Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
3 players that have to play at a very high level to get this team to the playoffs
Joe Burrow - the obvious pick, he leads this team and is the new hope for the franchise.

Jessie Bates - surprised he wasn’t on more people’s lists. He needs to not only perform as well as he has lately, but needs to take ownership and lead this defense like the best safeties of the AFCN have done in the past.

Jonah Williams — health is key here, they need him to stay upright this season and progress. If he falls the dominos start to go with him.
Reply/Quote
Joe Burrow, Jonah Williams, Trey Hendrickson on the edge getting after the QB.

Your QB needs protected and you need to get after the passer.

These are our best 3 IMO.

Hard to pick just 3 though. Love Bates and think Chase could be our next great WR.
Reply/Quote
I'm sorry, but the idea that three specific players, playing at a high level is enough to carry this team to the play-offs is just something I cannot believe in.

The whole OL needs to step up. Even if the were around average all along the line, it would make a things much easier for Joe and Joe.

If the entire LB corp just managed to play average it would make a marked difference.

Then there's the DL, which has experienced a near complete rebuild can it be solid against the run and really pressure QBs.

If those three areas just played at an NFL average level, then this team would have a chance to make the play-offs and even possibly win a play-off game. That, of course, also means that Taylor can't wreck it all by doing what he's done the last two seasons. He also needs to step up and be at least an average coach.

I know, I know, I'm asking for a lot, possibly too much.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
Waynes Awuzie Hilton

We will be lighting up the scoreboard with our high powered O. Obviously the pass rush will play a big part but if our CBs can prevent the big plays and get the occasional takeaway teams won’t be able to keep up
Reply/Quote
Guard, Center, Guard

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(07-19-2021, 09:28 PM)BengalChris Wrote: I'm sorry, but the idea that three specific players, playing at a high level is enough to carry this team to the play-offs is just something I cannot believe in.

The whole OL needs to step up. Even if the were around average all along the line, it would make a things much easier for Joe and Joe.

If the entire LB corp just managed to play average it would make a marked difference.

Then there's the DL, which has experienced a near complete rebuild can it be solid against the run and really pressure QBs.

If those three areas just played at an NFL average level, then this team would have a chance to make the play-offs and even possibly win a play-off game. That, of course, also means that Taylor can't wreck it all by doing what he's done the last two seasons. He also needs to step up and be at least an average coach.

If everyone, or most, are playing to their potential then you have an, at least, middle of the road to above average team. The point he's making is, if you have 3 guys playing at a high level, then you have a chance to get to and advance in the playoffs--and it's true, again, providing the majority are playing to their potential. 

If you have a QB with Burrows ability/potential, and you have a guy that's disrupting the other team's QB consistently (like a Hubbard or Hendrickson) and then you can get another skill guy to play above his mean, then you have a good chance. No one is saying that it only takes 3 guys, just that you need three playing above their head and everyone else doing their job. 

It's like several have pointed out and i referred to earlier; if your QB is going and you have someone disrupting the other team's backfield then you get a guy like Mixon who can go 4+ypc and get into the endzone more consistently, you have a much, much better chance of getting to and through the playoffs.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(07-19-2021, 05:55 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Burrow, Jonah Williams, and Hendrickson.

The Bengals will have to lean on their QB, the QB will need to be protected, and they will need to rush the passer.
Hendrickson is considered the premier pass rusher on this team, and Jonah is arguably considered the main pass protector on this OL, so that's why I chose them.

Yeah those are mine.  Williams has to stay healthy, Hendrickson needs to keep producing and Burrow needs to carry this team.  Too many ills on this team, Burrow has to be Pro Bowl level with a lot of health around him.  
Reply/Quote
(07-19-2021, 10:42 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: If everyone, or most, are playing to their potential then you have an, at least, middle of the road to above average team. The point he's making is, if you have 3 guys playing at a high level, then you have a chance to get to and advance in the playoffs--and it's true, again, providing the majority are playing to their potential. 

I agree with your take that as long as the rest of the team is playing up to their demonstrated ability, having 3 previously unremarkable players step up and play at a high level can definitely put a team at a higher level. Selecting players already proven or projected to perform at a high level really doesn't count, as they are simply doing their jobs.

That is why my choices were simply "Guard, Center, Guard".  If the Bengals can control the line of scrimmage?  Watch out, this offense will be one of the more explosive ones in the league, with the ability to wear teams down with a ground and pound, as well as stretch them out and exploit them with the passing attack.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(07-19-2021, 09:28 PM)BengalChris Wrote: I'm sorry, but the idea that three specific players, playing at a high level is enough to carry this team to the play-offs is just something I cannot believe in.

So your answer is the entire team... lol

End thread. Mellow
Reply/Quote
(07-20-2021, 09:33 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I agree with your take that as long as the rest of the team is playing up to their demonstrated ability, having 3 previously unremarkable players step up and play at a high level can definitely put a team at a higher level.  Selecting players already proven or projected to perform at a high level really doesn't count, as they are simply doing their jobs.  

That is why my choices were simply "Guard, Center, Guard".  If the Bengals can control the line of scrimmage?  Watch out, this offense will be one of the more explosive ones in the league, with the ability to wear teams down with a ground and pound, as well as stretch them out and exploit them with the passing attack.

Good point, the trenches is where we need to improve most on both sides of the ball. The additions of Spain, Reiter and Carman
sure would be great for us if they played above their demonstrated ability. We haven't signed Reiter yet though, so a bit premature
on my part.
Reply/Quote