Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
3 Names Everyone Will Know In 2016
I'm prepared to be surprised.

We haven't even heard about him from Bengals.com.

It's all about Vinnie Rey and Nick Vigil taking over for Burfict during his suspension.
Reply/Quote
It is probably worth keeping an eye out for #3. That Ravens TE could be trouble unless our safeties and LBs have gotten better at covering TEs.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-10-2016, 03:12 AM)mroudfly Wrote: http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-videos/0ap3000000667092/Top-3-players-everyone-will-be-talking-about-after-2016

Coming in at #1....Paul Dawson? Solomon Wilcots is obviously no stranger to Cincinnati, but an interesting take seeing that you could argue PD doesn't see very much playing time.

Would be great if this came true, but I don't see it being highly probable!

I guess Wilcox didn't notice the Vigil fan club.

Burfict > Vigil + Dawson time 2

Reply/Quote
At the Indy combine, Dawson ran 4.95, later adjusted to 4.93. He ran a 4.78 at his pro day, where everyone seems to get a better time.

Burfict's time was skewed at the combine, because, as was well reported at the time, he came in out of shape, overweight and not ready to perform at all. He got it together later at Marvin's urging, and signed with us as an undrafted free agent.
Reply/Quote
(06-11-2016, 01:28 AM)BengalChris Wrote: I guess Wilcox didn't notice the Vigil fan club.

Burfict > Vigil + Dawson time 2

Vigil can't be on the list. He didn't play in the NFL last year.
Reply/Quote
(06-10-2016, 03:12 AM)mroudfly Wrote: http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-videos/0ap3000000667092/Top-3-players-everyone-will-be-talking-about-after-2016

Coming in at #1....Paul Dawson? Solomon Wilcots is obviously no stranger to Cincinnati, but an interesting take seeing that you could argue PD doesn't see very much playing time.

Would be great if this came true, but I don't see it being highly probable!

Completely agree with #2 and #3....I wanted Gilmore bad coming out in the draft.  We have been saying how the talent and instincts are there, but he has to stop that BS of always a little "extra-curricular" activity after every tackle he makes.  Maybe he is just frustrated with his lack of playing time, but we need a guy that won't commit the dumb penalty at the wrong time.  
Reply/Quote
(06-10-2016, 08:34 PM)jason Wrote: The commentators made that comment the last game against Baltimore. It was a tackle he made on whoever they wheeled out at RB that day. The tackle was identical to the one he put on Leveon Bell. The difference is that Baltimore isn't still whining about it.

I was at that game, cold af that day. 

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(06-10-2016, 08:34 PM)jason Wrote: The commentators made that comment the last game against Baltimore. It was a tackle he made on whoever they wheeled out at RB that day. The tackle was identical to the one he put on Leveon Bell. The difference is that Baltimore isn't still whining about it.

Yeah, you are right, it was against the Ravens.

True, but the Ravens RB didn't get hurt on the play either.

Burfict reminds me of a bigger Dawkins out there, Wolverine the way he flies around and tackles.

Burfict is already one of my favorite Bengals of all time. Fun to watch.
Reply/Quote
I would say this is a year too early. Marvin mentioned Dansby as a "bridge" player and brought in to teach the likes of Dawson. I look for Dawson get get limited snaps but being groomed to breakout in 2017.

I look  for Will Clarke to be the breakout player this year. Nothing stands between him and MJ's starting spot.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(06-11-2016, 02:54 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I would say this is a year too early. Marvin mentioned Dansby as a "bridge" player and brought in to teach the likes of Dawson. I look for Dawson get get limited snaps but being groomed to breakout in 2017.

I look  for Will Clarke to be the breakout player this year. Nothing stands between him and MJ's starting spot.

What have you seen from Clarke that makes you believe this Bfine?

Marcus Hardison i could see.
Reply/Quote
(06-11-2016, 01:42 AM)Brownshoe Wrote: Vigil can't be on the list. He didn't play in the NFL last year.

Nick Vigil isn't on the list because he doesn't want to be on the list. If he wanted to be on the list, he would obviously be #1.
Reply/Quote
(06-11-2016, 04:53 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: What have you seen from Clarke that makes you believe this Bfine?

More than I've seen from Marcus Hardison. Plus lack of competition.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(06-11-2016, 06:12 PM)Beaker Wrote: Nick Vigil isn't on the list because he doesn't want to be on the list. If he wanted to be on the list, he would obviously be #1.

Bold

Reply/Quote
(06-11-2016, 02:54 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I would say this is a year too early. Marvin mentioned Dansby as a "bridge" player and brought in to teach the likes of Dawson. I look for Dawson get get limited snaps but being groomed to breakout in 2017.

Something tells me that were this a possibility, the coaching staff would not have been so enthusiastic about trying to bring Dwight Freeney aboard.
Reply/Quote
I don't think it's fair to judge Burfict on that 5.09 time. It was reported that he was very out of shape and either injured or coming back from injury when he ran.

Just a guess, but he's probably a 4.8 guy at worst and yes, his instincts do make him "faster", but there's no way he's really a 5.1 guy. That's o-lineman speed and Tez is great in coverage and makes plays sideline to sideline.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(06-11-2016, 09:46 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I don't think it's fair to judge Burfict on that 5.09 time. It was reported that he was very out of shape and either injured or coming back from injury when he ran.

Just a guess, but he's probably a 4.8 guy at worst and yes, his instincts do make him "faster", but there's no way he's really a 5.1 guy. That's o-lineman speed and Tez is great in coverage and makes plays sideline to sideline.

Agreed. The way Burfict plays I could care less what his 40 time was or is or maybe might be. He plays like a fast LB.

Reply/Quote
The 40 speed is way over blown for certain positions. We typically don't hear much about how quickly a player can move laterally. There isn't near the need for a linebacker to be able to run 40 yards in a straight line as there is for a wide receiver.
I'm not sure what might happen with Dawson or if he rides the bench a lot or not.
That said I hope every Bengals player has the breakout season and not just a handful of them.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(06-11-2016, 06:17 PM)bfine32 Wrote: More than I've seen from Marcus Hardison. Plus lack of competition.

I have seen both Hunt and Hardison make more good plays than Clarke.

Sure they were in the Preseason but hell, it is something.
Reply/Quote
(06-11-2016, 10:46 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Agreed. The way Burfict plays I could care less what his 40 time was or is or maybe might be. He plays like a fast LB.

There is a significant drop in what would be a players 40 time if they ran in pads and a helmet.  Adding weight to a speedster might have a greater impact than adding weight to a tank.  The tank has more power to overcome the added weight.  With pads on, Burfict plays very fast.  There have been some guys that ran blistering 40 times that I never saw translate to the field and it is likely the impact of the equipment on the smaller, lighter body.  

I loved his story and his effort, but I never saw the 4.2 speed in baby hawk on the field.  
Reply/Quote
And if we were playing along as Bengals fans, I would say that the three names more people in the NFL will know after this season, it will be:

Andy Dalton

Gio Bernard

Darqueze Dennard (I just have a feeling, this is his breakout year)
Reply/Quote