Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
3-13-2021 Weekend Update on Bengals Situation
(03-14-2021, 08:12 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: As usual, we are sharing the same brain.  I will add that the one of the two "big" contracts I am willing to offer is Lawson over WJIII.  

The biggest issue with Lawson has been health, but I think he is over that now and seems to know how to care for his body.  Dude wins at a very high % rate and I think could be elite with better talent around him.  

I have always liked WJIII, but I am beginning to see a bit of "old guard" in him, and I think he is too inconsistent and the Bengals can find a CB with similar skills (and perhaps even better in zone) for less money. 

Agree as you know. Cool
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2021, 11:30 AM)samhain Wrote: I think this season is a huge opportunity for Darius Phillips.  Jackson, IMO is finished here.  I would be completely shocked if they re-signed him.  

The boundary corner market in FA is not very impressive.  The top-end talent in the draft is less-than inspiring.  I'm not paying Jackson top corner money in a seller's corner market.  That would make them victims of circumstance.  

I re-sign Alexander no doubt.  That still leaves a boundary spot up for grabs.  

I really like what I've seen from Darius when he's healthy.  He's had a knack for making plays since he got here, but he got burned a lot and made too many mental mistakes early.  Last year it appreared to me that he'd cleaned a substantial amount of those issues up.  I think at the very least, he's shown that he deserves a shot at the starting boundary spot opposite Waynes.  

I'd look to draft another slot guy in the mid rounds such as Samuel or Wade and spend my higher defensive picks on DL.  If Phillips works out, then it's found money.  If he doesn't, then you wait and see what next year's corner crop looks like.  If he's able to stay on the field, Phillpis should at the very least be able to hold serve until better options become available.

Liked everything you said but the bolded Sam, cause we don't know how impressive the FA market for boundary Corner will be.

Roby, Trufant, Sherman are just a few names that are already available. This FA is a very good FA for Corner already.

Let alone once more cuts are made for cap reasons.
Reply/Quote