Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
3 OL Starters Out - Blessing in Disguise?
(10-31-2020, 08:30 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: This seems like it can't be true.

Spotrac decided to lock up past stuff behind membership now, so I can't see 2015 when he got the deal, but in 2017 he was the 25th OG in the NFL... I find it hard to believe he went from 10 to 25 in 2 years unless 1-9 was paid highly and then there was a MASSIVE gap after that before where Boling was.

Also he got $5.2m/yr (with only $2.5m signing bonus and $5m total guaranteed) and Kevin Zeitler got $12m/yr (with $12m signing bonus and $31.5m total guaranteed).... trying to portray Boling's contract as anything but team friendly is a foolish task.

At the time Boling signed in 2015, he was the 8th highest paid LG and the 14th highest paid G overall. By 2016, both of those ranks plummeted. As it turned out, it definitely became 'team friendly' because they ended up paying middle of the pack money for a quality LG.
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2020, 09:05 PM)Benton Wrote: If our defense is going to stay bottom third against the pass and bottom four(ish) against the run, then Joe should hand off the ball the rest of the season. No reason to risk him on this %*@& show. Just run the ball and use the free time we would have spent game planning on scouting a handful of defense picks and a couple linemen for next season.

The line is bad, but, honestly, it's probably not going to get better by who we have on the roster.

While I don't consider 3 guys out to be any kind of blessing, I do think we might have someone better than Redmond in Spain.  Spain seems like a middle of the road NFL guard, whereas Redmond is a taster leavins' caliber player.  

With teams like the Bengals, you get to a point where you're just seeing what you have before the season ends.  In most cases, NFL starters are better than their backups and roster backfill.  For this team, you sort of have to have a look to be sure, because a lot of our actual starters are that bad.
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2020, 12:36 PM)fredtoast Wrote: The claim that the Bengals don't value O-line is ridiculous.  Bengals have always paid the O-line well.  Levi and Willie were the highest paid OT duo in the league.  We paid Whitworth well until he was 36.  We paid OG's Bobbie Williams and Clint Boling well and used a first round pick on OG Kevin Zeitler.   We have used a first round pick on O-line in 2 of our last 3 and 3 of our last 5 drafts.  We traded for the 8th highest paid OT in the league in 2018. 

The Bengals are currently 22nd in the league in spending on the OL in 2020.  Massive spending doesn't always translate to wins or good performance. 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/positional/offensive-line/

Check out the Ravens this year. 
https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/baltimore-ravens/positional/offensive-line/2020/active-cap/
They're 29th in the league in spending on the OL and they only pay Ronnie Stanley, the LT, good money.  Everyone else gets peanuts.  That's just crazy. 

I think that's just proof that coaching and general management is seriously hurting this team.  Why do we continuously lose year after year lately?

BTW, we spend more money on our WR's than anyone else in the NFL. Those guys better be good!
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2020, 10:52 PM)2MinutesHate Wrote: The Bengals are currently 22nd in the league in spending on the OL in 2020.  Massive spending doesn't always translate to wins or good performance. 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/baltimore-ravens/positional/offensive-line/2020/active-cap/
They're 29th in the league in spending on the OL and they only pay Ronnie Stanley, the LT, good money.  Everyone else gets peanuts.  That's just crazy. 

I think that's just proof that coaching and general management is seriously hurting this team.  Why do we continuously lose year after year lately?

BTW, we spend more money on our WR's than anyone else in the NFL.  Those guys better be good!

Yep

Our massive flop in draft selections has killed this team.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Well Price doesn’t have a starting spot and we just landed a backup C in our Dunlap trade. Billy knows this is a big chance for him to put it on tape. I hope he does well and we end up getting some decent compensation and trade him before Tuesday.

If Fred and Hakeem do well they need to be given a legit chance to unseat Hart. If we have a clean pocket all game Jonah should no longer be guaranteed the LT job.
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2020, 12:50 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Well Price doesn’t have a starting spot and we just landed a backup C in our Dunlap trade. Billy knows this is a big chance for him to put it on tape. I hope he does well and we end up getting some decent compensation and trade him before Tuesday.

If Fred and Hakeem do well they need to be given a legit chance to unseat Hart. If we have a clean pocket all game Jonah should no longer be guaranteed the LT job.

I hope they both do well, but I don't think I'd let either one of them Wally Pipp Jonah just yet.  We have over 2 years of tape on Bobby Hart.  the best we get from him is that he's sometimes not awful or that he often has the best rating on a line of mostly dreadful starters.  

Jonah has played about 7 games in the league.  He's had his rough spots, but I hardly think he's bad enough for us to be looking for his replacement just yet.  He's no Fisher or Ogbuehi, that's for sure.  I'm not saying he's going to be Johnathan Ogden reborn, but I think he's played well enough to get his job back.  He needs to be a productive part of this team's future.

Hakeem or Fred would have to be pretty damn impressive to displace a guy that the team has invested a first round pick in after just 7 games.
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2020, 11:41 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Yep

Our massive flop in draft selections has killed this team.

Agree.  It's the main reason why (barring a miraculous performance by Fred or Hakeem) they will go into the offseason with huge needs on both lines that likely can't be addressed in one draft.  The Ced/Fisher draft was death for this franchise, and the Ross pick prolonged the losing even further.  
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2020, 02:24 AM)samhain Wrote: Agree.  It's the main reason why (barring a miraculous performance by Fred or Hakeem) they will go into the offseason with huge needs on both lines that likely can't be addressed in one draft.  The Ced/Fisher draft was death for this franchise, and the Ross pick prolonged the losing even further.  

As well as the Price 1st round selection. 
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2020, 12:50 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Well Price doesn’t have a starting spot and we just landed a backup C in our Dunlap trade. Billy knows this is a big chance for him to put it on tape. I hope he does well and we end up getting some decent compensation and trade him before Tuesday.

Yes he should. You don’t make decisions like that based off one game. Jonah has the most upside of anyone on this OL, and he needs to play to get better. He’s already missed an entire season.

Reply/Quote
(10-31-2020, 10:52 PM)2MinutesHate Wrote: The Bengals are currently 22nd in the league in spending on the OL in 2020.  Massive spending doesn't always translate to wins or good performance. 

BTW, we spend more money on our WR's than anyone else in the NFL.  Those guys better be good!

Stanley JUST signed his extension this week.  But outside of him and Skura, who I believe is on a RFA 1-year deal, they are all on rookie contracts.
Reply/Quote
Just want to note that a some of people complaining about how we "did nothing" to address the O-line this offseason are the same ones saying we should trade away all our vets for draft picks to surround Burrow with "young talent". Well one of the things a team has to do if they are going to depend on draft picks and young talent is play 4th round picks like Michael Jordan and give them a chance to develop. And the fact is that a lot of middle round picks never develop into good players.
Reply/Quote
And now...Michael Jordan is out too with an illness.

Putting all 5 dice back in the Yahtzee cup.

Tyler Dragon
@TheTylerDragon
·
5m
Bengals LG Michael Jordan is out today with an illness. The team will now have five new starters along the offensive line.
Reply/Quote