Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
3/4 Switch this year ?
(01-04-2018, 05:28 PM)Au165 Wrote: I mentioned it in another thread a hybrid 3-4/4-3 under like what Seattle and their disciples have ran would work well. To the guy who said we are in nickle so it doesn't matter, it still does. 3-4 teams tend to run what's called a 4-2-5 for their nickle which is 4 linebackers (the two OLB playing on the line in a standing position) 2 MLB and two down lineman (normally your best rushers so Atkins and Dunlap for us).

I'd see our base package being Atkins, Billings, Dunlap as down lineman with Lawson, Burfict, Vigil?, Willis as your backers. When we are in 3-4 those are your front 7 in a normal 3-4 front. We could then slide to a 4-3 under front with Willis having the ability to occasionally drop from the now DE spot.

The question is the LB next to Burfict that is for sure. I put down Evans cause i think he has much more upside in my
opinion than Vigil does. But you never know if we get a decent LB coach or draft a guy like Roquan Smith.
Reply/Quote
Roquan is a guy that we should 100% be looking at, but because of his rare talent I suspect he goes top 10 if he doesn't get throw out of the combine.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
With the depth the Bengals have on the DL they could literally switch between schemes many times a game.

As others have mentioned, we play in the nickle 70% of the time, so if you take out a LB if you want 4 DL or you take out a DL if you want 3 DL.

Then there are 3rd downs where we put 4 DEs out there or 3 DEs and 1 LB on the line of scrimmage.

So, I'm not sure it really matters much if the team has a base of 3/4 or 4/3. And, as others have mentioned, the secondary scheme matters more.

Now, when we talk about run defense, we might improve with a base 3/4. Not sure.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(01-05-2018, 12:04 AM)Okeana Wrote: Roquan is a guy that we should 100% be looking at, but because of his rare talent I suspect he goes top 10 if he doesn't get throw out of the combine.

Roquan will probably go before our pick, but if he is there you take him.

Just need to add one Lineman in FA to free this pick up.

(01-05-2018, 12:52 PM)BengalChris Wrote: With the depth the Bengals have on the DL they could literally switch between schemes many times a game.

As others have mentioned, we play in the nickle 70% of the time, so if you take out a LB if you want 4 DL or you take out a DL if you want 3 DL.

Then there are 3rd downs where we put 4 DEs out there or 3 DEs and 1 LB on the line of scrimmage.

So, I'm not sure it really matters much if the team has a base of 3/4 or 4/3. And, as others have mentioned, the secondary scheme matters more.

Now, when we talk about run defense, we might improve with a base 3/4. Not sure.

With our Linebackers right now it might not work cause in the 3-4 you have to have ones that know how to shoot the gap.

Burfict is really the only one i know does right now. Would love to get Zac Brown in here in FA, this would help big time.
Reply/Quote
If you read about the Bengals looking to interview Vic Fangio, you'll know that they're serious about switching to a 3-4. He put together some terrific 3-4 defenses with SF.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2018, 02:27 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: If you read about the Bengals looking to interview Vic Fangio, you'll know that they're serious about switching to a 3-4.  He put together some terrific 3-4 defenses with SF.

Hey, thanks for the update Sunset, really like Fangio! Rock On
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2018, 03:05 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Hey, thanks for the update Sunset, really like Fangio! Rock On

Not really an update.  Fangio was listed in a list of "suggested" candidates, in a recent article I read.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2018, 03:14 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Not really an update.  Fangio was listed in a list of "suggested" candidates, in a recent article I read.

Cool, didn't read that one. Just heard about Austin who i don't care for much at all.

Hope he gets the Lions HC position instead.
Reply/Quote
Marvin not knowing what type of D he wants to run is concerning. The D needs some improvement but he has been drafting players to fit a 4-3. You don't just switch without a plan. Geno is a 4-3 DT. Not an DE in a 3-4. They eat blockers. He is an attacker. Dunlop is a pure 4-3 DE. Having him play in space is a waste. He is fine for a few plays out there but you can't expect him to play out in space often. I'm not sure I want Lawson out in space. Bengals have messed up a lot of DEs by moving them to OLB. Vigil is poorly suited to OLB in both 3-4 and 4-3. Burfict struggled at MLB. He flourishes with the freedom he has. He may be okay in 3-4 but is it worth the risk?

Need to be focusing on O-Line, WR and safety this draft. Not trying to fill roster spots for for a change in formation.
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2018, 11:44 PM)CanadianBengal Wrote: Marvin not knowing what type of D he wants to run is concerning. The D needs some improvement but he has been drafting players to fit a 4-3. You don't just switch without a plan. Geno is a 4-3 DT. Not an DE in a 3-4. They eat blockers. He is an attacker. Dunlop is a pure 4-3 DE. Having him play in space is a waste. He is fine for a few plays out there but you can't expect him to play out in space often. I'm not sure I want Lawson out in space. Bengals have messed up a lot of DEs by moving them to OLB. Vigil is poorly suited to OLB in both 3-4 and 4-3. Burfict struggled at MLB. He flourishes with the freedom he has. He may be okay in 3-4 but is it worth the risk?

Need to be focusing on O-Line, WR and  safety this draft. Not trying to fill roster spots for for a change in formation.

I think him not knowing is really just being open to a dc that ran it ,but looks like we're going after Austin which is 4-3. If he comes in hopefully he brings in a good player with him.
Reply/Quote