41 million.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
Mackenzie Alexander is a must sign. Try hard guy with attitude
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2021, 05:24 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Alexander we must bring back, love this guy. My new favorite Slot corner. Bring back Mackenzie.

Huber, Wilson, Hunt, Bynes and Perine stand out to me as others I would like to extend.

Huber is the best Punter we have ever had and Wilson could be the best KR in the NFL if he gets good blocking.

Margus played well last year at DT, awesome for him to finally pan out, Bynes is a coach on the field.

Perine can carry the load if Mixon goes down and can catch the ball and pick up the blitz most importantly.

As usual, we are sharing the same brain.  I will add that the one of the two "big" contracts I am willing to offer is Lawson over WJIII.  

The biggest issue with Lawson has been health, but I think he is over that now and seems to know how to care for his body.  Dude wins at a very high % rate and I think could be elite with better talent around him.  

I have always liked WJIII, but I am beginning to see a bit of "old guard" in him, and I think he is too inconsistent and the Bengals can find a CB with similar skills (and perhaps even better in zone) for less money. 
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2021, 08:12 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: As usual, we are sharing the same brain.  I will add that the one of the two "big" contracts I am willing to offer is Lawson over WJIII.  

The biggest issue with Lawson has been health, but I think he is over that now and seems to know how to care for his body.  Dude wins at a very high % rate and I think could be elite with better talent around him.  

I have always liked WJIII, but I am beginning to see a bit of "old guard" in him, and I think he is too inconsistent and the Bengals can find a CB with similar skills (and perhaps even better in zone) for less money. 

It really does suck, because as a fan early on I thought he might be similar to Jonathan Joseph talent-wise but he just really hasn't elevated to that.

He's not bad but he's not really good either.

Myself having a negative feeling of letting him go only stems from not seeing Waynes play here and who else they'll trot out there too.

Jackson just never lived up to my expectations so maybe that's why I'm willing to let him walk.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2021, 10:04 AM)BengalsRocker Wrote: It really does suck, because as a fan early on I thought he might be similar to Jonathan Joseph talent-wise but he just really hasn't elevated to that.

He's not bad but he's not really good either.

Myself having a negative feeling of letting him go only stems from not seeing Waynes play here and who else they'll trot out there too.

Jackson just never lived up to my expectations so maybe that's why I'm willing to let him walk.

Yeah, and Waynes has a hell of a lot to prove, and even if he comes in and is a Dre Kirkpatrick the Bengals will likely take the opt out and be looking for another corner in the following draft.

I have heard that Anarumo and the defensive coaches like WJIII as a pure man CB, but he struggles in zone.  Frankly, if the Bengals are going to play more zone they really need to invest in pass rush over top tier CBs.  
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2021, 10:58 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Yeah, and Waynes has a hell of a lot to prove, and even if he comes in and is a Dre Kirkpatrick the Bengals will likely take the opt out and be looking for another corner in the following draft.

I have heard that Anarumo and the defensive coaches like WJIII as a pure man CB, but he struggles in zone.  Frankly, if the Bengals are going to play more zone they really need to invest in pass rush over top tier CBs.  

I think this season is a huge opportunity for Darius Phillips.  Jackson, IMO is finished here.  I would be completely shocked if they re-signed him.  

The boundary corner market in FA is not very impressive.  The top-end talent in the draft is less-than inspiring.  I'm not paying Jackson top corner money in a seller's corner market.  That would make them victims of circumstance.  

I re-sign Alexander no doubt.  That still leaves a boundary spot up for grabs.  

I really like what I've seen from Darius when he's healthy.  He's had a knack for making plays since he got here, but he got burned a lot and made too many mental mistakes early.  Last year it appreared to me that he'd cleaned a substantial amount of those issues up.  I think at the very least, he's shown that he deserves a shot at the starting boundary spot opposite Waynes.  

I'd look to draft another slot guy in the mid rounds such as Samuel or Wade and spend my higher defensive picks on DL.  If Phillips works out, then it's found money.  If he doesn't, then you wait and see what next year's corner crop looks like.  If he's able to stay on the field, Phillpis should at the very least be able to hold serve until better options become available.
Reply/Quote