Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
3 Names Everyone Will Know In 2016
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-videos/0ap3000000667092/Top-3-players-everyone-will-be-talking-about-after-2016

Coming in at #1....Paul Dawson? Solomon Wilcots is obviously no stranger to Cincinnati, but an interesting take seeing that you could argue PD doesn't see very much playing time.

Would be great if this came true, but I don't see it being highly probable!
Reply/Quote
interesting video
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
Like Wilcots says Dawson has good football instincts. I wouldn't be shocked to see him getting snaps during Burficts suspension. Whether or not he'll stick after that's over ?????

Dawson isn't the fastest guy in the world but he's just one of those guys that gets around the football more often than not. Question is can he cover ?

Maualuga has survived without the best coverage skills to say the least.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-10-2016, 08:58 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Like Wilcots says Dawson has good football instincts. I wouldn't be shocked to see him getting snaps during Burficts suspension. Whether or not he'll stick after that's over ?????

Dawson isn't the fastest guy in the world but he's just one of those guys that gets around the football more often than not. Question is can he cover ?

good instincts will make up for lack of speed by helping him get into the right position
Reply/Quote
I think that he will start when Burfict is out. I honestly don't know how much play time he will have when Burfict comes back though. We will see if he can take Maualugas spot at middle, because I don't know if he would start over Dansby.
Reply/Quote
In 2013, Brandon Thompson, Lamur, and Sanu were picked to be breakout stars.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
I could see Paul Dawson making an impact but surprised wilcots didn't go with Dennard. That's my breakout guy for 2016.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(06-10-2016, 10:40 AM)Brownshoe Wrote: I think that he will start when Burfict is out. I honestly don't know how much play time he will have when Burfict comes back though. We will see if he can take Maualugas spot at middle, because I don't know if he would start over Dansby.

I'd be really happy if he did as it would mean that the coaches have confidence in him, and I think he'd make an impact at WILL.

But he's been practicing more at SAM (though more I think to make him more versatile - and Dansby's no spring chicken), and I see him starting the season as the backup for both V. Rey and Dansby.  I see Rey starting for Burfict, with Vigil in the mix as a backup at WILL.
Reply/Quote
Dawson will have to outplay Vinny Rey the dude we just paid to be a starter.

Could happen if Dawson makes enough splash plays which he is very good at.

Can Dawson play the MIKE on passing downs is my question?

A lot of competition going on at LB this year.
Reply/Quote
(06-10-2016, 02:33 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Dawson will have to outplay Vinny Rey the dude we just paid to be a starter.

Could happen if Dawson makes enough splash plays which he is very good at.

Can Dawson play the MIKE on passing downs is my question?

A lot of competition going on at LB this year.

They just need to give him the snaps I believe.

And yeah, this is the best the LB room has looked for a while Rock On
Reply/Quote
(06-10-2016, 02:37 PM)3wt Wrote: They just need to give him the snaps I believe.

And yeah, this is the best the LB room has looked for a while Rock On

Maybe ever. I liked what i saw from Flowers last Preseason too.
Reply/Quote
With Burfict out, wouldn't the starters be Maualuga, Vinnie Rey and Karlos Dansby? And can Dawson actually stay ahead of Vigil? I know he's supposed to have good instincts, but at a speed level of 4.93, he better have great instincts.
Reply/Quote
They are paying Vinnie Rey $4.5m in cap space in 2016. It's pretty easy to call him the starter while Burfict is out.

My wondering is more.. the Bengals have Burfict, Dansby, V Rey, Maualuga, and yet they have taken LB in the 3rd round the last two years. Why do the Bengals keep getting half-solutions like V Rey/Maualuga/mid round picks rather than actually trying to fill their positions with superior players.

Since their 1st round CBs are going to sit for an eternity anyway, and it seems like their 3rd round LBs are never worth anything, it would behoove them to switch the two around, take a great LB in the 1st round and then take a CB (who is going to sit for 2 years anyway) in the 3rd round.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(06-10-2016, 03:51 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: They are paying Vinnie Rey $4.5m in cap space in 2016. It's pretty easy to call him the starter while Burfict is out.

My wondering is more.. the Bengals have Burfict, Dansby, V Rey, Maualuga, and yet they have taken LB in the 3rd round the last two years. Why do the Bengals keep getting half-solutions like V Rey/Maualuga/mid round picks rather than actually trying to fill their positions with superior players.

Since their 1st round CBs are going to sit for an eternity anyway, and it seems like their 3rd round LBs are never worth anything, it would behoove them to switch the two around, take a great LB in the 1st round and then take a CB (who is going to sit for 2 years anyway) in the 3rd round.

Well probly since we have established starters already instead of that 1st rounder we draft guys that might need a year or 2 because we can afford to wait.

Probly would be watching that 1st round LB sit as well.

Also drafting rounds like that have a lot to do with contract value.  CBs get expensive and being able to have a 5th year option on one is a good thing.  Linebackers in the 4-3 scheme don't make a ton of cash generally(compare to other positions being paid top 10 dollar)  Usually the top paid LBs seem to be 3-4 OLB that rush the passer more often.    So it comes down to long term value vs draft slot possibly. Which is why I believe you see more runs on DE's CB's QB's OTs in round 1 than most other positions.. Especially before the rookie wage scale. now after it opened up a bit more as the price isn't as high for those top 10 picks but the 5th year option is pretty valuable still.

(just my guess not saying this is why it happened)
Reply/Quote
(06-10-2016, 08:58 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Like Wilcots says Dawson has good football instincts. I wouldn't be shocked to see him getting snaps during Burficts suspension. Whether or not he'll stick after that's over ?????

When it come to ability to effectively play LB, I really believe that Burfict has blown that myth out of the water...  And, when you consider that Dawson ran a 4.72 at the combine and Burfict a 5.1, reaction and ability to be in the right position to make a play means much more.

Heck, the best thing that we could possibly hope for is to question weather or not to bench Dawson, when Vontaze completes his suspension.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(06-10-2016, 05:43 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: When it come to ability to effectively play LB, I really believe that Burfict has blown that myth out of the water...  And, when you consider that Dawson ran a 4.72 at the combine and Burfict a 5.1, reaction and ability to be in the right position to make a play means much more.

Heck, the best thing that we could possibly hope for is to question weather or not to bench Dawson, when Vontaze completes his suspension.

Yes, and Anquan Boldin ran a 4.71... that doesn't mean that people are dashing to the podium on draft day to take 4.7 WRs.

Exceptions to the rule, Sunset. When it comes time to beat a RB to the edge, speed matters. Just look up that playoff game where they ran the player across the field what seemed like 6 times in a row while Maualuga was 5 yards behind, making it the easiest completion. Maualuga ran a 4.86... the Bengals love them some slow LB. It's why they always have trouble covering TE or running QB.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(06-10-2016, 03:51 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: They are paying Vinnie Rey $4.5m in cap space in 2016. It's pretty easy to call him the starter while Burfict is out.

The Keith Rivers pick sure hit it out of the park. Mellow

Just messin, but i understand why the Bengals tend to take CB's in the 1st round rather than LBers.

Xeno i think hit on it pretty well.
Reply/Quote
(06-10-2016, 06:43 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Yes, and Anquan Boldin ran a 4.71... that doesn't mean that people are dashing to the podium on draft day to take 4.7 WRs.

Exceptions to the rule, Sunset. When it comes time to beat a RB to the edge, speed matters. Just look up that playoff game where they ran the player across the field what seemed like 6 times in a row while Maualuga was 5 yards behind, making it the easiest completion. Maualuga ran a 4.86... the Bengals love them some slow LB. It's why they always have trouble covering TE or running QB.

Ha, true about Maualuga.  He plays his 40 time, even slower now.  However, when you watch Burfict play, he plays much faster than his 5.1 would indicate.  What is the difference?  Football smarts.  Knowing how, and having the brain speed to react fast enough to have oneself in position to make a play.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(06-10-2016, 06:59 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Ha, true about Maualuga.  He plays his 40 time, even slower now.  However, when you watch Burfict play, he plays much faster than his 5.1 would indicate.  What is the difference?  Football smarts.  Knowing how, and having the brain speed to react fast enough to have oneself in position to make a play.

Most definately, Burfict is there immediately.

I remember a game late last year where the announcer said Burfict was a hunter. He is.

Dude just flies around and tackles people. Forty speed and football speed, big difference with certain players.
Reply/Quote
(06-10-2016, 07:06 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Most definately, Burfict is there immediately.

I remember a game late last year where the announcer said Burfict was a hunter. He is.

Dude just flies around and tackles people. Forty speed and football speed, big difference with certain players.

The commentators made that comment the last game against Baltimore. It was a tackle he made on whoever they wheeled out at RB that day. The tackle was identical to the one he put on Leveon Bell. The difference is that Baltimore isn't still whining about it.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote