Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
3 for the price of 1 revisited
With La'el Collins leaving without a deal, made me
Revisit when Joe Thunney was a FA last year.
He was going.to cost alot of $$$$ obviously and he
Ended up signing with K.C
But if I recall by not signing Thunney, Wasnt the Bengals able to sign 3 FAs? Was it Hilton, Ogenjobi, and Reiff?
I dont remember the exact 3 FA, but I thought someone
Made the correlation?
Maybe thats the thinking this year as Collins left today
" we didnt reach a deal with Collins, but with the same $$$$ we were set to pay him , we can sign Jarren Reed, Darryl Williams, maybe another CB?"
Reply/Quote
That's always a thought. A lot of people mention how we don't spend money on big players, but contracts are always about value to cost. I have faith that the Bengals are going to spend their money. I think they've shown enough the last few years that most of us think they will. The speculation is going to be where that money goes and if they made the right calls with.
Reply/Quote
As the Bengals shown... loading up on tier 2-3 guys instead of Tier 1 can get you to the SB. We have retained most of our SB team so far so adding more value guys I think can get us there.

AFC is just a bloodbath however.. really sucks
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
The problem with that thought is we've not really brought in the good OL prospects so when we only have one glaring OL need left, seemed impossibly stupid to let Collins leave bc of guarantees.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2022, 12:20 AM)WVUHomer Wrote: The problem with that thought is we've not really brought in the good OL prospects so when we only have one glaring OL need left, seemed impossibly stupid to let Collins leave bc of guarantees.

Karras and Cappa are bad OL prospects?
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2022, 11:49 PM)impactplaya Wrote: With La'el Collins leaving without a deal, made me
But if I recall by not signing Thunney, Wasnt the Bengals  able to sign 3 FAs? Was it Hilton, Ogenjobi, and Reiff?
Made the correlation?
" we didnt reach a deal with Collins, but with the same $$$$ we were set to pay him , we can sign Jarren Reed, Darryl Williams, maybe another CB?"

My 3 would be:
1.  Darryl Williams ASAP
2.  Who is the better player?  Ogenjobi, Jarran Reed, or Star Lotulelei?
3.  Heard we in talks with Stephon Gilmore....  But I don't think we can fit him in the cheap 3 that easy.  Might have to go for Joe Haden type.  As long as it's someone better and cheaper than Trey Waynes or else... keep Trey.
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2022, 03:18 AM)sandwedge Wrote: Karras and Cappa are bad OL prospects?

Outside of those 2 THIS year, when have we brought in top tier OL prospects?
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2022, 11:49 PM)impactplaya Wrote: With La'el Collins leaving without a deal, made me
But if I recall by not signing Thunney, Wasnt the Bengals  able to sign 3 FAs? Was it Hilton, Ogenjobi, and Reiff?
Made the correlation?

Everyone, well not everyone, but a lot were whining we didn't re-sign WJIII, but we got Hilton and Awuzie for the same money he would have cost us. Then they whined we didn't keep Lawson, but we got Hendrickson instead (and Lawson was hurt again last season). Maybe these posters ought to rethink and realize the Bengals are just little bit better at this than they are.
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2022, 10:54 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Everyone, well not everyone, but a lot were whining we didn't re-sign WJIII, but we got Hilton and Awuzie for the same money he would have cost us. Then they whined we didn't keep Lawson, but we got Hendrickson instead (and Lawson was hurt again last season). Maybe these posters ought to rethink and realize the Bengals are just little bit better at this than they are.

TRUTH!!!
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2022, 09:06 AM)WVUHomer Wrote: Outside of those 2 THIS year, when have we brought in top tier OL prospects?

Reif is a top tier guy brought in last season.

The thing is, from the early 2000s until the last 6 years or so the team has been very good at drafting or developing linemen that could get the job done, and thus didn't need to bring in FAs.  It was the failed double dip of Ced O and Jake Fisher that set the line back, as well as the lack of success with Billy Price.
Reply/Quote