Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
3-Safety Personnel?
We've heard that Austin wants to run some 3-safety looks (often?) and believe that was a big reason for why a guy like Jessie Bates III was taken.

What exactly would those 3-safety looks look like? From everything I've understood about 3-safety looks, it's essentially replacing a LB for another safety.

I would think in 4-2-5, it'd be....
CBs = WJ3, Kirkpatrick
Safeties = Iloka, Williams, Bates
LBs = Burfict, Brown

And I would think in 4-1-6, it'd be...
CBs = Add Dennard
LBs = Remove Brown

And I think in these looks, Austin would have Williams more in the box and Bates as a true cover guy.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I am assuming that Williams will be a LB and to not hurt his feelings they will call him a safety. Similar to what the Rams did Barron and what the Cardnials did with Buchanan.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
3 safeties is a nickle personnel situation with the SS taking over your weak side LB position. You will occasionally see a Safety play as the Dime MLB as well, but that is normally reserved for more of 3-4 teams who run a 1-4-6 personnel grouping because you still have one MLB on the field.
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2018, 01:26 PM)ochocincos Wrote: We've heard that Austin wants to run some 3-safety looks (often?) and believe that was a big reason for why a guy like Jessie Bates III was taken.

What exactly would those 3-safety looks look like? From everything I've understood about 3-safety looks, it's essentially replacing a LB for another safety.

I would think in non-nickel situations, it'd be....
CBs = WJ3, Kirkpatrick
Safeties = Iloka, Williams, Bates
LBs = Burfict, Brown

And I would think in nickel, it'd be...
CBs = Add Dennard
LBs = Remove Brown

And I think in these looks, Austin would have Williams more in the box and Bates as a true cover guy.
I think you got it mixed...    Doesn't nickel package mean 5 Defensive backs?

And Dime Package is 6 DBs...

So bates probly means we play a lot of nickle D over base (4-3-4)
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2018, 02:16 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: I think you got it mixed...    Doesn't nickel package mean 5 Defensive backs?

Correct, that's what I meant.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(05-02-2018, 02:16 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: I think you got it mixed...    Doesn't nickel package mean 5 Defensive backs?

Technically you're right but in today's game it's more about how many Corners you have on the field then how many DBs you have. 3 CBs = Nickle  4 CBs =Dime
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
Shit, now I’ll never know what they’re doing. ThumbsUp

Reply/Quote
For me it would be Bates at FS, Iloka at SS and Williams at nickel LB.
Reply/Quote
Shaw will probably be in the mix a bunch
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2018, 06:45 PM)Jason_NC Wrote: For me it would be Bates at FS, Iloka at SS and Williams at nickel LB.

Bingo. Those are the exact roles I see them playing in 3 safety sets. 
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2018, 06:45 PM)Jason_NC Wrote: For me it would be Bates at FS, Iloka at SS and Williams at nickel LB.

Same here, this is what i see happening in these sets.
Reply/Quote
bonesaw Wrote:Shaw will probably be in the mix a bunch

It would make sense for him to backup Bates, K-Fed (the non-Britt Spears Baby dad one) would backup Iloka and maybe Jordan Evans behind Williams at NLB.  Instead of Marvin's idea of safeties being interchangable, let Austin do what he wants with them especially if he'd rather define roles in 3 safety looks. 
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2018, 03:54 PM)phil413 Wrote: It would make sense for him to backup Bates, K-Fed (the non-Britt Spears Baby dad one) would backup Iloka and maybe Jordan Evans behind Williams at NLB.  Instead of Marvin's idea of safeties being interchangable, let Austin do what he wants with them especially if he'd rather define roles in 3 safety looks. 

If you meant Fejedelem, it's Clayton with a C, not a K Wink
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Aside from Burfict and Brown our LB's be poor. Playing Williams at LB would be a good call on passing downz.
Reply/Quote
If I had to list concerns on the team, they'd be:

1 ) LB - Burfict getz hurt or suspended a lot. Brown is an upgrade, but we're thin behind.
2 ) OL - We should be better. Glenn playing 14+ games is a huge deal. We need it.
3 ) Coaching - Marv gonna be Marv. We may actually be able to run the ball and block so we can throw. Will he still go conservative? Will the defense attack or play a passive zone?
4 ) Injuries - Eifert, Glenn, Green, Burfict - Can they stay healthy?
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2018, 04:30 PM)Neon Icon Wrote: If I had to list concerns on the team, they'd be:

1 ) LB - Burfict getz hurt or suspended a lot. Brown is an upgrade, but we're thin behind.
2 ) OL - We should be better. Glenn playing 14+ games is a huge deal. We need it.
3 ) Coaching - Marv gonna be Marv. We may actually be able to run the ball and block so we can throw. Will he still go conservative? Will the defense attack or play a passive zone?
4 ) Injuries - Eifert, Glenn, Green, Burfict - Can they stay healthy?

I thought the Bengals made a quality selection with Jefferson in the third round. He "should" become a good WILL and potentially even MIKE.
Plus, the shift to 3-safety personnel more often should reduce the amount of LBs we see on the field.
I'm more concerned with 2, 3, and 4 in your list at this point.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
To me, Glenn's health is the big key to the season. He's good when healthy...but there's a reason Buffalo traded him and that's he's played half the gamez over the past 2 seasons and gets paid a lot. With him injured, they have a young guy that makes a fraction of his salary step up.

Doesn't mean he can't play 16 games here though. I saw on IG that he's been working out hard this offseason.
Reply/Quote
Well..... the first couple Preseason games will give clues but , In general i think what the New guys become shows up more in Year 2.
We DID get some guys who do some things. We got guys with Multi-tool, we got guys with some raw upside. We really ain't sure about the guys we HAD. SOME of the starters are pretty established, some ain't and, some have to be healthy.

What will we do in 2018? Well..... Make SOME progress should happen. Make GOOD progress is better. Get DAMN LUCKY? that's BIG.
Reply/Quote
3 safety formations is nothing new. The Bengals used it quite a bit last year against teams like Green Bay and the Lions.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(05-03-2018, 04:36 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I thought the Bengals made a quality selection with Jefferson in the third round. He "should" become a good WILL and potentially even MIKE.
Plus, the shift to 3-safety personnel more often should reduce the amount of LBs we see on the field.
I'm more concerned with 2, 3, and 4 in your list at this point.

You don't think Malik can play SAM Ocho? I do.

He is a very good athlete that can cover, shed blocks and stop the run.
Reply/Quote