Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
3 weeks to Trade Deadline
Has anyone checked to see where the Blackburns will be vacationing during the trade deadline? It was really helpful last season, so I expect them to do it again this year.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I think some of you are looking at this wrong. I'm not looking at any Bengals players and saying they need to be traded away. That said, the only "untouchables" I'd keep are Burrow, obviously and one of Gio/Mixon. Everyone else is available for the right price. The right price is either upgrades at the OL or high draft picks (depending on the player).

We need to look at who we can get, figure out what the price is and see if we have it AND we're willing to pay it.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(10-15-2020, 11:26 AM)PhilHos Wrote: I think some of you are looking at this wrong. I'm not looking at any Bengals players and saying they need to be traded away. That said, the only "untouchables" I'd keep are Burrow, obviously and one of Gio/Mixon. Everyone else is available for the right price. The right price is either upgrades at the OL or high draft picks (depending on the player).

We need to look at who we can get, figure out what the price is and see if we have it AND we're willing to pay it.

I’d also have Jonah as untouchable. It would kind of defeat the purpose to trade him if the intent is upgrading the OL.

Reply/Quote
(10-15-2020, 11:26 AM)PhilHos Wrote: I think some of you are looking at this wrong. I'm not looking at any Bengals players and saying they need to be traded away. That said, the only "untouchables" I'd keep are Burrow, obviously and one of Gio/Mixon. Everyone else is available for the right price. The right price is either upgrades at the OL or high draft picks (depending on the player).

No, I think you are looking at this wrong. 

The Bengals have a number of players who won't be in their plans for next year - be it that they'll be cap casualties, free agents that aren't priority to re-sign or players in need of a fresh start. We need to extract whatever value we can for them now because we won't get anything for them in the off-season if we cut them or they walk (assuming we'll be active in free agency we won't get any compensatory picks, but the team we trade them to might be able to). It makes no sense to hang onto them and we need to increase our draft capital considering all our holes.

We're not going to get high draft picks or an upgrade at the OL. Outside of Burrow, Bates, Lawson, Jackson and Jonah we simply don't have the value to offer other teams for a high draft pick and who wants to be trading a serviceable O-lineman mid-season? The best we can do is collect as many 5th, 6th and 7th round picks (and future picks) as we can. Maybe if we can collect enough we can then use them to trade up to get that extra high draft pick.

And if someone wants to trade good O-linemen for Mixon and Gio I'm snapping their hand off. There's no way they should be on the untouchable list. Good O-line is way more important than a good RB. A good O-line can carry a poor RB whereas we know only too well that you can have a top 5(?) RB and still not have a functioning running game without an O-line who can open up running lanes.
Reply/Quote
(10-14-2020, 06:49 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Who in the hell is trading for Alex Erickson?

Man, JN never disappoints with some of it's trade talk.  

It wasn't that long ago I was trying to explain to people that Dre Kirkpatrick and Cordy Glenn had no trade value.  One guy valued both at at least a 3rd.  I got a lot of "You mean to tell me another team is going to give something for a starting..."

And John Ross?  Guy isn't even good enough to dress for a lower tier team, that is devoid of a deep threat, even though that's the only thing he can do.  You really think some team wants to give up something for that guy, and take on the rest of a 5+ mll salary?

As decimated as the Jets are with Injuries, they could be interested in either Erickson or Ross.  They have Crowder in the slot, though, so I would sure be dangling Ross.  Better than rotting on our bench.  If you got a 5th round pick....at least it would be at the very top of the 5th round.  
Reply/Quote
What sane general manager wants to trade for underperforming and overrated players from a 3-17-1 team?
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2020, 09:17 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: What sane general manager wants to trade for underperforming and overrated players from a 3-17-1 team?

I can guarantee you that next year there will be a handful or so of Bengals from this 3-17-1 roster who will be on other team's rosters.

We don't need to restrict ourselves to dealing with sane GMs. There will be desperate GMs as well. But there will also be GMs who spot value and that their scheme and coaches may be able to get more out of a player than our scheme and coaches; or players will benefit from a fresh start.
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2020, 09:17 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: What sane general manager wants to trade for underperforming and overrated players from a 3-17-1 team?

We all sit here and scream that the coaching staff is horrendous.  So if we are correct, then the other GMs around the league know that to be true as well.  If the coaches are as bad as being stated around here, then there is talent that is being wasted and could help a well coached team.

Now, with all of that said, our luck dictates that the only trade we would make would be to give up a high pick for a 3rd string QB.
Reply/Quote
After everything that's happened recently I would update this list to more people.

Ross
AJ
Gio
Phillips
Geno
Carlos
Jackson III
Lawson
Erickson

Hell at this point it might be easier to look around and ask who wants to stay, I think Zac has lost the locker room . Regardless of what I want I can almost guarantee the Bengals will make zero trades, they just don't do it. Ross maybe since he's being public about it.
Confucius say, he who go to bed with itchy butt wake up with smelly finger.
Reply/Quote
(10-14-2020, 04:57 PM)WestCoastBengalsFan Wrote: Will the Bengals do anything? AJ wants out and Ross has been benched, those are the obvious guys that don't fit anymore but I don't think anyone would trade for them with their cost (AJ) and their lack of consistency (Ross). So would could/should the Bengals trade? Here's the list of players I think it makes sense to trade:

1. Lawson (sell high, we aren't getting a great pass rush anyway and we aren't going to make the playoffs, trade him for Oline help and a future pick to a team on the cusp of being a contender)
2. Jackson III (hasn't been completely consistent but assuming Trae Waynes is back in full force next year we could trade him for some Oline help this year)
3. Erickson (he's no really involved in the pass game and pretty much just fair catches every punt, he's a consistent guy you can count on to do his task either teams may need this, maybe trade for a backup Oline guy that has potential growth or a late pick)
4. Gio  (he's not being used) he still can play but RB's are easy to come by and Traveyon is younger and waiting in the wings. Maybe trade him while we still can to someone that will use him as a pass catching 3rd down RB the way the Bengals should be using him.
5. Ross/AJ but I don't think anyone will take them on, especially AJ with his cost/injury history. Maybe Ross for like a 5th Rd someone might take a chance?

Just took a shot at this stuff and I'm not usually very good at predicting trades in the NFL, others with more insight feel free to critique or make your own suggestions of what we should do.

I keep both Lawson and WJ3 and extend them next year if they continue to play the way they are.

Bring in Quinton Spain, trade Geno and Dunlap in a dual trade. Get whatever, would take a 4th for both these guys.

AJ I hope plays well the next few weeks and we can get a 4th for him.

In FA bring in at least a top Guard and a top OT. Draft trenches early and often.
Reply/Quote
Bad new, guys...

I just saw Katie and Troy have scheduled a cross country trip to Wally World the first week in November.

It looks like we're sitting this one out again.
Reply/Quote
CBSSports said Green could go to Green Bay for a 4th.

They also say Julio Jones could go to the Raiders, so I am guessing Green would also be a possibility to the Raiders.

Only way we get any offers for Dunlap or Atkins will be from Minnesota (Zimmer) or the Raiders (Guenther).
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2020, 03:53 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Bad new, guys...

I just saw Katie and Troy have scheduled a cross country trip to Wally World the first week in November.

It looks like we're sitting this one out again.
Sorry folks, park's closed.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
The only thing I hate worse than Pittsburgh football...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

SLIM--gone, but never forgotten...

Original Bengals message boards
Rep Points: 4726

Reply/Quote
(10-22-2020, 04:25 PM)fredtoast Wrote: CBSSports said Green could go to Green Bay for a 4th.

They also say Julio Jones could go to the Raiders, so I am guessing Green would also be a possibility to the Raiders.

Only way we get any offers for Dunlap or Atkins will be from Minnesota (Zimmer) or the Raiders (Guenther).

Probably right, would take whatever for those guys should be our mentality at this point.

Get the best offer possible though of course.
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2020, 02:49 PM)WestCoastBengalsFan Wrote: After everything that's happened recently I would update this list to more people.

Ross
AJ
Gio
Phillips
Geno
Carlos
Jackson III
Lawson
Erickson

Hell at this point it might be easier to look around and ask who wants to stay, I think Zac has lost the locker room . Regardless of what I want I can almost guarantee the Bengals will make zero trades, they just don't do it. Ross maybe since he's being public about it.

I’d be against trading WJ3. We’d either have to use yet another high draft pick on a CB (when both OL & DL are far bigger needs) or overpay another FA (like we just did in Waynes).

Re-signing WJ3 should be one of the top priorities of this offseason, imo.

Reply/Quote
(10-22-2020, 07:56 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I’d be against trading WJ3. We’d either have to use yet another high draft pick on a CB (when both OL & DL are far bigger needs) or overpay another FA (like we just did in Waynes).

Re-signing WJ3 should be one of the top priorities of this offseason, imo.

Agreed. You got a pretty good CB, keep him and have him play man coverage almost exclusively on the other team's best WR's.
Reply/Quote
Off that list...Ross is the only likely candidate; but his value isn't good. I'm guessing it has something to do with his blocking that they've been going with the other WRs over him. I expected to see Ross as our 4th option, but they gave up on him pretty early this year. Might be a good idea to throw him back in the mix as our 4th wideout to increase trade value, but I don't really care what they do with that 4th WR spot--just happy we have the top 3 we have!
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2020, 09:00 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: As decimated as the Jets are with Injuries, they could be interested in either Erickson or Ross.  They have Crowder in the slot, though, so I would sure be dangling Ross.  Better than rotting on our bench.  If you got a 5th round pick....at least it would be at the very top of the 5th round.  

I like it. Maybe package Ross and a 3rd for Quinnen Williams? Word is Jets want a 2nd for him and no one is buying
Reply/Quote
(10-14-2020, 06:54 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Didn't MB say it isn't his job to make other teams better?  Getting another team to give up a pick for John Ross is the opposite of making them better, so he might actually try to get it done.  Or he will doze off in his recliner while watching Green Acres reruns while Pumpkin and Mr. Pumpkin go skiing.

Trading our guys to other teams makes those teams worse.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2020, 01:29 PM)jason Wrote: Trading our guys to other teams makes those teams worse.

Nope. Ross is gonna go to Pittsburgh and be a HoFer just like Burfict was when we let him go and he went there.  Ninja 
Reply/Quote