Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
3-4 Back On The Table
(02-13-2019, 08:38 PM)Older Than You Too Wrote: ...We don't have the linemen or linebackers to run a 3-4. I'm talking player personnel, not coaches.

Fair enough. I think much of this could be addressed with FA and the draft. I have no problem throwing fresh kids into a new system and taking our licks for a year. Worked for the Cowboys when Jimmy Johnson was named HC and they became a dynasty. I know I'm referring to a whole team vs. a D. But still, the idea is the same. But I agree. Currently, on paper, we couldn't.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-13-2019, 08:54 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Fair enough. I think much of this could be addressed with FA and the draft. I have no problem throwing fresh kids into a new system and taking our licks for a year. Worked for the Cowboys when Jimmy Johnson was named HC and they became a dynasty. I know I'm referring to a whole team vs. a D. But still, the idea is the same. But I agree. Currently, on paper, we couldn't.

Is it just me or does it seem like 4-3 coordinators are going the way of the dodo bird?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(02-13-2019, 08:38 PM)Older Than You Too Wrote: ...We don't have the linemen or linebackers to run a 3-4. I'm talking player personnel, not coaches.

You're just guessing on this one:

Quite a few OLBs in a 3-4 are pretty much the same size as Carlos

Hubbard is designed to plat OLB in a 3-4

Burfict's skills could easily translate to an ILB in a 3-4

Throw C-Law into the mix and if Jackson could play inside; then a team weakness has become a strength.

I could easily see a front 3 of Atkins, Billings, and Washington doing well as a front 3.  At 325 and the strongest man on the planet Billings could easily play NT in a 3-4
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote

Actually, we're not as far away, as one might think.  Both Hubbard and Lawson would make pretty good OLBs in a 3-4, with the way Willis is packing on the mass, he'd be perfect for DE in a 3-4.  If they bring in a guy like Grantham, who runs a single gap 3-4, it's very much like a 4-3, but just allows for one extra athletic, faster body on the field, or at least to be used in a different capacity.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-13-2019, 10:02 PM)bfine32 Wrote: You're just guessing on this one:

Quite a few OLBs in a 3-4 are pretty much the same size as Carlos

Hubbard is designed to plat OLB in a 3-4

Burfict's skills could easily translate to an ILB in a 3-4

Throw C-Law into the mix and if Jackson could play inside; then a team weakness has become a strength.

I could easily see a front 3 of Atkins, Billings, and Washington doing well as a front 3.  At 325 and the strongest man on the planet Billings could easily play NT in a 3-4

No, I'm stating the obvious. You're the one "guessing" we can just switch everyone's position and magically run a 3-4 as if this were Madden.
Reply/Quote
No. We need two years to put the pieces together
Reply/Quote
(02-13-2019, 11:36 PM)Older Than You Too Wrote: No, I'm stating the obvious. You're the one "guessing" we can just switch everyone's position and magically run a 3-4 as if this were Madden.

You're stating your opinion, not the obvious. The Chargers changed from a 3-4 to a 4-3 2 years ago. They went from 16th to 15th in total D. This year they were up to 9th. A few years back the Broncos had the number 1 D in the NFL when they switched from a 4-3 to a 3-4 and none of this was magically done in Madden. . I could find other examples if I must. We are not switching "everyone's position". Just tweaking where they line up pre-snap. The whole "we have the wrong personnel" is silly. 

Reply/Quote
(02-14-2019, 12:27 AM)bfine32 Wrote: You're stating your opinion, not the obvious. The Chargers changed from a 3-4 to a 4-3 2 years ago. They went from 16th to 15th in total D. This year they were up to 9th. A few years back the Broncos had the number 1 D in the NFL when they switched from a 4-3 to a 3-4 and none of this was magically done in Madden. . I could find other examples if I must. We are not switching "everyone's position". Just tweaking where they line up pre-snap. The whole "we have the wrong personnel" is silly. 

Nope, I'm stating the obvious. The fact we've never drafted players to fit a 3-4 D is obvious, the fact our biggest weakness on the D is our LBers is obvious. 

Meanwhile you think this is Madden and guess we can just change people around and succeed.

So yeah, you did a whole lot of guessing while I just stated the obvious.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2019, 12:34 AM)Older Than You Too Wrote: Nope, I'm stating the obvious. The fact we've never drafted players to fit a 3-4 D is obvious, the fact our biggest weakness on the D is our LBers is obvious. 

Meanwhile you think this is Madden and guess we can just change people around and succeed.

Of course in the middle of all that "guessing and Madden playing" I provided real life examples of where it has worked just fine.

KC is changing their base this year. You think they care about changing the base of the 31st ranked D because they don't have the personnel or is there someone on the KC message board stating the obvious? 

Reply/Quote
(02-14-2019, 12:34 AM)Older Than You Too Wrote: Nope, I'm stating the obvious. The fact we've never drafted players to fit a 3-4 D is obvious, the fact our biggest weakness on the D is our LBers is obvious. 

A 2 gap 34 like the Steelers run no the Bengals dont have the guys to run that...

But a single gap 34 like Wade Phillips and Todd Grantham run wouldn't be alot different than the 43/34 hybrid they ran under Marvin and PG.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(02-14-2019, 12:48 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Of course in the middle of all that "guessing and Madden playing" I provided real life examples of where it has worked just fine.

KC is changing their base this year. You think they care about changing the base of the 31st ranked D because they don't have the personnel or is there someone on the KC message board stating the obvious? 

You provided a lot of guessing. Then gave examples of teams that are not the Bengals, and thus do not have the Bengals Defensive personnel.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2019, 12:52 AM)Older Than You Too Wrote: You provided a lot of guessing. Then gave examples of teams that are not the Bengals, and thus do not have the Bengals Defensive personnel.

Okey Doke

Reply/Quote
Crash and Burn on another DC....... Hmmmmm, this is getting a little worrisome. And for the guy they do eventually get, CONGRATULATIONS! You are our 8th option!..... not looking good.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2019, 09:16 AM)Gamma Ray Tan Wrote: Crash and Burn on another DC....... Hmmmmm, this is getting a little worrisome. And for the guy they do eventually get, CONGRATULATIONS! You are our 8th option!..... not looking good.

My guess is the guy they do get ends up being a one year stop gap. 
Reply/Quote
(02-13-2019, 11:36 PM)Older Than You Too Wrote: No, I'm stating the obvious. You're the one "guessing" we can just switch everyone's position and magically run a 3-4 as if this were Madden.

You're forming an opinion derived from the obvious, just like everyone else does here.

Until it is tested and proven that our linebackers cannot play in a 3-4, as Befine suggested they could (also an opinion), then your opinion remains an opinion, just like his.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2019, 10:19 AM)Cartman Wrote: You're forming an opinion derived from the obvious, just like everyone else does here.

Until it is tested and proven that our linebackers cannot play in a 3-4, as Befine suggested they could (also an opinion), then your opinion remains an opinion, just like his.

That’s silly. We seen the Bengals in .a 4 3 defense. That’s what they play although not very well. Lawson m Hubbard have never played in a 3 4 and now I’m supposed to agree that they will be just fine in a 3 4 in the pros.

My opinion is Dalton will never be as good TOM Brady but it’s just my opinion n not proven yet.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2019, 10:19 AM)Cartman Wrote: You're forming an opinion derived from the obvious, just like everyone else does here.

Our LB's are pretty terrible in a 4-3. I think either way we need new LB's.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2019, 11:44 AM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: That’s silly.  We seen the Bengals in .a 4 3 defense. That’s what they play although not very well.  Lawson m Hubbard have never played in a 3 4 and now I’m supposed to agree that they will be just fine in a 3 4 in the pros.

My opinion is Dalton will never be as good TOM Brady but it’s just my opinion n not proven yet.

I agree with you.

Lawson is a 1 dimensional pass rusher. The Bengals use him almost exclusively in that role. He can't stop the run. He's not good in coverage.

Hubbard? I don't know on. He had a lot of splash plays this year, but he actually graded out really low most of the year.

IF Lawson was better, I'm sure they'd consider playing in in a 4-3 at OLB.
Reply/Quote

Nope, we don't even have the LBs to play a good 4-3 anymore, much less an extra one for a 3-4. Bfine suggested we just switch everyone's position and have ends become LBs because... Madden? 
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2019, 07:38 PM)Older Than You Too Wrote: Nope, we don't even have the LBs to play a good 4-3 anymore, much less an extra one for a 3-4. Bfine suggested we just switch everyone's position and have ends become LBs because... Madden? 

There is more than one type of 43 and 34 defense. Jack Del Rio ran a 2 gap 43 which would look more like the Steelers 2 gap 34. Wade Phillips runs a 1 gap 34 that looks more like a 43 under. 

In fact a 1 gap 34 in a nickle is a 4 2 5 alignment.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote